Serial Starters

Options

Replies

• Tilliesmommy1
    Tilliesmommy1 Posts: 5,330 Member
    Options
    phone hold puts me to sleep..... the music is not what Dawn should be using on her walks!!
  • marsellilove
    marsellilove Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    @arniedog74 seconding Lana's suggestion to put the library card to extra work for you. Our library uses Overdrive and Libby (I use Overdrive) for ebooks and audio book and I love it to get through long days at work and to walk to. Especially when music wont stream due to spotty network connections :P

Also podcast apps (like Stitcher) are also great because you download them on your wifi and then you are set. Nothing motivates you to walk faster than a true crime podcast ahahah
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    Dawn I hummed /sang to myself what I could remember of YMCA on my afternoon break/walk - there were too many "young men" in the lobby and that got me started. Nice upbeat and slightly obnoxious song........
  • arniedog74
    arniedog74 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies! Super great advice! I don't know why, I never think about audio books/podcasts. I will check out the library. Haven't been in years.

Sara- I LOL'D at hold music comment. Glad you had a great "Me" day...

Lynn- hope your Dad will be better, soon. Sounds like a tough situation... unfortunately, fleas and ticks are out, here. Actually, they never truly go away. Very annoying. Could definitely do without both.

Lana- I do enjoy Agatha Christie...

• arniedog74
    arniedog74 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Dawn I hummed /sang to myself what I could remember of YMCA on my afternoon break/walk - there were too many "young men" in the lobby and that got me started. Nice upbeat and slightly obnoxious song........

You crack me up! :D
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    9803 total steps.

Will have 3 hours of shadowing next week - I will think of it as training and hope things go well. They are gone tomorrow and you know what happens when the cats are away......

just a little of the tune going through my head after 2nd break-

Young man, there's no need to feel down.
    I said, young man, pick yourself off the ground.
    I said, young man, 'cause you're in a new town
    There's no need to be unhappy.

Young man, there's a place you can go.
    I said, young man, when you're short on your dough.
    You can stay there, and I'm sure you will find
    Many ways to have a good time.

It's fun to stay at the Y.M.C.A.
    It's fun to stay at the Y.M.C.A.

Too many verses for me to remember, but there you go.....just a sample

Wishing all a good night
  • LanaCabana537
    LanaCabana537 Posts: 3,841 Member
    Options

I slept for three hours, and now I'm awake. Hmm. ....some cereal and milk....will go back to bed in a few minutes.

Lynn - I hope that things get better for your father very soon.

Lana
  • Tilliesmommy1
    edited May 2019
    Options
    FRIDAY

Good morning, TGIF

Lynn, our bodies are amazing and although things are slow to change, at least his doctors have not written the whole thing off (so to speak). Sending good thoughts as well.

Lana- hope you found sleep again.

I was thinking if I needed walking music disco would be one of the most invigorating - dawn see if there are any "greatest disco hits" you can download - those who dont remember disco or are doing ????? youtube is a good resource.

Hard to know if I should jump ship at work or if in time "this too shall pass". Straddling a fence is not the most comfortable but that is where I am. Bull in the china shop is giving his workfile to someone else and will not be running to/from printer like he used to. Wowie how nice is that?

o05ya677xcif.png

definitely squirrely week, wave to all who follow.
  • suzu_2
    suzu_2 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Morning All!
    Happy Friday!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • LanaCabana537
    Options

Sara - Yes, it is hard to know what direction to take with work, and straddling the fence is not comfortable.

I have only a very foggy recollection of what it is like to work in an office - I worked as a secretary when I first moved to New York, so I understand how having an annoying office situation can be like Chinese water torture. Just a little drip, drip can eventually drive you crazy.

Questions to ask yourself of your current job are: Are the benefits good? Is the taking of personal time off easy to do? Is the work itself comfortably do-able aside from the vision challenges? Are the vision challenges detrimental over time? Is the commute from home to work a tolerable one?

The grass very well may be greener on the other side. Maybe now is the time to look for something with better pay, location, or benefits, but it's possible that a new job will come with the same annoying co-workers, but if other things about a new job are significant improvements, then you should look for a new job.

As for staying with the current job, two things you might consider: when a co-worker is doing something in their cubicle that is hurting your work, you could personally say something to them (or if it's better to use the chain of command--have supervisor say something). It's bad to just be annoyed without at least having tried to let the annoying person know that they are hurting your work.

Lastly, if you cannot change your circumstances, you can change your reaction. Try to take the power away from the Chinese water torture - look at it differently. You can google around for how to do this.

I've saved the worst for last: There exists age discrimination that is never spoken of. I know of so many women (not sure if it happens to men) who have worked at jobs of all sorts who have been squeezed out of their job once they've reached a certain age. Either their workload was taken away from them or they were repeatedly passed over for promotion. It is a cousin of The Glass Ceiling. So often women are either let go or not hired because the company would rather have a perky 20- or 30- something year old to do the job, sometimes for less money.

So Sara, look around for a different job, but jump ship only if the new job would have significant improvements for you.

"better the devil you know than the devil you don't"

The above tome written with love~~

Lana

• Tilliesmommy1
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Lana-an essay from Lana what an honor,thank you- sometimes just looking for another job makes me feel better. So far I know the benefits are better than many other places and how often can I walk to work? Civil Service is another possibility but any unknown for me. I plod on wards.

Dog wanted out early so we are back early.

Someone on my knitting board posted using sugar with borax to get rid of ants put into a jar lid under sink or on counter top. Half sugar and half borax, they cant resist the sugar and the borax is not good for them. No fumes and dog safe if put in right place.

• brennerjlb
    brennerjlb Posts: 720 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    TGIF
    Lana - good thoughts.
    Sara- that is really tough what you are going through. If only one could see the future. Breath, take one day at a time.
    Thanks to all the well wishes for my dad. He did get off dialysis yesterday and apparently called his wife asking for his shoes to be brought up today. So that means he must plan on shuffling out of his room today - fingers crossed.
    Dawn - can i ask a question - ticks after they are "in" a dog for a bit and taken off - Maggie has a fairly good sized bump there. Doesn't seem to bother her to touch. I put antibiotic salve on it. Do I have to be more concerned?
    Will have to step on scale today. Avoiding it since I was on vacation :wink:
    Lurking. Will force myself to report my numbers in a bit.
    Oh and some how MFP knows I was in Salida and Bueno Vista CO this weekend. It pops up ads now. What the heck. Darn Google....crazy you look up a map or a tourist spot and they know right where you are.
  • brennerjlb
    Options
    Oh and Sara - thanks for the YMCA song swimming around in my head! :smiley:
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    9fc6epu9js8g.png

worth repeating
  • brennerjlb
    Options
    Weigh in

CW 189.8 - holding steady
    GW 170
    HW 207 (197 was my recent plateau)
  • LanaCabana537
    Options
    Ladies~~

Leandro and The Cabana Boys have added extra salts to the pools and spa for us this evening. Zero - point cocktails and snacks are available. Foot massages....just raise your hand!

(PS....Mario is nowhere in sight. I think he is not due back for another week or two.)

ndf0gd22nugv.jpg

Lana

• Twiley510
    Twiley510 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Ladies~~

Leandro and The Cabana Boys have added extra salts to the pools and spa for us this evening. Zero - point cocktails and snacks are available. Foot massages....just raise your hand!

(PS....Mario is nowhere in sight. I think he is not due back for another week or two.)

Lana

May I bring my daughter? It's her birthday.

Looking forward to a soak in the saltwater and a nice beverage! Thank you, Lana!

• Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    11177 total steps,

flopping into lounge chair next to Lana - Miss T is already flirting with the cboys (not a total surprise)

Got fava beans in monthly fruit/veg box. Not sure what to do with them but I saw a recipe for sauteed fava beans with garlic and onions and served warm or cold.

Wishing all a good night.
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    SATURDAY

Good morning,

Slept like a log until neighbor woke me up, it is our normal time anyway....

Have good roasting vegetables so I will get chicken for a couple meals.

Wave to all who follow.
  • suzu_2
    suzu_2 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Well said Lana! Happy Saturday all - suzu