WOMEN ages 50+ FOR JULY 2016

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,673 Member
    morning ladies~
    geesh what a day it has been already...
    right now im having a iced chai latte... unsweetened vanilla almond milk and oregon chai sugar free chai tea mix.. today is gonna be a long day, was up at 4:45 and went grocery shopping had enough time to put frozen stuff away and then go feed DFIL , will speak with someone tomorrow as I am not liking that he is the only man in the dining room and all of the women do not speak .... all of them way far gone... gonna see if maybe he can go upstairs and hang out with people he can actually talk to..
    they haven't given him milk once unless I ask them to, so I am bringing a covered insulated glass with his name on it and milk right underneath so they know to give him that...
    Today is the wedding and I will be busy the rest of the day, my DD wanted to know if I could bring them down, but I have a 4 seat car and have to take the 2 Faith and Dad down later, Tal has to be there to have her hair done early.. so Tracy will have to go down earlier..Dan I guess is not going... I am really really getting worried about him depression wise.. he needs medical help and will not do it on his own.. dont know where to turn.. I am stuck... really wish that he would come to wedding...
    Tom being his usual ornery self.. cranking at me because I got him a new pillow, and i didn't throw the trash away correctly.. geesh ya know I want to enjoy the day. told him if he isn't in the mood to go to the wedding.. dont go.. no skin off my back...
    Joyce~ will be praying for a good outcome for Charlie.. here I am cranking about stupid stuff when there is so much more important things going on...
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Kim ~ I agree with Katla that your mom has a mean streak!

Cherie ~ Beautiful afghan!

Quiet Sunday here. DH has learned that you can buy a kit to repair a door jamb. Our renter evidently kicked in the steel door to the outside of the garage at one point. Ugh! We were told that it would cost $600 to repair it and a closet door. DH is hoping to do it himself.

Carol
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Pip, it just occurred to me that you might be interested in a bike "race" here in Iowa. It occurs annually, usually the last week of July. Folks come from all over the country to participate. My brother did it with some of his scouts one year, and they live in Texas. It is called Ragbrai. It starts on the west side of the state, many dipping their wheels in to the Missouri River. It ends at the east side of the state, with dipping of wheels in to the Mississippi River. The route varies every year. This year it goes just south of me. Anyway, here is the link so you can learn more about it.
    http://ragbrai.com/
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Kim from N. California – My DH says that when we go anywhere, I pack like we are staying for a month … or forever! Especially, when we go to see DYS and family in Louisiana.

Why do family members think they can say anything, especially hurtful, to another family member and get a ‘pass’ on it? Take your ‘big girl panties’ off and strangle her with them. I have a friend whose sister has been estranged for 20 years; but, contacted her when she had a family crisis. She went to help; got blind-sighted, so the estrangement goes on. Then her sister wonders why nobody wants to have anything to do with her. It’s always ‘it always being about her’?

I don’t blame you for hanging up quickly … you were probably nicer longer than a lot of people would be.

Becca – I think our first purchase of the $9000 2-story house has made it so we have been able to step up; now live in a ‘down-sized’ home that is more like a hunting cabin on 90 acres of land. I LOVE it here.

Never thought I would like living out in the country. Sometimes wonder why DH did not push it more when we were younger. DOS and his family cut out their land out of one of the tracts of land (will eventually be his someday when we are both gone).

I know it is difficult to deal with a sister (or other family member) who thinks that ‘alcohol’ makes them invincible.

Michele in NC – I don’t know what type of grass you are trying to grow. We’ve always had Centipede (except in FL, when we had Bermuda – wide blade that will grow under shade trees); but, we have always bought pieces of sod; and, cut it into pieces and planted them about 6” apart; then, get some white sand and spread it all throughout it. Centipede puts out ‘runners’ and in a year or year-and-a-half of growing time, you have grass that looks like it’s been there for a long time.

I usually have a really hard time with buying shoes; have a very high instep and my heels are a lot narrower than the front of my foot. Up until recently, finding a pair of flats was impossible; but I got a pair of what they call ‘ballerina’ flats (elastic all around the top) and they are so comfortable, too! High enough to cover the high instep I have. If I get a solid toe shoe; usually I have to find a pair that has a strap across the top or a strap around my ankle to keep them on. I have one pair of heels that are ‘red’ that I wear with a black dress; then I have a couple of pair of wedges that have the ankle strap (they are far more comfortable than the ‘red’ shoes). I’ve tried everything to keep them from slipping. Those heel thingies don’t work; I have to actually glue them into the shoes, to keep them from sticking to my heels while the shoes slip off my heel.

Great NSV – I’d certainly wear it, especially if your mom ‘hates’ it. Remind her that ‘you can get back in it’. Oh, maybe not; she’s the 80-something woman who would ‘blow away in a strong wind’. Just wear it and have fun knowing that it is a great NSV!

Karen in Virginia and Miriam – I grew up in a small town; and having “The Help” was not the least bit uncommon for middle income professionals. I loved ours; but, I also saw some that were treated very badly. I know one friend’s mother would NOT allow us to call her “Miss Betty” because “Betty” was the name of their ‘Help’. If we called her DH “Mr. So-and-So” she’d quickly tell us … “NO, it’s ‘Dr’ So-and-So”. Behind her back we would refer to her as “Miss DR Betty”. When watching the movie “The Help” … it reminded me so much of some of the families and their ‘Help’, in so many ways. I once commented to a sister that it would be interesting to read a book or see a movie through the eyes of the children raised by ‘The Help’; and, she told me it had been - it was “Gone With the Wind”. Yeah, I guess she is right about that. Never thought of that in that way. I saw the movie as a young child; I’ve watched parts of the movie as an adult. It is a 2-day or 3-day long movie. I’d like to read the book because normally the movie from a book doesn’t have a lot that the book has in it. But, more than a 1000 pages? Probably NOT going to happen. Same here about more attention from “The Help” than Mother; but, she was also ‘hired’ for her abilities to do ‘childcare’. She had to have a ‘good command of proper English’ to be hired by my Mother. Her great-aunt worked for us before she ‘retired’ and then introduced her to my family. She raised 5 boys, her husband had been killed in a wreck, the year her youngest son was born. All 5 of them graduated from college.

Beth – LOL! Quite often when I have written a longer than usual post and it disappears; I figure that maybe there was something in it that I just should not have posted; so I put an ‘emoticon’ in its place. Lately that has been a lot of the time.

Re – Which is worse? Spinster or Old Maid? How about a ‘single’ woman – period the end. I don’t think there is a place on any forms that designate “Spinster” or “Old Maid” (unless you check ‘other’).

Joyce – Praying y’all don’t have to wait a long time in the ER. Now I know why my DH has to be ‘really, really’ hurting to agree to go to ER. We went the ‘other’ direction to get to ER; and, from here on out; we’ll go that way instead of ‘downtown’ to the ‘city hospital that is the “clinic” to the Hood’.

Rori – How do you take a ‘cat’ on a walk?

Barbie – The world is full of people that look at a glass and say whether it is ‘half-full’ or ‘half-empty’; some days it can be ‘either’ … all depending on whether the day is ‘good’ or ‘bad’. Most of the time, I’d rather be ‘half full’ than ‘half empty’ … but I think it is always better to be able to ‘fill my cup’ over [or better to have it filled to 'running over'… than to have it ‘drain out from under me’.

Lillian – I think most people, as they get older, say things because they have maybe ‘kept their thoughts’ in ‘check’ due to jobs or raising children and wanting to teach them how to live by “The Golden Rule”; then, they forget their own manners and think that because they no longer work or are raising children … all etiquette goes out the window. Not so; you and the way you treat others (strangers or friends and family) is ‘noticed’ and makes people think you were ‘basically’ raised in a barn when you treat others with disrespect. Maybe one doesn't deserve to be 'respected'; but, still they should be treated in a kind way. There are a lot of days that I ‘bite my tongue’. Some days it is like chewing up nails and spitting them out. Some days I am NOT aware that something I have said or done has offended someone. When that is the case; I’d rather them have ‘whatever it takes’ to tell me that what I had done or said has offended them and how. Then, I get the chance to apologize (or not). Much better to be ‘honest’ (and, yes, it can be done in a manner that it is not like trying to ‘pick a fight’); than to just allow a ‘great’ relationship die for lack of being able to voice your opinion. I know that you can’t please 100% of the people, 100% of the time. Think about how boring that would be. A good, polite banter with someone keeps a friendship, relationship, and more … on ‘its toes’.

Of course, I think most people would rather have a ‘dressing down’ done in private; and, have an ‘apology’ done in public.

Kim and Lillian – Count me in on the ‘burying or taking care of the body’. We can just take them up to Stone Mountain and have them look over the side; … “Whoops, she/he was standing here one minute; the next they weren’t!” We'd have to take them over the fence and to the back side, we could get them there by going to the right instead of the left by saying we want to climb the rest of it, in the shade. I don't think they have the fence up in that area. Or stay longer than the 'time to get off the mountain' and let them 'lose their footing'. I know, "I'm sooooooooooooooo bad!" But, I have had people that I have wanted "Karma" to come visit in my life. Thankfully, not too many. Then, usually, when Karma comes a 'calling ... I no longer care about it (or them).

Lenora
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

MicheleNC, I keep trying to picture where all these weeds are in your yard? Have you tried weed killer on them? I know I’m very lazy but I don’t call pulling weeds for 3 hours, doing a little at a time.

Kim, so glad you remembered the designer outfit. Can you not wear it to both functions or will the same people be at both?

Rosi, I know what you mean about planning dinner. Sometimes it just gets to be a job! I hope your DH will “chill” soon and give you some peace. (((Hugs))) swearing-smiley.gif
    Joyce, sending a special prayer for you and Charlie. I hope it’s nothing serious and can be corrected soon.

KarenVA, I hope you get that much needed nap!!! sleeping-beauty-smiley-emoticon.gif

Barbie, those were such good examples of people with different circumstances and outlooks on life. I truly feel that so much of our happiness or unhappiness is from our attitude and what we make of it. Some people would not be happy no matter what was going on or what they had. I’m sure it would be fun to be rich and never have to worry about what things cost, but we all know that it truly doesn’t assure happiness. I am once again reminded of how happy I am to have all of you in my life.

Lillian, pointing-and-laughing.gif I guess while the two of you are shoveling the dirt you will want us to give you an alibi?

Katla, you said “Since I don't have a magic wand we'll continue to do the best we can.” That is all that could be asked of anyone. I do hope you have a pleasant trip and the airport hassles are few. airplane.gif

Cheri, the afghan is beautiful. Thanks for the hug and right back at ya.

Allie, you can crank about anything you want. I think you’ve earned it. I just can’t imagine having so many people depend on me for so much as you do. I love that you keep such a positive and giving attitude. Just please take care of yourself and do something nice for “you” once in a while. ((((Hugs))))

CarolGA, I do hope your DH can repair the doors. I hope you kept some of the renter’s security deposit.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I haven’t been to the gym in 3 days for various reasons so I’m headed there now. Next week I have a pretty busy schedule with meetings and activities so will have to be sure to get in my workouts. I can’t believe the month is over half gone already. I hope all of you are having a good month with success in all that you do.
    Sending love and good thoughts to all of you and I hope you all have a Happy and Healthy Day! rainbow-smiley-emoticon.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, blow.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    edited July 2016
    Aahhh...it's Sunday. Time to clean up and put things away now that the cook out/fest is over.

The Brats, Burgers & Beer fest is over and went very well. We ended up wih a total of 24 different beers in the cooler to taste. I did not taste more than half and only a sip of those sampled. :o

When I finally sat down to eat a burger I found I could not eat most of what I had put on my plate. I hit the full feeling quickly after eating half of the burger and some potato salad. I had put on my plate my 'usual' portions (pre-MFP) and discovered my stomach has shrunk from when I began minding my portion sizes. I did manage to stay close to my calorie goal so that was a win in my book.

Also one of my neighbors noted I seemed to have lost weight, she thought my face looked slimmer. I still wear my same baggy clothes so I was surprised it was noticeable in my face.

Charleen in Colorado (On to another great adventure!)
  • melaniemetoyer
    melaniemetoyer Posts: 50 Member
    Well, my plan was to say how I got a 3 mile walk in this morning, (I did), but unfortunately, there has been another shooting here in Baton Rouge...several officers shot. Please keep their families in your thoughts and prayers today and going forward, it's going to be a long week. Hope your little corners of the world are free from any chaos, and madness.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,183 Member
    Hello all!
    I'm back from the festivities for the 90th birthday.
    Of course it went very well. :bigsmile: Even the journey was easy and uneventful and I managed to be firm and polite about making my own arrangements for the extra curricular activities. NSV for me!
    I'm posting a photo of DH and his aunt in the garden when we got there. Despite her diminutive size she has every one of her marbles and is a pleasure to talk to.

iuhua97i9x7z.jpg

I drank too much Prosecco, along with a few cups of tea, but I was doing OK on the food with mainly light salads and no cake or carbs until DSIL 's boyfriend produced trays full of vegeterian samosas with yogurt dips.at 8pm. Oh dear! They were gorgeous ones from a fantastic Indian bakery in London. We sat out until 10.30, getting a bit chilly, but it was all good.
    Unfortunately, walking back to the hotel DH and DSIL got into a disagreement about the family troubles, which rather upset him. I hope I was able to reassure him that they could agree to differ. We all, 5 of us, including his niece went and had a last drink in the bar and all was resolved that way.
    My DSIL was very preoccupied with that and her problems getting her acreditation for her counselling. She has already resubmitted, but didn't understand all the requirements so failed again. She is paying out £200 for an appeal on the grounds she was given bad advice. :ohwell: In my opinion, having listened to a radio programme about it, she has a syndrome called "dispraxia", which affects her ability to plan and marshall information.
    We left early this morning after breakfast and we're home in good time for DH to get off to cricket.

Kim - I remember when you were calling yourself Momsamodel. This is a long standing thing and you are learning to deal with it with grace :flowerforyou:

Joyce - My thoughts are with you and Charlie.

I did 350 cals of exercise when I got in, but I was tooooooo tired to do any more. I slept for 2 hours. I've just made a huge pot of chilli to have with cauliflower rice. No alcohol tonight. My liver knows it needs a rest. :ohwell:

Love to all, Heather

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited July 2016
    Melanie Kudos on your 3 mile walk...and tears for your police officers...unspeakable. :'(<3

Heather So glad you waltzed through your get-together. It sounds as if you did well.

Rosie An old friend, when asked "What's for supper?" pauses just long enough to get the asker's attention and then innocently replies, "I give up...?" :)

I am physically and now emotionally a bit peaked so shall turn off the TV for now and get a short snooze. I am glued to the set the last hour, must turn it off for a bit.

Cheri Thanks for the group hug, and for the lovely quilt, I shall pretend I have pulled it over me for my nap.

Joyce You are mighty quiet, making me think Charlie is having a problem in the hospital? Hope not, keep us posted. (((hug)))

Karen in Virginia
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,491 Member
    gotta go to the gym and pass the 900 mi ... post later.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited July 2016
    csofled wrote: »
    Good Morning!

Posting progress on my #temperatureafghan2016

clji60k4p2gh.jpg

Quiet day here. Break from the packing for now.

From me to all of you t4624.gif!

Cheri

This is absolutely beautiful! :heart: :heart: :heart:

Katla in beautiful (and overcast) NW Oregon
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,901 Member
    A couple of weeks ago I posted about a group of volunteers that make knitted squares to send to women in third world countries for use as sanitary napkins. It turns out they do a lot more than that, it's pretty phenomenal. Here is the link for anyone interested.

http://fromtheheartstitchers.org/index.htm

Karen in Virginia

:) Thank you....I bookmarked this for future reference. I am looking for someplace to send my knitted items, and this might be the place. <3
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,099 Member
    <3
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    We spent about 7 hours in the ER. I had to search out an aide and she told me they were waiting on a bed. I diidn't even know they were admitting him until and aide told me. So we got him in a room and left at 5 AM. Talked to him this morning and the surgeon came in and told him that since the gall bladder is over in the area the recent ileostomy of 7 weeks is, he would rather keep him in the hospital for about 4 days with IVs and antibiotics. Of course this comes from a man who was drugged at the time and put the phone down and didn't hang it up. So we had a simple lunch of sloppy joes made with ground turkey, I only had half a bun I had fresh carrots and they had chips and dip. It is about time for my sis and Michelle to get here for some cake and ice cream and gifts for Trinity. Then we will go up to see him.

JOyce, Indiana
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Joyce Thanks for update.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,901 Member
    edited July 2016
    <3Joyce, thanks for the report about Charlie...sorry he has to stay at the hospital but glad that he is being cared for.

:)Heather, I'm happy to hear that you weathered DH's aunt's birthday with grace and are now able to relax and get back to your own life.

:)Cheri, the afghan is awesome.

<3 Barbie
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,938 Member
    Just a quick comment about moms. I don't know if they are deliberately mean, just clueless, or some combination, but really?

My mother, who is considered quite sweet by all who know her, and really would do anything for me, blah, blah, blah you get the picture, said this to me yesterday. she had been to a gender reveal party for my nephew and his wife and she said it to me about my brother's ex-wife, the grandmother to be, whom she had not seen for several years. "She has gotten so fat! I didn't recognize her. She's as big as you are!"

Luckily I have grown (pun not intended) past the stage of letting her words hurt me. My self-esteem is not wrapped up in whether my mother thinks I am an acceptable weight or not.

Kim, I'm sorry that your mom hurt you with her words. I wish you lived close to me. I'd let you go shopping in my closet for something to wear. I have lots to choose from in several sizes. I have been known to buy a few clothes in my time. But I'm sure you will look fabulous in whatever you put together.

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Joyce: Thinking of you right now and hoping Charlie gets the help he needs to deal with his problems while he's in the hospital. :heart:
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,491 Member
    917mi