NON WW & WW NEWBIES, OUR NEW LIFE, THE START OF SOMETHING WONDERFUL

Options

Replies

• its_cleo
    its_cleo Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    @smith yeah one day at a time as they say. How did you come up with the number 1200? One thing that's important is not to over or underestimate the calories we need. Sometimes people aim too high, sometimes people aim too low. It can be hard not find the sweet spot, that is manageable and healthy. I eat around 1500-1700. I think MFP calculates my base at 1350, which is slightly low. Without exercise I should be at about 1450 base.

@Feisty_Cheese a lot of us tried WW and then tried something different for various reasons. I think different things can work with consistency. I like MFP bc of its precision.

@trooworld yeah I'm supposed to use the lacrosse ball on my thighs, like lie on it. It's crazy painful, but it does help. I only do it though when I'm agony from sitting too much lol. It's like which pain is worse? Man sore throat sucks. My dad always told me gargle with warm salt water. It can help. Or just lozenges. Take care, I hope it passes soon.

@theslightedgeforever lol senioritis. I get it. Good luck with the finish line! I hope you;re not getting the flu!

@TrishasTime glad the ortho went well. Can you get some help with your hair? I'm so sorry about your GD. Take gentle care, and don't be too hard on yourself about food. It is a tough time. My thoughts are with you and your family.

I was in the office today and then with my trainer. I ate over calories by about 50. I couldnt help it- I had good meals and snacks, but I was just too hungry in the afternoon. At the gym I did deadlifts and lunges.

Tomorrow I am in the office too. Normally I wouldn't exercise on Wed, but I joined this 30 day challenge at my gym. So depending on how I feel I will do some stairs and then go to the gym and do 30 mins on the treadmill. (The gym is a block away from the stairs).

I'm trying to finish a project before I have a week off. I feel a bit burnt out. I have this week and next week to bang it out.
  • TrishasTime
    TrishasTime Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone

Well my GD (Grandad) passed over peacefully yesterday – less than 24 hours after his major stroke. It is a 5 hour plane journey from Perth to Sydney Aus, so all of us still in Perth were kept updated by phone. My Grandad was 98 when he died and he had been married for 81 years. That leaves my Nanna (who has full blown dementia), so will not know he has gone. There are 5 generations in my family alive (rare in Aus). My nanna, my mum, me, my children and my grandchildren). I was not close to my GD but I am close to my Nanna.

@theslightedgeforever – Thankyou – he lived an independent life right up to the end. Why did you do some comfort eating – what’s happened?? I am having the Matcha Smoothie that was on MFP every 2nd or 3rd day, it is very filling and has protein. https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/matcha-smoothie/ I also add baby spinach leaves as well.

@smith1420ABC987NAN – How are you going? Yes being retired is a huge change of life, my husband retired in September last year. I am doing this because I want to me independent and as healthy as I can when I retire. I know it is hard to want it – but if you think of why you might want it, then you have something to go for. I have added a link of the 100 days that you see @theslightedgeforever and I talk about. This is book you can download This book simply challenges you to think about things in a different way. PPS – I too am at 1200 calories – this was recommended by MFP, most days, I eat right up to the limit and am satisfied. Happy to help.
    https://www.weightlossjoy.com/books-linda-spangle/100-days-challenge/

@fiesty_cheese – We are all doing something here :0. I stopped logging in WW and cancelled the membership a few weeks ago – I find this group far more supportive. As an someone who got to LTM and then too got complacent, I hear where you are coming from.

@its_cleo – See my comment above, I did my on MFP . I think age and weight to lose come into it. Funny when I redid the diet/fitness profile due to my current situation. I am going to a hairdresser every 3 days who just washes my hair for me. I did not think when I did it .

@gemwolf110 – Woohoo big day for you.

Day 20
  • theslightedgeforever
    theslightedgeforever Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    @trooworld I see you’re sick too. All I’ve done is comfort eat today but at least I held it to the minimum and didn’t go overboard.

@Feisty_Cheese I like your profile pic. Your response made perfect sense. My eating plan is the slow boat to China plan compared to others but it’s working for me. I have lots of friends that keep pushing keto on me and I’m like No I’m good. I know myself. I’ve been doing this a LONG time. But just figuring out what works best for me.

@smith1420ABC987NAN Yesterday I got part of your username wrong from memory. Forgot the 987. Lol. Is 1200 cals too low for you? I don’t know your weight nor exercise program. I don’t think I could ever eat at 1200. But you get another day to try again. That’s the beauty of this journey.

@its_cleo. 50 cals over isn’t bad. Maybe you needed a bit more because of the extra exercise you are doing. Was it all nutritious food? Anything you could tweak next time?

@gemwolf110 🙋🏻‍♀️ I Love spring. Walking outdoor and looking at all the flowers. Nice Fitbit stats.

@TrishasTime So sorry to hear about your granddad. Wow 81 years. That’s so impressive. At least your Nanna will have an easier time. I caught my husband’s nasty cold. Thus the comfort eating.

So I stayed within food boundaries. Did 10 min of walking. Water goal not met but journal done. Little sticker day. Hopefully I’ll be better tomorrow. I’m supposed to go to a friends house for breakfast. One of our friends that moved away is in town for a short time. So I’d like to see her. it’s a planned rest day for exercise. I’ll just stock up on meds
  • trooworld
    trooworld Posts: 5,912 Member
    Options
    @its_cleo that does sound painful (rolling it on your thighs). I might be prejudging things, but that ball may be helping! My throat is feeling better, it is still a little sore but I think I'm going to work today. Don't beat yourself up about the 50 extra calories, it sounds like you earned them.

@gemwolf110 I'm loving spring! Sitting on the patio with a book, taking the dog and the hubby for a walk, it's all good!

@TrishasTime I'm sorry that I didn't realize it was your granddad. I'm sorry for your loss.

@theslightedgeforever Yes, I've been sick since Sunday afternoon but am feeling well enough to make an attempt to go to work today. I haven't really been eating too much comfort food, just a little ice cream, mostly been eating homemade soups, which I find comforting. I hope you feel better soon.

Hello all. Well my throat is less sore and I have more energy (for now) so I'm going to attempt to go to work. I hope I make it the whole day lol.

EMPOWERED.
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    Options
    Good morning!! :)

@trooworld, glad to read that you are starting to feel better and able to go into work. Be careful that you don't have a relapse from doing too much! <3

@smith1420ABC987NAN, I agree that just doing Keto would get real old if I couldn’t have carbs in my life! And yes we have to find a plan that will work for us for our lifestyle. :)

@its_cleo, I love shopping for things for my house. We did a complete remodel and got rid of everything we owned when we first got our home so now it’s done and I miss going on the hunt for that perfect thing. Good luck on your hunt for the perfect throw!! I totally understand about burnt out with work projects. Do you have any fun plans for your week off? :)

@TrishasTime, sounds like the doctor’s appointment was a huge success and now you can get most of your life back. But I am so very sorry to hear about your grandad’s passing but 98 years old is a very long life! You know that emotional eating won’t help but you do need to be good to yourself and in ways that will be healing to your sadness and pain. (((hugs)))

@theslightedgeforever, Ohhh no you are sick too!! I’m sure glad we are all virtual friends because I don’t want to get sick! :#

@gemwolf110, I LOVE spring and I really wish it would fully arrive here in Georgia. It’s been unusually cold and rainy for what seems like forever. And pollen is so thick you don’t want to go outside even if is nice. Hopefully, we will get a least a week or two of perfect weather before the heat sets in. Where do you live? :)

@cbabie, hey girl!! Hope you are well and that your stress is easing up and that you're being good to yourself. <3

So, I lost another .8 lbs this week. That seems to be my magic number! :D You all know that I was sorta on the fence about if I should continue with WW now that I'm all about the intermittent lifestyle. But yesterday I had something really amazing happen to me. First, when I was in line one of the women who I think is so beautiful and maybe has 10 lbs she needs to lose came up and called me an inspiration. Me!! We talked for a few minutes about food choices and how hard losing weight is and that it's a lifetime process that doesn't ever end just because we will eventually reach our goal weights. Then I went to sit down and there was a card in my seat from a sweet woman who is a Lifetime member. She also said I was an inspiration and that she loves coming and hearing the stuff I have to say. Wow!! I was truly humbled by all this and I'm taking it as a sign that I'm not supposed to leave WW right now. I need them and maybe they need me too. :) Plus, if I hurry it up and reach my goal then WW will be free and I do love me some free! :wink:

OK, today I have to finish cleaning my house and getting ready for the baby shower on Saturday. I'm getting excited!! :)
  • its_cleo
    Options
    @TeresaW1020 I'm jealous I wish I could do a remodel. Although I am slowly getting there. I just try to do one thing at a time. My vacation- nothing fun planned. I went on two trips last year- one to Costa Rica and one to Tanzania, so this year I think I'm going to relax and save some money. So on my vacation I will just chill out and do some shopping. I'm not a big shopper, but if I have time I can enjoy it. So I will maybe buy a few things for me, my home. Not sure what else. I hope to get some hikes in with my hiking club now the weather is getting better.

Congrats on the .8lbs and big congrats on being such an inspiration to other people! That is incredible. But it shows how hard you work, and people see it, and it's amazing the impact we can have on others.

@trooworld good luck beating the cold! Hopefully last one for the season.

@theslightedgeforever I hope you have a good breakfast with your friend.

@TrishasTime so sorry for your loss. Married 81 years- wow that is incredible. What an incredible journey. A colleague of mine lost her cousin on the weekend, so I know it can be a difficult time. Take care.

@gemwolf110 I'm very glad winter is over, and starting to go out more. Was going to do my stair circuit today outside but I was too pooped.

Today- cals over by quite a bit. So when I am in the office it is a longer day for me, and I burn more energy, and I am hungrier. So that is one thing. And also- sometimes I plan calories based on the amt of exercise I think I will do, and then I fall short on the exercise, so then I end up over.

Those two things happen alot. But today I admit I went over from lunch out and then I got an ice cream. I just feel super tired- maybe it is PMS.

Ex- I was going to do stairs x5 and then treadmill for half an hour- just walk on the treadmill. But my legs were sore from the gym yesterday and I was tired so I only made it to a slow walk on the treadmill. But I was glad at least I did that.

Well tomorrow's another day and instead of a tub of ice cream- which I really want lol- I got just a single.
  • TrishasTime
    Options
    GM everyone

@theslightedgeforever – How are you feeling now? Are you getting any better? Have you managed to stop comfort eating?

@trooworld – How did you go at work? Did you manage the whole day? Did hubby make your homemade soups for you?

@TeresaW2010 – Congratulation on your loss. What a lovely thing to be told you are an inspiration and not by just one person 😊. I think we often do not give ourselves credit for how much we contribute

@its_cleo – I find if I am home, rather than at work, I tend to shop more (online of course) as I absolutely am he the complete opposite to TeresaW – I HATE shopping where there are other people.. Good that you are giving yourlegs a break.

@cbabie – How are you?

So I lost 2.64 pounds – woohoo me. Update on work situation – My surgeon had to fill in a fitness for work certificate. He marked (no lifting). Our human resources asked Iif I was able to lift a pen (seriously in an email) and how was I able to open doors. My doors at work are auto open except the toilet and fire escape, Maybe she thought I lost the other hand??? My boss rang up and ranted about it. I just told him that the ortho had me fillin the patient form in frontof him, so obviously I can lift a pen (seriously – this OSH thing is getting extreme)

Off to the hairdresser to get my hair washed - that is not something I can do at the moment.

Day 21
  • theslightedgeforever
    Options
    @Trooworld I wish I was the kind of person who couldn’t eat when I’m sick or stressed But it is what it is. Did you make it through a whole day of work?

@TeresaW1020 Woohoo on another loss. Your plan is working. Yes you got your answer on the WW. It’s always nice to be sunshine for others on a rainy day.

@its_cleo I was making good choices at my breakfast and then the lady I rode with started feeling funny and we had to take her to the ER. But all is well with her. But my visit was cut short. I was felling better and then about an hour later started feeling bad again. One thing I’ve learned is never trust your future self. She sometimes lets you down. Have you thought about not eating your exercise calories back? Great job on controlling the ice cream.

@TrishasTime Yes and no on the comfort eating. I’m controlling it more. Plus sometimes I feel better and then sometimes not. This too shall pass. Excellent loss. Especially with not being able to exercise. See now you’re my inspiration. I suddenly started hearing the group Chicago singing those words in my head. 🎶 🎶. Lift a pen. 🤣

Stayed within my food boundaries. Exercised 10 min. Water goal not met and food journal done. Little sticker day.
  • trooworld
    Options
    @TeresaW1020 Thanks, I'm glad I'm feeling well enough to go! My throat is still sore but my energy level is up so that's good. I'll be careful! That's really cool what those ladies said to you and I agree, you ARE an inspiration! You have tried new things until you have found something that is working for you...you didn't give up! Go, Teresa!!!

@its_cleo I'm sure hoping so! Thanks. I do that same thing with calories sometimes. I don't know what the solution is? Getting a single is a win!

@TrishasTime Work went okay but my energy started to go downhill towards the end of the day. I did stay all day, though. I actually made the soups thanks to the quickness of my instant pot, I made chicken noodle in about 45 minutes (using a whole chicken) and beef barley with veggies. Hubby made some other meals. Congrats on the loss, well done! That's great that you can go back to work. I'm sorry you can't wash it yourself, that must drive you crazy!

@theslightedgeforever Me too, if I'm not eating, it's really rare. In fact, I think it's only happened a couple of times when I'm sick lol. I did make it through the whole day but I was losing steam by the end of the day. My throat is still sore today. How are you feeling today?

Hello all. I just have to hang in for one more day. That's what I keep telling myself. It's not that I feel super bad, but I just want to sleep and not deal with work.

EMPOWERED.
  • TrishasTime
    Options
    GM everyone

@theslightedgeforever- Thankyou 😊 I am getting more movement and less pain. I am glad you are slowly getting better.

@trooworld – Glad you got through work – do you guys anti flu vaccination over there? If so, did you get it or is this just a whole pile of different bugs?

Today we are off in the caravan for a couple of days before I head back to ½ day work. First I have to go to the GP to get clarification for work. Now they asked – can I carry my handbag, use a mouse as well as lift a pen. I will take the opportunity to ge the GP to look at my hand – when I fell, there must have got something in it and now there is a lump in the middle of my hand, when pressed, hurt. My skin as obviously grown around whatever it is, so I will get him to do abit of digging.

If you do not hear from me in the next 2 days – it is because I do not have internet

Day 22
  • theslightedgeforever
    Options
    @trooworld May we both get better this week. I’m just tired of feeling bad. I want to get up and move. I’ve been making myself move at least 10 min a day and 4000 steps. So I’m going to have to really concentrate on calories this last stretch of the 100 day challenge. I should be eating soups like you. I’m just not in the mood.

@TrishasTime I got the flu shot this year but here I am. I hope that lump turns out to be nothing. Maybe a lollie in your hand got imbedded with impact from the fall 😝

@gemwolf110 I’m so glad I don’t have allergies and have to deal with all that. How have your food choices been the last couple of days?

I stayed within food boundaries and did my 10 min. That’s about it. Didn’t even journal so I’ll catch up with that tomorrow. No energy to dig deep into my psyche Little sticker day
  • trooworld
    Options
    @TrishasTime I did get the flu vaccine this year as I do every year. I think this is something different, possibly just allergies? I still have a sore throat and I've had it since Sunday. I went to urgent care on Tuesday and they tested me for mononucleosis as well as strep throat and both tests came back negative. They didn't really say what else it could be. It's really bothering me, though. I hope you have a nice time on your caravan.

@theslightedgeforever Yes! Me too, as I said, this is the 3rd time I've been sick since January! Ugh. And like I said above to Trish, I'm beginning to think this is allergies as we are having a super bloom in CA and my sore throat isn't going away. I wasn't in the mood for soup last night, I broke down and bought a supermarket take and bake pizza and it was terrible. I ate half of it anyway and immediately regretted it. I ate it out of stress.

EMPOWERED.
  • TeresaW1020
    Options
    Good morning! :)

@TrishasTime, congrats on the awesome weight loss!! I guess it’s good that they want to make sure you are fully able to go back to work but the extreme much be annoying. I hope you have fun on your mini-trip. What are you all doing?

@gemwolf110, sorry you are sick!! My husband and I both suffer from allergies and take a daily pill. It’s raining the next couple of days, which will help wash the pollen away.

@trooworld, it does sound like you might be suffering from allergies. I hope your throat starts feeling better soon! It’s so annoying when you buy something that isn’t really good for you to eat and then it turns out terrible. That isn’t the way it’s supposed to work! :D

Well, I got bad news yesterday. My baby shower had to be canceled. Our little mama is having contractions and starting to dilate. She has to go to the hospital on Saturday to be checked to make sure she doesn't have preecampsia due to her highblood pressure. She didn't need the added stress so we have decided to pospone until our little Miss is born and then we will have the party and Everleigh Rose can come too!! Good news is that my house is now super clean and I won't be eating bad for me foods on Saturday!! :D

Since I don't have the party, hubby and I are going out tomorrow to do some shopping. I want a pair of nice black slacks to wear to my conference next week. After that we are going out to dinner. We haven't gone out to eat in forever and we are both craving ribs! <3
  • prisoner2food
    prisoner2food Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Plugging along. Finally over my pneumonia and now trying to build up stamina again. It always knocks me flat! Was going to return to work for a few hours on tues and wed but Workplace Health says I need a note from my doctor to have a gradual return. So silly cause I write the note and he just signs it. And will probably charge me for it!!
    Can walk 3-4 blocks before I get short of breath now but getting better. Hope I can do some gardening this weekend when I am home.

Karen in BC
  • theslightedgeforever
    Options
    @trooworld mine has moved out of my head into my chest. Can’t stop coughing. It might have flared up my asthma again. My energy is up so on the road to healing. So moving on from the pizza, you can go back to soup. I had soup fixed in there but I ate 2 slices of PB toast for dinner. So moving on myself.....

@TeresaW1020 Sorry about the shower but you found the silver lining. How are you doing in the exercise department?

@gemwolf110 Hooray on the weight loss. I take it any way I can get it.

@prisoner2food glad to see you are feeling better. I think the energy is what I miss when I get sick.

I’m over calories but from juice. I would be fine if I didn’t drink it as I never drink juice because of the sugar content. But I just wanted some juice today. I did half Cran-raspberry juice and half water. About 4 mugs of that. No exercise not even my 10 min.
  • its_cleo
    Options
    @trooworld when I get seasonal allergies the worst symptonm is always a sore throat, and it usually starts with a sore throat like razor blades. Terrible. Have you tried any antihistamines? So far I only get it in the fall knock on wood.

@theslightedgeforever that's not too bad, just a little bit from juice especially if you have been feeling down/sick.

@prisoner2food - Hi Karen, so glad you are on the healing road to recovery! I know it;s been a long slog. Try to take it easy and don't push too hard, so you don't have any setbacks.

@TeresaW1020 I'm sorry about your shower! I know you were looking forward to it and it sounded fun. I'm sure it will still be fun whenever you have it, and yeah a newborn attending will be sweet :)

@gemwolf110 Hope you recover too!

Well I fell off the wagon but hard. About once a month I have a day where I get up, and have to take a train to see someone- I see a psychologist every 4-6 weeks. She has known me since I was 20 and helped me a lot when I was in my 20s. I was a disaster bc I grew up with a lot of neglect and violence. Anyway I go sometimes now just for a checkup lol. But it is a long day bc I have to get up at 5 travel 2 hours to see her and travel back.

Nothing much in the fridge so I ended up ordering pizza. And then ice cream lol.

But-! I'm just taking it in stride. I checked my weekly calorie count, and I am over but less than I would be in the past. So it is still gradual reduction in habits. One thing I noticed- I could barely eat any ice cream. Normally I would have half a thing of Hagen Daz but I just couldn't (didn't even try) and probably had like 1/5. I just can't eat large amounts anymore, my tummy is used to much smaller portions.

Tomorrow I will come and update my weekly exercise goals from last week. I did so-so with it.

Beee-yeautiful day here, so I am going to do some stairs today. Tomorrow a hike with my club, just a short one.
  • theslightedgeforever
    Options
    @its_cleo. In my 100 day challenge I learned to say “I had a pause in my eating plan” on days I went off my plan. Instead of beating myself up. That sometimes causes me to eat more. So I paused and then hit the play button the very next day. Smaller portions is great. That’s my dream. For the most part I do it and then there are times I really want a regular piece. Sounds like you are making progress overall

I stayed within my food boundaries today. No exercise still. Water goal met and journal done

I’m feeling a bit more energetic. I don’t have to just lie in bed with my eyes closed. I’m in the home stretch of the 100 day challenge
  • TeresaW1020
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Good morning!

@prisoner2food, glad to hear that you are feeling better. When I had pneumonia it took over a month before I was back to normal, so take it easy on yourself. :)

@theslightedgeforever, my exercise is going well. I usually do 45 min to an hour on the treadmill. I hate that my knee won't let me do incline and I'm hoping the more weight I lose will help me get back to incline walking, which I love. I did buy some new 10 lbs hand weights and trying to incorporate some lifting exercising 3 to 4 days a week. I also just got my new Fitbit in and it's the first time I've ever had one that I can wear on my wrist. Very motivating!! :)

@its_cleo, it's great when our stomachs shrink and we take in less food. We just have to make our minds agree with this concept! :D

So, I ended up having a great day yesterday! Hubby took me shopping and I ended up with a new pair of black slacks and two cute new tops. This morning, I plan to surprise my husband by wearing a shirt that he bought me two Christmases ago and was a long wayyyy from fitting. I think I posted that shirt on here a few months ago? Well, it fits and that is why I wanted the black slacks that fit. B) After shopping, we decided to splurge and go out for an early dinner. We had the half slab each of BBQ ribs. I had a side Caesar salad, a baked sweet potato with butter, and one bottle of beer. Y'all I was so full I thought I was going to burst and I thought for sure my weight would be up today. Nope, it was down .2!! :D I am loving my new lifestyle!! I also finally found a coffee that I can drink black. <3
  • trooworld
    Options
    @TeresaW1020 I am feeling better, my throat isn’t as sore, now it is just dry and...constricted? That’s too bad about the baby shower but better safe than sorry and at least this way, the baby will be able to celebrate with you all! Woo hoo to the shirt fitting, and I’m glad you enjoyed your dinner!!!

@prisoner2food I’m glad you are feeling better.

@theslightedgeforever Yes! I’ve moved on from the pizza. I had homemade spaghetti and meatballs for dinner last night. :( Not the best choice, but it was what I felt like having and I was making it for my brother-in-law and husband, too. Back to healthy eating now. I hope you start feeling better soon.

@its_cleo They make me sleepy. I’m feeling a bit better now, so I don’t think I’ll go that route. Do you think you ate the pizza and ice cream because of your visit to the psychologist? Did it upset you? Yes, best to just move on. It’s just a blip on the radar screen of your weight loss journey.

@gemwolf110 Congrats on your 5 lb charm!!! Wooo hoooo!!!!! :) What have you been doing differently?

Hello all. I didn’t feel well earlier today, I had the worst stomach pain for no reason at all. I thought I had the beginnings of an ulcer! I took a Prilosec and laid down. Fell asleep. Woke up and felt better. I’ve got to do something to change the way I live. Nothing I’ve done is working. I’m going to read up on Intermittent Fasting since Teresa, you are inspiring me! And also, my husband does it and is an inspiration as well. I am also going to look at Keto since that works for so many people. I’ve got to shake things up with something different. Stay tuned...

EMPOWERED.
  • theslightedgeforever
    Options
    @TeresaW1020 That’s great that you fit into that shirt. That’s always so much fun. Just keep working your plan.

@gemwolf110 Woohoo on your 5 lb charm. You’ve worked hard for it. Onto the next 5 lbs. Finding a good listening partner is so important.

@trooworld Glad to hear you’re feeling better. I’m finally up and around. It’s moved into my chest and has flared up my asthma again. But at least I can get out and do things. That’s progress. What would be the components of your perfect plan?

I stayed within my food boundaries. Did 15 min of walking. I was dragging about minute 12 but kept going. Drank all my water Journal done. Big sticker day.

Day 98