How many calories do you consume for breakfast?

Options
12345679»

Replies

• joetalk
    joetalk Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Surprised people don't eat more calories earlier in the day -- they're easier to burn!

I don't understand why it's easier to burn.

It isn't, this kind of thinking ignores that the total calories for the day are the thing.

Have 'em all at dinner if it suits your life and energy levels.

Which is wot I do, 'coz it works for me. :)

On topic, around 30 calories of milk in my coffee, that does me until around 7:30pm ... It's not like I'm bricklaying or digging holes during the day ...

i may have missed another members replies to this, but here is a some info based on the reading ive done.

having more calories in the day will often help to increase a persons metabolism, especially when and if a steady income of calories persists throughout the rest of the day

its a fact that a calorie is a calorie is a calorie, but when we consume foods in different ways, our body behaves different, thus the thinking that earlier calories are often burned off easier or faster, and in a way its true, because a person who consumes food within every 2 hours, even just a couple of bites... will burn more calories and have a larger possible allotment for consumption...

or so the reading ive done has suggested... while i dont think the goal of increasing my consumption is one to aim for, increasing my metabolism is ....

just my two bits.. surely not the only perspective...
  • joetalk
    joetalk Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I don't do breakfast, and yes I know this is bad because of not kick starting my metabolism and whatnot, but I just can't do it. I have tried, I've made myself eat a "proper" breakfast, just a go-ahead bar, just a cup of tea, I just can't do anything until late morning / lunch time.

Saves on the calories the rest of the day though! ;)

You're fine. That whole kickstarting thing is a myth.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html

Look at myth#1`

i just read this post and much of the extensive information posted in the link, it all sounds great and the author really seems to point out some facts that you dont often find discussed

but just so others know, there are many different perspectives on this topic and to date this is the first ive read from any RD or dietary material that suggests what he is suggesting, while i believe in the big business gaining on our consumption of meal supplements as suggested in the articles, i am far from personally convinced that he is accurate... just based on what ive learned about the bodies digestive system, but ive spent two years reading many, many different sources and the one common factor is...less spiking in blood sugars is always better, so a more even distribution of calories through the day, and or even the high end of calories consumed earlier allows for our bodies to "burn" these calories through the day rather than rest on them during the later and evening hours,

i certainly don't know whats best for another person, but while i struggle to get breakfasts in me, and prep healthy meals and consume food every couple of hours.... this process has always gotten me the largest and most noticeable changes in my size and weight

just my two bits
  • dshiro2010
    dshiro2010 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Depends..I'm limiting myself to a bowl of special K, 1 small cup of yogurt, or a cup of something caffeinated. My husband asked his doctor and he said make sure to eat breakfast, if you can't have a cup of something caffeinated to supplement.
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Around 200. (half a cup of rolled oats, half a cup of skim milk and one teaspoon of honey.)

^ I like
  • ckasap
    ckasap Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Anywhere from 300-400. It really depends on if I crack and take some cream in my coffee, lol. I've tried eating less than that but by around 11 I'm ready to claw out eyes for food.
  • mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Between 600 and 700 calories. I adjust the calories for dinner depending on how much I have consumed during the day.
  • kalamitykate83
    kalamitykate83 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Anything from 150 (cereal with unsweetened almond milk) to 400 (eggs, seeded bread, juice).

I don't get how people can't eat breakfast, it sets you up for the day massively in my opinion! I feel rubbish if I don't eat something within an hour of waking!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I strive for around 400-500 cal per meal with very few or no snacks. Breakfast is usually between 270-400 calories.
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    usually between 400-500 during the week (egg beaters with cheese or egg whites, BACON, biscuit/jam or grits/butter, coffee) and upwards of 1000-1200 on weekend days (cracker barrel or IHOP baby!) I play around with how i set my goal on MFP, but usually aim for about 1800-1900 calories per day. on the weekends I just eat what i want to. hey...nobody's perfect.

breakfast is only the most important meal of the day for some people. know your body. breakfast is essential for me. without it, i would not have any friends, a husband, or a job. i don't do hungry well :laugh:
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    90 calories worth of coffee-mate in my coffee.
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I vary between 150-250. It's either greek yougurt and coffee (black w/sweetener) or egg whites and fruit with coffee.

Today it was egg whites, a piece of cheese, 2 slices of 35 calorie bread, coffee and a kiwi, about 220.

I bank my calories for dinner because I tend to walk my dog about 3 or so miles in the evening and my husband is a non-MFPer so I have to work my dinner around him.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    roughly 350, depending what I put in my eggs
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    As many as I feel like for that day.
  • SutapaMukherji
    SutapaMukherji Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    200-300.

Keep them for the latter part of the day.
  • ohpretty
    ohpretty Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Usually 200-300 calories. My boyfriend brings me home a 240 breakfast sandwich which contains a good amount of protein and grains that generally keeps me full for a good while as well as a big cup of coffee with a little cream. Otherwise I'll have a Chobani Greek Yogurt with the coffee.