WOMEN ages 50+ FOR JULY 2016

Options

Replies

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Allie, who is Tom trusting to take care of them? He trusts you with his father. All I can say is MEN.

Can I scream now??????? Charlie has an abscess where the gall bladder and they are going to drain it tomorrow. They were going to drain that gall bladder before they took it out and now there is an abscess and now it has to be drained. And to think if he had been admitted last night, had the cT scan last night, that thing could have been drained today. Plus, doctor's office called me this morning and told us the scan was at 2:15. I know labs can get put on 'View my chart' pretty quick so this afternoon I was looking to see if they were on there and I see these instructions that he ahs to drink this big thing of contrast 40 minutes before his scan and it it 1:15. We had better get going! But when I get there they say he is scheduled for 3:45. The office said 2:15 so that he could get the chest x-ray done and get the contrast down. So because e are there early they get him in early. If eh could get in early, why weren't e given an earlier time. We were told that 2:15 was the earliest time. So I am screaming. Oh, and I called the surgeons office and the nurse did say we should have called them. So I had to convince our family doctor to let our surgeons office know the report. I think the surgeon should be the one who drains this thing and not our family doc. I just know that abscesses can lead into sepsis which can lead to multi organ failure which can lead to death. This man hasn't felt well since his ulcerative colitis started. I am still screaming. He did eat a really good supper tonight. It was also the only thing he has eaten all day.

Joyce, Indiana

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Joyce Either your surgeon or an interventional radiologist should drain the abscess. I cannot tell you how upset I am for you and for Charlie.

Karen in Virginia
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Evening ladies.

I've been working outside as much as possible between rainstorms to get a new flower bed put in. So far I have a mud hole. lol If I'm not digging in the mud I'm cleaning out the garage. We are taking down old wooden shelves and putting in insulation and a new system for storage but I have to clean off the shelves before that can happen. All this with my shoulder hurting.

ah yes, the shoulder. The shot wore off after about a week and it's back to throbbing all the time. I will be doing surgery but due to all ready set vacation and some other things I won't be able to have it done until mid-September. A 7 week wait. The Dr. says that is doable I just have to take it easy on my arm. Easy to say, hard to do when you are used to working.

The worst part of it is I am unable to play the cello. If you remember I had decided to learn to play. I had gotten down the basics of bowing (couldn't use the full bow but I understand that it normal when you begin), could change strings easily and smoothly, had learned first position and a scale. I was starting to work on simple songs and had contacted a teacher. BUT I can't hold my arm out in the proper position for more than two or three minutes before it is in extreme pain. The Dr. said no more as that position is a real no-no for the tendon that is affected (torn). He said it will be at least three months after the surgery and possibly more before I'll be able to do it and so that makes five months off. So I decided to return the cello (I was renting to own) as there is no penalty for returning (no contract). I can always go get a new one when I'm physically able but it doesn't make sense to let it sit there for five or six months gathering dust and making me sad. Even playing the piano has become tiresome but at least I can tuck my elbow in for the piano, it isn't pretty but it works for the most part. I just wasn't willing to adapt with the cello as I felt it was important to learn right the first time to prevent bad habits. The teacher I contacted seemed to think my decision was the best too. *sigh*

Just makes me want to eat something as a result. Guess I better go back outside and garden some more. I have learned to use my non-affected arm most of the time so at least I can do that! Now if only I could get out of vacuuming and dishes....

Marcelyn in Houston
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,986 Member
    Options
    :)Rini, my husband buys ice cream but he keeps it in a place in the freezer I don't see easily...he also buys cheese and that haunts me.

:)Penny, the photos and the vacation look awesome.

<3 Joyce, sending hugs to you :)

:)janetr, you look great and so does the scenery

t2418.gifAlison, you are not Tom's child needing his permission to go somewhere or his agreement that you can satisfactorily take care of the dogs....I'm sorry your weekend won't go the way you want it to.

:) We got our plumbing problem solved today with the help of two plumbers and $212.00....it was an outdoor faucet that has been leaking for awhile and with water restrictions in our neighborhood we felt terrible to be wasting water.

petting-poodle-smiley-emoticon.gif Stats for today:
    18,000 steps
    190 minutes of dog walking
    line dance class

81824br5uyrfrsr.gifBarbie from beautiful sunny NW Washington t113030.gif

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,726 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 8.39in, 17.8amph, 151mhr, 2.5mi = 117c
    SPIN- 42min, 94r, 27w, 4g, 100mhr, 6.1mi = 192c
    ride gym 2 wk- 53.29min, 12.6amph, 150mhr, 11.2mi = 456c
    ride wk 2 hm- 53.04min, 11.5amph, 151mhr, 10.1mi = 461c
    total cal 1226
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    <3
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Joyce, when I saw your post I was so hoping that it would be good news. I just want things to start improving for both of your sakes.

Penny, what a bummer that you got a cold. fever-and-sick.gif I sure hope it doesn’t drag out and you are over it in no time. I love hearing about the camping adventure and the beautiful pictures.

Allie, I’m so glad you went out and had a good time!! smiley-party-emoticon.gif I’m also glad you decided to go to the cottage. You need a little “you time”!!!

Chris, how wonderful that you got your water back in time.showering.gif

Katla, so glad you are having a wonderful time. I’m glad the mobility scooter is working out for your DH. Feel free to share any pictures of your adventures. fake-smile-smiley-emoticon.gif

Pip, you do keep saying you are going to give your legs a break, but what will it take to actually make it happen??? Maybe Kirby needs to take your bike away for a while? Oh but then how would you get to the train?

Miriam, so sorry for the torture you are going through to get the new CPAP. Sending restful thoughts your way.

Joyce, I can’t say that I necessarily agree with you that Charlie’s CT Scan is “the important one”. I know it’s important but so is your health!!! I’m worried about you. Please take care.

Traci, good for you on pre-logging and sticking to the plan.

Renee, yes you can say something about prayers. Those here that don’t pray are okay with those of us that do. We aren’t trying to change anyone.

KJ, I’ve just recently started using wine to cook. I don’t drink it as it gives me an instant headache….red or white. But cooked in any sauce it’s good.

Janetr, absolutely beautiful location for the motor home!!! Wow wee.

Allie, you know you will take care of the dogs so I don’t know why Tom has to spoil things for you. GRRRRRRRR
    pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I had a great work out at the gym today. I upped some weights along with the number of reps. Also used the hydro-massage bed and the massage chairs. That was my first time on the chairs and I thought they would be like the one’s at the pedicure salon, but they were much stronger. That can be adjusted. The nice thing is it has massage for legs so hope that might help with leg cramps. They have been bad again lately. I’m tired so turning in early. You ladies are often on my mind. Sending love and good thoughts to all of you and I hope you all have a Happy and Healthy Day! rainbow-smiley-emoticon.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, blow.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC

• IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Hello Luscious Lasses;

I am just stopping in to let y'all know I haven't died, or inhaled two gallons of ice cream, or anything. Super busy and I may never get caught up on the days I missed - but I have read back a few pages.

Still puffed up - but that's no surprise - if my pattern holds, I will be puffy for another week and then maybe drop two or three pounds all at once - over and above the water weight... so, I will be patient and stay the course.

Going to the gym is just part of my day now, so that is fantastic, and keeping the calories under control is no problem when you are going slow... so, I know my patience will pay off.

I had a somewhat enlightening experience a few days back... I looked at some old photos. *shudders* Now... I had always convinced myself that I didn't have a fat face, even when I was at my fattest... Funny how we can lie to ourselves. My face was definitely fat... not to mention the rest of me.

It was a little sobering, and a great inspiration to stay the course. I will see about posting some face shots from home, so you guys can see what I did when I looked at the pictures. I am trying to learn to see what is actually there, rather than the picture in my head... it's a tough thing to do.

I can't really reply to all of you - but, I am thinking of you... sending hugs for Joyce and Allie - and all the rest of you, smiles for Heather and Pip, greetings to the new folks...

Perhaps I can get to those ten pages I missed sometime soon.

Hugs!!

Re in TX
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Joyce how frustrating that you have to wait for the next procedure. Ugh I feel for you and hugs to you.

Marcelyn so sorry you have to take a sebatical from the cello playing. From your description of your progress you are on the right track and will get back there again when it is safe for you. I would add a lot of listening activities of great cello players to continue to develop your personal sound, is there any special cello player you admire?? Keep listening and keep healing.
    We've got this ladies, so many great stories of progress and strength, we can do this!! NYKAREN
  • carriels7
    carriels7 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    New person here - have been tracking for several months (this time) and have gone down only 11 pounds in 2.5 months. I was disappointed, but have been staying around 1200 calories, plus lots of water, plus going to strength training 3 times a week and trying to walk minimum of 6000 steps a day.

Thinking this needs to be kicked up a notch.

Gym owner advised me to do a high protein/vegetable diet, eating every 2 hours. Didn't work for me - tracking calories with healthy foods seems better for me, but not faster.

I know that diets are highly individualized, but does anyone have any ideas about what works well for older (69) women?? Am getting frustrated, but am glad that am on this journey - loving the gym.

Carrie in SC (where its HOT)
  • carriels7
    carriels7 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    DJ - I live in Little River - see you are in Myrtle Beach
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,986 Member
    Options
    carriels7 wrote: »
    New person here - have been tracking for several months (this time) and have gone down only 11 pounds in 2.5 months. I was disappointed, but have been staying around 1200 calories, plus lots of water, plus going to strength training 3 times a week and trying to walk minimum of 6000 steps a day.

Thinking this needs to be kicked up a notch.

Gym owner advised me to do a high protein/vegetable diet, eating every 2 hours. Didn't work for me - tracking calories with healthy foods seems better for me, but not faster.

I know that diets are highly individualized, but does anyone have any ideas about what works well for older (69) women?? Am getting frustrated, but am glad that am on this journey - loving the gym.

Carrie in SC (where its HOT)

:) Keep doing what you're doing...high protein plus vegetable sounds like a good food plan along with logging every weighed and measured bite....I eat more on days when I am more active and less when I am sedentary....you should certainly eat more than 1200 calories on a day when you are doing strength training?

t31221.gif What sort of strength training are you doing?

:) Barbie from beautiful hot and sunny NW Washington

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,726 Member
    Options
    damnit- i know i know
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    NYKAREN
    klanders30 wrote: »
    I would add a lot of listening activities of great cello players to continue to develop your personal sound, is there any special cello player you admire?? Keep listening and keep healing.

I'm already looking forward to February. As part of our symphony subscription we added on tickets to Yo Yo Ma's performance. Between the symphony and an Arts program we subscribe to we have about 15 classical concerts next year with an emphasis on quartets and string ensembles. It's going to be a great year.

Marcelyn in Houston

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    Did 50 minutes of Traci Long's Leaning Out DVD. I'm not real crazy about her cueing. The plan for tomorrow is to do Prevention's Personal Training DVD.

For anyone who has Windows 10: one morning I woke up and my computer had downloaded Windows 10. Actually, we were about to do it on our laptops, but the was done. Not a big deal.

However, when you log in there are these thumbnails. One of them I want, but one of them I no longer want. But I can't figure out how to get rid of that one. I've tried googling "how to get rid of thumbnails" but couldn't get a workable answer. Does anyone here know how to get rid of one?

DJ - what is a hydro massage table?

Kim - I can't imagine no air conditioning. Well, I never had it growing up, but now that I'm used to it, I don't know how I did without it

Karen in VA - I don't like the new crockpots, either. Only the control one on my old one got finicky so now we have it down at the condo where it'll be used very little if at all.

Mary from MN - thanks so much for the video. Boy, is he low in his squat!!!! When I was trying to get low, I didn't use any weight at all but was using my elbows to push against my legs. Well, I'll try again next Monday.

Joyce, Joyce, Joyce - between you and Charlie...God sure has give you quite a bit. Was that bp for you or Charlie?

Six more days!!!!

Penny - what beautiful pics! Thanks for sharing. The kids are absolutely gorgeous

Alison - good for you! Taking time for YOU

Miriam - so sorry for all you're going thru with the CPAP

KJ - you've probably heard "never cook with a wine that you wouldn't drink"

Lenora - one thing that I never could understand about WW is that there are "free" foods. All food has calories, "there's no such thing as a free lunch". but in the end, I do think that of all the diet plans out there, WW is the most logical

Carrie in SC - welcome! Where in SC are you located?

Went to ceramics tonight then Lowe's Foods, now home to get ready for tomorrow and check in here.

Hugs to everyone

Michele in NC
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I can be my best cheering ally, or my worst critic.... I need to get serious, stop all this maybe, and kind of trying. I KNOW what I need to do.
    I NEED TO:
    ~Log every day and not prelog then don't eat what I have put down.....I am only hurting myself.

~I need to exercise and sweat!

~I need to stop trying to lose weight for my husband and family and do it for me.

~I need to carve out a portion of my day to move, meditate, and make mental changes. I deserve it.

I have been settling for this body of mine, and I can do oh so much better. I watched two episodes of "Extreme Makeover" and I cried during the ending of both of them. Why? Well, I felt their pain, (even though I know its kind of staged and scripted). When they lose large amounts of weight, and I see the physical transformation, I want to feel their joy. I want to transform, so bad. After watching those shows, I get mad at myself, because I think of moving furniture, painting an area of the apartment! (Of course I can't paint a rental apartment). But I need to make a plan of action already. To say what I mean and MEAN what I say.... Not just words, but an activity I need to put in action!

Most of "Extreme Makeover" addresses road blocks that the chosen person needs to conquer. Mental things that stop them from completing weight loss in the past. For me it is just forgiving myself for cheating on my husband when he was sick and pre liver transplant. I was addicted to Facebook, was lonely, and certain "male friends" said to me what I wanted to hear. I think if I hadn't been on Facebook or going to the nudist resort, I probably wouldn't have cheated. If they had really been a "friend" to me, they wouldn't have abused our friendship and I was taken for granted. When your life has no boundaries, or lines to draw in the sand, its easy to cross them... So I have a lot of guilt. And that has hindered my journey I think. Always thinking I am not worthy, (of his love and attention).

So long story short, we fixed out marriage. He realized that he didn't pay attention, or give me respect. We let our marriage just happen, and in truth, marriage never just happens, unless you happen to want to watch it whither away and die. In our moment of fixing it, I found out an important fact. He cried and said he didn't not want me in his life. He fought for me, and wanted to make it work, more than watch it not work out. A turning point for sure. So channeling that energy, I need to realize I am worthy.

He will never stop "checking up on me", checking the history on the computer, or checking phone history. That's ok, I have nothing to hide....now. I can breathe a breath of fresh air, not worrying about "falling off that mental fence I balanced myself". It was years of living a life dishonest. I have scars, and I have to forgive myself. I am not that same woman.

Ok I have vented. I know, more information that you all needed, but I needed to say them. I shall have a good cry now... but good tears.
    Becca
    Oregon
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    <3
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Marcelyn, now what is your piano teacher going to say about your arm going to your side????? ;):p I that is the only way you can make music, do it. I am so sorry you can't play your cello. It is a beautiful instrument and make beautiful music.

Michele, that was my B/P. Charlie's was wonderful. I tend to have a higher B/P there in the office. My arms are fat enough that the cuff really hurts and pain causes B/P to go up. My cuff is on the wrist and he knows I check it and it's better here at home. Who knows how high it is now though.

Karen Virginia, thank you for the verification on the abscess draining. I will have to put my big girl panties on tomorrow and make sure the right person is doing this. I know an abscess can lead to sepsis.

We are going to bed early tonight. I imagine I will have to put a new bag on tomorrow even though I changed it last night.

Joyce, Indiana
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    <3