WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2016

Options

Replies

• miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Lilacs flower best in full sun. You often find them in part shade because they are such long lived shrubs that the trees nearby have grown tall enough to block their sun. My white one and one lavender one were planted beside my house, probably around 1900. I have to let them grow 15 feet tall to get enough sun to bloom. I planted three others in full sun, and two dwarf Korean lilacs (bloom later and even better scent) in full sun too. One is in my hell strip so people walking by can enjoy the scent. This year is the first year it bloomed (3 year old shrub now) and it is heaven as one walks by.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Margaret: Your lilacs are gorgeous. Thanks for sharing. :star: I agree with your advice to Joyce.

I had a call from DD a little while ago. She decided to drive up and see the house where my parents lived in West Salem. She was very pleased with what she saw and even took a picture of the backyard to share. It is a gift to know the house is occupied by people who care for it well. :flowerforyou:

DH got a birthday skype call from our son and DDIL a few minutes ago, and I was included in the conversation. It was great. We got to see their new house in Virginia. It is a rowhouse with nice light and good space. They're pleased with it & have invited us to visit. We haven't set any dates yet, but look forward to visiting there. :heart:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Hi gals,

Heather – Oakland is 30-45 min drive or you can hop on public transport So from San Francisco I am east and slightly south… a bit inland.

Klanders – great on the honesty, not for us but for you!!!!

Lisa – glad the sale went well – I thought of you at 7am my time which was 10 your time, and I hope all was good.

Miriam – I have one woman who complains about my relaxed gardening – but everytime she complains to the city, her hubby calls and tells them she is just jealous….

Margaret – love the lilacs, it is so interesting to really learn about the weather across the usa here…. As lilacs were gone here at Easter this year… and I have baby green tomatoes on my plants. And the shade question is very climate/water dependent - in my part of CA we have to do morning sun, as with our water restrictions the 80-100 weather all summer would fry the bush or we would have to water more than the Water Powers that be want us to.

Joyce – a full work up with the Dr and prescription review?

Newbies – welcome!!!! Just keep signing with something for us to call you, and visit a bunch and slowly we will all learn each others names….

Feeling a bit crazed, but no real reason for it…I think it is the back to back events, but I have planned and it should not be bad…. I’m fixing dinner for a friend and I tomorrow night, then out of town company for Friday, Saturday, Sunday - we are out to eat one night, lasagna one night (I made the sauce today, and will put it together and freeze it), and then something else the last night I gave her some choices but have not heard back. I do need to figure out breakfasts and a lunch. She eats very differently than I do, she is heavy on protein, and light on veggies- I’m the opposite – so that is a bit of a challenge. And while I am not a vegetarian, I do nuts, beans, tofu, fish for protein more often and she does lots of lunch meat… She will be gone one full day at a family event – I am a combo of hotel and visit… Then Monday I have 8 for a Mexican fiesta – it’s my book club… And I need to get that menu locked down… I’m doing – chip and salsa starter with margaritas, then chicken enchiladas, and ?, salad and I think homemade pineapple gelato and churros… I can do the enchiladas and the gelato ahead, and the ? item will be something I can do ahead too…

So trying to get sewing done ahead, cleaning and the yard tidied up…

Smiles.

Kim from N. California
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Joyce, I agree. It is time to see the doctor.

I almost got drawn into discussion board drama last week on another board that I frequent, but I finally just dropped it. I don't know why this particular woman decided to attack me, but I decided the drama wasn't worth it. It was a financial peace message board, the thread was about furniture that you bought but later regretted. The originator of the thread posted a picture of these lovely glass topped tables with curvy intricate wooden pedestals that were a booger-bear to dust. Not her, but a different woman posted that glass tables were passé anyway. Trying to be funny (but I apparently insulted her instead), I posted "Shucky darn! I'm going to have to get rid of my tables in my sunroom." She replied, "well, if you care that much about what people think of you, I guess you should." So I explained that I was just kidding. It was sarcasm. I had no intention of getting rid of my perfectly good tables. To which she replied "Captain Obvious!" This was when I bowed out of the thread. Even though this was a stranger, it still hurt my feelings. I don't know if what I posted could have possibly upset her enough to retaliate as she did or if she was just trolling trying to get a rise out of me. Either way, it's not how I want to spend my time.

As for Facebook, I just have to practice lots and lots of restraint. Between the presidential election and the transgender bathroom debate, there are just way too many opportunities to get mad and to get sucked in. I keep my mouth.

This is why I love you guys. Unconditional support!

• Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Oh what a laaaazy Suuuuunday... (yep I sang that....to the tune of "Oh What a Beautiful Mornin") I haven't done much of anything today. Did get up early to drive (even before I had my cuppa) to Fred Meyers grocery store to get a Sunday Paper for dear husband. Then I bought their special Belgian Waffles that they carry because I had a coupon...then special berry syrup well because dear husband likes that brand. OK I spoil him. I asked him if he wanted to have the waffles and he sighs and says, "You are so silly when I am injured, you asked me if I liked them, and I said yes, so then you buy them?" In my head my answer was " um DUH". In my head his saying he likes them, means I get them right? Communication is a tricky thing.....

Tonight is cube steak, fried for husband and breaded for son. And fries for both of them to fight over. Me? I don't really know. I had tuna boats for lunch today, and they were BIG boats so I'm really not that hungry....

Oooh I did have fun today on Facebook adding some cousins I haven't chatted to in YEARS. They think of me as little Becky. It was fun telling them, I AM OLD NOW!!

Middle son is getting our boxes so that is cool. My eldest called yesterday and he is in California helping his squadron get re-qualified for deployment. (What that really means is they keep the jets up and running while the pilots get qualified). It's all about the pilots but without my son where would they be, with a broken jet thats where!

Still in a bit of a slump being accountable these days. Reality happens when you are busy makin plans! To sit down and write my food seems so un-important right now. I have more important things on my mind.

((hugs)))
    Becca
    Oregon
  • tryingtolive1
    tryingtolive1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Finished up yard work today. Wish I could enjoy working in my yard like some of you do. I dread it all the time. Back in the day when I was married we did it together. For some reason it was more enjoyable back then. Maybe because it was time together.

Met a friend at the bar today had a drink and talked for awhile. We are going to a concert on Wednesday night. Took Thursday off since it will be a really late night. Dreading being all by myself all day Thursday though. Still am not comfortable with alot of time by myself. Working on getting there though.

On a good note it was sunny but cool outside. The dog got to run around for awhile outside. She hates the cold so this time of the year she wants to go outside all the time.

Anne from Wisconsin
  • Katla49
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    Oh what a laaaazy Suuuuunday...

Still in a bit of a slump being accountable these days. Reality happens when you are busy makin plans! To sit down and write my food seems so un-important right now. I have more important things on my mind.

((hugs)))
    Becca
    Oregon

Becca, taking good care of your own health is the most important thing you can do. It is number one. If you aren't healthy, you can't really take care of your family. Then what will your guys do? Taking care of you isn't selfish at all. Keep track of your food as you eat it. Then it won't seem like a big task. ((((HUGS))))

Katla, who is definitely older and, hopefully, wiser than she used to be . . .
  • CSSJ09
    CSSJ09 Posts: 296 Member
    Options

I think I am gaining weight at an alarming rate. It as about 2 weeks ago that I was around 205. Today I weighed 219.8. My legs are huge. I really need to measure my ankle and calf when I wake up and then again when I go to bed. I know there was a huge difference when I came home from church and that was only a 4 hour difference. I thought about what Heather said about when she could hardly walk up the steps to her flat and now she does wonderful. We have 2 flights of steps going up from the choir rehearsal room. They are about the same amount as our steps here at home, just steeper. It is quite difficult for my legs and lungs to make that climb but I quickly recover. I do have a little bit of cough for no reason. Time for me to call and get appointment with nurse practitioner.I want to know why my jaw suddenly went from no arthritis to severe, my hips really bothering me, the bursitis never stops. My body seems to be attacking me.

Joyce, Indiana[/quote]
    Joyce Please see your doctor or nurse practitioner immediately! I am not a doctor but one of the aid projects I did dealt with monitoring chronic medical conditions in rural patients using telemedicine. Unexplained weight gain in a short period of time is a red flag for a number of issues. We don't want anything untoward happening to you.

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Janet, check out this site for information about shrubs, including lilacs in OK.
    http://pods.dasnr.okstate.edu/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-5816/HLA-6439web.pdf

Thanks, Miriam, I'll check it out. I looked them up earlier and read a little bit, told hubby I wanted one or two or three. :) As a kid growing up in Denver, my mom always had lilacs. Everyone did it seemed. Wonder why that isn't so any more.

Janetr okc
  • jillxander64
    jillxander64 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Annie
    I am 51 and put the weight on quickly. I was 178 3 years ago and now 226 At 178 I wanted to lose about 10 pounds but instead gained and gained. Had thyroid test done. Negative. I cannot seem to get back into eating better. Courses cant stick to it very long anyway lol. I really need to get this off. I hate exercise. 6 years ago I was addicted to exercise and kept the weight off but now I hate it. I also have bad knees and one right now is in a brace so I cannot do much. I will say I do better when I log my food intake which I can't seem to remember to do. I need a partner. Years ago I didn't have to worry about this. Ugh.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is Charlie's colonoscopy. It's at noon. I will call my PCP office tomorrow morning and see when I can get in. One problem I have is that my neurocardiogenic syncope I can't be on a water pill and need to keep my sodium level around 2300 mg. When I started this several years ago I tried to keep it around 1500 mg. So I feel I am taking in to much sodium but cardiologist says I need to. But getting hubbie's test done tomorrow is my priority. As far as seeing some one tonight, I am doing clean up duty from his prep, scrubbing floor, doing laundry, and trying to act as encourager.

Joyce, Indiana
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Annr wrote: »
    Oh what a laaaazy Suuuuunday...

((hugs)))
    Becca
    Oregon

Becca, taking good care of your own health is the most important thing you can do. It is number one. If you aren't healthy, you can't really take care of your family. Then what will your guys do? Taking care of you isn't selfish at all. Keep track of your food as you eat it. Then it won't seem like a big task. ((((HUGS))))

Katla, who is definitely older and, hopefully, wiser than she used to be . . .

Becca, ditto everything Katla said. Take a minute, close your eyes and remember that feeling of empowerment you described to us. Now write down your food and proceed forward with your "willowy" self. Big (((hugs))) we love you and care about you always.

Janetr okc
  • janetr7476
    Options
    I have a sort of NSV this week. For the first time in years, I walked on the treadmill with out my knee braces all three days. I attribute the ability to do this to the weight training I have been doing three times a week for two months. Making my replaced knee joints stronger and more flexible.

Janetr okc
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,389 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of pilates today. The plan for tomorrow is to do a pilates Bun & Thigh DVD (I need to really see what it's like), hold my plank, then take the extremepump class.

Made icing for the cupcakes that I'm taking to Colby. This is a recipe that I got years ago when I was taking a cake decorating class. It calls for 2 cups of shortening. Kim - would one cup of shortening and one cup of softened butter work? To me, the shortening was just too flavor-less.

then put down weedkiller since it's in the 70's here today. Then we inflated my float for the pool (now I'm all ready, just waiting on Mother Nature), put air in my bike tires, shook out the grass carpet from in front of the cat's litterboxes, put more velcro as needed on the Rummikub squares so we can use it in the pool. Now here for a bit

Joan - welcome! There's quite a few of us North Carolineans here.

klanders - one thing I learned from my no driving was how very much exercise is important to me and how important it is to me to at least some be in a class. I've basically given up going to the one branch of the Y because I used to go real early and I know that there's no way Vince would take me there early. In April I counted the donation money at my church. Last year what I'd do is take the extremepump class and then drive to the church. I couldn't ask Vince to do that so I gave up the extremepump class just for the month of April. Then there were two weeks when we had Newcomer meetings so I missed my deep water class. By the time the following week got here, I couldn't wait to take the deep water class. Just need to be with people.

Put most of the things in the suitcase to take with me to VA. Still need to get my food ready, will probably do that tomorrow. After making that icing, ran the dishwasher. Even tho there wasn't much, it's really hard to get that shortening off the utensils. Only hot water will do it. and I can't stand the water as hot as it need to be.

Lisa - so glad the sale went well

KJ - good for you having that "no electronics" rule. Yesterday when we went to dinner before the show, there was this couple outside eating. Both the wife and husband were texting while the baby just sat there. How sad!

teresa - welcome. Say, I have a cleaning question for you. I got something blue on my shirt, I'm thinking that it's the blue from the kickboards that I took out of the pool shed and brought up by the pool. Can I just throw this in the washer, or do I need to pretreat the stain?

Lenora - did I miss it? Did you have a seizure? This 6 month driving restriction s**** big time. I'm half way there, three more months to go. Now I'm just the opposite of you regarding reading. As a child, I couldn't get enough books. As an adult, I don't read that many

Nikki - Florida in July and August is the pits, believe me. So glad you had a good time. Any other time, Florida is nice, just not in July and August. Wonder how people survived before the invention of air conditioning?

Margaret - lilacs always remind me of my grandmother. She had these lilac bushes and she'd always bring some in the house and put them in vases on either side of her statue

Joyce - I hear ya about the term "skinny jeans". I can't wear them, they're too tight for my calves and feel too uncomfortable. Even straight leg ones. Still can't wait for them to go out of style. Please take care of yourself. We all need you I truly hope the NP can give you some good answers

Michele in NC
  • GodMomKim
    Options
    Michele - are you "decorating" ie roses and fancy stuff, or just smoothing on frosting. The flavor of decorator icing is supposed to be sugar - yep that's it sugar and it is supposed to look amazing, and be pure white so the colors are true... but if you are smoothing on frosting and you want less control, not as worried about color - then butter or chocolate or other flavoring is fine. I would stay away from the butter flavored shortening as that is just artificial flavoring...

kim in n.cal
  • GodMomKim
    Options
    Becca - Willowy becca!!! DH can be "left alone" for the few minutes it takes to keep to your logging.... Your son in CA would not be at Camp Parks would he?

Kim
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    No-one-is-going-to-make-my-dreams-come-true.jpg
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,353 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Awake early. Restless sleep. Aches and pains. The usual.
    But it's a beautiful morning! I have three large lilacs, one a darker purple, so every May my garden looks at its best. The apple blossom is also out and the forget me nots are rioting. Behind us we have a field of buttercups. :D
    All my veggies are in the front garden, in raised beds. The previous owners did it like that because there is an old clay tennis court under the back garden. No depth of soil.
    The back lawn is looking very good at the moment. DH bought a new lawnmower which gives light stripes. :D Twice a year a professional company comes to do the weedkilling, fertilising, aerating and scarifying. It has made the world of difference. We used to have more moss and weeds than grass, so it was brown in the dry weather. Now we have a green sward. :bigsmile: They are coming this Wednesday.

Looking forward to seeing my friend today. Just got to think about what to do about tonight's dinner after a restaurant lunch. I'm thinking seabass with lots of vegetables. DH can add potatoes. He has lost a few pounds and needs feeding up. I don't like him dropping too much weight. He'll probably put on some on the cruise though.

Got to get our morning cup of tea going.

Love Heather UK
  • Katla49
    Options
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    We mispronounce words all the time on purpose and try to get as many negatives as possible in one sentence.
    Anniespruce - My favorite in this genre is this sentence (not of my own construction): "Heck, ain't nobody round here knows nothing about nothing nohow."
    Margaret wrote: I think lilacs like our cooler temps up here in Minnesota. I remember going to a retirement party here and that was the retiree remark was now they had time to enjoy the lilacs when they bloom. They only bloom for a couple of weeks.

I remember Minnesota lilacs from when I was growing up there. :heart: They usually bloomed around my birthday and my mother would decorate my cake with them. Lilacs may like Minnesota cool, but they don't thrive in northern Norway. It must be the short season or the midnight sun or something, because it doesn't ever get as cold here as it does in Minnesota!

During Swedish springs, first the bird cherry trees (link here) are covered with racemes of white blossoms, then a week or two later the lilacs kick in. It's a marvelous time of year but fleeting; it always goes by too quickly. There's a tale about a cobbler who would lock up his shop every year, leaving a sign on the door: Closed between bird cherry and lilac. (Stängt mellan hägg och syren.)

Joyce - I wonder if your troubles are indirectly related to your tooth extraction. Being a person with autoimmune issues myself, I've noticed that if my body has to mobilize and defend itself against one threat, the effect often spills over and causes pain in completely different areas. A minor infection will cause sore joints or a rash or something. You wrote: My body seems to be attacking me. That may be exactly what's happening! Have it checked up, please... (((((hugs)))))

My husband arrived home (in northern Norway) yesterday and we drove out to our holiday home on the island. This is the place with the webcamera and all the wildlife. It's SOOO peaceful here! Way out in the country at the end of the public road, so there's no traffic. I slept like a baby. Literally. Sound sleep with intervals of waking, like a baby. Every time I woke up, there was something going on outside. Hares hopping by singly or in groups. Geese grazing on the meadow below the house. Various denominations of small birds. And ptarmigans galore! One time I stood at the window for 10 minutes watching a couple of ptarmigan *kitten* quarrel over hens and territory. No motorized traffic, but it was like Grand Central Station! Yet utterly peaceful.

I'm doing well weight-wise. The upward trend I had a while ago has come under control and turned downward. Heather speaks of being rid of her "pesky pound" before the cruise. I'd also like to be rid of a few pesky kilos before that cruise. I won't do anything crazy to get there, though. (Not that Heather would either.) I'll just focus on getting in as good shape as I can before the half-marathon June 4 and that should take care of Heather's visit too. B)

Now I'm off to commune with Stina, my sourdough starter. Have a lovely day!
    /Penny, not exactly at the emoticon-object-026.gif