Who says plus size girls don't have curves?

Options

Replies

• mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Hey Marylin Monroe was a large size 16 (US 14) and her curves were awesome!

&^%$%^&

NO! NO! NO!

http://www.vintageswank.com/sizing.html

This is a size chart from a vintage retailer. In clothing made pre-1970s a size 12 had a 25 inch waist. If Marylin was a 14 then her measurements were somewhere in the ballpark of 32-26-35. Very small. This is not to say anything about anyone's size, as REAL WOMEN come in all sizes.(as others have said) However, it is not accurate to compare vintage sizes to current day sizes.

This ^^ "Vanity sizing" started at least 25 years ago.

Funny anecdote … Growing up, almost all of my dresses were sewn for me by my grandmother (she was an expert seamstress, these were better than most store-bought stuff). Pattern printers still use the old, "vintage" sizing for their clothes, so at 13 years old or so I was about size 12 or 14 in patterns.

I signed up to do a church activity where the teens were helping model wedding dresses that had been worn by older congregation members ("older" to a teen … so probably in their 30's; those who still could wear their dresses did). I can just imagine the youth leaders looking at my sign up and wondering how on earth I was listing my size at 14 (since, yes, by modern standards I would have been about a 6).
  • ShrinkingLauren88
    ShrinkingLauren88 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    lookin' good ladies!!!
    I'll post mine later! :)
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Haters, Ms. Tattoo. The flat butt, flat chested girls are just jealous, LOL. Nobody want a bone, but a dog. Keep your head up, and thanks for the shout out to us Curvy Girls :).

OUCH!!!

Please, let's stop the body shaming on BOTH sides of the aisle!!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Haters, Ms. Tattoo. The flat butt, flat chested girls are just jealous, LOL. Nobody want a bone, but a dog. Keep your head up, and thanks for the shout out to us Curvy Girls :).

ZZPCwEN.gif
  • DeeBrownBaker
    Options
    awesome post OP!
    I found curves when I lost 100 lbs... still have 80 to go but I am loving the journey!
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Im curvy :)
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options

body shaming. well done.

Bowie-disapproves.gif
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    In the words of Josefina Lopez "Real Women Have Curves."

No. Real women come in ALL shapes and sizes.

I am pretty uncurvy....... so I am not a real woman? I might sue my doc for the 6 times I had to give birth then

your profile pic looks pretty curvy to me!

There isn't anything wrong with not being curvy. It's beautiful to be healthy and fit whether that means you're curvy, straight, thick, thin, bottom heavy, top heavy, or hourglass shaped.

*Fit does not equal thin.
  • SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options

Can't we all just get along?
  • hannamarie88
    hannamarie88 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    You look incredible! Celebrate your curves! Psh. Those people that said that are jerks.

I'm 46 bust/40 waist/47 hips -- Almost a perfect hourglass. And I'm 5'6" and 249 pounds (as of my last measurements). I've always liked the fact that I'm curvy. I have a waist that goes in -- a la curve.

Mean people need to get lives though. For seriously.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Real women have curves. Or they don't.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options

All body types can be beautiful! FAT, THIN, CURVY, STRAIGHT, THICK ......All REAL women who have every right to ROCK what God gave them!
  • seilidhe
    seilidhe Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Hey Marylin Monroe was a large size 16 (US 14) and her curves were awesome!

&^%$%^&

NO! NO! NO!

http://www.vintageswank.com/sizing.html

This is a size chart from a vintage retailer. In clothing made pre-1970s a size 12 had a 25 inch waist. If Marylin was a 14 then her measurements were somewhere in the ballpark of 32-26-35. Very small. This is not to say anything about anyone's size, as REAL WOMEN come in all sizes.(as others have said) However, it is not accurate to compare vintage sizes to current day sizes.

This ^^ "Vanity sizing" started at least 25 years ago.

Funny anecdote … Growing up, almost all of my dresses were sewn for me by my grandmother (she was an expert seamstress, these were better than most store-bought stuff). Pattern printers still use the old, "vintage" sizing for their clothes, so at 13 years old or so I was about size 12 or 14 in patterns.

I signed up to do a church activity where the teens were helping model wedding dresses that had been worn by older congregation members ("older" to a teen … so probably in their 30's; those who still could wear their dresses did). I can just imagine the youth leaders looking at my sign up and wondering how on earth I was listing my size at 14 (since, yes, by modern standards I would have been about a 6).

I had a couple of "prairie skirts" that I wore back in the late 70s. I believe they were size 9 or 11. Possibly a 13. I was about 135 lbs back then. I gave them to my daughter, who at 5' 1/2" tall and 105 pounds wearing about a size 1 petite, is a far cry from what I was then, and they fit her nearly perfectly (except length since I'm 7" taller than she is).

Sigh... wish I could call myself "curvy" - I'm pretty much straight up and down. But I'm working on it. :)
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    That's right, and I'm a man saying this... *Ahem*

Fine, is Fine. Thank you.
  • Cutting4life
    Cutting4life Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Big girls need love too
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    OP you have a lovely "pin up girl" figure!

I'm a work in progress.. Down 100 pounds and just now starting to get my waist back!
    7119301_5052.jpg

....aaaaannnd looks like SOMEONE'S finally starting to shape up her booty too!:tongue:
    7119301_842.jpg
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Body shapes confuse me.
  • Jewel0124
    Jewel0124 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You're 288?? Damn you look good. I'm 238 and I don't think I look anywhere near as good as you do! U go Girl!!:smile:
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    REAL women do not all come in the same shape. And any shape can be attractive. I see petite women here with gentle curves that are sexy (Adini, supah, stacy, etc), curvier women that are sexy (CatrinaH, rachelj, glutesandabs, etc) and more. Different body shapes are a good thing.
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    Is 288 a typo? From that shot I would guess you are much closer to 200. Super cute picture!

I couldn't agree more! You look way less! ;)