MFP New Years Resolutions (the lighter side)

Options

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    suziecue20 wrote: »
    If we are talking about spelling -
    I will never eat a donut - I will eat a doughnut.
    I will never eat yogurt - I will eat yoghurt.
    I will not see red when I see the word colour spelt color.

So many extra letters...
    I like donuts, yogurt and coloring.
  • Carlos_421
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Armor. Theater. Flavor.

I could go on all day :p

And I wish it was under armor instead of under armour.

ETA I'm being facetious.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options

Armor. Theater. Flavor.

Those are cultural language differences, not misspellings.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »

Armor. Theater. Flavor.

Those are cultural language differences, not misspellings.

So are color, or donuts, or yogurt.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Nope you're just getting English wrong

*leggsit*
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

*leggsit*

goaway
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »

*leggsit*

go away

See? :huh:

FIFY

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    oneoddsock wrote: »

Courgette. Aubergine. Biscuits.

Miss, miss, (waving hand in air widly)
    It's biscuits

(eta, sorry about that it just read as child answering teacher's odd man out question)
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    It would be very boring without cultural differences but English is English. [edited]
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    It would be very boring without cultural differences but English is English. [edited]

But I don't live in England. :D
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    I resolve to keep the fun 2016 resolution thread going until 2017.

(maybe)
  • suziecue20
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I don't live in England either Carlos. I live in Wales [which has its own language] but the English language is the English language.
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I posted this on another thread just now, but I resolve to discontinue the cause of protecting other people's internet feelings. It is not my job to police bullying, and at the end of the day has no effect on me or my life. "mean" people, "nice" people, unless their conversation is aimed at me I shall just smile and nod. Then again if their conversation is aimed at me I will probably only smile and nod. To shorten this, my resolve is to smile and nod.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The English language is (obviously) spoken in many places besides England, so I don't get the point of saying the English language is the English language. Also, like all languages, it has changed over time and will continue to do so. Shakespeare couldn't even figure out how to spell his own name, surely we can have our diverse spellings and preferences about them.

Unrelated point -- I really want to go to Wales.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    The English language is (obviously) spoken in many places besides England, so I don't get the point of saying the English language is the English language. Also, like all languages, it has changed over time and will continue to do so. Shakespeare couldn't even figure out how to spell his own name, surely we can have our diverse spellings and preferences about them.

Go to a field, with sheep ...pour a bucket of water on your head ..it will be a close enough representation

;)

• Sued0nim
    Options
    I posted this on another thread just now, but I resolve to discontinue the cause of protecting other people's internet feelings. It is not my job to police bullying, and at the end of the day has no effect on me or my life. "mean" people, "nice" people, unless their conversation is aimed at me I shall just smile and nod. Then again if their conversation is aimed at me I will probably only smile and nod. To shorten this, my resolve is to smile and nod.

Why would you have taken it upon yourself to do that in the first place? How do you know feelings were hurt (Honest question...am intrigued)
  • suziecue20
    Options

Go to a field, with sheep ...pour a bucket of water on your head ..it will be a close enough representation

;)

Ah Wales - where the men are men and the sheep are frightened >:)

• suziecue20
    Options
    Oh I'm joking about the spelling lol - good grief a Southerner in England can't even understand what a Northerner is saying, let alone spell it.
  • suziecue20
    Options

;)

Spot on Rabbit - if it doesn't stop f'ing raining soon I'm going to start building an Ark!!
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options

Why would you have taken it upon yourself to do that in the first place? How do you know feelings were hurt (Honest question...am intrigued)

Ah ha, and here you see is the issue. I don't :) Assumptions have been made! I am a champion, often of lost or nonexistent causes. So when I see someone whom I think is being talked to unkindly some annoying voice starts in my head about protecting them. It is ridiculous I am aware. I think it is from years of working with kids and senior citizens, and the need for everyone around me to be happy. But I have been rigorously working on it because it is not my job. I am not touchy feely, or very emotional (my friend once told me if I was any less emotional I would be in a coma), so I am not sure why I always think other people are. Anyway long story short, I don't know and I need to stop caring one way or the other unless ask for my assistance.