Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,576 Member
    Options
    }
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    Hello all: Got some yard work done this morning and then had PT right after lunch. On the way home I stopped to pick up some alfalfa for my older horse (she needs extra calories). It was cloudy at the time but dry. I was going to let DD help me put it in the barn but we had a sudden thunder storm and in the midst of it I had to wrangle an 85-pound bale of hay into the barn so it would not get wet. That should have burned a lot of calories!!

Well we lost our barn cat that came with the property when we bought it a year ago so we are getting new barn cats (2) from Barncats 'r' Us in Kent. DD and I are finishing an enclosure in one of the stalls in the barn. These are cats that are deemed nonadoptable as house pets but should be good hunters. We will provide food, water and shelter. They have to be confined for 2-3 weeks and then we can let them go. We have two kitty doors into our barn so they can go in and out even with the main doors closed. We opted for the neediest cats so it will be interesting to see what we get.

Heather - Glad you got to use your Norwegian. Sounds like you have had an overall nice trip.

Becca - Thanks for the all will be well quote. I was trying to think of it the other day for my best friend.

Everyone take care and have a great weekend. Sue in WA
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Linda/IA~ If men really built houses the way they REALLY wanted them, the living room and kitchen would be combined ....with the big tv, and the bathroom close by, but not too close. Or every end table was a mini frig... Hahahaha they would love that!
    Becca
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Karen – I’m glad that you have such a wonderful and supportive home schooling network. Not many places do. That’s what it will take. I’m sure that y’all are going to do what is in Griffin’s best interest. When you have a child that needs special attention … then this is probably the way to go. Good luck. If you were offended by anything I said, it wasn’t meant to be. Sorry. <3

I took Cracker back today to PetSmart and talked to the store manager about the treatment she got a week ago; when the girl bathed her and put conditioner on her, brushed her teeth, and did a few other things that dogs need to have done occasionally. I had taken my progress report from when she was clipped and bathed, nail filed, teeth cleaned, anal glands (whatever they do with them); and, told the manager that I did not get what I had paid for. She did not even smell any better than when I took her in for her bath the week before when I got home with her.

They gave us $11 off the clipping and gave her a deodorizing (de-skunking) bath at no charge. So my total bill was $13.01. I was so pleased with the way they 'took care of the situation' ... I will continue going back. But, I did mention that the woman in there the other day was a 'sourpuss', did not smile, did not greet me when I came in, nothing. They 'knew' exactly who I was talking about, too. The other clippers just looked at one another and starting laughing. They must have had others say something about it, as well. I was about to be a 'lost customer' if they did not rectify the situation satisfactorily. Sometimes you just have to speak up.

Took DOGD and one of her friends out to lunch today. It was 'good' but WAY too much food. I bet I did not even eat 1/3rd of it. If there had been a way to bring some of it home, I would have. Could not eat the breaded and fried mushrooms; I might have eaten 4 of them. I don't do 'fried' foods very well. I did eat the 4 pieces of buffalo wings/drumsticks. One bagel (they had 2 on the plate) and the pita chips; but, did not even make a dent in the dips it came with. I put down that I only ate 1/4th of it. Next time, if I go back, I will stick with just plain buffalo wings/drumsticks and leave the rest alone. Most restaurant put way too much food on your plate. One reason, I cut whatever I get and cut it in half and bring it home to eat the next day,

Lenora
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Sue in WA~ Officially the saying goes...."All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well". by Julian of Norwich. But my Aunt Lois was an optimist so she changed it to: "All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be exceedingly well." Which puts a more positive spin on it I think. She was a master ceramic artist and I have some of her simple glazed seals. She softened them by rubbing them with newspaper, giving them definition and some shading. She was an amazing woman raising 8 children, with a professor as a husband.
    Becca
    Oregon
  • pipcd34
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 10.39min, 14.5amph, 137mhr, 2.5mi = 91c
    SPIN- 45min, 100ar, 50aw, 6g, 133mhr, 9.2mi = 286c
    ride gym 2 wk, new open bridge- 54.26min, 12.1amph, 119ahr, 148mhr, 11mi = 447c
    ride dome 2 hm- 18.19min, 8.3amph, 148mhr, .2.5mi = 183c rain -
    total cal 1007, barely made it over 1k
  • pipcd34
    Options
    39.3miles to go. didn't ride home from work, it was raining and i'm tired
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,940 Member
    Options
    :)<3Joyce, you have met amazing challenges with Charlie's care and have done so with alacrity and a great sense of humor....I know that I am not the only woman on this thread that admires you and wishes you well.

:)<3Becca, you, too, have met huge challenges day in and day out both at home and on the highway...I raise my water glass as a toast to you

<3 Barbie
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Our hospital used to have a nursing school, where I went, and therefore has a whole dorm and class rooms. A lot of the classrooms are now used as offices but the dorm room are used as a 'hotel' now. The charge is very nominal and the rooms are like Barbie said only no kitchen. All of what Barbie tells about sounds like our McDonald house, It has a big kitchen that sometimes volunteers bring food in and sometimes the families do their own cooking.

Our state of Indiana has a free online home school program. The teachers have regular online video sessions with the students and parent. The online school does encourage joining with other families and having social activities. We have several families in our church that are part of a home school athletic program and have regular basketball games, dances, etc. My sister in law home schooled both my nephews. It was terrible. One month they were home schooled and then another month they were mad at Mom and wanted to be in a public school. Then the boys didn't like the regidity of public school like you had to be there and awake at 8 AM and didn't want to go there anymore. Or their discipline was so terrible the school kicked them out. Both of them eventually got their high school degree through home school. To this day I'm not sure how educated they are.

Joyce, Indiana
  • lilacroses622
    lilacroses622 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Just reading in, Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend. Next week will be better.

Martha
    Ontario Oregon
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    ✔️
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,355 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of a bosu DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do Prevention's Belly Butt and Thigh DVD.

Lenora - I didn't even now that Dale Evans and Roy Rogers lost a child! How wonderful (and true) of them to say something like that.

Kim - knowing how I am with raw cookie/brownie/cake, etc batter, I initially wouldn't want to tempt myself with all those goodies. Then again, when I was in high school I worked in a fast food restaurant where we got all the food we wanted for free for lunch when we worked. It took me YEARS before I'd have any fast food. So maybe it would be a good thing for me. I remember when I subbed in the home ec (I don't think it's called that anymore, the "foods" area), they'd do a lot of cooking and to me the worst part was that I had to taste everything after it was baked. But I did get to where raw dough didn't appeal to me. So maybe something like you have would work for me. Then again, I really don't care that much to find out....lol

Mary - a lady at ceramics was telling me that she ordered coyote urine from Amazon. Yes, you read right. So I decided to look for pickle juice. Do you know that they sell just the juice?

Just found out that when Jess was down here the other day while we were at ceramics (well, I was at mahjongg) and saw the kitten, as she left she kept telling the lady who runs the ceramics place "tell my mom and dad to make me a wolf". The lady just said to her "I don't think we have one". The reality is that Vince had asked her to put away the wolf that I was making for Jess and bring it back out once they were gone!

Joyce - I'm with you, I have a GPS on my phone, I'm lucky to know how to use the one in my car. I'd be completely lost on the one on my phone.

Karen - thanks for posting that recipe. I definitely have to try it for Vince. Update: he just finished the brookies, so I'll try that recipe this weekend.

Tracy - kick your heels up and join right in

janetr - how sad for your daughter's BIL. I'll be keeping him in my thoughts

barbie - do they charge for you to stay at this hotel? I'm thinking they must, they're losing revenue from not being able to charge a patient to use the room so they must make it up somewhere else. Do they charge, and is it competitive with the surrounding hotels?

Lenora - and what do the restaurants put way too much on your plate of? The cheap (unhealthy) things like french fries. So many times I've asked to sub the ff's for some veges, you should see the small portion I get! I usually ask for sandwiches (like a black bean burger) without the bun. I very seldom need to take something home. Sounds like you made good choices at that restaurant.

Becca - I'm assuming your aunt used the newspaper on her ceramic pieces before she fired them. I'll have to try that. The lady where we went in VA and got some bisque told us that for some reason red and blue sharpies don't burn off in the kiln. Something about the pigments that are used in the ink. So I'm going to try that, put my name on the bottom of a piece but I've also painted it on, just to see what happens. It sure would be easier for me if I could use a pen rather than paint.

Exercised then we cut down some weeds in the back of the property. Right now we're at this part that is nothing bur wild rose rushes and wild raspberry bushes. I HATE bushes with thorns, HATE them. Then went in the pool a bit, then had dinner.

Tomorrow we go to a baseball game with the Newcomers. I'll bring my own food (did that last year) even tho there is a sign "no outside food or beverages allowed". If I put it in my "going to the movies" pocketbook, it looks like a pocketbook so they never say anything

Michele in NC
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I wrote my post and managed to delete it unintentionally. :cry: So I'm trying again. :ohwell:

Alison: (((HUGS)))

Janet OKC: I'm so sorry for your daughter and family. Losing a Brother in Law to stroke at only 45 is horrible. :flowerforyou:

Becca: I'm glad you and DH came back to Oregon and that you are happy here. I agree with Barbie and join her in toasting you. You meet big challenges with courage and grace. :heart:

Heather: I so appreciate your posts to us from your travel adventures. I'm seeing places in the world though your eyes that I probably would never see otherwise. :bigsmile:

Barbie: I've been wondering if there is an easy route from the hospital to the Bremerton Ferry, preferably one that doesn't require freeway travel. It looks like there are ferries departing Seattle for Bremerton hourly until fairly late at night. Once you're in Bremerton, traffic is no longer such a nightmare. Friends of ours take the ferry from Port Townsend to Whidbey Island on their way back to Orcas Island. They are able to get reservations for that one. Have a safe trip and do what ever it takes to minimize stress. (((HUGS)))

Sue: We once had a tomcat who was neutered a bit late in life. He would ambush our daughter, who was in grade school at the time. We gave him away to an elderly couple who needed a barn cat. Win-win. You will be doing some cats a favor and they will hopefully keep your barn pest free. :flowerforyou:

I had my riding lesson today but I didn't ride at all. Instead I learned how to work with my teacher's horse at liberty in a round pen. I learned to direct the horse to move, & to signal changes in speed and direction while the horse was free inside the pen with me. I've seen the horse trainers on TV using this training technique and am very pleased to have been able to experience it myself. This was a wonderful and different experience for me and I hope to do it again in the future. I worked my lesson horse, and also the Mustang that she rescued, trained, and is currently showing. I was pleased and surprised that she let me work with him.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Good evening, Ladies...

I couldn't quite manage 4 sets of abdominal crunches, today... but, I did do 45 minutes on the elliptical, so I feel that I have done all right, today.

Playing Lurker, tonight... I am really tired, so I think I am going to just throw it in and go to bed.

You all are wonderful....

Talk to you, later.

Re in TX

• pipcd34
    Options
    $
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Janetr- yeah for you! I'm glad that you enjoyed the Kettlebell! Did you look at the videos and the 5 week workout? That's what I use when I transition to heavier weight. Also good for beginning to avoid bad form and injury.

Michele - I had no idea they sold just pickle juice! Thanks for the info! What is coyote urine used for?

Great concert!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Michele, when working with thorny plants, use your kitchen tongs to hold them, rather than your hand. Even with a leather glove you can get poked, but with the tongs, your hands never get near the thongs. Or use the barbecue tongs.

I am still not feeling very well, so lurking. Cold went in to bronchitis and can't get in to my doc until next week. I know from experience that going to a doc who doesn't know me will only lead to the "You have a virus and don't need antibiotics." lecture. They really stress that at the med school here. But I have really crappy lungs and if a cold goes in to bronchitis I don't get better without antibiotics. In the past I have ended up with pneumonia when the docs pulled that no antibiotics number. So it is worth waiting a few days rather than get frustrated and waste money. But, I am spending a lot of time resting in bed since activity brings on coughing fits and then I get light headed.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    We have two different hospital systems here in town. One has one hospital and the other one 2 hospitals. The one with 2 is the one Charlie and I worked at and that is the one we always use of course. Our hospital is all private rooms and even the ICUs have a big long couch and people are encouraged to use it for over night. I think they encourage it to gather patients for the neuro/ortho services because that couch is AWFUL! No one in thier right mind would sleep on it. The recliner also is not sleepable.

We have a weed outside that is wicked looking and has huge thorns on it.

So far today everything has held itself in place!!!! I went to the ostomy supply place while Charlie walked on the mall today. It is owned by the hospital we use so all of his insurance and surgery is on it's computers. So when the time comes when we are ready to decide what supplies to use all we have to do is let our doctor know, he will write the prescription and it will be in the computer that is also at the medical supply place. It will be pulled from the shelf and in a bag waiting for us! Also things like deoderizers, adhesive remover pads/etc are all covered by Medicare. This is also the same medical supply place I rent my mobility scooter when we travel. They are all very nice and helpful.

Joyce, Indiana
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Joyce- it sounds like Charlie is getting back to normal! That weed sounds horrible.

<3

Mary from Minnesota