NON WW & WW NEWBIES, OUR NEW LIFE, THE START OF SOMETHING WONDERFUL

Replies

• gemwolf110
    gemwolf110 Posts: 1,335 Member
    edited September 2019
    @trooworld I love periogis. I have a Polish friend that makes them. I think I will try your pear salad next week. That sounds good. Did you track a meal yesterday?

@joannadavison I'm one who does not believe in good foods vs bad foods. Probably so I can eat the bad foods and not feel guilty. lol I'm learning to rename them healthy vs unhealthy. It makes my choices easier sometimes. Sometimes I want to live here in the now and enjoy my ice cream. I made better choices than I usually do on Saturday. I got a no sugar added small scoop in a cup. Important thing I think is staying within the boundaries daily and we can work on the balance of our food. I love boats and the water.

@gemwolf110 That's the part I love about the firepit too. The spaces between the bricks to see the glow. I just had a bad thought. You can roast marshmallows through that hole. With your job I bet the employee discounts are nice. What is your food/exercise plan for the upcoming holiday season. You know you will be super busy during that time. It's good to have a plan in place before it hits.

@kimifarr Welcome to the group! Lots of people had problems with that freestyle thing. I'm a data person and like to know exactly what I'm eating/exercising.

So I got my stitches out today. I think one was embedded in my nose. She couldn't get it out and kept pulling and kept apologizing because she knew it hurt. Yes it did. My bp was high again today. I have hypertension but this was second time it was high in a 5 days. I took it at home and it was much lower. I'm going to track it for awhile and see. Maybe I need a dosage change? I'm wondering if this carb cycling thing is affecting it somehow. I'm not using sodium more than normal. Anyway, don't want to stroke out. I'm still working towards my goal. ;) There's a good chance of long term success with this plan.

Tomorrow I start my next 100 days. I'm doing a combination of two books and already have my syllabus outlined for it.

Oh yes we get a decent discount. I know where I’ll be buying Christmas presents for family this year ! Yes it’s perfect for marshmallows but hasn’t been tested yet.
    My holiday plan is lots of meal prep and getting more exercise in. 2nd job will be go go go so no time for snacks.
    Ouch the stitches removal sounded like it was painful especially in the nose area.
    Could be white coat syndrome or maybe a dosage change. Diet could possibly be affecting it. Best to consult your doctor.
  • gemwolf110
    @gemwolf110 lets all visit for healtht cookout on your firepit. We have a lot of work to do on our garden- DH started but then back injury hampered him, had all sorts of plan that haven't happened- your firepit is making me very jealous

@kimifarr welcome. I haven't been on MFP very long either- this is a great group. I've literally just cancelled WW (been with them almost 10 years, never hit goal but been very close)- saving my money for PT now. I did buy this month's magazine & also the Slimming World one too.

@theslightedgeforever : stitches out- ouch only goid experiences I had was the 1 stitch & beads 1st C-section then soluble for 2nd- all rest ops not been nice. Was the high bp due to stress of stitches?? I remember asking what the beeping was in theatre when I had minor surgery with local & no sedation-my bp was through the roof & I heard it come down once he'd finished- really dramatic. My mum's was up & it was the potassium in the salt alternative- shehad to get that all sorted. Mighr be worth checking a few reasons.

Had another tiring day but productive. DH cooked a veggie version of "Cajun dirty rice" from Pinch of Nom book tonight- it was lush!!!!
    Hope you all have goid day

Yes!!! Everyone come on over! Trying to get this house of mine better for company. Would love to entertain people more.
    And next outside project is getting the garden mapped out for next year.

• gemwolf110
    its_cleo wrote: »
    @gemwolf110 your firepit looks awesome! It’s so pretty- very nice and inviting. Yeah the spaces between the bricks are great. Did you come up with that design yourself?

@theslightedgeforever wow that sounds awful with the stitches. Did they heal ok?

Hi @kimifarr welcome!

@joannadavison! Congrats to your daughter! Great to have an accomplishment after a negative day. The low bp- I don’t know it could be making me tired. I certainly have chronic raccoon eyes no matter how much sleep I get! I know I get dizzy when doing certain strength training exercises and that could be causing it. There’s really nothing I can do about I guess except she said to make sure I drink enough water. So that was a goal anyway. And hopefully it doesn’t dip down right out of the normal range.

@trooworld sounds like a nice dinner out. Yeah the two salads look good, though I’m not a fan of lump crab. Maybe I can substitute something. I'm going to try one of the chili recipes you recommended later this week.

@renaegry sounds like the kids are keeping you busy. It’s great you can exercise while they have their events.
    Well I am starting a new week and trying really hard to stay on track. Went out Sunday with a couple people and stuck to my limit of 2 beers. It helped that I didn’t really care for the options lol. We grabbed lunch and so I was over calories by 200 but I think I can bring that down by end of week. I hope! I have a few long days for me, which is very unusual, but I have a new project at work picking up and I have to travel 3 days this week, and go in to the office the fourth. So I usually end up eating more when I’m out and about.

I have made a plan for the week of meals and snacks- I don’t normally do that but hoping it will help me.
    I went for a walk today instead of a run bc I felt beat. I walked through an old cemetery here, it is very pretty. My exercise will be less this week bc I won’t be home as much.

I’m a bit anxious with the new projects. Bc I’m like a consultant I have to meet new people all over again every project. But I’m supposed to be with this group until May, so hopefully once I get started it will all be good.
    Take care all.

Yes I did. I was the brains and the SO was the muscle. Lol

I really need to get out and walk more. I would like to run but I’m not in the best of running shape quite yet.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Hi all--not too busy--helping dd with the new house, they wanted all the hinges & the door handles changed. Dh & I changed 60 hinges (20 doors). They don't have the handles yet, so we have a days break, lol. Wow, just looked out the window--gorgeous sunset tonight, rain earlier!

@gemwolf110 --your firepit is beautiful!! I love it!

@joannadavison --I try not to label food as good or bad either. Try to just think of it as food & watch the calories. I know about Dh's & bad backs--we were staining the deck last week & 1/2 thru his back went out, so I got to finish by myself, lol.

@Kimifarr--welcome. Remember to count the calories in veg & fruit, too. I know I could consume a lot of fruit calories if I didn't keep track!

Hope everyone has a great day.
  • renaegry
    renaegry Posts: 1,256 Member
    Good evening all. Just got back from a quick 27 min 2.83 km walk. Had to cut it short was getting pretty dark out.

@kimifarr welcome.

@gemwolf110 love the fire pit. Those holes will allow nice heat to come thru.

Willy is doing great. Running around the house like his little kitten self. Lol. Tom morning football practice will be spent with my nose in my book. Suppose to be raining all day tom. Then from there I’m off to work for a few hours and then off to competitive gymnastics with my daughter. So basically leaving house at 5:45 am and should be home by 8pm. With the exception of dropping off kids at home and grabbing things for the next trip. Going to be a long day.
  • theslightedgeforever
    theslightedgeforever Posts: 2,213 Member
    @gemwolf110 That's good that you have a solid plan for the holidays. Think of how much extra movement you'll be getting in with your second job. That should help in the calorie burning dept.

@retiredandlovingit Husbands and backs: was that his plan all along to get you to finish the desk. lol My dh would be impressed with you and the hinges. He would say, see? What good choice did you make today?

@renaegry Nice walk you had. Do you find that food/exercise is harder on your long days or easier because you have to plan it so well? What book are you reading?
  • theslightedgeforever
    @joannadavison The bp was taken before the stitches so I don't know. I go to the dr on the 17th for my follow up so I'll see what that one says. Plus I'll start taking it at home. How nice to have a dh that cooks healthy meals. Are you getting in some exercise now that school has started?

@its_cleo Don't know yet about the stitches healing. They are still under steri-strips. Fingers crossed. No hidden places, they are literally right in the center of my face. I have racoon eyes normally too. Even as a child. That's great that you stuck to your beer limit. Maybe go there more often since you don't like the options. Built in portion control. lol Good for you for making a plan for meals and snacks. When you go out, eat half.

Another day of staying OP. Tomorrow I'm going to try some very light walking. Time to get this body moving again. I figure if I do it in 15 min spurts it's not true exercise and I don't have to lie to him. lol Just a stroll around the house.

I started my new 100 day book. Talked about the Diet traps we fall into and how we can learn to escape them.
    Positive diet traps-vacation, celebrations, holidays
    Negative diet traps-stress, family problems, food pushers
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    @gemwolf110, your firepit is amazing!! I love it and it looks like your dogs do too. I am sure that you will have lots of wonderful evenings around that fire. :)

Good morning everyone! I read all your posts and it looks like you are all doing well. Glad to see it!! <3

Well, we got moved into the house yesterday and I worked myself so hard that I’ve managed to really hurt my back. I sat with a heating pad on it last evening and today I am under strict husband orders to NOT lift a single box or stoop over. Ugghhh and there is so much still do to do but at least the kitchen is mostly done and we can find stuff that is important. We love the house!! Our little dog is freaked out and doesn’t understand at all what has happened. I’m hoping she adjusts soon. We had Chic-Fil-A for dinner and we splurged on an ice cream cone and chocolate chip cookie! Yeah, my weight is wayyyy up this morning. Back on plan today!
  • trooworld
    trooworld Posts: 5,875 Member
    @joannadavison So far, it's good! :) A power boat license, that sounds like it could come in handy for the family! :D I love Pinch of Nom recipes, very good!

@gemwolf110 your fire pit is just lovely!

@kimifarr Hi and welcome! :)

@theslightedgeforever I pre-tracked the whole week. :) The pear salad is delicious, I've had it before. I loved the periogis, so delicious. I hope you figure out the blood pressure thing. Sorry the stitches coming out hurt. :(

@its_cleo I actually don't use real crab, I use imitation crab, which has quite a different taste, try that.

@renaegry I'm so glad Willy is better! :D

@TeresaW1020 Congrats on moving! Boo to hurting your back, I hope you feel better soon and that the poochy adjusts. It took a bit for our dog to adjust, too.

Hi gals! I've been busy with life. OP, but busy. I pre-tracked my entire week, that really helped. My new exercise bike is coming next Monday. I'm taking half day off work to make sure I'm home when it's delivered (hopefully it doesn't get delivered while I'm still at work!).

EMPOWERED.
    September goals: track 1 meal a day, drink 50 oz of liquids a day, lose 1 lb
  • JoDavo66
    JoDavo66 Posts: 526 Member
    Only got a few mins- had meeting after work & it took us longer to do the work than expected. I'm a "subject development leader" which is sort of 2nd in dept- there's 2 of us. So met with my counterpart to set up a project the whole dept needs to do but the person supplying the data & asking for this to be done hadn't supplied what we needed- so we had to go on a data hunt.😡
    Left late, got my girls, cadet run & now I'm shattered- cheating again but I need it- exhausted! Skinny hot choc but a bit of tray bake too.😢 - will pull back.

Gym tomorrow & Thursday- I then need to look at fitting a bit in on Mon & Tues at home- need to tweek my after school routine even if 20 mins!
  • theslightedgeforever
    @teresaw1020 Congrats on the move. Ouch on the back. Hope it heals soon. Back to following your plan. It's just as far to reach for a healthy food as an unhealthy food.

@trooworld Look at you Ms. Super Tracker. Good for you. Now you can be on the lookout for WHEN you change your mind about your plan and grab something else. So that can be looked at later and explored. I changed one of my mealtime names in the food diary to Unplanned foods. That way I can see what I ate on impulse.

@joannadavison You sound like you are making good exercise plans. All those little tweaks work. You are forming healthy habits. So a good list to have handy is ways to pamper and make yourself feel better quickly on those days you need it. It has to be something that is easy to do and quick. Otherwise you will reach for foods that aren't healthy for you. So my list would include things like putting on favorite music and listening to it for 5-10 min. Rubbing my favorite cream all over. Aromatherapy is a great way to relax. Call my best friend or someone I know will make me laugh. What would be on your list? Another idea is to keep a list of things you deserve. For instance the thought in your head was I'm exhausted; I had to do someone else's job by going on a data hunt. I deserve to sit and enjoy this tray bake. Another thought would be I deserve to be healthy so I'm around a long time for my girls so I'm going to ....... Great job on the skinny hot chocolate.

So I did a bit of strolling today. 30 minutes broken up into two parts.Food was OP. I talked myself out of a diet coke and rice chips. I had the carbs and cals left for them but the sodium might have caused a bit of a gain and I'm not where I want to be right now. That right there is a change of thinking in me.

In my book today, it said the key to success for weight loss is not just having an eating plan and tracking your macros and fiber. It's the ability to stick to it especially on the days when you don't feel like it.
  • trooworld
    @joannadavison Good luck with the exercise plans!

@theslightedgeforever That's a good idea. I wish I could have another category of foods, I already have all my categories named and I don't want to give up any. :P You are right about the key to success. That's been my problem for so long!

EMPOWERED.
  • JoDavo66
    Very productive day: at work, at gym & "homework".
    @theslightedgeforever I am aiming to get organised so I'm not in that position where I'm sooooo tired that I just want sugar. Thankfully I felt so stuffed I didn't want to eat later & ended up 100 cals over- which I can live with. But you're right- I don't want to be there again. Today was so much more productive so after dropping youngest off, eldest & I went to Starbucks (down the road from Police training centre where Police cadets held) we both only had 1 drink & completed 1.5 hours work solid. Also ate before I did 'Mom's taxi' which helped.

Gym was hard today but buzzing by the end. I have been over holidays but not enough- so 5K on X-trainer was hard but I didn't give up- my time wasn't great but it wasn't bad either. Then did a burst of HIT.
    Certainly feel better for it. Roll on tomorrow!
  • theslightedgeforever
    @trooworld I had to combine my afternoon and evening snacks into just snacks just to do it. That at least helps me know what I'm eating between meals. Then if I suddenly cave to a craving I can now know that too.

@joannadavison Arent productive days the best? Good for you for getting in some good exercise. Such a great stress reliever.

I went to a baby shower tonight and stayed OP with my carbs. Went over cals by 100. I ate very sparingly during the day and was picky about my choices so I could leave all my carbs for the evening. I got in two 15 min strolls during the day. Two more days of strolling before I can go back to regular exercise.
  • trooworld
    @joannadavison Great job at the gym! :)

@theslightedgeforever Oh that's a good idea. I think I'll do that. I'm glad you are going slow with the exercise.

Hi gals. I went to the doctor about chest pain the other day (it turned out to just be anxiety) and my doctor gave me the speech once again: I need to lose weight, eat low carb, here's how to eat low carb (I know I know I know how to eat low carb thank you very much). I was so very annoyed. :( But what can I do but show him with action?

EMPOWERED.
  • cbabie
    cbabie Posts: 1,563 Member
    Morning all,

I am just stopping by to say that I am alive, but this week has had its many challenges. I have had a sick baby for over a week. I had to laugh, after one Dr visit, we had to take her back and I kept telling my DH that she had roseola, but no one believed me...well the Dr looked at her and said she has...roseola. LOL . She asked if I knew what that was I said yes. However, I found out most people don't know what it is. I had to explain that to 2 adults who work with children in our State programs...makes you wonder right?

Well my hand is not where it should be, but I am typing and I had to take a typing test for a job interview..I typed 52 wpm..so not bad with a stiff hand..LOL

ok gotta run

Cbabie
  • JoDavo66
    @theslightedgeforever sounds like you also had productive day! Well done on sticking to your plans. 100cals as 1 off isn't a biggie. I've had another productive day at work & got ahead with planning only because I felt so yuk, left the site & went to a Starbucks half way home. Got work done but skipped gym. Feel a bit guilty about it but on the other hand with a headache & a period (been months- I'm perimenopausal) I thought work done & early night was probably a better idea.

@trooworld I feel your pain!! Anxiety a problem for me & eldest. She's struggling at the moment- had 2 tests/exams today and was given homework the night before for a 3rd subject- she was literally shaking. They are piling the pressure on them. Re: Docs comments- winds me up too. I often have some irregular gut/bowel problems & with a family history of cancer GP sends me to be tested. Turns out- thankfully no tumours, all 6 biopsies clear but I have got diverticulitis!! I then get a lecture of a nurse, who hasn't got my medical history on this, on fibre in the diet. I am essentially vegetarian & have had a fairly high fibre diet for 25 years the previous 10 even more so after my dad of bowel cancer but she was having none of it. I googled it & 2 types of pain meds, I'd been on after 3 ops & then for 3 years with shoulder were also indicated!!!! But what do we know??????

Anyway off to finish a tiny bit of planning & make dinner for hubbie coming in from work.
  • its_cleo
    its_cleo Posts: 544 Member
    @cbabie wow sorry to hear about the little baby. I hope she recovers ok. Yeah I totally agree doctors don’t know everything. – Typing 52 words a minute- I don’t think I could do that!

@trooworld that really sucks about the doctor. It’s really frustrating when you think something physical is wrong and it isn’t. Very poor response- shouldn’t they be trying to help with your anxiety, and not lecturing about food? Piling on my pressure doesn’t really help.

@theslightedgeforever good job with staying in cals almost- 100 is not bad especially if you were at an event.

@joannadavison great you got some exercise in. And yes sometimes it’s best to listen to our bodies and rest. Hope you feel better soon.

@TeresaW1020 ouch on your back! You’ve been doing a lot. I hope you can rest and heal it ok.

I’m ok, just busy week. Still about 200 cals over, which is kind of a miracle as I’ve been a bottomless pit all week. Healthy food just starving. Haven’t been able to exercise as much either but I did see my trainer. Tuesday we did 5x5 squats and Romanian dead lifts. I squatted 70 lbs I think that’s the most I’ve done. I could possibly do 80. I love classic 5x5 routines, they are just strength.

Today we did arms, I’ve been doing partial dips and some other things, a lot of shoulder mobility work.

Anyway up at 5am tomorrow glad the weekend is coming. I should have a quieter week next week, The good news is I started my new projects (3 with one client), met the three teams, it went well. Getting started is always the hardest part for me. Have to come up with a delivery plan now, timetable, etc it will take a couple weeks. Once things are rolling I can relax lol.
  • theslightedgeforever
    @trooworld We all know what to do to lose weight. It's the doing it consisently that is the hard part.

@cbabie Glad you figured out what's wrong. Grandma's know best. Did you ever call and ask your doc about the treadmill?

@joannadavison I'm perimenopausal too. Either that or pregnant. lol I'll take perimenopause for 500, Alex. I hope your headache is gone and you'll get in some nice gym time after work.

@its_cleo Nice job on your squats and other weight exercises. At least you've been eating healthy food this week. Have you been hitting your daily target on the drinking?

I went to bookclub tonight and ordered the chicken teriyaki with veggies and a fruit salad. So another successful day of carb cycling. It was a green day and I enjoyed my 3 pieces of french toast very much for breakfast.

• trooworld
    @cbabie I don't know what roseola is, but I hope the baby recovers soon. You certainly do have good intuition/good knowledge! Wow, 52 WPM with a stiff hand, that's impressive! Good luck with the interview, I hope it went well. Nice to hear from you.

@joannadavison Your poor daughter! That would make me shake, too. The worst is it's an invisible illness that, unless you actually have, not many people understand. re: docs comments...I can see you totally get me, I would be so frustrated by that. It's like they don't think we've done any research at all. :/ Maybe before the days of the internet, their comments MIGHT have been helpful, maybe. Ugh.

@its_cleo Yes, it does! And you are right, he didn't even address my anxiety (I guess because he knows I see a psychiatrist, but still he could have addressed it!). I hope things settle down with your work/that you come up with your delivery plan soon.

@theslightedgeforever EXACTLY!!! Almost every overweight person on the planet knows how to lose weight. I didn't need the doctor to tell me that. I just wanted to tell HIM that. lol I should have said, but how do I be consistent? Carb cycling seems to be agreeing with you.

Hi gals. I'm so $##$*%ng glad it's Friday! lol Yesterday, I volunteered for a research project at work. I was asked if I wanted to do it alone, or if I wanted to work with someone. I said I wouldn't mind working with someone (it's a 3-week project and quite a bit of work). Well, I should have said, "It depends on WHO." The absolute last person I wanted to be stuck with volunteered to do the project. :( Now, I've got to work with this person for 3 weeks. Their research skills are crap and they want to over-email the internal client questions prior to delivery, which is NOT what we want to do. It's okay to ask some questions all at once, but what this person wants to do is going to annoy the client. It's going to be a long haul and it's going to raise my anxiety.

EMPOWERED.