NON WW & WW NEWBIES, OUR NEW LIFE, THE START OF SOMETHING WONDERFUL

Options

Replies

• theslightedgeforever
    theslightedgeforever Posts: 2,217 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    @trooworld Make good choices as best you can while away from home. Or if there aren't any good choices, eat half. We'll be here when you return.

@joannadavison There's still time to lose some weight til Dec 7. You sound so busy doing things for everyone else. What one thing can you do to pamper yourself this week?

@cbabie Both 13 month old and dh needs to learn they can't have your total attention all the time. Seriously. Put yourself first for a small time each day Even if you have to break up the time on the treadmill into segments you do that. They can sit 15 min and occupy themselves. Playpens are wonderful. For dh too. :smiley: Put on some headphones if your treadmill is in the same room as them so you don't hear them. Better if you are not in the same room. Lock the door. Imagine if you had a stroke from all this stress or worse die. They would have to figure out how to occupy themselves without you then. My friend has had 5 strokes since July. This last one was a big one. She can no longer speak and is paralyzed on her right side. She just got moved out of ICU a couple of days ago. It can happen to any of us if we aren't proactive.

@Trishastime Welcome back. We missed you. That's great your ankle is on the mend. Back to your routine so you can get off that little extra weight.

@Retiredandlovingit Anything pumpkin is good. I once tried to make a pumpkin pie from a real pumpkin. Not doing that again. Canned pumpkin for me too. So what are you doing these days for exercise?

I stayed OP regarding food and got in a 50 min walk with dh at the mall and then a 17 min walk to finish up my steps for the day.
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    Options

@its_cleo, I will talk about the group in my comments below. All those vacation ideas sound wonderful! It doesn’t hurt anything to pretend that you can afford whatever you want. It’s just when reality hits that you have to be practical. ;)

@cbabie, your mom had my kind of humor! :D I will post the link to the challenge group for you to look at. No pressure if you decide not to join and totally NO pressure if you do join. It’s just another way to stay connected and get some support. <3

@theslightedgeforever, I hear you about having enough groups! I had to cut way back on my online groups and learn to just stick with those I love and what works for me. Of course, we are NEVER giving up this group! ;)

@trooworld, We will miss you!!! Have a great week. <3

@joannadavison, if you are not getting enough sleep, drinking enough water, or managing your stress that will definitely play a huge part in not being able to lose weight. Can you try to figure out how you can at least try to do better? You can drink more water, right!! :)

@TrishasTime, Welcome back!! <3 So, glad you had a good time on your vacation. You will make a great addition to my group!

Good morning! I only have a few more minutes so I need to make this brief. I’m teaching in children’s church this morning and we are doing Jonah, so I have to go make a giant whale for a game we are playing. :blush:

The challenge group that I'm to is called Fit 2 Fat and you can access the link below and read about it. I just became the leader of the team Mission Slimpossibles and there are some really great people on there. It’s a super laid back, no pressure kind of group. We do weekly challenges between all the groups and also within the individual groups. I just started a 10-day No Sugar challenge this morning. Some people will join in on the challenge and others won’t. I don’t do every challenge that comes along either. We do try to encourage a daily check-in where we say how we are doing with our calories, water, and exercise. It really helps to keep us accountable. We also do weekly weigh-ins and post those. If you are interested, please join and just say you want to be on my team. If you have any questions just ask. :)

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/114605-fat-2-fit-weight-loss-challenge-and-support-group
  • JoDavo66
    JoDavo66 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    @cbabie yes hydration. I am trying to remember to track water/peach iced tea (sugar free, home made, decaf). Then I can see my downfall times. Just keep plodding re:wrist, you will get there. I honestly thought I was going to be permanently disabled a few years back, the shoulder took so long & physio only got me so far. My eldest broke her wrist 4 years ago & she's struggled with press ups/push ups for ages- just starting to get full use back this last year. Baby steps & keep going xxx.

@TrishasTime the holiday break sounds great. Nothing like a bit of R&R. A few lbs better than a stone (hangs head!!).

@theslightedgeforever - the gym is my me time. I've had total Netflix binge yesterday, skived church this morning so DH & I could get out together without kids. Got me some iron tablets & this pm youngest & I baking eldest birthday cake. Then I'm having an "Arrow" fest while I iron (Steven Amell bit of fitness inspiration & eye candy 😉). Monday night: meal out for eldest's birthday, Wednesday after PT will go home before school run & have spa bubble bath sans kids in house), next Sat DH off work for his birthday & planning trip to North York Moors Railway - old steam strains, one station was Hogsmede in Harry Potter & another used in "Dad's Army" film (British Conedy based on classic TV series which has never aged about a Home Guard unit during WW2). So lots of nice things too. I just have to be uber organised at work not to bring anything home this week.

My diet goals- keep within calorie allowance & pull back a bit for where I went over, hydration- do it & track it.
    Gym goals- Wed & Thurs- HIIT for fat burning & stretches to help my back!!
  • its_cleo
    its_cleo Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Well I was doing really well all week and blew it yesterday. Ordered a pizza and ate half of it, on top of some other stuff. So I’m way over calories. My weight is up this morning, although tbh it was up earlier in the week too, not sure why.

So onwards and onwards. Sundays are the start of a new week for me.

@RetiredandLovingit yeah I could see picking pumpkins would be quite a workout. When I did some gardening early this summer I really felt it.

@trooworld take care on your trip, sounds like a lot. Hope your hair cut goes well- yes it always feels good when it’s done. Usually I wait until my hair is a complete disaster before going lol.

@theslightedgeforever yeah pakoras are like chicken nuggets I guess. I’m hoping we’ll make samosas too. ---I’m sorry to hear about your friend.

@joannadavison yeah sleep, hydration, and stress are big factors. Stress can’t be controlled I guess, but focusing on hydration is good. My trainer is always after me about hydration. –It looks like you have great goals!

@cbabie wrists are very slow to heal. I tweaked my wrist just from doing too many planks 6 months ago and I still can’t really put weight on it for more than a minute or two. Hope you get some good news on it though.

@TrishasTime nice to see you back, glad you had a good time.

@TeresaW1020 I think I'll join that group. I noticed it before when they opened registrations in the past and was really curious. So I assume they will open registrations for Oct? So I will try to join then and ask to be in your group if it's not too crowded.

My weight- last fall when I came back from a vacation it was 165. My goal is 140 but can't seem to get there- I know why, bc I cannot consistently keep my calorie count down. I have diligently tracked for months and I can see that clearly. The lowest I had it is down to 152, and now it has bounced up to 155-157. I always heard too it is harder when you're down to the last 20 lbs. A lot of my goals are lifestyle changes and I've done better with some of those.

Anyway, maybe joining the group will be fun and help me get over the hurdle.
  • TeresaW1020
    Options
    its_cleo wrote: »

@TeresaW1020 I think I'll join that group. I noticed it before when they opened registrations in the past and was really curious. So I assume they will open registrations for Oct? So I will try to join then and ask to be in your group if it's not too crowded.

My weight- last fall when I came back from a vacation it was 165. My goal is 140 but can't seem to get there- I know why, bc I cannot consistently keep my calorie count down. I have diligently tracked for months and I can see that clearly. The lowest I had it is down to 152, and now it has bounced up to 155-157. I always heard too it is harder when you're down to the last 20 lbs. A lot of my goals are lifestyle changes and I've done better with some of those.

Anyway, maybe joining the group will be fun and help me get over the hurdle.

Yes, there should be open registrations on the challenge forum for October this coming week. Just say when you join that you want to be on Team Mission Slimpossibles. B) You are right that the closer you are to goal the harder it's supposed to be. Or so I've heard! ;)

• its_cleo
    Options
    Ok great I'll keep an eye out for it!
  • renaegry
    renaegry Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Good day all. Haven’t been in the chats for ages. September has been so busy. I am constantly on the go. Today was the first day I haven’t had to leave the house. So got caught up on some house cleaning. And cleaned the windows and washed off our bottom siding. Now treating myself to a couple beer while supper is a cooking. Get to take a break from morning football practices for a few days. My son got a very mild concussion on Saturday. So taking a few rest days. Weight really hasn’t moved. Been getting around 2 weight days in and 2 days of walks or jogs. Aiming for October to be a way better month. Would love to lose at least 5 or more lbs before we go to Vegas in November.

Hope everyone is doing well. Will try to go back and get caught up in the chats. Will try to check in daily. No excuses right. Lol.
  • TrishasTime
    TrishasTime Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone

@RetiredAndLovingIt - Most shops here do not sell pumpkin in a can - but I found one that is imported from USA. I was not aware of it. I used to do the Halloween treats etc, but have stopped that for the last few years.

@cbabie - It seems to be me that you are the anchor of the house as it with most of us. However if you get sick, they would have to rely on having some independence. I agree with your sis, you need some time to yourself each day - even if it is for 15 min. Hydration - thanks for the timely message, I was just thinking about that this morning

@Teresaw1020 - Will go and read the challenge and let you know. Hope you have a great Sunday

@joannadavison - I broke my wrist in March and still can not lift the corner of our mattress when making our bed. nor do I have a lot of strength, it is coming back slowly. I can definitely tell when it is getting cold. Love your goals

@its_cleo - Life happens and I am sure the weight gain will come off tomorrow. Remember it is only if you keep up the unhealthy eating that the weight gain will stay. Hope to see you in Teresa's team soon. I joined the group / Teresa team yesterday and I am waiting for the registration as well

@renaegry - Hope your son is okay. What a very busy day

Today is my first walk to try out the ankle - do not intend to go at a fast pace, just checking out what I can do.
    I am on holidays for another 7 days (woohoo)

Take care
  • JoDavo66
    Options
    @it_cleo I'm trying.!!! 🤣

@TeresaW1020 I don't seem to have had any challeges. How do they work? I'm sure mine constantly blank- "there are no challenges at this time".

@renaergy hope your son is OK. I can totally relate to things being crazy busy. Make sure you get some time.

@TrishasTime re:wrist I understand, it's totally frustrating. Just keep going- sure but steady. Have you had soft tissue checked out?

Well stressful day over. DH took my cousin to airport & nearly missed flight due to horrific RTA on motorway- apparently 6 hours of delays at one point. They left 4 hours for just over 2 hour drive!!!! Took niece out with us for eldest's birthday. Went to Nando's- only 2nd time I've been but free water (hydration) and the veggie burgers are good selection- went for pitta bread. Had some Ben & Jerry's for dessert at home & there's birthday cake too- but that's it- tonight only. Despite my 2 "naughty" days with inspectors last week I've lost 3lb- very pleased
  • TrishasTime
    Options
    Good morning everyone

@joannadavison - Congrats on the loss :) I see that you are back on track

I went for a walk yesterday, did 3 km at 14 min a km , so not very fast at all. Pain is in the top of the foot and ankle, but I have rubbed an anti-inflammatory cream in and will see how that goes. Still going out again today, but it is a shorter route. I would rather do that, then nothing at all

Take care
  • renaegry
    Options
    Good evening all. Just finished a Fitbod workout working mostly back and triceps. Then finished off with some chest presses. Hope to get a run done in the morning. Depends on weather. If it’s crappy out will try to get it in while my daughter is at gymnastics.

@TrishasTime Son is doing good. No symptoms since 20 min after hit. So he is going to his junior game tom after school and we will go back to senior practice wed morning. Hope your ankle is doing well. Make sure you don’t over do it and take it slow.

@joannadavison See above about son. way to go on your weight loss.
  • cbabie
    cbabie Posts: 1,563 Member
    Options
    Morning all,

I am going to try for the treadmill this morning. My 13month old is watching Sesame Street..she loves it..drinking her sippy cup. So I am taking a min to write in here. I stopped my fasting, so now I have to "work" the plan. LOL
    Thanks for all the comments about my wrist. Yes I am a very impatient person. :) . WE had tornado warnings yesterday....we NEVER have any thing like that...it was weird. My home alarm says Tornado warning until 4pm..I felt like I was back in IL.

@theslightedgeforever Yes I hear you and I know about the stokes...remember I had to have help to get dad off the floor..LOL. I am used to your nagging...:)

@TrishasTime I am so glad you are back on the boards. I missed you. I didn't know you broke your wrist..How did I miss that? I am so sorry. Glad you enjoyed your trip. I would love to sit and read and do nothing else and have no outside contact...LOL

@joannadavison great on your loss..I love veggie burgers!!!

@its_cleo You can and will do this. I understand about being frustrated with no loss.. Yea I would never try planks..LOL . more power to you!! :)

@TeresaW1020 Thanks for all the encouragement. I will check out your group and let you know. That sounds like fun with the Whale!!! I miss being involved. The church transition thing has been hard too. I am trying to find a home church and get involved again.

I hope I didn't miss anyone.

Cbabie
  • its_cleo
    Options
    @TrishasTime congrats on walking a little bit and pacing yourself with it. I agree, I think it is better to move a little bit, but just be cautious with it.

@joannadavison congrats with the weight loss!

@renaegry I love chest presses. I don't them a lot bc I need more exercises that pull my shoulders back then push forward ie rows are better for me bc of my posture issues. But I love chest presses occasionally.

@cbabie wow I hope you don't get a tornado! I love Sesame Street. I wish I had kids so I could watch it now. I did actually buy a season of the old Muppets show a few years ago- the original one.

Well I am on track for calories but crappy mood. Just a lot of anxiety last couple of days. And then today found out 3 people in my office are laid off. They were admin, and I'm not but it's a little nervewracking. I also still don't have a boss. I think I mentioned my boss quit last March and they never replaced him. so I know it sounds weird, but I don;t really have a boss right now, although there is someone approving my vacation. I was supposed to get a bonus before the end of the year but don;t think I will bc no one will approve it. It has taken my colleague almost 6 months to get hers.

I think they are restructuring us but I don;t know when, I expect November, but I've just been waiting and waiting.

Anyway. I'll be ok but crappy mood last couple days.

Calories on target. Had lunch out today but just had some chicken skewers, with soup and salad. I don;t think it was too many calories

Had my cooking class last night. One thing I learned- curry apparently is not Indian at all, it was invented by the British.
  • JoDavo66
    Options
    @TrishasTime well done on getting out to walk. Time doesn't matter it's the trying & steps. Do what you can to get moving without too much pain.

@renaergy glad your son ok. What's Fitbod?

@cbabie love Sesame Street. The Count who likes to count!!!! Where are you to be surprised with tornado warnings? Hope it doesn't happen. My US Bro-in-law from IL originally- heard some of his tornado stories!

@its_cleo sorry you're struggling with anxiety at the moment, doesn't sound like work is helping- uncertainty not nice. I knew Tikka Masala was invented for british market- didn't know about the rest.

Tired today- been a long one. Full day at work, which was more challenging than usual, then across the county to take my niece around a prospective secondary school. Pleasantly surprised by it- I would send my kids there- but we don't live near!!
    Doesn't help that my youngest has been very generous sharing her cold. Eldest, off today & I'm just hoping I can get through the week.
  • renaegry
    Options
    Quick check in. Just got a walk in. Hope to get a run in tom morning while son is at football practice. Then it will be work for a few hours then I’m driving for my daughters junior volleyball they have a game tom. So won’t be accomplishing much

@joannadavison Fitbod is a weight lifting workout app. You tell it what equipment you all have etc and it creates workouts for you telling you how many sets reps and weight. Absolutely love it.

@its_cleo I love chest presses as well. I can’t lift much but have increased my weight by 10lbs since starting. (My son laughs when he sees how much I’m lifting lol) I do a lot of rows, triceps and biceps as well. But after a workout if there are no chest presses in it I like to do a set of 3 of 8 reps.
  • TrishasTime
    Options
    Good morning everyone

@cbabie - When I do things, I do them in style, I broke my left ankle and right wrist when I fell on March 15th, so I really do fell for you. How did the treadmill go?

@renaegry - Glad you got some movement in - even though it was not what you planned.

@joannadavison - Here in Aus, you have to go to the primary / high school that is in your catchment (area), unless you choose private schools. Is it the same over there?

@its_cleo - I am sorry to here that you have anxiety, job uncertainty is on the top of the stress factors list. Ii have just finished going through that and know I am okay for another couple of years, so I do feel for you. Try to take care as the outcomes are out of your control(harder to do I know)

I have been for a walk 3 days in a row, the puppies are happy to get out with me - it is normally DH. Eating is under control, still doing IF and also watching carbs and calories

Hello to @theslightedgeforever, @TeresaW1020 , @retiredandlovingit, @gemwolf110 and anyone else I missed

Take care
  • theslightedgeforever
    theslightedgeforever Posts: 2,217 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    @teresaw1020 I like the name slimpossibles. That's cute.

@joannadavison My dd got to meet Steven Amell and get a selfie with him. There was some festival she went to. The world has to shut down and be quiet when Arrow is on around her. No breathing allowed. Your food and exercise goals look good. Nice weight loss. Woohoo! Which part of IL is your US bil from?

@its_cleo Maybe you were retaining some fluid and that's why your weight was up before if you've been staying within your boundaries and exercising. I've been up for 5 days. No reason why but my period just started finally. It's been 3 months almost. So I'm hoping THAT's why cause I know I've been inside my boundaries and I just started back exercising. Plus I've had the munchies really bad for the past 3 days but I did not give in. There was a lot of self-talk going on. So you made a mistake with the pizza, just move on and back to your regularly scheduled program. I think people have a hard time getting to goal because of self-sabotage. They are afraid if they make it and don't maintain then they've failed. So if you never get there....... Another factor is people try to lose it quickly and then it slows down so it appears harder. As the body weight drops, the need for extra calories drops. A person can only go so low on their calories. That's why I like my plan of eat as much as I can get away with and still lose for right now. lol I never thought about the posture issue for the strength training exercises. My shoulders pull forward from sitting so much...so they say.... Besides rows, what other other exercises would be good? Interesting on the curry. Uncertainty at work can be hard. The waiting game. But remember worrying about things we cannot control only hurts ourselves and could cause us to overeat. So I'm learning to concentrate on what happens today and then deal with problems if they arise. Most of the stuff I worry about has not come to pass. It just takes up space in my head. Maybe if they get rid of everyone else, they will make you the boss. :) Find the silver lining.

@renaegry Sorry about your son. My little one fell off a golf cart back in the day and got a mild concussion. I bet he hates to rest and wants to get right back on the field. Yes October will be a better month and we've got 5 days to finish out this month strong. You're right. No excuses. I wear a mantra bracelet that says that

@trishastime Glad to see the ankle is better so you can do some walking on it. Have you thought of wearing an ankle wrap? Have no idea what you call them over there. lol I have flareups of pain on the top of my foot and when I wrap my ankle it seems to help with my walking and the pain.

@cbabie Did you get on the treadmill? So back to working your plan.

Big hello to the rest of you.

I've been OP past 2 days but no exercise. Back to it tomorrow.
  • TeresaW1020
    Options
    @renaegry, glad that your son didn’t suffer anything more serious with his football injury. That must have been very scary for you! Are you looking forward to summer being over or will your fall be just as busy? :)

@TrishasTime, I’m glad to read that your walks are going well. Just take it easy on yourself as you continue to improve and use it. What are you doing for your next holiday week? :)

@joannadavison, the challenge group I belong to is mostly another group like this one, except we do small weekly or monthly challenges to help us stay motivated and we do daily check-ins and weekly weight recordings. The challenge should open any day now for registration and when it does, I will post the link, if you are interested in joining. No pressure!!! B)

@cbabie, So did you get on that treadmill? Wow, tornado warnings are scary! I once lived in Oklahoma and remember them well. In 1986 my mom, brother, and I had our car thrown in a ditch from a tornado as we were driving home from the mall. Thankfully a very nice elderly couple stopped and gave us a ride home. It was terrifying! I hope you can find a home church soon. I will be praying that you do! <3

@its_cleo, uggghhh your work environment sounds stressful. :# I hope that the restructuring will be favorable for you and that you will end up with a wonderful boss. Good job on keeping your calories on target. That is interesting about the curry and makes sense to me now. I was watching Master Chef and Gordon was going on and on about how he loved eating curry as a child that his mom would make. :)

@theslightedgeforever, I like the name too! There are six teams in the group and the names are all great. Along with my Mission Slimpossibles we have Workout Warriors, Trimstones, Weight No More, and Waist Aways. Of course, none of those names are as clever as your own username. ;)

Good morning ladies! I am so mad at myself because I forgot to weigh in this morning before drinking two big glasses of water and taking my morning vitamins. Uggghhh, I will do it tomorrow and on the bright side maybe I can lose a little more today. I started this 10-day no sugar challenge four days and I've been doing great. I haven't even had any artificial sugar! So, of course, what happens last night at ladies Bible study but that one of the women comes in and plops down the most delicious looking dark chocolate cake! :o Chocolate cake is my favorite food on the planet!! <3 But...I didn't touch one bit of that cake and just watched some of them enjoy their slices. I was happy that I could easily resist but I did call her one of Satan's minions. >:):D Today, I will clean my house and mostly concentrating on sweeping and mopping all the hardwoods. That should give me a good workout. :)
  • cbabie
    cbabie Posts: 1,563 Member
    Options
    Morning all!
    I did get on the treadmill yesterday. I also had PT and my hand and wrist hurt all night long. I know it means mobility and I have to deal, but wow..she stretched me hard, but I needed it.

@theslightedgeforever Yes 25 min on the treadmill

@TeresaW1020 Thank you for praying..chocolate cake!! Great job!!! I looked at your site, just not sure I would be consistent. I am still thinking about it, but don't wait on me..LOL . I am trying to cut things out of my life right now..I always say yes and I have to focus or I will always be like this. Like I put my school on hold to get be ordained..6 months to get "me" back.

@TrishasTime congrats on the walk, and sorry that somehow I missed your wrist. the treadmill was great!!

@joannadavison LOL my kids grew up o Sesame Street..AND Mr Rodgers. I live in AZ, we pretty much don't get much..but we do get huge dust storms and monsoon (rain and winds) but usually it goes around our house..LOL

@its_cleo I am so sorry about your work environment. I have been in a work environment that was totally unhealthy and I think I am still emotionally a little out of whack from it. I hope things get better soon.

Cbabie
  • TrishasTime
    Options
    Good morning everyone

@cbabie - Sorry to hear about your wrist hurting, do you have to do home stretches as well ? I am glad you are taking time for yourself by saying no to things. Ordained? I did not know you are an ordained minister

@TeresaW1020 - I like the fact you always look on the bright side (so refreshing). So proud of you for the chocolate cake.

@theslightedgeforever - Does it not suck when you think everything has stopped and then it makes another final hurrah! Can you please provide a link of the ankle wrap that you mentioned

Well I am proud to say that I have achieved at least 10K steps in the past 3 days. I keep fiddling with my P/F/C amounts on MFP, so where on a day I was under, I am sometimes over. I did not realise that as you change the P/F/C nutrients, it drives the calorie allowance for the day up or down until after I had changed it. Anyhow what ever the calorie count is I know I am eating better

Take care