Serial Starters

Options

Replies

• Tilliesmommy1
    Tilliesmommy1 Posts: 5,333 Member
    Options
    Good evening,

Over on calories by a little. Bypassed the tins of cookies/ mini cheesecakes and cookies today. I need to remind myself I handle the holidays much better than I used to instead of beating myself up for having what treats I did......

Frozen Lasagna heating up. Ran out of energy at work today - like so many of my coworkers.

Found a pattern to knit a hot water bottle cozy - I have the yarn and needles, so why not save $$ (if the cozy keeps the water hotter longer, I dont have to refill my hot water bottle - and water is priceless here in CA ) and I am lazy if I dont have to get out of my comfortable spot as often......

Dog to Vet for her glands and I need some of her spray for allergies - send good dog thoughts that all goes well.

Will hang out with Lana and torture her with my lyrically challenged holiday carols, as if she isnt feeling sick enough!! Cboys special today is facial and hand/foot massage - stop by.
  • LanaCabana537
    LanaCabana537 Posts: 3,849 Member
    Options

Ladies - don't believe what Sara said--she sings like an angel. All the Cabana Boys love her for it!
    The foot massage on the beach was excellent~~

Sending good dog vibes for Tillie, although her appointment was today or is tomorrow?

Annie welcome back - glad to hear all went well on your trip.

Waves to anyone else who stops by.

Lana, who is taking a Lunesta soon and hitting the hay, hoping for more than the 4 hours sleep last night (no Lunesta and too much steroids in system - glad they are getting flushed out....)
  • arniedog74
    arniedog74 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Annie- welcome back. Glad you had a good visit.

Lana - good sleep vibes sent your way...

Sara - good dog thoughts for Miss Tillie

Still not making best food choices... nor drink... keep telling myself, New Year New Start... we'll see if I stick to that... or even begin for that matter...

So, once again, more upsetting news came my way... this time, even more heartbreaking than the last.. Gpa had an appointment with Neurologist a couple days ago... frequent, unexplained falling, dizziness they could find no explanation for, memory loss... he was misdiagnosed with Parkinson's and Dementia...the reason I say misdiagnosed, is he now correctly diagnosed with Progressive Supraneuclear Palsy... which, is commonly misdiagnosed as the prior diseases.. it is an incredibly rare, dibilitating disease. Similar to Parkinson's, which is why it's misdiagnosed as such, but no tremors. Reading up on this disease, I can only hope he doesn't get to the point of suffering... they have, thankfully, decided to bring in home health care... which, in a way makes me nervous, trusting him in someone else's care...Gma will be there...I know it's going to be hard for her to allow some stranger to come into her home and care for her husband. This disease is not going to be easy on anyone, and they will have no choice but to let someone help, like it or not. This was so unexpected, such a hard hit...I don't want to lose him, but I truly hope he does not suffer... truly

Sorry for another sob story... seems it always happens all at once...
  • LanaCabana537
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Dawn

So sorry to hear about your grandfather

As for us here, never apologize for posting about it. It is much bigger than a sob story, and we will want to know how things are going.

I will likely pipe up with some questions and suggestions for you to be doing and asking to help your grandparents cope with this, especially if none of their children are able to do so for whatever reason.

PSP seems to me to be a disease that may need death with dignity, and I don't know whether your grandparents would want to move to one of the states that has that humane law on the books.

It is never too early to meet with the hospice organization in your area to talk about preparing for palliative care and end-of-life. Hospice care isn't just for the last six months of someone's life. People can go onto and off of hospice for years.

You take care of yourself as best you can during all of this. Keep your kitchen filled with good things, and when you want the bad things have one serving of them out of the house! I often toot this horn, but understand it is coming from the woman who picked up an entire package of sliced banana nut bread and took it back to her lair this evening!

Hugs
    Lana
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    SATURDAY

Good morning,

Tillie can go to Vet either day - I have to call first. Lana it is not the quality of my singing that is the issue it is hearing the same 3 lines 20 times that can be annoying.

Dawn - I second Lana's post - I used to work with the dying. There is a huge amount of emotional change - the staff of hospice and home healthcare are employees of the medical group you are using. If your Gma was to take this on alone - it would just be too much - a number of people come by - see about having a "guest book" for all people to sign in as they visit - medical staff and family - to help keep things straight. When someone dies they ask about elder abuse (it is their job to do so) and a document of who has been there might help.

I am back to bed - so I may think of more things later.
  • LanaCabana537
    Options

Sara and Dawn - "Guest book" is brilliant idea.

Lana
  • LanaCabana537
    Options

Saturday......New Year's Eve in midtown Manhattan. OMG.

Yesterday evening it was already getting awful out there. Tons of people in town for this silly tradition.
    The police are trying to set up all the barriers. A mess it was.

....I was coming home from yesterday's MSK follow up appointment, stopped at the store, and got home and promptly cancelled the special New Year's Eve meditation thing I was going to go to tonight down in Chelsea.
    No way will I have the strength to handle the crowding on my street, let alone get south and then back north 30 blocks safely so late at night.

I'm heading out for milk and orange juice soon, and then coming home to hide here until noon January 1.

BBL - Have to think of a new tune to hum near Sara while she's snoozing.....

Hat and beach bag on favorite lounge chair for later......

Cabana Boys will be serving champagne and cocktails and zero calorie decadent snacks along with healthy things. Of course there will be foot massages and special pillow fluffing. Fireworks on the beach at midnight!

Lana

Today's weight: 233.0 (not weigh in day)
    245.6 Highest ever
    208.6 Serial Starters lowest weight
    175.0 Goal
  • arniedog74
    Options
    Lana and Sara- Thank you so much for your kind words and thoughtfulness. This is something very new to me. I have dealt with illness a lot, as my Dad was in and out of the hospital often when I was young... kidney disease.. there was never a need for home health or hospice as his parents cared for him, while mom worked and cared for me...I welcome all questions, thoughts and suggestions. I am going to be at a loss on this...

I believe we are going to do family photos, soon. As much as I hate it, we need to do it. I am also going to try to go home as much as possible. It will be difficult, financially and physically... but, I believe it is going to get to the point of him not knowing who anyone is, so I want to be there while he still does...

Lana- Banana bread sounds mighty yummy..I am getting ready to eat a not so yummy Sonic burger... for lack of anything better to choose from..

Tomorrow is a new Year... gonna start it off better...

BBL
    - Dawn
  • Tilliesmommy1
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Back from errands- Dog to Vet at 12:00 - chicken chili in crockpot.

Dawn - I was not thinking in full gear - add this to hospice. Police get involved when an elderly person passes and they do have to rule out elder abuse .... guest book also helps keeps Gma keep her world together.

Hospice is usually a 30 to 60 to 90 day span, I do medical billing and come across medicare patients with hospice, it can be used as "comfort in their last days" but it is also used for intense medical intervention done at home and the patient may/may not pass away. I saw you just posted....

oops be careful, states may allow humane end of life, but not all medical groups do for religious reasons - so worth it to find out if there are any limitations now with Gpas health insurance...... for example the company I work for acknowledges the law but employees would get fired for obeying the law but breaking company policy......

Get in the picture - you might regret not doing so later.
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    Lana - no apologies - New Year's nuts are not worth it. I stay inside because neighbors start shooting their guns. It is just safer to stay inside. Get your comfort foods and stuff and hunker down - watch a good dvd.

Dog gets to see one of her favorite vet techs today-- which makes my day good as well.

Will stop by before complete craziness sets in in NYC. Just not the same without Dick Clark, but then our parents/ grandparents said the same about Guy Lombardo .....
  • Tilliesmommy1
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Vet visit was a success and even if it is $30 every 2 weeks - better than $200.00 plus if she has to have surgery.....and a lot more hassle for her.

Dawn - Elizabeth Kubler Ross writes well on dealing with the levels of grief. Think Library save yourself some money...

Hot water boiling for water bottle and tea. Nap in near future.

70's disco at Cboys for New Years?? I am also hearing a lot of George Michael on radio......

In sun under Lana's Palm Tree knitting little baby hats to donate......

• Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    Good evening,

Later than usual dinner - waiting for crock pot. Hot chocolate afterwards.

Missy - great job!!

Find me with Lana and the Cboys bringing in the New Year.
  • LanaCabana537
    Options

Missy - Nice big happy post there! Good for you on getting that exercise in!

Lana
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    NYC ball has not dropped, but time for me to snuggle up with Miss Tillie.

Sending hugs out tonight - it has been a hard year - hoping comfort and clarity find us in the New Year.

Wishing all a good night.
  • arniedog74
    Options
    Thank you so much for good thoughts and kind words.

I do not know much about Grandparents insurance. I believe they have Medicare... Gpa is retired from Post Office...25 yrs or so.. don't know exactly what that entitles him to. I love the idea of a guest book. I believe that would be a great thing for both Gma and Gpa...

Nothing set yet, but hoping to make trip in Feb for his 87th birthday... spoke with Aunt about possibly doing family photos, then... gives me a short term goal to work on, if I can get focused...

Lana - NYC has always looked so fun on TV...I know, without a doubt, I'd panic...I'm just as happy at home...

Sara - curled up with pups, myself...I am A OK with that...

Not sure if I will make it back... Happy New Year to all! Be safe and have a great night!

Hugs
    - Dawn
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    New Year's "noise" woke me up. Dog is my shadow.

Dawn - Post office employees tend to have good insurance benefits from what I have seen.... Whatever insurance he has, there is a member services phone # on the back of the insurance card(s) and they can answer hospice/end of life question benefits/coverage questions.

NYC in that crowd would make me claustrophobic, but it looks fun on the TV which I guess is the point.....

Will go back and curl up with dog and see about sleep.

BBL in a couple of hours !! :o
  • LanaCabana537
    edited January 2017
    Options
    iw77criqcl16.jpeg

Looking forward to all of us getting better at taking good care of ourselves.

Hugs
    Lana
  • LanaCabana537
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Well today IS weigh in day.

I gained roughly 25 pounds in 2016. It was half DH-stress and half BC.
    Without this group, this gain would have been worse - I know so.

This year I will get my strength back, get exercise, and be back on track.

Today's weight: 234.4 :open_mouth:
    245.6 Highest ever
    208.6 Serial Starters lowest weight Jan. 1, 2016 :open_mouth:
    175.0 Goal
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    Good morning,

Noise did not stop until 2 - but dog needs her out and meds/food so back to sleep soon.

Another Christmas present - dog at Vet is 9 pounds!! so she has lost a pound -

Lost 9 pounds this year and gained a lot of it back during the holiday - weigh in is tomorrow.

Lana = why are you up so early?? Did you ever get to sleep?

Groceries this morning and then more knitting/ snuggle up with dog.

Will stop by later.
  • Tilliesmommy1
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Cell phone is gone. Store opens at 11 - glad I dont buy an expensive one. Tis the season sadly. I will just get another one and let the bad karma stick on the person who took it. They could have taken my wallet as well, so I am considering myself lucky.

Dawn - I know people whose whole lives are on their phones..... I just use mine for emergencies, so I am very lucky I have very little info on it. I considered not replacing it, but the reason is still the same, just in case for emergencies.