Serial Starters

Replies

• tlsb2016
    tlsb2016 Posts: 307 Member
    hickchic67 wrote: »
    Am trying to come to terms with the results from my older brother's CT scan he had last week. He has always been as healthy as a horse. Early last year he had a sudden issue with congestive heart failure. That finally worked itself out and he was fine. Then late last year he went to ER thinking he had appendicitis - dr said it was actually stage 4 colon cancer. He had surgery to remove it and started on chemo. All previous scans show the chemo was working. However, the scan last week showed the chemo has stopped working and the cancer has grown and now spread to liver, kidney, lungs, lymph nodes, and even into his skin. The family is devastated. I have always tried to be there for him but right now I feel so incredibly helpless. I dont know what to do for him.

Oh, Kathryn - I'm so sorry about this terrible news.
  • LanaCabana537
    LanaCabana537 Posts: 3,961 Member
    edited August 2017
    Kathryn - Such terrible news.
    As for what you can do:
    Call him every day, and be available to listen to him anytime. This is how you can help.

Is he married? Have children? Does he live far away?

Lana
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Tilliesmommy1 Posts: 5,380 Member
    I agree with Lana and could not have said it better.
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Okay dinner and shower over....

My pcp only works part time and is leaving so she is booked solid but there are "same day" appointments possible I will try for Wednesday......

Will wait for hair to dry before going to sleep - real rat's nest otherwise.

Under Lana's Palm Tree with Miss T. Will bring reading
  • Tilliesmommy1
    TUESDAY

Good morning,

Kathryn, I will add to Lana that in fact you have already done "it" you have shown your brother in your actions your support for him. So just 'keep on keepin' on".

Put hot water bottle on Tillie's tummy - to see if it would stop the rumbling. It is quiet this morning, we also had a grass eating outing last night, so we shall see.

Meals are in place, now to walk more and sneak less....

Wave to all who follow, will lurk from work.
  • ASalner
    ASalner Posts: 496 Member
    Tuesday

Sorry I have been MIA again. I've been checking in to read, but haven't written.

Kathryn, I am sorry to hear about your brother. You are all in my prayers!

I think I'm finally on track after an entire spring/summer of "false starts". I actually made it through yesterday without drinking any pop! The headache has found me and hopefully will pass soon. I am having a bit of coffee this morning, so that should help. Yesterday would have been stellar as far as carbs/sweets go except we had our church's youth group director over for supper which ended up being more carby - and included dessert. Just is. Today will be better. And I will stay away from pop.

My back got kinda snarly over the weekend so saw chiro yesterday and will have my regular monthly massage today. Am doing my stretches and exercises pretty consistently. So, we will see. I asked chiro about talking to regular MD about this. My hesitation is I don't just want pain pills shoved at me. He said due to the chronic nature, he might think about talking to regular MD to see about having further x-rays or MRI to look for any other issues in lower back and hips. The x-ray the chiro did a few years ago on my back/low back didn't show anything - but an MRI might? Or maybe I have a hip issue that is manifesting as back pain? Chiro doesn't really think we will find anything if I go for further testing. So, not sure what to do.

We were supposed to go camping this weekend - in a tent - but the weather is looking rainy. I think we will scrap those plans and look for other things to do. I will still take Thursday and Friday off of work.

Have been looking at houses and found one we love although the yard is almost non-existent which might not work with our big dog - and our kids. And it's a bit over our budget. We could make it work, but I hate to be house poor. Trying to convince hubby we will need to stay put in spite of neighbor and work on really stockpiling $$$ so maybe next summer we can be in a better place to sell our house and have a large enough down payment for something newer/bigger/etc. He just wants to do the deal and not worry about the finances. He says "I'll get an extra job" and I tell him that is not a solution to this issue. He can't work an extra job for the next 30 years!

Better get some work done. And I might need to break down and take some ibuprofen for this headache!

Will lurk from work.

Annie
  • LanaCabana537
    Woman's day

During apartheid men classified as black had to carry a DOMPAS or an internal passport in order to visit towns or "whites only regions" as part of the Group Areas Act. women didn't carry them but the government wanted to ammend the law so women classified as black would have to carry them as well. The women didn't like that so they marched to the Union Buildings (our version of the white house) in protest. We commemorate the day every year as a reminder that women's rights are important etc. etc.

Thank you for the description! Hope you have a great day tomorrow!

Lana
  • hickchic67
    hickchic67 Posts: 802 Member
    Thank you for your words of encouragement. will see if the oncologists try a different chemo & biologic. maybe something new will get it under control.

Lana - he is married and has children, in fact he just got his second granddaughter - the "nibling" I told you about in July. everyone is just devastated. He lives a few hours from me but I have not been able to talk to anyone since they told me about the scan results. They are not answering the phone or emails right now. I have not been able to drive up to see him yet due to work. My plan is to go see him this weekend.

rsamuels - very interesting part of history! I think its impressive it has become a national holiday. Mother's Day is about as close as we have to any holiday for women at all.

Annie - dont feel rushed or pressured into moving. that is a huge monetary commitment. you husband may think its a quick fix to get out of neighborhood but it sounds like it may not improve your lives. i tend to think you have the better plan by saving money to get what you really want. you are right, an extra job is not a long term option. i hope you can reach a solution.

Am on a new start to get all the processed food I have indulged in out of my system and keep it out of future meals. It will be a challenge because at new job, there are no real alternatives to the vending machine if I forget to pack a meal or snack. I have done it before, so I know I can do it again, just have to push myself a bit harder this time.
  • LanaCabana537

The head cold is in full force today, but I coaxed myself out of bed to get going and feel a bit better. Now to plan the day's meals....

Annie - look for a sports medicine physician--one who has a physical therapy clinic. Get an MRI to see exactly what parts of your back are in what condition. I did that many years ago; it was very informative.
    In the meantime, if you are able, do abdominal exercises, which strengthen the back.

Lana
  • ASalner
    ASalner Posts: 496 Member
    Thanks, Lana! I am working on ab exercises as prescribed by PT and chiro. I'm doing planks and bridges, but I have admittedly been lax about them. Realizing I must be consistent and build strength - it may do more good than I realize. Stretching is nice but I am understanding the strength may help keep things in line better and make it less apt to getting out of joint.
  • arniedog74
    arniedog74 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Kathryn - so sorry to hear about your brother... hope they find something that helps....we are all here for you if/ when you need us
  • Saltine24
    Saltine24 Posts: 143 Member
    Hi everyone,

Kathryn, I am sorry to hear about your brother, please keep us posted. My prayers are with you & your family.

Lana, I hope your head cold gets better really quick for you.

So I was only able to walk my dogs once last week. I intended on waking up at 5 am to try an early morning walk but as usual I allowed myself hit the snooze button and didn't wake up until 6. After work walks don't usually go over well but will still try to get at least 30 min in today. We'll see how the evening goes. Not sure why, but I used to get up at 4:30 do a workout on the treadmill at home then get ready for my day but now my body overtakes my mind and I just don't get out of bed until I absolutely have to.

The gym at my work will be going under new management (as of Sept.) & they are increasing (doubling) the membership cost so I am contemplating canceling it and relying on me actually do my workouts in my home gym :s

I hope everyone has a great evening!
    **waves to all**

Saltine
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Good evening,

Soon another dog walk, wondering if I should take book again so she can wander /eat grass while on leash.

Hoping I can get dr apt tomorrow. Need some information about an issue. Read too much online....not sure what to do.

I have 5 things to do tomorrow, library, hair cut, Michael's (buy an organizing system for work info), pedicure and with any luck dr apt. 4 out of 5 are good.

Dawn - now you work days again - has your sleep gotten back to "normal"?

Under Lana's Palm Tree with large fan and cold drink. Dog is flirting with cboys again.....

Wishing all a good night
  • arniedog74
    Sara - I'm back to sleeping nights and being alert during the day... for the most part...I have been so tired lately, I've been falling asleep between 8:30pm and 9:30pm..
    Which, I used to always be a night owl... so, not sure what to think... especially since I still feel tired in the morning... even if I get up and make myself breakfast...
  • tlsb2016

Good evening,

Soon another dog walk, wondering if I should take book again so she can wander /eat grass while on leash.

Hoping I can get dr apt tomorrow. Need some information about an issue. Read too much online....not sure what to do.

Sara, good luck with the doctor's appointment. I understand about reading too much online - while I find WebMD & others useful, sometimes the conflicting information can be nerve-wracking. I hope you can get some good - and reassuring - info from your doctor.
  • tlsb2016
    Weather is beautiful these days - low 80s, no humidity. We have the windows open this evening - love hearing the night sounds and our two cats are busy running from window to window. We're hoping this will tire them out enough to sleep all night instead of waking us up at 2:30....at 4:00....at 5:00....

Good night all.

Tess
  • arniedog74
    Tess- Windows open here as well... very nice evening and days have been nice as well... surprising for August... but, definitely enjoying it...
  • LanaCabana537

Hello Ladies~~

Sara - I hope you can get an appointment with your doctor. Enjoy all the frills of tomorrow~~

Time to hit the hay here....

Lana
  • Tilliesmommy1
    WEDNESDAY

Good morning,

Dog up with paper, I wanted more sleep, but she is on her schedule.... and chicken flavored wet meal was rejected :o and I thought she ate everything - luckily I had a beef flavored one. Liverwurst back on tap starting Sunday.

Window open with nice air coming in.

Nail lady can be flexible today, so I will call on the dot at 8 to get an appointment and then rearrange the other to do things.

I know of 2 ladies at work who are much younger than me who are going through their own health problems, I just remembered this as I was getting online - I am just feeling old at the moment.

Dog is done, her meds are taken care of. I will leave window open for a little while longer and then back to ZZZ with any luck.

Wave to all who follow. BBL