NON WW & WW NEWBIES, OUR NEW LIFE, THE START OF SOMETHING WONDERFUL

Options

Replies

• TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    Options
    Good morning! :smile:

@stephtra49 Welcome! I'm still going to my WW meetings even though I'm not really following their plan. I do like the accountability of the scale and the people at my meetings but I don't know what I will do in the long term. Ideally, I would reach my goal and then it would be free. :D I look forward to getting to know you!

@trooworld, your salt trick doesn't sound weird to me at all! After my 16th hour of fasting, I find taking some salt to be so helpful. I use pink Himalayan salt now but Dr. Berry really recommends Redmond's salt so I might buy some of that. I will either toss some in my mouth and wash it down with water or put it in a cup of water and drink it hot. Hot salt water is weird but strangely satisfying. :D Do let me know what treats you make. I have been looking for things that won't cause an insulin spike as candy does. Evil candy!!! >:)

@theslightedgeforever, yes I made it to WW and faced the music. 2.2 lbs gain from my conference. :/ I'm a little behind on my journalling but plan to catch up next week. Just gotta get through Easter weekend!

@its_cleo, you will find that sweet spot for yourself where you can eat and be satisfied and still maintain your weight. Happy Easter to you! :)

@TrishasTime, hello dear! You are in my thoughts and prayers. Be good to yourself. <3

Well, it's here! Easter weekend!! :#o:) Yesterday, my pastor took the staff to lunch and I didn't make the best choices, but I've decided to cut myself a little slack until this weekend is over. I have a ton of little projects to get done today, including setting up a bunch of mugs with chocolate candy for our visitor's gift. I plan to do it first thing while I'm fasting so that the candy doesn't end up in my mouth! :| Then tonight is our Good Friday service where I am not doing anything but sitting and enjoying the service. Tomorrow morning I have to be at the church at 8 am to set up for the egg hunt. Over 9000 eggs!!! :o There is a chance for rain so we are all praying that it will move or hold off! I'm teaching children's church on Easter morning and have most of my lesson planned out. It's going to be super fun and I think the kids will really love it.

OK, I'm off to get the day started! Have a great day everyone! <3

• its_cleo
    its_cleo Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    @TeresaW1020 Hope it doesn't rain! I'm sure it will be fun either way, the kids will have a ball and I bet hiding them is fun too. I hope the service is nice tonight.

@TrishasTime thinking of you! Take gentle care, just focus on yourself and recovering.

@trooworld making your own snacks or treats is a great idea. Are you trying to do keto? there must be lots of recipes online. I've been trying protein bar recipes. Nothing has knocked my socks off but they are still better than buying them.

That's great @stephtra49, there is diabetes in my family but fortunately I don't have it. But I try to eat healthy, sometimes more successful than others.

Well yesterday I was under my maintenance calorie goal so that was a success. Today I am going to do some stairs and hill work if the weather cooperates - it is rainy here too.

Tomorrow I volunteered to do spring cleaning at the Buddhist meditation centre I go to sometimes. We meditate for 30 minutes, do some spring cleaning, and then they have a vegetarian lunch. It's a nice way to spend half a day.
  • theslightedgeforever
    theslightedgeforever Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    This will be quick. I’ve had too many social events the past few days. Past couple of days I’ve been over calories Not doing too well on my big stickers. So putting my head down and will earn those stickers and lose my 1 lb for my 10 day weigh in.

• trooworld
    trooworld Posts: 5,890 Member
    Options
    @TeresaW1020 I use Himalayan salt. I'm glad you don't find it strange! lol I'll try it in water. I'll let you know about the treats. I need to try something! Did you get all those eggs done yet? I hope all the kids have fun and it doesn't rain on them, although when I was a kid I always wanted to play in mud puddles but my mom wouldn't let me lol. Have a great day, too!

@its_cleo I am indeed doing keto. Started last Saturday. I've found some recipes for treats and I also just ordered an interesting keto treat cookbook. I hope the weather cooperates with your plans. Congrats on staying under your maintenance calorie goal! :) The day at the Buddhist center sounds nice and relaxing. Enjoy!

@theslightedgeforever Buckle down and go get it!

Hello all. I was within my macros yesterday which was nice. I've been doing really well tracking, I've tracked everything since Monday, April 8th. For me, tracking is very important. Pre-tracking is how I track, it's like a map for my eating.

On another note, I normally get up like 4-5 times a night thinking I have to go to the bathroom (whether or not I really do, it's an anxiety thing, or maybe a menopause thing). I decided to buy a weighted blanket (I bought a 20 lb one) because I heard that it can reduce the times you get up in the middle of the night. The first couple of nights, there was an increase in REM time and maybe I got up one less time. Last night, I didn't wear my Fitbit, but I can tell you that I only got up ONCE! I got a wonderful sleep. We'll see if the same thing happens tonight.

EMPOWERED.
  • its_cleo
    Options
    @theslightedge social events are difficult. I hope at least they were enjoyable. Like you say, it is just a pause- you can get back on track, one meal at a time.

@trooworld I agree about tracking it is super important. That is great about the blanket! I have that problem too occasionally, with me it is absolutely anxiety. But I read an article just a couple weeks ago about different sleep aids and it mentioned the weighted blankets. Glad it's working out!

Yesterday I did the stairs 5x100 and hill 1 lap. The hill is equivalent to the stairs.

Calories I was over by 71. My own fault bc I had pasta for dinner and I didn't track it until today and found I was over. But I'm still under my weekly cals so it;s okay.

Today is rainy again but I will try to run and then take a break tomorrow. I'm excited- I said I was a slow runner. I also run walk and haven't been able to do more than 90s run/90s walk for a couple years. My breathing always gives out. So I've really been working at my breathing and the stairs are helping increase my lung capacity too. So today i will do 90s/90s again and then I will try to increase to 2 mins run/90 sec walk. Not much of an increase I guess but it is huge for me!
  • theslightedgeforever
    Options
    @trooworld interesting in the weighted blanket. I have never heard of those. Although I wonder if I would feel imprisoned. Good for you for tracking.

@its_cleo I always enjoy my social activities. Usually not with food though. I’m better there than at home usually. How do you work on your breathing. I remember trying to run the Couch to 5K program and was crying when I finally hit the 3 min mark. I found it easier to run outside than on the treadmill. My goal is to finish that one day. Your stair numbers look good

Stayed within calories but that’s about it.
  • TeresaW1020
    Options
    Happy Easter!!! o:)

@trooworld, I have heard about those weighed blankets and always thought that I would hate the feeling of something heavy on me. I'm so glad it seems to be working for you. I get up at least 2 to 5 times through the night and it's been very interesting tracking my sleep with my new Fitbit. I sure would like it if I didn't get up so much! :smiley: Good job on keeping up with your tracking. That is where I've really slipped but I'm back at it this week!

@its_cleo, it sounds like you are doing great with your exercise and learning how to increase your lung capacity. Do you just do outside walk/runs or do you have a treadmill or gym for the bad weather days? I just do inside treadmill walking but I think it might be a good change of pace to get outside. :)

@theslightedgeforever, sounds like we are both struggling a little our first 10-days of the new challenge. Let's pull it together and make these next 10 days the best ever! Now that my schedule is freeing up I'm going to concentrate on the journalling and getting my head back on track. :)

Well, the Easter egg hunt yesterday was great and awful! :D The weather was terrible! It was freezing cold, windy and raining off and on the whole time. But we persevered and set up anyway. All our wonderful volunteers came out and worked their butts off and we had well over 200 people show up. The kids loved the egg hunts and I got a ton of amazing pictures! I used parts of my body that haven't been used for a long time and I am still sore and worn out this morning. But it's Easter and I have to leave soon and go teach a bunch of kids about how much Jesus loves them. I'm doing it with a bag of Skittles!! :DB)

Here is just one pic that I took that shows my church and a huge line of pre-schoolers ready to swarm like locust on some plastic candy-filled eggs! :D

lxxamddag4zq.jpeg

• trooworld
    Options
    @its_cleo Yes, for me it's definitely anxiety too. I think you are doing great with the exercise!

@theslightedgeoforever I was wondering if I would feel that way, I get absolutely panicky when I get a shirt stuck on my head lol. But I don't feel imprisoned at all. It's more like a hug! :D Congrats on staying within your calories, that's something to celebrate!

@TeresaW1020 Happy Easter to you as well! Yes, I get up constantly! The blanket feels more like a hug than imprisonment, I swear! I knew you'd get back at it!!! Wow, look at all those eggs! I hope your lesson goes well. Skittles! That will be a fun lesson, do they get to eat the Skittles afterward? ;)

Hello all. After I finish my coffee, I'm going for a walk. Today is the day of the city's best farmer's market, so my husband and I are going to go to that and pick up a few things. Then it will be time to meal prep for the week. Want to see how I'm eating now that my meal plan has changed? Here's what we are making this week:
    Easy Rib Eye Roast + Italian Roasted Mushrooms and Veggies + Creamed Kale
    Easy Low-Carb Cauliflower Fried Rice
    Chicken breaded in Better than Popeye’s Chicharonne Breading and stuffed with cheese and roasted red peppers + Butter-fried green cabbage
    Spinach and Feta Turkey Meatballs (but we are using ground beef) + salad
    Fathead Low Carb Keto Pizza

EMPOWERED.
  • stephtra49
    stephtra49 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    0dgyl605gumx.png
  • its_cleo
    Options
    @theslightedgeforever with the breathing- it's just focussing on deep breathing. If you breathe shallow, most people will have a hard time. So I have been concentrating on deep deep breath in slow to the count of 5 or as much as I can, then push all the air out to a count of 4 or something. The more you do that, the more your capacity for breathing increases. I don't really understand how it works lol.

But I run pretty slow and focus on that if I am going uphill or something where I would normally gasp and it's really helping. I dont have to do it all the time, just tough patches.

Unfortunately I didnt get to go yesterday it was just pouring.

@TeresaW1020 I normally go outside, but my gym has a treadmill. I use it sometimes, I just get bored on a treadmill. That picture looks great! Is that a slide for the kids? I bet they loved that. I used to love the bouncy castles when I was a kid.

What does your fitbit track?

@trooworld enjoy the farmers market. I wanted to go here yesterday but I had other plans so will have to try next weekend. The blanket sounds cool. I can see how it would be comforting. It's like babies like to be swaddled, why not grownups?! :)

Happy Easter @stephtra49 !

Well I was doing well with the exercising but I took yesterday and today off and I've been a couch potato lol. Lots of tv and surfing the net. Tomorrow I'll be back at it, and work again on Tuesday.

Have a great day all!
  • trooworld
    Options
    @stephtra49 Happy Easter to you as well!

@its_cleo I did enjoy the farmer’s market. I only got a couple of things though: fresh eggs (only a couple of hours old), grape tomatoes, and an iced coffee. This farmer’s market has everything from fruits and veggies to handmade jewelry and soaps and artisan olive oils and hummus! It’s a huge one and I love to go. They also have a row of food stalls which we walked down but didn’t get anything from but the coffee. Everyone needs a break now and again from exercise, I think.

@gemwolf110 Awwwwww! Look at the puppers! They look so cute! Happy Easter to you as well.

Hello all. I walked a lot today so my foot is hurting me quite a bit. After the farmer’s market, we stopped by this dessert shop that specializes in paleo/keto/low-carb treats and I bought a treat to take home. I had it after lunch and boy, was it good! Now, I’m in recovery mode on the couch, resting my foot. I stopped back in tonight because I may not be able to check in tomorrow, I have to be at work really early.

EMPOWERED.
  • TrishasTime
    TrishasTime Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Happy Easter everyone :)

@trooworld - They are currently advertising the weighted blanket on TV. They also use alot of blankets after you have had surgery and are in recovery, for the same purpose (less restlessness etc). A think walking through the farmers market is exercise. Am I gathering from your menu plan, you are going lo carb

@teresaW2010 - Wow - what a lot of Easter eggs and good on you for not devouring them as you put them together. How does the skittles work in a Sunday School session?

@its_cleo - when I used to run, I also did shallow breath, now I understand why I struggled. Well done on your exercises.

@theslightedgeforever - What is that song that Meatloaf sings "two out of three aint bad" You did one more than me yesterday - I did none :(

@gemwolf110 - happy Easter to you and your puppies :)

@steohtra49 - Happy Easter to you

@cbabie , @prisoner2food - hope all is well with you

Foot has given me the whoops :( Unhappy that I can not move alot - this too will pass (hopefully soon)

Trish
  • theslightedgeforever
    Options
    @trooworld Is your meal prep any easier or just different? Weighted blanket: I don't like hugs either. lol

@TeresaW1020 I noticed I was slow to start on the last 100 day challenge too but I found my stride. So let's start striding. I see you went with the ole "hiding in plain sight" strategy. Reminds me of being a child on Easter. Good memories. Except for the one part I hated. Sunrise service. But being the preacher's daughter it's not like I could sleep in...

@stephtra49 Welcome to the Group. I hope you had a good Easter.

@its_cleo Thanks for the breathing info. I was thinking you want me to walk and chew bubblegum at the same time? When I run I'm focusing on KEEP GOING. lol It's a process, right?

@gemwolf110 Look at your babies. So cute. Hope you had a good Easter.

@TrishasTime What indication on healing time for your foot did the doc tell you? That has to be very frustrating. I'm still working on my 3/3 right now. I think I need to dig deep for this one.

I stayed within food boundaries. No exercise. Water goal met. Journal done.

• prisoner2food
    prisoner2food Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Made it to Las Vegas yesterday with my daughter, son in law and 3 little ones. A lot of work getting on and off the plane! Walked for miles ( it seemed) in the airport and apparently we are walking a LOT more today. They are gonna do me in !! Where is the pool!!
    Love the idea of a challenge but can never seem to find them.

Karen from BC
  • trooworld
    Options
    @TrishasTime Hi Trish, how are you? That's interesting about the weighted blankets. Yes, there was a lot of walking at the farmer's market and I WILL consider it exercise! Indeed, I am going keto, which is a form of low carb.

@theslightedgeforever It's not easier, just different. But in a way, it's easier: because I'm doing Intermittent Fasting too, I am not eating breakfast, so I don't have to prepare my breakfast, which is nice. :) Maybe you wouldn't like the weighted blanket if you don't like hugs lol.

@prisoner2food Vegas is a lot of walking! Good luck keeping up with the little ones, I hope you have a nice trip. These other ladies do the challenges, they can chime in and tell you about them.

Hi all. I found some time to pop in. I weigh every day, but today, I am down 5 lbs over last week! Keto and Intermittent Fasting are working for me and I shall stick with them for now. Have a great day!

EMPOWERED.
  • TeresaW1020
    Options
    Good morning!

@its_cleo, yes that was a slide for the kids and normally it would have been great fun but with the rain, it was more like a water slide and being freezing cold it wasn't the best thing for them to have. I really felt sorry for our two volunteers who worked the slide. :# I have the Fitbit Charge 3 and it tracks my steps, exercise, sleep, heart rate, and weight. I think it would track even more if I set it up. I know I can track my food and water on it too if I wanted to. I really like it!

@gemwolf110, such cute dogs!!! <3

@TrishasTime, I used the colors of the Skittles (purple, yellow, orange, red, and green) to tell the Easter story. It was cute and something the kids could remember. So sorry that your foot is still causing you pain! I do hope you will heal soon and be able to enjoy life pain-free again. <3

@theslightedgeforever, yeah that pic was our pre-schooler egg hunt. We don't try to hide them at all. We did a bit more hiding for the older kids but with over 3000 eggs per hunt, most were just tossed everywhere. They loved it!! I'm glad our pastor isn't a morning person so I don't have to get up at sunrise! :D

@trooworld, So happy that your weight is going down and that you are doing what works for you!! It's super motivating, isn't it? B) We just had a new farmers market open here and I really want to go to it. Just have to remember to get up and go!! :D

Whew!! Easter is over and for at least the next few weeks I can breathe and stop working so hard. Of course, vacation Bible school is on the horizon so the break will be a short one! It's also time for me to STOP overeating and get back to my plan. I will be journalling in the 100-day journal, doing my IF and eating much healthier than I have been since I went to that conference. I took a picture with hubby yesterday at the church and posted it on my Facebook wall and several people commented on my weight loss. That was very nice and motivating. I don't want to go back! I also don't want to stop making progress. So today is my recommit day and I'm excited!! :)
  • its_cleo
    Options
    @TeresaW1020 I thought about getting a fitbit or something like it but decided not to. I can't remember why now lol. I'm sorry the weather sucked on Sunday, but you can be proud of all the work you put in. Now that life is getting back to normal I know you can get back on track. It's just the beginning that's hard, once you start it will seem like routine again.

@trooworld sounds like a nice farmer's market. I like getting fresh eggs too. I've also tried fresh honey and I don't think I can eat regular honey from a supermarket ever again lol. And CONGRATS on the 5 lbs! That is huge.

@prisoner2food enjoy Vegas! I've never been

@theslightedgeforever lol. The running and breathing- it seems hard actually it kind of helps make the time go faster bc you are focussed so much on breath. I am hoping though that I will get more used to it and be able to breathe deeper naturally as I build up capacity.

Couch to 5k- I tried it a couple of times. I think it starts slow and ramps up too fast. I could never stick to the schedule they set and it was usually around the 3 min mark I struggled. So over time I just started doing my own thing. Years ago I researched tons and tons of running plans and the slow walk/run buildup I think can be done as slow as you want, any way you want. There is a lot of theory about how to improve for more advanced runners, but beginners it's just about going slow and adding on.

So I started at 60 s run/ 90 s walk. Then I will just add 30 secs on to progress.
    Now- 90 s run/ 90 s walk.

If it goes okay this week I will tag on 30 seconds and be-

2 min (120 sec) run / 90 sec walk.

You can tell I love running but I suck at it lol. One yr I did manage to run 5km straight and promptly got injured. But it took me 38-40 minutes to do the 5km bc I'm slow. I think it's supposed to be under 30 mins. But a long time ago I decided I liked running and so I don't care anymore if I'm slow or if I can't progress very much. I just do what I can, it's still exercise.

Anyway I have probably bored you all to tears!

@gemwolf110 cute pups!

Yesterday I was under cals. And I sold my AC for $60! I was happy with that bc I thought I would have to throw it out. I love kijiji.
  • its_cleo
    Options
    @TrishasTime -- rest up and take care, this will pass with time. I know it can be frustrating waiting for the body to heal. Wishing all the best!
  • theslightedgeforever
    Options
    @prisoner2food Oh have fun in Vegas. Lots of walking is great exercise. The fun kind I think.

@trooworld I don't do any of the challenges as I have enough to keep up on just trying to earn my big sticker. lol I did today though. Woohoo.

@TeresaW1020 Yaaay for your recommit day. So now you need to figure out how to stay OP when things get stressful like Easter prep or VBS days. Maybe maintaining during those times instead of trying to lose. It beats gaining. Then having to re-lose those pounds.

@its_cleo Totally agree with you on the C25K. I remember they suddenly jump to 20 min and I'm like WHAT? So I made my own progressive C25K. We end up at the same place but the journey is about 3 weeks longer I think. Part of me wants to try again. Part of me thinks will I mess up my knees at my age. Then I'll have to do a knee replacement, etc. Don't want to go down that path. Part of me thinks wait until I'm at goal to try this endeavor so the stress on my knees won't be as great. Other part just thinks I would get to goal faster if I would just run. HA Obviously I'm sitting doing a lot of thinking and not so much running. Hooray for being under calories; oh and selling the AC too.

OK, I think I'm done now. I stayed within my food boundaries. Took a rest day for exercise but did my 15 min. (more than I have been doing lately) water goal met. Journal done. Big sticker day.
  • trooworld
    Options
    @TeresaW1020 Oh that's a bummer about the rain and the slide, that sounds like fun! re: the weight going down...yes, super motivating! Do support your farmer's market, you don't want it to go away! That must have been motivating for people to comment on your weight loss. You've got this, keep going!

@its_cleo It is really a lovely farmer's market. Oh my, fresh honey, if I were eating honey right now, I would love to try fresh honey but I'm not eating any sugar products. re: the 5 lbs...thanks! re: Couch to 5K...I've done that program and you know what? I didn't stick with the program, I did it at my pace. If it was going to fast, I repeated a day. I eventually ran the whole 5K. And then I ran in a 5K and I was so proud of myself, I cried at the end! :)

@theslightedgeforever I meant your 100-day challenge, which you rocked! ;)

Hello all. Today feels like a Monday because yesterday, I didn't go to work: my husband pulled a muscle and had to be taken to urgent care and then after that I had a couple of appointments and it wasn't worth the drive to drive to work for an hour. I'm going to constantly be thinking it's Monday today!

EMPOWERED.