How many calories do you consume for breakfast?

Options

Replies

• framingsammie
    framingsammie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Anywhere between 300-600ish. I'm normally at the higher end though, breakfast is my favourite :)
  • MrsSenecal
    MrsSenecal Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Usually 200-300
  • eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    zero
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Around 140-210. (2eggs - 2eggs with cheese, or protein bar)

For what it's worth: See the New England Journal of Medicine, http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMsa1208051 (pay walled) and this is from 2013-- Two studies found eating breakfast had no effect on weight loss and another one suggested that the effect depended on if they usually eat breakfast or not as to if it had any effect.

In other news (from the last 5 years that everyone ignores or thinks they are special and it doesn't apply to them...):

The whole "eat 4-6 meals a day" for weight loss myth has been thoroughly debunked as well (exception being: people working out a lot. Often its difficult for them to get enough calories/nutrients in 3 meals.)

and... last but not least the whole "eating before bed promotes weight gain" has been debunked repeatedly as well... although, they did note a correlation between late eating and higher than normal sized meals. However when portions are controlled there is no difference in weight gain or loss between groups eating early and late.
  • SunOfMan
    SunOfMan Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    400-600

I love breakfast so much. Sometimes I'm thinking about it when I go to bed! :D
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    It depends on the day. During the summer, I tend to eat around 200 calories for breakfast and then have a snack later that's another 200 or so. During the school year, I almost always have an omelette and yogurt with granola, plus something sweet. This adds up to around 700 or so? My goal is 1700/day, and I dance 3-5 hours a day during the school year.
  • serenadesha
    Options
    None.

If I eat breakfast, I feel hungry all day and have a hard time feeling full no matter what I eat that day. Eating the same thing I would normally eat for breakfast, but waiting until 11 or so and having it for lunch, I quickly feel full and have enough energy to make it through the day.
  • branson101
    branson101 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    3/4c fiber one cereal
    3/4c vanilla almond milk
  • Aylawade
    Aylawade Posts: 22
    Options
    Usually zero. I like to feel somewhat full so I save my calories for lunch and supper. Lunch- about 500 100 for a mini Dr. Pepper and 600 for supper. Total of 1200
  • fitwithcurves
    fitwithcurves Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    150-200. I'm usually not that hungry in the morning, so I stick to smoothies or oatmeal.
  • jmejiaa
    jmejiaa Posts: 21
    Options
    Surprised people don't eat more calories earlier in the day -- they're easier to burn! I usually eat a spinach scramble with two egg whites (sometimes I use a whole egg) and 2% cheddar jack or a couple Jennie-O Turkey links plus whole wheat bread -- it all averages out to be around 280 calories. If you have fruit, such as a banana or strawberries, it goest to a little over 300.. Just add tea, coffee or diet soda.

I'm eating about 1400-1600 calories a day, so I try to keep all meals under 600 calories.

Doesn't matter when you eat your calories, your body will burn the same amount of calories in a day.

If you're burning 2k cal a day that's all you're burning.. Doesn't matter when you ate them.
  • jmejiaa
    jmejiaa Posts: 21
    Options
    None, I rather eat bigger meals later in the day.

Huge lunch and a huge dinner with maybe some oatmeal in between keeps me happy.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    About 600.
  • wildcatnyc
    wildcatnyc Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    200-300 calories...I eat six times a day, so I have six 150-300 calorie meals throughout the day.
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I don't do breakfast, and yes I know this is bad because of not kick starting my metabolism and whatnot, but I just can't do it. I have tried, I've made myself eat a "proper" breakfast, just a go-ahead bar, just a cup of tea, I just can't do anything until late morning / lunch time.

Saves on the calories the rest of the day though! ;)
  • Laac68
    Laac68 Posts: 55
    Options
    I have consumed as much as 800 calories for breakfast. This is one of the main reasons why I need to track daily. Today I consumed a little over 300, but I think it was because I had a cup of tea before breakfast this morning.
  • Deejae2013
    Deejae2013 Posts: 14
    Options
    I use the 1200 also, and I shoot for 300 for each meal and 3 snacks throughout the day. On some days you may want to change it up if you're eating out or treating yourself to some kind of special treat.. Also, if you're the kind of person that need to feel fuller in the evening, eat light for breakfast and lunch and save the most calories for dinner before 7 or 8pm..
  • RebeccaSarah16
    Options
    200-300 I have a bowl of granola, a cup of tea and maybe a yogurt:)
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Usually 300-500 cals. It depends on what program I am doing and where I am at in it.
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    No more than 400. Sometimes I only have coffee with creamer until around 10:30 or 11:00.

I'm doing around 1700 calories a day, and I'm really not a "breakfast person," so I prefer to have a big lunch and then spend the rest of my calories on dinner.