NON WW & WW NEWBIES, OUR NEW LIFE, THE START OF SOMETHING WONDERFUL

Options

Replies

• TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    Options
    Good morning! :)

@theslightedgeforever, you are right that there is a pattern to me eating too much sodium and it is showing up a couple of days later on the scale. I could change my WW meeting time but it’s not convenient for me to do so with my current schedule. Is WW really helping me is the question and from what I’m learning lately I would say no. Their recommended eating program could be the very reason I haven’t been losing. It is the scale accountability that I like the most and I’m starting to wonder if I really need that. Gaining on a Tuesday because I overindulged on a Sunday is getting old. Hubby and I are talking a lot about it and he thinks that I should go slow on my new lifestyle until I’m sure of what direction I plan to stick with.

@its_cleo, yes, the scale can be a double-edged sword for sure! I just read a great book where the woman talks about averaging your weight every week instead of just going by the daily or even the one day a week number. I use the app Happy Scale and it averages so I’m going to pay attention to that and stop beating myself up so much. I gotta tell you that the poutine looks delicious!! I’ve never had it but I would be willing to travel for a taste. :D

@prisoner2food, Wow so sorry you have been so sick! I had pneumonia a few years ago and spent 6 days in ICU so please be careful and take care of yourself. <3

@trooworld, walking a St. Patrick’s Day 5K sounds like a lot of fun! I sure hope you don’t regret it with your foot! :#

@gemwolf, that is great that you and your sister are going to buddy up and help support each other. Having a good support system is so important to our success. :)

@Trishastime, I’m sorry you have been sick. Seems to going around with a lot of people I know. As I wrote to @theslightedgeforever I am seriously thinking about my reasons for being a WW member. I wanted it to work for me and be a real lifestyle but I’m starting to think that it’s not the lifestyle that will work for me and I’m also thinking about what I can do with the money!! B)

This has been such a busy couple of weeks at work! We decided to do an Easter campaign that involved creating and ordering postcards, invite cards, banners and other items. Then we decided to redo our church brochure and order T-shirts for all our volunteers. One guess who got to take lead on all that fun stuff. o:) Then our website went down and is still giving me grie,f. On top of that I’m giving a baby shower on April 6th and still haven’t really planned anything or handed out the invitations. Ugghhh!!

On top of all my work stuff, I am obsessed with reading all I can on intermittent fasting. I’m on day 24 and so far, I’m loving it! I’ve been doing fasting for 19 hours for the last four days and the scale has been moving downward. I break my fast with a snack and eat a great dinner. This morning I read a fascinating article from Dr. Jason Fung about how insulin is the key factor to obesity and that the more the body produces insulin the bigger we get. Two things cause the greatest rise in insulin and that is simple carbs and protein. I knew and understood the carb thing but it’s the protein that really surprised me. WW teaches us to eat lot of protein and I did just that. Eggs in the morning, protein bars and Greek yogurt for lunch, more meat at dinner. Protein drinks for snacks. Then there was the all-day long supply of artificial sugars I kept putting in my body. I really didn’t think I could give up putting Truvia in my coffee and tea but I have and it’s was amazingly easy. Anyway, I feel really hopeful and excited, but I’m also being careful to educate myself.

OK, I’m off to workout and then tackle this huge to-do list I have for the day! :)

• its_cleo
    its_cleo Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    @TeresaW1020 that's great you're doing so well on the fast! Interesting on the protein too. I eat a lot of protein. To be honest, though, I find there are so many conflicting articles out there about what to eat. I never know what to believe. Good luck with your to do list!

@trooworld I'm not comfortable swimming either. The only time I do it is if I'm on vacation somewhere and there is a beach. I decided to just wear shorts and a tshirt. One advantage of that is it prevents sunburn too. But I wouldn't like it in a pool either.

@theslightedgeforever we all tale a break sometime. That's great you can go back and see notes and things to help get back on track.

@gemwolf110 good luck with the wedding dress. That's such a shame that you're having trouble selling it.

@TrishasTime hope you're feeling better!

Well I saw Captain Marvel and I enjoyed it, but it was not my favourite Marvel movie or anything like that. I found it a little low key and it isn't as funny as some of them, but I enjoyed it. I thought Brie Larson did a very good job.

There was good news and bad news on the food front. On the restaurant I had a burger that put me way over calories, but I didn;t have french fries, and I didn't have popcorn at the movie. Before I went I read about the calories on movie popcorn and couldn't get it out of my head.

So I am over calories this week- I feel like I am most weeks! But by less than I could have been.

Have a good weekend all.
  • TrishasTime
    TrishasTime Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone - short and sweet as I am writing this with my non dominant hand. Had a bad fall yesterday. Broke my left ankle bone and 2 bones in my right arm. The bone that runs along the thumb and the bones that run from elbow to wrist. Currently in hospital awaiting surgery.

Catchup in a few days

• TeresaW1020
    Options
    Hi everyone - short and sweet as I am writing this with my non dominant hand. Had a bad fall yesterday. Broke my left ankle bone and 2 bones in my right arm. The bone that runs along the thumb and the bones that run from elbow to wrist. Currently in hospital awaiting surgery.

Catchup in a few days

Ohhhh no you poor thing!! That is awful. I will be praying for you that surgery goes smoothly and that you will heal quickly. Also that you get some good pain meds. Take care sweet girl!! ❤️

• theslightedgeforever
    theslightedgeforever Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    @trooworld How was the 5K? How is your foot?

@TeresaW1020 so now the question is why do you overindulge on Sunday? I eat more calories on Thursdays and Saturdays than the rest of the week. It’s planned that way. So if yours is planned then I wouldn’t call it overindulge as that has a negative vibe to it. Now if you are overeating for other reasons those need to be explored. It’s great that you might have found your plan. Keep reading.

@its_cleo I agree. So many conflicting articles out there. Which one is supposedly the expert? The protein thing surprised me only because from what I’ve seen the quickest way to cut belly fat is to eat lower carbs more protein. So the people get physically smaller quick but of course most can’t maintain that lifestyle for life. I’m not a big protein lover anyway so I don’t worry about. So yay for you for no popcorn at the movie and no French fries. 2 Small wins. Today’s journal lesson for me was record 5 small wins each day. Small wins are the little things we do to help us move closer to our goal.

@TrishasTime OMG you can’t catch a break. Well I guess break was a poor choice of words 😏 Did you fall off a horse? Hopefully surgery went well. Thinking of you

So back on plan. I stayed within my food boundaries. Did an hour of walking. Water goal met. Journal done. Big sticker day.
  • trooworld
    trooworld Posts: 5,885 Member
    Options
    @TeresaW1020 The 5K was fun, my foot hurt afterward and still hurts today, but I do not regret it! I'm so glad you are finding something you are happy with (IF). So if protein and carbs cause a rise in insulin, what are you supposed to eat?

@its_cleo That is a definite advantage when swimming outside. Thanks for the feedback on Captain Marvel. I am going to see it, but not until it comes out on Netflix. Great job not having movie popcorn or fries!

@TrishasTime OH dear! I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope the surgery goes well. Thank you for stopping by and telling us. I would have worried about where you were.

@theslightedgeforever The 5K was great. The weather was perfect: the sun shined the whole time, it was in the 60s-70s (Fahrenheit) and it was enjoyable. My foot started hurting about halfway through but I hung in there until the end. After the 5K I had to drive 35 minutes home and boy did my foot (specifically, my heel) hurt. I didn't know if I'd make it home. When I got home, I laid down. Woke up and put ice on it. So painful.

Hello all. I went to my brother-in-law's birthday party and we got Panda Express (I don't know if they have Panda Express everywhere, but it is Americanized fast food Chinese food). Instead of chow mein or rice with my entrees, I got their "power greens" which is a combination of steamed broccoli, cabbage, and kale. For my sides, I got orange chicken and chicken with green beans. I'm happy with these decisions. I had a small piece of the ice cream cake my husband made for the occasion.

EMPOWERED.
  • theslightedgeforever
    Options
    @trooworld. Good for you for finishing the 5K. I hope the foot gets better in a hurry. Great choices you made at Panda Express.

@gemwolf110 Tell is one good choice or a small win you made today.

Stayed within food boundaries. Took a free day for exercise. Did not get my water goal. Journal done.
  • TeresaW1020
    Options
    Good morning!

@trooworld, Good job on finishing the 5K but sorry that you are in pain. Is it better today? I haven't done a 5K before, other than on the treadmill and I would love to give it a try. I do eat protein and carbs! I'm just not eating them all day long. ;) Type 2 diabetes runs heavily in my family and I'm sure that I'm insulin resistant considering how hard it is for me to lose weight, even when I'm being good! So, if this new eating lifestyle can change the odds of me having diabetes, it's worth a try. Great choices on Panda Express!! That place is so good and tempting. I like knowing they have "power greens" :)

@theslightedgeforever, You are right that I shouldn't call it overindulging. I should say that it's a planned indulgence and I need to own the consequences and not beat myself up if the scale goes up. Sunday's are not a problem for me unless there is a church event and there ALWAYS seems to be a church event!! :D

@TrishasTime, thinking about you and praying that you are doing OK! <3

I'm so happy that the weather is going to be sunny and warm all week long!! So sick of the rain!!! :s I took yesterday off from exercising and hubby and I went shopping for the baby shower I'm giving in a few weeks. My favorite store to buy for babies is TJ Maxx. Soooo many adorable things!! One of my favorite things to do when buying a present for someone is to find a beautiful box to use instead of gift paper or a bag. The box can then be part of the gift. This one is pink, sparkly and has ballerinas on it. This mama already has three little boys so she is going to LOVE it!!

I got another super busy work week ahead so I better get to it. B)
  • trooworld
    Options
    @theslightedgeforever Thanks!

@TeresaW1020 It is better today but whenever I stand on it for any period of time, it hurts again. Yes, diabetes would be terrible to have! I do love Panda Express and the power greens make it even easier to make healthier choices there. A beautiful box is a great idea, I never thought of that!

Hi all. Yesterday, the weather was so nice, I went and sat out on the patio with my Kindle and read for like an hour while my husband meal prepped. It was wonderful! This whole week is supposed to be good weather.

EMPOWERED.
  • its_cleo
    its_cleo Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Hey all. I'm good but a sudden urgent project came up at work so I am both stressed and annoyed. I have a colleague who does nothing, and he could have done it but nooooo they come to me. So I will survive but today and tomorrow will be stressful. I feel pretty wired tonight.

@trooworld sounds like you did great on the walk and with the Chinese food. For your foot- can you see a doctor or something? It sounds really painful and also it's been bothering you for a while.

Carbs/protein raising insulin- as that the same as foods that are high in the glycemic index? Because some carbs etc are very low, some are high you have to pick and choose. Like beans vs. white bread is not the same impact. My brother was diagnosed with diabetes last year so I was looking into it.

@TeresaW1020 baby shower sounds cool. Does the mom know it will be a girl? You may have said that and I missed it.

I have to go try to chill out so I can sleep tonight lol.

Oh on the good side - went for a run today and my outdoor stairs are also starting to emerge from ice, so yesterday I did 3 rounds, 100 steps each time. My calves were very sore lol. I run very slow like a turtle but I tell you I feel like Usain Bolt inside. It's a good thing I've never seen video of myself.
  • theslightedgeforever
    edited March 2019
    Options
    @TeresaW1020 Just keep working and tweaking your plan. You’ll figure it out. I’m encouraged that my glucose numbers are dropping. I’m hoping to be out of the prediabetes range one day.

@trooworld I can smell spring in the air. It’s so much fun when the weather becomes nicer. Did you make good food choices today?

@its_cleo. Diabetes can be very complicated. It’s such a personal disease. Everyone has to figure out their triggers. I can’t feed my mil oranges. Shoots her bs straight up. Oranges, who would have thought. For my mom it was carrots. I’m trying to add more fiber into my diet via beans as I know it helps with the blood sugar. Sorry about your brother. Another interesting thing for my mom was her diuretic was raising her blood sugar. It’s that time of the year again where I go get tested. Fingers crossed I get another good reading. Woohoo on the stairs. Isn’t springtime fun. We all wake up and want to move more. Note to self:go look up Usain Bolt

I stayed within my food boundary. I made a nice side dish of sautéed red and yellow peppers, green beans, and white beans with some garlic and Italian seasoning. I’ll be having that for lunch tomorrow. I walked 51 min. Water goal met. Journal done Big sticker day. I’m having guests for dinner tomorrow so I must eat light during the day. That’s the plan.
  • trooworld
    Options
    @its_cleo Oh that's a bummer about the work project! But that says good things about you that they came to you. About my foot: I've seen a doctor in the past when I've had plantar fasciitis and all they say is lose weight, or if gets really bad, they can give me a shot of something, or physical therapy. But I'm not at that point yet, I'm only at the point of "lose weight". :( It will go away on its own, it just takes time...a long time. Congrats on the run!

@theslightedgeforever Yes, I did, I made planned food choices. It sounds like you have a good plan for your day and then the guests. I hope you have fun.

EMPOWERED.
  • cbabie
    cbabie Posts: 1,563 Member
    Options
    Morning all...I have missed so much...I have still not eaten sweets, but still working on balance. I have been crazy with personal....

@TrishasTime so sorry to hear you fell. I hope surgery went well end you are on the road to complete healing!

@TeresaW1020 my sister is right we are much alike...LOL I hate diabetes....and am trying to figure out eating plan too that will keep me from it...

@trooworld we have Panda Express here too...love them. LOL. Luckily we don’t eat out much... congrats on the 5K..

@its_cleo I think there is a coworker like yours in every work place and I am sorry that yours is near you! The good thing is you are making good choices, you know your plan...stick with it.

@theslightedgeforever I never remember which type diabetes runs in our family...LOL. Either one I don’t want, lol. Good job on getting back on track

Gotta run
    Cbabie
  • TeresaW1020
    Options
    @trooworld, glad to hear that your foot is a bit better. Keep babying it! We are having nice weather too and it's wonderful. It's a little cool because of the wind but so much better than the rain. Of course, we are entering pollen season so the whole state is now being drenched in yellow. So gross! :s

@its_cleo, yes the mom knows she is having a little girl and she is so excited! Her name is going to be Everleigh. Isn't that precious? :) Today, I walked through the toy department of Walmart and sent her a pic of the baby doll aisle and told her that girl toys were so much more fun than boy toys. :D Good job on being able to get out and run and I envy you being able to do stairs. I'm really hoping that once I lose more weight my knees will allow me to go back to incline walking and stairclimbing. I could be going up and down stairs at work during the day if only it didn't cause pain. :/

@theslightedgeforever, glad to hear that your glucose numbers are dropping! I have no idea what my number is but I do know that I don't want to have a problem, like many in my family have.

@cbabie, glad you to make it on to at least say hi! <3 Good job on staying away from sugar. You will figure out your plan, you just gotta keep tweaking and being open to changes.

Well, my good news for today is that I lost 3.4 lbs this week!! Y'all know I lose at a snail's pace so this has me super excited. On top of that, I made my 50 lb mark exactly and got my charm!! B) I didn't tell my meeting that I attributed this amazing week to IF but told them that I've been working really hard and that I'm not afraid to try different things and that I don't give up. Even though it's taken just over two years to lose 50 lbs. :p

I just got in Dr. Jason's Fung book called The Obesity Code and so far I find it fascinating. He is a kidney doctor and talks about how diabetes is the leading cause of kidney disease. My mother has both, so I'm paying extra attention so I can hopefully educate her when I go to Florida in May.

His book suggested these videos about diabetes that I haven't watched yet but have bookmarked. If you are interested you can watch them too and maybe we can discuss. I am totally new to what he has to say and in no way want to be led down the wrong road but I sure find what he has to say something to think about.

https://dietdoctor.com/2-big-lies-type-2-diabetes-2

https://dietdoctor.com/how-to-reverse-diabetes-type-2-video-course

• TrishasTime
    Options
    hi everyone

back home now - surgery went well. finding it very difficult to do anything without my dominant hand. typing with my left is so slow.

I will be scarce on hear and probably just to let you know I am alive.

but for you entertainment (do no look if squeamish)

5r0a2qkgzvug.jpg

after having my arm pulled as the bones in my arm crossed over. They considered my broken ankle secondary to my splintered wrist bone

0df3xru1vvto.jpg

trying to find a vein to put the cannulas in but even the veins hid and they had to find it by using a scan machine

dyhra5rv7dz4.jpg

the day after surgery

br9ao41k3ywj.jpg

2 days after surgery - getting a new cast on

take care everyone

• theslightedgeforever
    Options
    @trooworld. So you’re in a catch 22 situation. You need to lose weight to fix your foot problem but can’t lose weight consistently because you can’t exercise properly because of your foot. So what’s the solution? Have you tried YouTube video therapy exercises to help with the condition.

@cbabie. The kind of diabetes you get because you eat too many sweet/heavy loaded carbs and don’t move your body enough. Type 2. Good for you on sticking with no sweets.

@TeresaW1020 WHOOSH! Aren’t those fun? Woohoo on the 50 lb mark. Two years is nothing. You want to know how long it’s taken me? I haven’t hit it yet. Still sitting around 40 from my highest. You’re doing great. It doesn’t matter how you get there as long as you get there. I’ll look into your books and videos. It’s always good to be educated. Studies keep changing all the time so hard to keep up. My grandfather had kidney disease.

@trishastime ouch double ouch. My body physically ached when I looked at those pics. Well hang in there. We are all rooting for a speedy recovery

I went over calories by 56 calories 😖 But food was good. I took a rest day for exercise but got in 17 min walking. Dinner party went well. I made some cauliflower mock potato salad that turned out really good. Not enough water Journal done No sticker.
  • trooworld
    Options
    @cbabie I figured it was most places in the US. I love it, it's cheap and you can make good choices! Congrats on being sugar-free!

@TeresaW1020 Thanks. It really helps when I take Naproxen and rest the foot. Oh, I bet all that pollen stinks for people with allergies! I know it is getting bad here for allergy sufferers. CONGRATULATIONS on the 3.4 lbs, but more importantly, the 50 POUNDS DOWN!!! What you are doing is working for you!!! I've actually watched some of Dr Fung's videos when I was considering IF, I don't think I watched these though but maybe. I'll have a look when I have time.

@TrishasTime Oh dear me, Trish! Dear YOU! I'm so sorry you are going through this. Do check in when you can! ((( HUGS )))

@theslightedgeforever You said something incorrect, at least for me: "but can’t lose weight consistently because you can’t exercise properly because of your foot". Weight loss is 80% about what you put in your mouth. That has always been my biggest problem, not exercise. I need to get the food piece under control before any exercise is going to do some good anyway. The onus is on me. I have tried:
    • icing it
    • stretches recommended by medical sites
    • Naproxen
    • resting it
    • acupuncture
    As you can see, I am trying everything aside from voodoo to heal my foot. I need to try that cream that Trisha recommended but I forgot the name of, and Trish, I was too embarrassed to admit I forgot the name and didn't get it yet...what's the name again?

EMPOWERED.
  • TrishasTime
    Options
    we call I voltaren here in aus - look it up and then get the equivalent in us :) sorry typing hurts
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I have read some of your posts (the title caught my eye because I have done WW numerous times, starting way back when you were required to eat fish & liver weekly! Probably about 1975, lol. And quite a few times since then..did actually make Lifetime at one point, but stopped & gained it back.) Anyway, I wanted to ask @trooworld if she has tried orthotics? I had plantar fasciitis & heel spurs & got some sneakers with a very good arch support & wore them from the time I got up until I went to bed. Took awhile, but the pain finally went away. Wish I could remember what kind they were, lol.
  • theslightedgeforever
    Options
    @trooworld I’m a big believer in calories in/calories out theory. The more food we eat the more movement we need to do to counteract the calories ingested; otherwise we just end up staying around the same weight or gaining weight depending how many calories were eaten. We are all trying to get healthier by losing weight. So since your biggest problem is the food, I was thinking of a long term solution to more movement. So since that doesn’t seem feasible for you, what solutions do you have for the food? Small steps.

@gemwolf110 I like your word for the year.

@TrishasTime Have you tried audio texting from your phone? Sometimes I do it and only have to go back and change a word or two. That might help.

@RetiredAndLovingIt. Welcome to the group I remember when my mom did Weight Watchers back when she had to eat the fish and the liver because I remember the liver. Lol. Now I love liver. She just didn’t know how to fix it.

I went over calories. I exercised for 60 minutes. water goal met. journal done little sticker day