WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2016

Options

Replies

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    csofled wrote: »
    Lovely pic of the blizzard Mary! Counting my blessings that we will NOT be experiencing a typical winter this year. It actually is chilly down our way in TX at 60 degrees currently!

Got my new Fitbit Alta today. Getting it set up. Graduating from my Flex when I found out from my daughter enjoyed hers so much.

Enjoy your night ladies!

Cheri

I love my Alta. It is so nice being able to see the steps and time on your wrist.

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,051 Member
    Options
    Lenora love the new picture.
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Hey Ladies!

It’s Saturday morning. I’m up early stressing on how much needs to get done today. It’s the Saturday before Thanksgiving, 20+ coming for the big dinner, grocery shopping to do, and the house needs to be cleaned top to bottom! DH snuck off to work (overtime) around 6 a.m. Heather, I’m trying to get organized but it just seems overwhelming. I feel paralyzed. I guess I’ll just jump on in. I know everything will be ok. However, my best thought for the day is to stop and pick up a fifth of Jack and slide through the day.

Lenora, I am not nicer than you. I married a Marine much like other males in my family…they don’t care to eat other people’s cooking and never at a buffet. We haven’t been to Golden Coral in years and years. I am just thankful that DH really does a great job supporting the cook (me) in the kitchen. When all is said and done it kind turns into a busy but great date. He is also the best cleaner in the house which is an added plus.

In addition FIL is hospitalized and declining. The only thought he has is that he wants to go home and there are “lots of people” in his room. DH is not handling this very well but he is doing the best he can. It is so heartbreaking. Watching a parent decline is so hard. So somewhere in this nightmare of a day time has to be found to visit with him. I guess the Jack will have to wait until this evening.

Thanks everyone for the best wishes regarding my job interview. It was brutal. I don’t know if I got the job. The whole while (lasted almost an hour and a half) I was thinking I don’t want this job. Right now I have the ability to telework – which amount to me not having to go into the office more than 3 days per week and most of the time it is 2 days a week. I also enjoy my current work team. I hate losing that but I do need the insurance coverage. So I guess I’ll know something next week.

My post for the day feels kinda of gloomy but I think I needed to get it all out of my system. :(

Have a great Saturday all….I’m about to get busy.

Tere in RVA

PS...Someone mentioned their DH chewing tobacco instead of smoking. They might want to have him try a vapor cigarette. We used them to stop smoking and had a wonderful experience.
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    turkey-snoring-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Rita- I get a whopping 20.00 bucks a week spending money..the rest of my paycheck goes into joint account.so that would be tough :s

It's your paycheck! Give yourself a raise. Start with $2.50 extra a week and adjust budget accordingly. In 3 months go up another $2.50. And adjust..... and keep going.
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone. It is the weekend. I am retired but I still like "weekends". They mean rest and maybe visiting.

Heading off to a craft sale and maybe get in on some Black Friday (weekend) sales somewhere. Yes I know I am in Canada but we have black Friday shopping Too!

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,915 Member
    Options
    :) Jake is planning our meal for Thanksgiving Day. We invited two friends and one decided not to come so there will be three of us. From the amount of food he has on the list, it sounds like we're having 20 people instead of just three. Fortunately, all the food he wants to buy is stuff that we normally eat, so it looks like we'll have food for many days instead of just one meal. I have a tolerance for infinite repetition of food, so that will be fine for me.

:) I have no ill effects from my venture into dancing yesterday. In a few minutes I'll be leashing Brandy and taking her for her morning walk. Today is one of the days she meets with her friends for a walk. The weather here is getting chilly but no frost or snow....I've just added warmer shoes and a warmer sweatshirt in addition to my usual warm clothes.

<3 Barbie from chilly NW Washington
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,842 Member
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Rita- I get a whopping 20.00 bucks a week spending money..the rest of my paycheck goes into joint account.so that would be tough :s

No way I would agree to that arrangement.

Janetr okc

I totally agree. Since I handle the money, I give DH 160 for whatever he wants. That includes groceries and anything he wants. He cooks so that's his. I take 40, pu 20 away for gifts and almost never spend the other 20. I use the debit card for everything else. If I really, really want something and don't have the cash, I use the debit card. No credit cards as I get in trouble with those. Read to page 30. Catch up more later. Going to Meridan CT mall with DH today.

Rita from CT
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Morning, off to a fun day being a tourist in DC. DH and I are good travel companions so I feel very fortunate, it wasn't always easy traveling with him, set in his ways and can get stuck, but we have found ways to deal with each other's picky tendencies. We are homebodies in general but like getting out every now and then.
    Looking forward to not stressing about t-day. Gonna have easy leftovers, soup and sandwiches for the day after t-day that's when my side of the family visits.

Counting blessings more important than having the right number of serving pieces --I don't mind eating soup out of mismatched mugs :p And yes, there will be wine- my dear brother is a wine selector/merchant so he always comes bearing interesting selections! Lucky us!!
    NYKAREN
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Sounds as if everybody's Thanksgiving plan are coming together. Last year I had 20 people at my house, this year we will be at Mama Smith's. There will be six of us. Jack's oldest son and his wife are driving here to MO for Thanksgiving. He hasn't seen his grandmother in 8-10 years, she has never met the current wife. I'm trying not to get anxious about it, I'll believe it when I see it. We rarely see them and we live in the same city.

Barbie, I'm so pleased that you are doing splendidly and able to return to teaching your classes, with help. You're an inspiration.

Have a terrific day my friends,
    Janetr okc
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Post went poof. Anyway, have a great day. I m off to watch DS buy cows.
    SueBDew
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    csofled wrote: »
    Lovely pic of the blizzard Mary! Counting my blessings that we will NOT be experiencing a typical winter this year. It actually is chilly down our way in TX at 60 degrees currently!
    Got my new Fitbit Alta today. Getting it set up. Graduating from my Flex when I found out from my daughter enjoyed hers so much.
    Enjoy your night ladies!
    Cheri

I love my Alta. It is so nice being able to see the steps and time on your wrist.

I am in LOVE with my new Alta! It is nice to see the time and date instead of dragging my phone out and checking it there. I love how it reminds me with a small vibration to get up and move if I haven't gotten 250 steps per hour. I had previously set an alarm on my phone for each hour. I get up and go for 1000+ each time it buzzes. Best of all is seeing the number of steps which the Flex did not give. Totally satisfied with my upgrade! Now what to do with my Fitbit Flex?!

Cheri
    in very chilly TX this morning
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,541 Member
    Options
    yo peeps
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Tere: As a lifelong nonsmoker, I wonder how the electronic cigarettes helped you quit. Three cheers for you & your DH's health that they worked! My only cigarette smoking experience was second hand and with two chain-smoking parents, I had more than enough second hand smoke growing up and chronic bronchitis every winter. :ohwell: Not anymore. :heart:

Peach: I understand that turkey contains a chemical called tryptophan, and that is what makes us all sleepy & want to take a nap after Thanksgiving dinner. I love your snoozing turkey. :heart:

Lillian: A few years ago we bought a new refrigerator and a new freezer on a Black Friday sale. We actually bought them before Friday and they were delivered early the next week. They're going strong. :smiley:

Barbie: Congratulations on resuming activities you love--dancing and dog walking. Easing in to the beloved routine is a great strategy. :bigsmile:

Cheri: Two ideas for your fitbit flex, save it for back-up just in case, or pass it along to someone who needs it and wants to take charge of their health. Perhaps you could even sell it. :smiley:

We have an "office" in our home and the lights had gradually burned out to the point that we used a couple of lamps. Yesterday we replaced all of the burned out light bulbs. When we have everything on a person could perform surgery in here. Since I suffer from seasonal affective disorder (SAD) in winter if I'm not careful, this is a big asset for me.

My riding lesson is not until 12:30 today & I usually ride at 10. I wonder why I've been moved to the later time. I guess I'll find out when I get there. DH is kind of grumpy about it.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,699 Member
    Options
    At work....
    Tere I have an idea..I'm planning after work to go home and do some housecleaning.get Pandora up and running and put some of your favorite tunes on ,and get at it girlfriend...im gonna do just that... ;)
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    2523058kuo2xm5z4b.gif
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,342 Member
    Options
    Did 55 minutes of Cardio Core and Dynamic Core DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do some Fit In 6 pilates on the Wii

For the person who asked (I don't remember who it was -- CRS) about if I've ever done Beachbody DVD's. Well, this DVD is by Shaun T and at the end he says something about logging into "team beachbody.com". I must say, this DVD was good. His cueing was very good, and it seemed to go real fast. Some DVD's seem to drag on and on, but not this one. I would recommend Beachbody DVD's if they're anything like this one. You can probably preview a DVD (or at least portions of it) on uTube.

Made the mix for tuffles that I'll take to Jess since the mixture needs to be refrigerated.
    Then made chicken for later in the week and now have salmon in the oven. Plan to make a sweet potato casserole to take to Jess along with sweet potato muffins. Also want to make her brownies and these chocolate cookies. I'm taking up a pumpkin pie (I like it). She tends to make things that only she likes. Others like sweet potato casserole so I'll make it and bring home the rest. I really wish she'd decide on the menu so that I know what else to bring up. I remember one year I made muffins, I brought up a basket and napkin for them. She made biscuits and said to me "ma, do you have another basket?" I would have brought it up had I known that she was going to make biscuits. Have butter noodles on the stove right now for Vince for tonight.

After her house on the way home plan to stop at the ceramics place. There is this one tool that I really want to get. It's only something like $5 so I'll get a few more. Everyone at ceramics seems to really like the one this one gal has.

Went to see "The Flick" (play) last night. I really wasn't impressed but Vince seemed to like it.

janetr - I think of Beth, too, and of Sylvia and her son.

barbie - yea for you getting back to teaching! I know that made you so happy

When we give Loki his medicine, we give the cats "treats" (which is really dried cat food). Lexi has been on this decongestant and she LOVES pill pockets. Unfortunately, she's done with them but we do try to find some pill pockets that are broken and give her the broken pieces so we'll hopefully wean her off the pill pockets.

Lenora - thanks for reminding me that I need to charge my iPod for when we go up to Jess'. What luck you had with your laptop! I always read your posts, regardless of how long they are

Sherry - big congrats on that loss. That's awesome. Boy, between you and Lenora, you suure are cleaning up in the laptop/computer department

Wally - welcome. I wish everyone had an open diary. Sometimes I get real good ideas

tere - so sorry about your FIL

Lillian - I can't begin to tell you how many times Vince has said to me "what day is this" since he retired. I can usually keep track of the days because of my exercise. I know that Mondays is extremepump, Tues is cardio, Wed may or not not be water, thur is weight training, Fri and Sat. are cardio, Sun is pilates or yoga -- something easy on the joints

Off to make the brownies...

Michele in NC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,915 Member
    Options
    2523058kuo2xm5z4b.gif

This is great exercise for the body, the mind, and the spirit

• SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Michele: I didn't have the problem with the cursor freezing but I did a little research for you. Apparently it is a common issue here is a link to a YouTube that may help solve it for you. It's worth a try https://youtube.com/watch?v=cPy3EH6rziQ I also noticed that after watching this video the next one that came up was a different solution that might work as well. Hope this helps.

Katla: I had the same thought as you regarding Cheri's fitbit flex. Great minds think alike

Lillian: I'm waiting for the black Friday sales too... along with both of my DS's :)

I was able to get to Tai Chi last nite. Yay!! I had some low carb Cauliflower Spinach Gouda soup for supper last night. It was delicious! I really appreciate soup on cold blustery days.

Welcome to everyone new. You've joined a fantastic supportive community of caring women.

Have a great day all,

Carey - Northern Alberta

Goals for Nov:
    - Increase walking by at least 100 steps per day
    - Get to Tai Chi at least once a week
    - Increase daily water intake
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,207 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I lucked out today as well. :D I had a voucher for gift flowers, so I decided to send them to my cancer friend. I told her something was coming in the post (they fit through the letter box in a flat box). Nothing arrived for two days. I was about to ring the company when I got an email from them saying that a gentleman at a different address had rung them as the flowers had been delivered to him. I had put the wrong house number on the order. :o So they are going to deliver them again to my friend on Monday for no extra charge. Service!!!! :D

This morning I used my wifi USB stick to copy my photos off my tablet. There is no USB port on it. Once I had done that I deleted all the device stored photos which I had copied onto the microcard on the device. Bit more memory on there now, so I could update everything. :)

I haven't approached my laptop again. Didn't want to ruin my day. :s I did look up how to get my email on the tiling. Utube videos galore, so it is obviously a common problem. Still don't know how to get my McAfee on there. It is supposed to cover 3 computers, but I don't know how to do it. Maybe Utube has the answer. ;):p

I've been looking at smart phones for my Christmas present, but I don't feel up to taking on another challenge. Just yet. :/

Got the last of the Barbecoa Beef tonight. With butternut squash and broccoli. We've had two fishy days, so that's fine.

Our 12th anniversary tomorrow. I've got DH some Knob Creek bourbon. We are going out for posh lunch with a gift token from his daughter. And a taxi. :drinker: Heels day! :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx