Serial Starters

Options

Replies

• bcovely
    bcovely Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I am looking for friends. I was 8 pounds away from my goal than life happened. My daughter is having health issues so I had to move. My husband and I are job hunting and then we need to house hunt. In the mean time I turned to food for comfort. So now instead of 8 pounds, I have 25 to lose (still down 20 from where I started). I refuse to buy bigger clothes (right now cant afford it). I have to take control before the food controls me - but I know I cant do it alone. Thanks and Happy Easter
  • tlsb2016
    tlsb2016 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Welcome back, Missy, and welcome bcoverly!

“Life has a way of getting in the way” seems to be the challenge for all of us! So you are in good company. Don’t beat yourself up - just realize that those challenges are part of life’s journey, and weight loss/good health are part of that lifelong journey, not just a defined moment in time. When you have that perspective, then a step-back of a few months or some pounds don’t seem like a failure. It’s life, and the important thing is you’re back.

When I first came on this group, I lurked for a long time, getting my energy and support from reading about others. Soon I started to engage, realizing that it was being part of the community that really helped me - sharing my day and struggles with others and giving my support to others. That engagement was a game-changer for me.

So welcome. Lurk if you need to, tell us more about yourselves when you can.

Best,

Tess, typing from the DC area, where the sun is finally out today

• LanaCabana537
    LanaCabana537 Posts: 3,894 Member
    Options
    arniedog74 wrote: »
    I'm so excited! My 3 Buddies arrived today! I'm sad, cuz my phone won't let me share pic on here... but, they are so adorable and the scents are so yummy! Hoping to get them to the children right away... Thank you so much Sara and Lana! I greatly appreciate you donating... can't wait to see the smile on their faces...

Dawn - I hope that you can share my laugh at myself: I am on my first cup of slightly caffeinated coffee, and I read the words "My 3 Buddies arrived today!..." and I think to myself "Oh, Dawn is having friends come in to town for Easter weekend. I must have missed that post of hers telling about it...."
    Then I read on and find out you mean the Scentsy Buddies. Ha ha! *big stupid grin*
    Excellent!

Lana
  • LanaCabana537
    Options
    missy0936 wrote: »
    Ok so I guess this is the point of this thread huh. Here I am... again. I’m on MFP looking for motivation to get back on it and I find this thread. I’m like oooh perfect, only to realize I already came here.... in January... three months ago. What the heck have I been doing for three months the cause it certainly wasn’t losing weight.

Oh well here I am again. Hope everyone is doing great!

Welcome back Missy! (We have two Missys!)
    Give yourself a big pat on the back for getting your boat turned around~~

Lana
  • LanaCabana537
    Options
    bcovely wrote: »
    Hi there, I am looking for friends. I was 8 pounds away from my goal than life happened. My daughter is having health issues so I had to move. My husband and I are job hunting and then we need to house hunt. In the mean time I turned to food for comfort. So now instead of 8 pounds, I have 25 to lose (still down 20 from where I started). I refuse to buy bigger clothes (right now cant afford it). I have to take control before the food controls me - but I know I cant do it alone. Thanks and Happy Easter

Hello there~~

Glad you found our thread. Happy Easter~~
    Sorry to hear about your daughter's health issues.
    Give yourself lots of credit for keeping those 20 pounds off.

Lana
  • LanaCabana537
    Options

Sara - funny about Tillie and the food and the paper!
    So sorry to hear about the blood lab being defunct or whatever. I understand your upsettedness--that has happened to me--having my favorite places close or relocate. Lots more frequent changes and re-shuffling in the medical field the last few years it seems.

Thinking out loud: I will remind myself that going forward, whenever I feel lonely, I should remember the silver lining of Food in the House and Food Choices. With having my groceries ordered and delivered here in NC (no car) I have not looked at Easter season stuff, and so I have no Easter candy in the house. I won't be facing lots of feast-type food.

I was thinking of walking to the grocery store to get milk and just to sort of be around people. Then I realized that if I go anywhere, it should be in the other direction to the mini-Target store downtown where they have basic groceries but won't have tables and tables of baked goods and baskets of treats and all that stuff.

Lana

241.4 today
    250.0 highest
    185.0 goal
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Tilliesmommy1 Posts: 5,353 Member
    Options
    I dodged a bullet this morning. I walked to my car and this lady was sitting along side on a sidewalk, I didnt want to bother her, so I slowly backed out. She didnt hear my car and stood up - moral of the story is next time ask them to stand up so I can back out, I saw her later and apologized and she did as well. But it is the adrenaline that I am working through the "what ifs" and "how could I be so stupid". Remember next time better to bother them.

Lana - I am considering traveling farther to get to a lab place that I know is always open M-F. I may have to sit there and drink more water, but at least I know where it is. Price/costs and coverage is driving the changes.

Okay ground chicken for salads and fried rice. Bought a glass water bottle that has the option of putting tea/lemon/ginger / cucumber in a metal filter to have flavored water with a padded cover.

Hope your day goes well and if you dont drop by before Monday - Happy Easter.
  • LanaCabana537
    Options

Hey Sara - Your water bottle sounds great. Good idea!

I worked out in the yard today for several hours, at a slow pace, but it was a lot of moving around, so it had to be good for me. I'm quite weary now.

I am waiting for The Schwan's Man to come with my frozen food delivery, but he is now past the time window. I hate that. They used to come on Wednesdays, but they cancelled at the last minute and said (email) that they'd come with my order on Saturday between 2 & 5. Why can't things just go as planned? I know, I know......it's just that I'm so tired, and I really need to get in my jammies and lay down. Going to go look online for a phone number....

*pout*

Lana
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    Went and bought 2 pair of walking/running/hiking shoes for the money I budgeted. Have not had a casual pair of shoes to wear on jeans day in awhile. Glad I went today- I was going to go tomorrow but they are closed for Easter.

Lana - I dont like planning my day around an appointment (think dr apt as well) and sit there waiting. I hope your Schwann's Man shows up soon. I have seen their trucks around here - what do you order and is it worth it?

Dog has had a nice walk in new shoes #1 have #2 pair on right now. They will both do well. I try on the left shoes to make sure they fit, did not try on both (not too smart, but luckily it worked this time).

I am wondering about a nap in my future.

They are coming in to clean out clothes dryer flue soon every place gets it done, gives me a golden opportunity to dejunk a little more.....
  • LanaCabana537
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Sara - I think Schwan's is worth if for me because I do not have a car/can't drive to grocery stores. Also, I don't have the stamina I used to have before illness, so to have a freezer full of pre-cooked things is tops. However, nothing that I've had from them is fabulous enough to recommend to you. Trader Joe's has plenty of stuff that is just as good and at a much better price. Even grocery stores have plenty of good frozen food. The truck IS a freezer truck, so the ice cream does come in perfect condition. Ha ha!

NOW. Having said all that, would you believe that I did not get my delivery? At 5:20 I called the Schwan's 888 number off of the website, and I was told that the driver recorded that he couldn't make the delivery because at 4:12PM no one was home. I was SO upset, almost in tears. I left my gate at the top of the driveway open. My house is not very big, and no one came to either the front or back door. He must have broken fingers, because he did not call. Frankly, I think I was blown off. I would bet that he never even came into my neighborhood.

I wrote them a complaint letter on their website. Yeh, that and 2.75 will get me on the subway. Asshat driver. (evidently not a *kitten* word!)
    ----
    However, Sara, I am happy knowing that you got two nice pairs of shoes for yourself---and you did it today without having disappointment tomorrow. Yay!

Lana
  • arniedog74
    arniedog74 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Lana - how disappointing about Schwanns.... growing up, mom and dad bought from them, almost every week... they had a delicious California Blend and, stuffed pasta shells... pretty good ice cream as well... it is a bit pricey... but, pretty tasty..

Sara - glad you found good shoes...I got some a few weeks ago, with "memory foam" was nice for a week or so... definitely noticing difference, now... disappointed ..

Really wishing the weather would warm up and stay that way... my mood has gone kinda sour and, I just keep looking at myself, wondering what happened to me...

Good to know, "asshat" is not a "kitten" word...I can use it to describe more than 1 person...haha...

Lana - sorry for confusion about "Buddies" was a good chuckle :)

• LanaCabana537
    Options
    arniedog74 wrote: »
    Lana - how disappointing about Schwanns.... growing up, mom and dad bought from them, almost every week... they had a delicious California Blend and, stuffed pasta shells... pretty good ice cream as well... it is a bit pricey... but, pretty tasty..

Sara - glad you found good shoes...I got some a few weeks ago, with "memory foam" was nice for a week or so... definitely noticing difference, now... disappointed ..

Really wishing the weather would warm up and stay that way... my mood has gone kinda sour and, I just keep looking at myself, wondering what happened to me...

Good to know, "asshat" is not a "kitten" word...I can use it to describe more than 1 person...haha...

Lana - sorry for confusion about "Buddies" was a good chuckle :)

Dawn, it was totally me and my morning fog with the Buddies this morning! LOL!

As for your "looking at myself, wondering what happened to me....." unfortunately, this is how it is for many of us.

I've picked up a few little pearls that I use when I observe my mood going steadily south, and one is
    simply "This is how it is right now"
    Also I no longer try immediately to chase away sadness; I remember to hold it kindly and try to lean into it. That helps sometimes.
    My friend Monica lately has been saying "We'll just see what happens" instead of fretting or being anxious about the unknowns of the future.

Hugs,
    Lana
  • Tilliesmommy1
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Good evening,

Dawn, memory foam is a great phrase for a cheap way to raise the price of shoes, I have orthodics so the first thing I check in shoes is can I get this piece of kitten out of my shoes? My inserts were expensive but are light years better than most of the inserts that come with the shoes. So long as your shoes are still comfortable.... right? Both of my new shoes are comfortable and have been on dog walk. So they stay.

Dawn - I can also look in the mirror and wonder who the heck is that?

Tonight's dinner was a tortilla with cheese and broccoli. Cookies - 2 - soon

Washed the hand washable dishes. Second pot is on for eye compress and hot chocolate.

Tomorrow is meal making. No nap for me today- maybe tomorrow.
  • arniedog74
    Options
    Lana - thank you so much...I know, my issues are with myself... just have to make better choices... and, a little bit of issues at work... but, I'll push thru...the mirror is not my friend...

Sara- I was only able to go to Wal Mart for shoes... these, were about the best for what I needed...the soles of others were a joke... like foam and wouldn't last at all...I think, I will just get used to it... just achy legs, I am on my feet a lot...

I am hoping, to start walking on my lunch... at least until temps get too warm... which, the way the weather is, could be next week...haha... also, have seen posts for "Virtual Race" I'm intrigued, but not sure how legit...you pay, complete the designated steps, then sent an "award"... money goes to charity, at least that's what is advertised... up in the air for now
  • hickchic67
    hickchic67 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I took a wager today that gave a huge boost to my self-image and motivation to keep working on losing the weight. I was cleaning out my closet and ran across an old "clubbing" outfit I'd gotten for a Las Vegas trip with the girls some 17 years ago. A friend said he bet I could fit in it now. So on a whim, I tried it on. I'll be damned - the thing actually fit! I looked up a pic of me wearing it in 2001 and put it side by side with me in it last night. Things aren't quite in the same shape as they were back then, but I was still shocked that I could even fit my big butt in it!

Am more motivated than ever to keep working on losing the weight!

158.5 CW
    216.0 HW
    145.0 GW
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    SUNDAY

Good morning, Bcovely (spelling?) - welcome to the board. Post when you can.

Kathyrn - wow!! congratulations, now that is a NSV if I ever heard of one! B)

Did my dishwashing and laundry yesterday so today is all cooking for prep work. Nap may find me as well.

QOTD: Now that Lent is over and some people gave things up for Lent - what are you focusing on this week?

AOTD: water, comfortable feet (hoping to walk more) and sleep.

BBL
  • LanaCabana537
    Options

Good morning All~~

Well, March is gone. In my mind that is the end of winter.

Kathryn - Big, big congratulations on finding and fitting into the clubbing outfit. Keep on going indeed!!!

Dawn - Yes, get that walking in--good idea. Beware of mushy spongy shoes for peeps who stand a lot.

Sara - I hope you enjoy doing your prep cooking and then have some good Sunday rest and relaxation off your feet!

Waving to Tess and Missy and Melissa (also Missy) and Saltine and Ash and everyone else who pops by the Cabana Club later on.

AOTD: Fresh vegetables and meats, less prepared foods. Also ought to start doing some sort of floor exercises for strengthening. The mat is out on the living room floor....... has been for 2 weeks now.

Lana

240.8 today
    250.0 highest
    185.0 goal
  • arniedog74
    Options
    Happy Easter! Planning on staying away from candy, today... not much around house, so should be ok...SO made cake for cousin birthday on Fri...I had 2 pieces over 2 days... cake almost gone... I'm really ok with that...

Kathryn - amazing NSV! That had to feel wonderful! Keep it up!

Lana - could you tell the weather that winter is over, please? 29° this morning and still expecting snow... nope, definitely not April Fool's joke...

Sara - you are such an inspiration with your food prep... I've never been able to get there... other than lunch the night before...

Hope everyone has a great day....
    May check in later...
    Hoping for nap..

• Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    So proud of myself, got a craft chest (plastic) emptied and dumped. Was in the way of dryer cleaning and I thought why keep it?

No easter eggs - but had hot chocolate with coffee this morning.

Dawn - it is still chilly here in the mornings - so I throw my coat in my bag at the end of the day. Can you get those little containers of fruit cocktail is the only one I can think of.....and keep at your desk at work?

Off to knit and my frozen sweet potato /turkey shepards pie is in oven - store bought on a 2/$7.00 sale.

BBL Enjoy your Easter.
  • tlsb2016
    tlsb2016 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Kathryn, congrats on the NSV! What a boost.

Dawn, you had a great NSV yourself, with only having 2 pieces of birthday cake over 2 days. Way to go!

Lana, that scale is inching downward - lots of applause for you too!

Bit by bit, we’ll get there....

Happy Easter to those who celebrate. Happy Spring to all (except to Samuels, if she is still around - I think it is probably Fall in South Africa now).

Best,

Tess