WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2016

Options

Replies

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Peach - The fires have really been a problem here. A couple of them are right around us (Rocky Face is in the Dalton area). It has looked better the last couple of days but the wind shifted today so now it is very smoky!! People, even healthy ones, are advised to stay indoors. Makes it impossible to have nice, autumn walks now that it is finally cool enough!. Thanks for being so welcoming.

Hi, Christina. I am a Georgia girl as well. I am more in the Athens area. Welcome!

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Janetr okc - Turkeys are 'stupid' ... really, really stupid; they'd drown if it rained and they were out (at least domesticated white turkeys will). My great uncle raised them and when it rained he had to go round them up and put them into a shelter. Said they would stand in the rain, turn their beaks up and open up. They don't or can't fly. Wild Turkey have eyesight that is 'unbelievable'. That can see the tail of a squirrel twitch through the woods and will gobble for the others to 'be prepared to run'. They also 'roost' in the trees. An owl will make them 'gobble' so that is a call that a hunter will make to try to get them to do so.

It is the deer that 'hide' during hunting season; until the 'rut', when they run around looking for a 'little' like teenagers 'in heat'. If they dart out in the road in front of you ... do NOT swerve to try to miss them. Your chances are greater to survive if you just 'hit' them rather than swerving off the road and hitting an embankment. You might get plastered by your airbags. My hairdresser's wife did this and she's been in a 'nursing home' for nearly 2 years. Swerved off the road, hit a culvert, flipped over several times, went across to the other side of road, hit and embankment, turned over, and skidded 300 feet into an oak tree. I think it is almost 'instinctive' to want to swerve; but, don't do it. Just like - don't slam on brakes if you hydroplane on water or thin ice.

I lucked out today! Earlier in the week I took my laptop to the battery place because it was still plugged in; but, had a message that read: Battery low 12% - got there with a 'black' screen and they plugged it up and it came on. Normally, it start charging the moment it is plugged in. She told me it was working, they did not have a battery nor did they have a charger. Today, I take it to Office Depot (along with the laptop pad with a fan in it). I had only had it maybe 6 weeks, 8 at the most. He looked at it and said that the connection was bent, tried to straighten it; then brought over a 'new' laptop pad with a fan over and plugged it up, both fans worked; he got a 'new' plug-in for the computer, it worked. I got them 'as replacement parts' ... no charge! Boy, was I 'shocked' and 'thankful' as well. Worth the extra trip into town. Now, after I have typed all my responses ... I figure ... why bother ... would be a novel, which I am known for, and not worth the time when others aren't going to read it. YEAH! For you!

So I am just not going to post it. Several days worth of postings. Aren't y'all jumping up and down with joy?!?!?!

Lenora
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    We'll be driving to DSIL's place in Eastern Oregon, near the Idaho border. DH grew up in that house. :smiley:

Well now, Katla... I went to high school in a little town called Joseph. Very close to the Idaho and Washington borders... is DH from the north? Or is he from Vale or someplace near there? Enquiring minds want to know... LOL.

Hello All... just lurking, for the most part. See you all later!

Hugs for Everybody!

Re in TX
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Can you believe I did it again!! Went out to lunch after my DGD's Grandparents Day and made a bad choice. The good news is I only ate 1/2 of the meal and brought the rest home. Loved the picture of the blizzard. My girls in CO are having snow also. Not sure what we are doing for Thanksgiving. Should know after this weekend. We are going to a cattle auction tomorrow. Suppose to be a big deal with catered Mexican food. Make good choices, make good choices, make good choices.......
    Barbie -so happy that you got to teach your line dancing class.
    Lenora - we have wild turkeys and deer in our yard all the he time and I agree the turkeys are stupid. They will chase each other around the pecan trees.
    Safe travels to all who will be on the roads or in the air for the Thanksgiving holiday.

SueBDew in TX
  • sherryminch
    sherryminch Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Small victories today, but had two.

First, went to see primary care doc...lost another 3 pounds!

Second, took "crashed" tablet back...walked in with tablet in original packaging, with receipt, less than 5 minutes later walked out with new tablet! Restored all my apps and data, and now using it!

Re - somehow I knew you would be lurking! Lol! Enjoy taco night...just don't eat any from Taco Bell!

Barbie - I'm glad Brandy had a good day and I'm glad you are back to dancing at least a little! Congrats!
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Scanning through 182 posts this evening! Whew! You would think I would learn not to get behind after doing this a time or two.
    Janet - Did you wave when you came to town? I thought I saw your smiling face. Are the turkeys at the park pets or will they be Thanksgiving dinner?
    Mary - Love the picture of the snow
    Others - love the pictures of kids, pooches, and travel

Welcome to the newbies! You're in a good place here!

Toni in Middle Tennessee
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Lovely pic of the blizzard Mary! Counting my blessings that we will NOT be experiencing a typical winter this year. It actually is chilly down our way in TX at 60 degrees currently!

Got my new Fitbit Alta today. Getting it set up. Graduating from my Flex when I found out from my daughter enjoyed hers so much.

Enjoy your night ladies!

Cheri
  • WallyAmadeus
    WallyAmadeus Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    New to the group, which seems so wonderfully welcoming! My goal for November: eat regular planned meals instead of constantly grazing.

I'd love some new friends in our wonderful age group with open diaries. Thanks so much everyone, and enjoy this evening.
  • santeeshimmy
    santeeshimmy Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Well my darling niece has got me down with her cold. Yuck

I did end up walking today and feel I've done enough. But I also got on the scale this morning.. damsam if it's not a pretty thing. I'll deal. But as gma would say. Sh I t

My gramma was very fond of that word. Kentucky born and raised. And as ladylike as she was letting sh I t fly now and then was a good thing.

That trip across middle America sounds wonderful. Farthest east I've been on a trip I controlled, was New Orleans. Later i went on a tour with a nephew to FL and WDC, chaperone. I did drive to OKC it's my sister. WORST ROADS I evah road. Let me know if they are fixed now. Haha

Neicevjustctextef ne andxssud the baby never had worsexsymptons and "think it was allergies". Yeah well Aunt Kate feels crummy. LOL

Katy going to bed at 7pm in NM
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Wow Lenora, what a great deal.

I love, love, love seeing winter weather from TV, my window, etc. The moment I walk outside though I am ready for it all to go away.

Joyce, Indiana
  • santeeshimmy
    santeeshimmy Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    The antihistamine kicked in. Not gonna fix the typo. It's too funny!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,916 Member
    Options
    New to the group, which seems so wonderfully welcoming! My goal for November: eat regular planned meals instead of constantly grazing.

I'd love some new friends in our wonderful age group with open diaries. Thanks so much everyone, and enjoy this evening.

m1277.gif The first thing I did when I started on MFP was to plan my meals for the day and log everything in my food diary and stick to the plan, no matter what. I still do that and have lost the weight I wanted to lose and kept it off for several years. Along with that, I seek every opportunity to be active. I hope we'll see you and that you'll tell us more about yourself so we can get to know you better.

:) Barbie from beautiful NW Washington
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,544 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 15.12min, 11.5amph, 137mhr, 2.9mi= 112c
    SKI MACHINE- 20min, 15-30resist, 5-13incl, 140mhr, 126ahr, .82mi = 122c
    ELIPTICAL- 20min, 119ahr, 152mhr, 10incl, 10-11resist, 2098str, 104stpmin, 1.78mi = 152c
    ride gym 2 dome- 7.16min, 11.5amph, 139mhr, 1.3mi = 55c
    walk station 2 wk- 7.44min, 3.6ap, 137mhr, .4mi = 62c
    walk wk 2 sta- - 7.07min, 3.9ap, 106mhr, .4mi = 45c
    ride dome 2 hm- 21.23min, 7.2amph, 148mhr, 2.5mi = 180c
    total cal 728
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,544 Member
    Options
    i've never counted (or cared) about my steps per day but this thing tracks it.
    so far today its 10888
    yesterday it was over 13k
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Scanning through 182 posts this evening! Whew! You would think I would learn not to get behind after doing this a time or two.
    Janet - Did you wave when you came to town? I thought I saw your smiling face. Are the turkeys at the park pets or will they be Thanksgiving dinner?
    Mary - Love the picture of the snow
    Others - love the pictures of kids, pooches, and travel

Welcome to the newbies! You're in a good place here!

Toni in Middle Tennessee

Toni, I was waving enthusiastically, so happy you saw that. I assume they were some ones pets there were some chickens with them too. The lady next door with the cockatoo was shooing them away. :)

Janetr okc (back in SE MO for Thanksgiving)

• Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Small victories today, but had two.

First, went to see primary care doc...lost another 3 pounds!

Second, took "crashed" tablet back...walked in with tablet in original packaging, with receipt, less than 5 minutes later walked out with new tablet! Restored all my apps and data, and now using it!

Re - somehow I knew you would be lurking! Lol! Enjoy taco night...just don't eat any from Taco Bell!

Barbie - I'm glad Brandy had a good day and I'm glad you are back to dancing at least a little! Congrats!

Tacos on Date Night are always from Torchy's or Fuzzy's... The ingredients are all clearly identifiable and generally wholesome. Good protein, a little lettuce, extra quacamole. YUM.

Thankfully, both chains put their nutritional info up on the websites - so it is easy to track calories and such.

Gratz on the three pounds! You are rocking this!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Mary: I admire your blizzard photo and imagine how snug and cozy it would be to be inside looking out. Thanks for sharing. :flowerforyou:

Heather: I hope you get your computer woes sorted out. In the mean time... :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Michele: I have used little purple potatoes in potato salad, along with little Yukon Gold and red skinned new potatoes. It makes a colorful salad. I actually have liked the purple least because of the texture. Try for yourself. Perhaps you'll do something different and get a better result than me. I use the tiny ones that come bundled with all three colors in a mesh bag. :star:

Barbie: Congratulations on teaching your class!!!!! :star::heart: :star: Sending good thoughts for Brandy. :heart: :heart: :heart:

Re: DH grew up in a little town in Malheur County about a quarter mile from the Snake River. The river is the border between Oregon and Idaho. :flowerforyou:

I don't know why, but I developed foot cramps this evening. I took Tylenol, and Tums, and also rubbed my feet with a heating cream. They feel better already. I'm hoping for a good night's sleep.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    <3<3

Kate UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,699 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    working today until noon... and then home I am sure to work on stuff around here... Homer still tucked in...
    I am sure oping that Homie sticks it out so that we can go to Florida.. I know I am being selfish but sure want to go..