Who says plus size girls don't have curves?

Options

Replies

• SteveStedge1
    SteveStedge1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Is the term "curvy" the first adjective a woman uses to describer herself who is at her goal weight?

Or is it more likely to be used by someone nowhere near her goal?

The popular meaning of a word is ascertained by who is using it and in what context and how often.

When it gets used over and over again in an incorrect way then it will mean the new usage.

Like when people talk about their throughput on their data connection they use the word "bandwidth" which has absolutely ****-all to do with speed but defines the literal width of the frequency bands the signals travel on.

So everyone talks about "bandwidth" as "speed" and pretty soon everyone just uses it as "speed" because its the popular meaning.

Now go back and read that first sentence again...
  • BenchPressingCats
    BenchPressingCats Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    Lovely curves! Here is my curvy pic :)
    IMG_0471_zpsef2818fa.jpg

ETA: I am 5'4 and currently 203lbs

Lurve your shoes!
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Heck yeah you can be big and still have curves! Heres a picture from last year at my heaviest, I may have been 345 lbs but I definitely had the good kind of curves!
    160e81y.jpg

I fixed it. ^_^
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Nothin better than plus size girls with curves!
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I liked to think that I did, lol.
    215-220 lbs
    5'3

78c747b3-66b7-4262-acf0-8e42077381fd_zpse853cfbb.jpg
  • MissTattoo
    Options
    Is the term "curvy" the first adjective a woman uses to describer herself who is at her goal weight?

Or is it more likely to be used by someone nowhere near her goal?

The popular meaning of a word is ascertained by who is using it and in what context and how often.

When it gets used over and over again in an incorrect way then it will mean the new usage.

Like when people talk about their throughput on their data connection they use the word "bandwidth" which has absolutely ****-all to do with speed but defines the literal width of the frequency bands the signals travel on.

So everyone talks about "bandwidth" as "speed" and pretty soon everyone just uses it as "speed" because its the popular meaning.

Now go back and read that first sentence again...

I think both can use it. If you have an hourglass at 250 and an hourglass at 150...aren't you still considered curvy? I'm an hourglass at 288 and I'll be an hourglass at 250. I've always been an hourglass. Can I not say that I'm curvy until I get to my goal of 180?
  • MissTattoo
    Options
    Very nice ladies!
  • teddiebare
    teddiebare Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Curves at 188 lbs - What!? :)

MyBody_zps999e4504.jpg
  • T0FatToB3S1ck
    T0FatToB3S1ck Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I always thought that curvy meant plus size 0_o
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Lets here it for the curvy women woot woot!
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    You can be plus-sized and curvy and you can be underweight and curvy.

The problem is when "curvy" becomes a euphamism for "overweight." They're two separate things.
    If you think that's actually a "problem" then I'd say you might want to consider the meaning of the word a bit more closely.
    Who cares what a person looks like or weighs, if they feel better calling themselves curvy, what does it matter?
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Lovely curves! Here is my curvy pic :)
    IMG_0471_zpsef2818fa.jpg

ETA: I am 5'4 and currently 203lbs

203lbs WHERE?????? What I'd give to have your curves lady! - I have alot of extra in the front (and not talking bout my boobs either!
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Let those who wish to use the term "Curvy" use it how they like. It's not hurting anyone and if it makes someone feel better about themselves, so be it. No, not everyone is curvy that says they are. Some heavy gals are more squarish and some skinny gals try to stick out their butt to appear curvy, no matter. In this age of low self esteem for so many people, who are the rest of us to drag them down. I do like to think of anyone truly curvy as having that hourglass shape and I have to say I'm glad I have it back now that I lost weight (I used to be more squarish when so heavy! I used to say spongebob squarepants! LOL!) My pics are in my profile, when MFP makes it easier to post pics then I will post more pics in threads. How hard is it to make a fricken button MFP!!!???
    :flowerforyou:
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    i always thought the opposite- plus size girls DO have all the curves. I've been wrong this whole time lol.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    288 isn't a typo. ^_^ I started at 315. I'm 5'11.

A friend of a friend made a snide comment because a guy in a bar called me curvy and this nasty girl said, "Curvy is just a word that fat girls use to make themselves feel better." O_O BUt it's not just at the bar. I see it everywhere on the internet. People who say plus size models aren't curvy and they shouldn't use it. I've read threads from people who say that they are sick of people who are overweight saying they are curvy. Even if they have a natural hourglass shape while being overweight, they say they aren't curvy because they are overweight. So I wanted to create a thread for all the curvy plus size women out there who love their bodies!

I'm also 5'11 and started at 309. I was always pretty curvy. It's the hour-glass shape. I'm still much happier with my curves now than then. They are much smoother than they used to be.

Tall women with curves are pretty much curvy until we start getting up into the mobility-impacting weights.
  • MissTattoo
    Options
    Curves at 188 lbs - What!? :)

MyBody_zps999e4504.jpg

oh my beautiful!!!
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Whether thick or thin, women have curves.

Nothing wrong with that, but I have never seen anyone say "eewwwww" t a curvy woman so I guess I'm missing the point of the thread.
  • gelendestrasse
    Options
    Works for me. There's a lot to be said for muscle tone.
  • MissTattoo
    Options
    288 isn't a typo. ^_^ I started at 315. I'm 5'11.

A friend of a friend made a snide comment because a guy in a bar called me curvy and this nasty girl said, "Curvy is just a word that fat girls use to make themselves feel better." O_O BUt it's not just at the bar. I see it everywhere on the internet. People who say plus size models aren't curvy and they shouldn't use it. I've read threads from people who say that they are sick of people who are overweight saying they are curvy. Even if they have a natural hourglass shape while being overweight, they say they aren't curvy because they are overweight. So I wanted to create a thread for all the curvy plus size women out there who love their bodies!

I'm also 5'11 and started at 309. I was always pretty curvy. It's the hour-glass shape. I'm still much happier with my curves now than then. They are much smoother than they used to be.

Tall women with curves are pretty much curvy until we start getting up into the mobility-impacting weights.

I got to 315 and was like enough is enough. WTF are you doing? I'm just glad to be under 300. Now...if I can get under 280 I will be even happier.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    (Some) lean girls have curves too! Stick straight girls are sexy too! We all carry our weight in different ways.