WOMEN ages 50+ FOR JULY 2016

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    Clairblue2 wrote: »
    Yikes, long time, no visit! My weight loss journey has slowed down, but still making progress--down 20 lbs. This morning I will meet with a personal trainer at the gym as there are many fitness machines there that I have no idea how to use. Would like to have options for varying my routine. I don't plan to "hire" the trainer on a regular basis, but would like to be more familiar with the machines and how to use them. Oddly, when I joined the gym in April, no one took me around to show me how the different machines worked. They really want you to use their personal trainers (and pay for them -- ouch!).

when you join a gym, they should b showing you around the machines w/out paying
  • pipcd34
    Options
    morning peeps-

exermom - i take a bunch of bananas to work, i peel them, cut them in 1/2 and freeze them, so when i do my protein shake, i only get a 1/2 out at a time.

lilhannon - i LOVE the lil deer's
  • pipcd34
    Options
    did an experiment at the gym today. all last month and this month I have been doing a high rpm on the spin bike and a low gear and for 40 min I had been average, anywhere btwn 95-over 100 rpm, low watts and about 8mi. I did this thinking the high rpm would take me further. HOWEVER, the spin bike is smart. it's works like a bike. when you're on a bike and you have a low gear you may do a high rpm but you're going to be free wheeling it, pedaling fast, not going anywhere.

today, I did a higher gear, which gave me a higher watt number so I ended up riding further. so I had been doing it wrong these last 2 months which means I would be further in distance than my current 1,141.1 mi, WHAAAA... oh well. you live you learn. I got 4 more days to do.

at least with the lower gear, it wasn't so hard on my knees
  • pipcd34
    Options
    correction - 1152.1mi
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,215 Member
    Options
    Lisa - What wonderful mementos. <3

I actually got myself to my old steam laptop today and wrote the sentence that's been sitting in my head since last time I got there. Then I wrote a couple more paragraphs. It's not much, but I have mostly completed the "fill in" stuff that I hadn't got down in scribble, so now I can power ahead with the typing and editing. Hope to build up some speed now on this memoir.

My cancer friend's book about being a mixed race adopted child is really, really good, so I am going to write her a review on Amazon.

I am now 4% fluent in German. :laugh:

Tonight's dinner is squid stew with broccoli. Rice for DH. Then it's stewed apricots with homemade yoghurt. Alcohol free day today as we will be having fizzy wine with the fish and chips I am going to fetch for our dinner tomorrow night. We are babysitting for DS so they can have a much needed evening out together. I will only eat half the batter and a few chips (fries) . Can't wait to see the grandkids and the new place again, though the weather will be mixed.

Lots of love, Heather
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,706 Member
    Options
    afternoon ladies~
    I have been running since before 7 this morning.. over for blood work,and then came home and got my cup of tea... then went to feed DFIL fed him the oatmeal, he had to feed himself eggs..
    then went for my physical.. Had this really cute indian girl.. Dr Desai very nice, and she said Dr's orders that I need to slow down,to much stress ,to much bad food and to much doing... I stress eat so when I got on the scale today( drum roll please) I am back up to 190 lbs.. I know I know and she knows what I need to do.. but this past year has been a doozy.. got a call from my brother had to stop out at a pharmacy in next town over and pick up scripts for him, and he wanted the saws all from the house so I had to pick that up too.. came home and will take the boys down to the vet in a bit for there shots, and then home.. oh I better throw laundry in before I take them....
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Well we are n the hospital. I called the doctors office this morning first thing since they hadn't called me yet and told them what his temp was last night lthough it was normal this morning. So he is admitted and has a surgical consult. He is not a happy man although I didn't have to talk much for him to get ready and come. I just hope we don't have to wait much for anything to happen.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,117 Member
    Options
    Joyce- (((hugs)))

Heather - i'm drooling!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Exercise plan for the day:

Jazzercise 1 hour

Kettlebells:
    Russian swings 7x10x15
    DL 2x5x25
    Goblet squats 1x5x0 4x5x10
    Get up 1x5x0 each side (practicing form)

Karen in Virginia
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,706 Member
    Options
    Joyce~ Oh my the last 6months for you both have been a nightmare.. I am going to send healing angels with prayer to give you both comfort.....
    Lisa~ couldn't (Bee) any more adorable....
    taking 2 dogs on retractable leashes by yourself is not for the faint of heart... and or course Homer decided to poop right in front of the Dr.. at least it was outside, and I had a bag with me..
    both got lyme shots, chester had 2 more, Chester has a cataract in left eye, Homer has glaucoma in left eye, so we have some ointment to put in his eye for 10 days to see if that helps with anything 277.00 later.. Tom will not even bat an eye at that.. but the blood work I got done today when that bill comes in and when my bill comes in from the kidney dr, thats when he will have kittens..
    God Bless the Dr I saw today ,told her about our insurance issues and she got the code for me to call the insurance company to see if it would be a covered expense they wanted my cholesterol reading and that wasn't on the paper work from nephrology . so that was an add on for my Dr, but insurance said it will be covered at 100% at least for that one..
    I have the crate in the car all set and ready to go... tomorrow after work, will probably take my dad up too..
  • Clairblue2
    Clairblue2 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    pipcd34, you're right. May have been my fault, though. I've been a member of the same gym in the past, so didn't really feel the need for a full tour. Initially, I thought I would mostly use free weights & the treadmill, but now that I've been working out for awhile & am in better shape, I WOULD like to expand my workouts & try using the machines. Its my understanding that the machines can help isolate muscles while supporting the body to prevent injury. I tend to overdo it on the free weights & injure myself. I'm constantly nursing soreness in my calf & bicep.
    Injuries don't heal as quickly as they used to, so when I hurt myself the soreness lasts longer than it used to. I've begun to respect & listen to my body as I age. Tonight, when the bell tolls midnight, I will turn 60. I feel kind of like Cinderella--I'll be wearing rags & hanging out with mice & a pumpkin. Birthdays don't usually bother me, but this one is.

Anyway, there was no charge for today's appointment and I have one more free workout with the trainer, which I've scheduled for next Wednesday morning. I figure that will give me a few days to try out some of the machines and get a feel for which he can help me incorporate into a more strenuous workout.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Marcelynh – I have had ‘rotator cuff surgery’ on the same shoulder twice; one because I made the mistake of ‘jumble-engineering’ a ladder from a step stool, chair, and desk to reach up high; then on my way down, misjudged the step stool; and landed hard on my side and slid into the back door. First Orthopedist … well I just did not like his manner. Was a client of husband’s and he got me in to see him. The first trip he wanted to schedule surgery for the following Monday and I sort of ‘balked’ at the idea … had not discussed it with Louis. So I went through PT; wasn’t getting any better and when I went to schedule the surgery, he had put that I had ‘bursitis’ and would not do it. So I went to my GP; when my shoulder was ‘freezing up’ and I could not paint, my passion; and, he sent me to another one in town, who specializes in shoulder surgery. When he did the surgery I had a chip of bone in there. He said it would have never gotten well on its own or with just PT. He came in my room the next day and I told him ‘it did not hurt any more’. He was surprised. The next time (about 9 months later) I had a seizure and hit my head and shoulder on the top rail, stiles, and bottom rail. Messed it again, so back to the operating room; but, this time ‘in his office’. The first time he did not want me to do it ‘outpatient’ because I had been having problems with my BP spiking and dropping, so he wanted me at the hospital for that one.

Michele – I think one of the reasons I did not lose weight on WW was my points were too high (calorie wise) and I was not exercising like I should. I just did not want to; but, now I look forward to it; and, the pounds keep coming off … slowly; but, they are still coming off.

Lisa – Loved the children’s’ art work! Such imagination!

Lenora
  • pipcd34
    Options
    clairblue - you should still be able to get help on how to use the various machines even tho you've been a member for awhile.
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    (((((Joyce))))), my goodness y'all have been through it.

Well, yes. I did pop a stitch, but the nurse said it is healing nicely. Not to worry about it. Just keep a Nexcare waterproof bandage on and check it every few days. I think I'll wait until Monday to go back to weight lifting. But I will walk and cut the grass.

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,117 Member
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    (((((Joyce))))), my goodness y'all have been through it.

Well, yes. I did pop a stitch, but the nurse said it is healing nicely. Not to worry about it. Just keep a Nexcare waterproof bandage on and check it every few days. I think I'll wait until Monday to go back to weight lifting. But I will walk and cut the grass.

I'm glad that it's healing nicely. Take it easy! I know it's hard to not exercise like you're use to but, it's better to let it heal. (((hugs)))

<3

Mary from Minnesota

• DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Re, I totally get what you are saying about thinking your face wasn’t fat. For years I didn’t think I was fat, just “pleasingly plump”. And I’m here to tell ya, there ain’t nothin’ pleasing about being that plump!!!! belly-dance.gif I guess we just see ourselves every day as we slowly but surely pack on the pounds. *sigh* I still think it’s not fair that some people can eat tons of food and still stay slim without even trying. Good for you on taking it slow and steady. That is the way to go.

Carrie, welcome!!! I was just getting ready to ask where in SC when I read your next post. You will find this a great place for support and information. I couldn’t have done this without these wonderful ladies. I do believe that eating a more normal diet (whatever that is?) is the best route to take. I know it’s disappointing to not lose faster but hang in there. Not only are you just up the road from me but we are the same age, only I’m not an “older woman”. Lol Come here often and let us know what’s going on with you.

MicheleNC, a hydro-massage table is this wonderful bed that has warm water in it. It shoots the water toward your body in a stream that moves up and down during the session, so it’s like a massage. You can set the intensity of the spray and the speed of the movement up and down your body. I had used one at the Chiropractor’s office. I would go to the club just to use it. Can you tell I like it??? LOL If you want to see what they look like, here is a link to a website: http://www.hydromassage.com/General-350Series-bed.htm Doing squats that low would be a real problem for me. I’d be afraid if I got down there, I’d never get up.

Kelly, Congrats on the “blueberry”!!!! I can’t wait to hear what it grows into. A grape, a walnut, an egg, a orange? Fun times ahead. Sending good thoughts for a healthy, easy pregnancy. flying-stork-carrying-a-baby-smiley-emoticon.gif

Allie, I don’t understand why your insurance won’t pay for that bloodwork but obviously it’s something you need. I hope you ignore his barking. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

KarenVA, I laughed when I read that you know how we should all live our lives, but the truth is, I think you gave some very wise suggestions in your post. I’m glad you have joined us.

Heather, I like your term, “The know it all club”. How do you think your parcel got behind the garbage bins? At least glad no one stole it.

Lisa, what precious gifts!

Kay, I hope your DH had a happy birthday. I’m glad you are going to the doctor. Congrats on staying in Onederland. So ya think next time you might follow the doctors’ orders, eh? LOL

Clair, I can’t believe these gyms today won’t show you how to use all the equipment with the price we pay each month. I’d love to be able to afford a personal trainer all the time but that is not something in my budget. I hope you get what you need.

Pip, I think you got in enough miles no matter what gear you have been spinning in!!!! Girl, when are ya gonna give it a rest?????? bike-riding-smiley-emoticon.gif

Heather, so glad you got to write a few lines in the book. I know it has not been your top priority lately but sure it’s always on the back of your mind. Every little bit helps get to the end. Have fun with the grands.

Allie, OMG,, I get dizzy and exhausted just reading about all that you do. Good grief, woman, slow down and let some of these people do for themselves!!!! Sending you the best, calmest, happiest thoughts that I can muster.

Kay, it’s a good idea to give it a few days before returning to weight lifting. Please take care.
    pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Has anyone been in touch with Sylvia? I sure hope she is doing well. And CarolNC hasn’t been missing as long but I wish she could check in more often. For those of you that are newer, these two ladies were regular posters here for a long time and got very busy. We took Pepper (Poodle) to the groomer today. DH has gone to get him now. I always love the look and smell when he gets home from there. Lots of cuddling tonight. For lunch today I made a stir fry with red and yellow bell peppers, onions, green beans, celery and chicken with a touch of soy sauce. Served it over some left over rice from DH and it was delish! I saw someone on TV have Chinese take-out this morning and it got me to craving it.
    Sending love and good thoughts to all of you and I hope you all have a Happy and Healthy Day! rainbow-smiley-emoticon.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, blow.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • pipcd34
    Options
    lololol damnit - well the end of the month is the end of the challenge. I still will be riding all the time, that won't stop but I will be taking the train going home more next month (that's the harder ride that is uphill at the end of the day)
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Clair Happy Birthday!! 60 isn't so bad. I turned 62 recently and I'm fabulous.

DJ We are having stir fry for dinner tonight! It's almost ready to put it together. Yum!

Karen in Virginia
  • ilikegardens
    ilikegardens Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Re, I definitely miss your voice when you're not around. Sorry you have to work so hard! I'm in the same place right now... and feeling stressed that it's not getting done quickly enough. I agreed to do a huge favor for someone who now won't respond to my questions. Grrrr.

Carrie, I've been losing slowly, too. But I usually like it because I don't develop the urge to eat everything going in the house. For me, losing fast and then abandoning my healthy eating because I'm hungry and resentful is the worst.

Joyce, hugs and good wishes.

Mary, finally have permission from my physiotherapist to do kettle bell swings. Still can't use them for squats, which I need to practice with a band. I had to show her how I do the swings before she'd okay them. But this is a huge step!!

Barbie, very impressed with your steps! Maybe I can take a long walk this weekend.

Lisa, those pictures are so cute!

I need to make dinner--black bean burritos with lime and cilantro. I'll have black bean chile for lunch tomorrow!

KarenE