WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2016

Replies

• lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Heather - I'm on Windows 10, and while I don't love it, I like it much better than Windows 8 - they went back to the classic desktop, and while there are some itchy spots, and while they try to force you into putting your stuff on OneDrive, which is cloud-based, you can get around that by simply saving stuff on your own desktop and in your own folders if you choose. Won't say I like it better, but it's honestly not a big deal. Here's a link that's UK-oriented to the differences between Win 8 and Win 10, with pics.

Tere - best of luck on the interview!

Six and a half hours sleep AGAIN, so happy I could just plotz. :) Got my rear in gear yesterday and got almost all the non-donatables from the last sale at the warehouse out to the dumpster. All that's left is a bathtub, a couple dozen golf clubs, a walker, and the fefw things I decided to keep. The warehouse looks quite bare and empty. Very serene. And even had enough energy to go shopping and make meatballs for dinner--the DH had his with leftover pasta, and I just had a couple with a bit of sauce. Pretty darn yummy.

And, good news, the DH is going to ask for the Wednesday off pre-Thanksgiving, so we can do an eight-hour drive the first day, five on the second, and be there in time to actually have a good part of the day with family. Not looking forward to 13 hours of driving... but still better than flying. :) And honestly, for me, it's just more time to crochet, rather than drive, as the DH does most of the driving.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in West Texas

Oh - and the latest Texas Toast comic for y'all... we have such fun with it... :) for those unfamiliar, the two main characters are a boy and and a girl, both pieces of Texas toast bread, who talk to each other about everything under the sun.

gj0v1wss8u8d.jpg
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Morning, DH had a fancy digital thermostat installed in our house so he can control the temp from his phone, ughhh. He hasn't got the gist of it and we spent the whole night with the house at 75 degrees! Didn't sleep well. He is so obsessed with staying warm, we are going to be in debt just paying the heating bill. Breathe, rant finished.

A wonderful work friend of mine, slipped on wet floor at work yesterday, face planted and broke her nose :# thank goodness she is okay, but how scary is that? One of my anxious fears, falling and breaking something.

Well I'm off to a quick weekend in DC with DH, love keeping up with you all, helps me stay on track, still maintaining and I know it's this accountability that makes a difference.

Rori way to go on hitting your goals both with food and finances. For me they seem to go hand in hand.

NYKAREN <3

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    edited November 2016
    Morning Ladies~
    well got alot of things done yesterday.. slept pretty good ..
    spoke with Tom when he got home yesterday.. he said if there is even an inkling of Homer not feeling well that we wont be going down to Florida... now he has been down 3 times this year I have been nowhere except Tennessee this summer for 4 days.. now then I will not be able to get to Florida and will have to work ,and get no vacation at all.. to say I am upset is an understatement, but I do want Homer to stay well..
    I also talked to him about Christmas Shopping, I hate having to ask and to have a specific amount , I have to Juggle with, the 2 oldest granddaughters are teenagers and will be going with there stepmom to florida ,in Jan and May respectively so money is key,, the older ones birthday is 5 days after Christmas she will be 17 so I was figuring 100 for Christmas 100 for birthday so she will have money for trip ,100 for the second oldest and there brother 50.00 then on my side I have Taliah who needs jeans and will get her something fun and would like to get my DB and DSIL , and my 2 kids something ,but I will get flack for that...
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,041 Member
    :heart:
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
  • santeeshimmy
    santeeshimmy Posts: 29 Member
    Good morning!
    It's still pitch black out and I'm looking forward to the sunrise.

Lisa, that is a long drive. Mind I ask where you are headed? I don't recall seeing it before. We used to drive from San Diego to Albuquerque for holidays. After memorizing the desert of Arizona, I decided I'd rather fly. Hahaha

Lillian, isn't that a pain? This last time my films had not made it from one center to the other and I was scheduled for an ultrasound. Well, I sat in the lobby and people came into the office area and looked at me several times. I was thinking, well crap the machine is broke or something. Then a tall, older man came out and asks my name. We stand in the lobby and he says, "we got your films and don't need to do an ultrasound at all. Everything looks the same." I laughed and said, " I coulda told you that."

Christmas shopping is so not my thing. I just feel like most people have so much it's silly to buy anything someone doesn't need and won't defiantly use. My kids, adults, always get tshirts and pajamas. They've grown to expect I will buy some silly shirt and pj pants. Then the DS gives his pant to his sister. This year they both have fiancée. Might just do stockings, a tshirt and cash.

Thanks Katla. We love our rain! I keep thinking maybe we should have moved more north with climate change making this area so dry.

Just watched a man on tv absolutely decimate a fried turkey! It came out of the pot with burnt skin. I never have burnt the skin. This guy actually makes money teaching people to fry turkey. He was doing a seminar....yeesh

DH will be home early today and he wants to go to lunch. Typically he wants Chinese buffet. I am not so fond of buffets, but I go because he likes it. I pretty much stick with bbq chicken and green beans and allow myself an egg roll. My big issue is having so many people near my food. Oh boy

Katy, watching the sun come up and getting some exercise before DH gets home in freakin' cold NM
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Rori A million years ago when my son was a little guy, he had to write a story about the 1st Thanksgiving for school. So I helped him find some books to read and he wrote a nice little story...and got an F. Turns out Virginians believe the first Thanksgiving was really in Virginia. LOL! I was embarrassed and he was humiliated, we didn't know! Poor little guy, I was no help at all, and he is now scarred for life. HIS kids have never made that mistake, LOL!

(((Hugs))) for everyone!

Karen in Virginia getting over a cold
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Karen ~ I hope you said something to that teacher about the "F". That seems so unfair.

Lisa ~ That's a lot of driving.

We went to my son's for dinner last night and he made the most delicious steaks broiled over coals. Marinated them in a mixture of pineapple juice/teriyaki and spices. Son was slated to go to culinary school after finishing high school but changed direction at the last moment. He would have made a great chef. I was awed when the little 5 yr old GD set the dining room table all by herself. Got out a fancy table cloth and folded napkins and then placed the silver ware around the plates in the correct place. That mom is doing something right!

We have had no rain in over two months. Most of GA is in extreme drought conditions. Prayers for rain would be appreciated.

Carol

• SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    881093scjc71v69o.gif

Carey - Northern Alberta

Goals for Nov:
    - Increase walking by at least 100 steps per day
    - Get to Tai Chi at least once a week
    - Increase daily water intake
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,797 Member
    Allie, may I suggest that for next year you start putting 10 or $20 a week in a "special" envelope earmarked for gifts? That is what I did this year and it really reduced the DH flack!

Short stop today.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    :)
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,827 Member
    Heather- Look online for shoes for your DH. My DH finds his online. He also likes a style of shoe by New Balance that is no longer found in stores (at least not around here). They are white leather. Most times he just types in the style and brand into the search bar and quite a few options pop up. He also has a size 14 wide foot which makes shopping in stores difficult. DYS is the same way. As my father always said "They have a great understanding in life".

Good morning all! Happy Friday! Doing the Friday dance! DH is having a lot of pain lately with his RA. He is at the lowest level for the prednisone before the doc puts him on his new meds and he is in pain all day long. :/ So...my weekend to do list is longer and with things I haven't had to do before. Example: Sealing windows for winter, cleaning out the dryer vent, shutting off water to outdoor faucets and shutting off the well pump and draining for winter, framing out a couple windows and doors. Time to put my week-end warrior cape on and get stuff done.

I envy all of you with snow! I am a snow lover. I told my DH I wanted 50 inches of snow for my 50th birthday and he rolled his eyes. I am not usually the girl who wants the impossible, but this year, I really want snow. We are supposed to get some tomorrow, but as it is in the high 50's out right now and going to get a little above 60 this afternoon; if we get snow, it won't stick. :(

Excited about the Thanksgiving holiday next week. I work through Wednesday and have Thursday Friday and the week-end off! I bought my ham early, when it was on sale and it is in my freezer. We are not turkey eaters. I will make the Curried Butternut Squash soup, stuffing with pecans for DH and DYS, roasted potatoes, roasted brussel sprouts, I have some Dutch Love corn (fresh off the cob/frozen) in my freezer, that I will cook up with some cilantro, tomato, and lime. I need to decide on a bread and make a pumpkin and an apple pie. Wine for me. DH and DYS will probably have sparkling water.

Kids arriving. No matter how early I get up, I always feel like there are not enough hours in the day...*sigh

Welcome new girls! Great group here!

Love and hugs to those who need them <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,500 Member
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,500 Member
    Stats for yesterday
    ride hm 2 gym- 14.24, 12.5amph, 137mhr, 2.9mi= 75c
    SPIN- 44min, 84r, 95w, 10-14g, 147mhr, 18.1mi = 254c
    ride gym 2 dome- 8.04min, 10.4amph, 143mhr, 1.4mi = 69c
    Run station 2 wk- 4.33min, 3.9amph, 109 .4mi = 56c
    Runwk 2 station- 5.10min, 3.8ap, 129mhr, .4mi = 61c
    Ride dome 2 hm- 20.57min, 6.9amph, 139mhr 2.4mi = 120c
    Total cal 695
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Love the Pups, Rita!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited November 2016
    Heather: I've read Younger Next Year but don't actually own it. I got my copy from the library. I may have to invest in a copy of my own. I do remember the great bits of wisdom. Regarding Windows--I don't have a clue. I'm an Apple customer--phone and computer. DH is also an Apple customer. He has an ipad & desktop but I'm happy with my laptop. This machine is 7 years old and going strong. :heart:

Lisa: I love the Texas Toast cartoon. We're travelling for Thankgiving, too. We'll be driving to DSIL's place in Eastern Oregon, near the Idaho border. DH grew up in that house. :smiley:

NYKaren: I certainly don't recommend falling. I've broken both wrists in separate falls on black ice over the past few years. Now I'm taking bone density meds. :grumble:

Katy in NM & Carol: Weather change is happening here, too. It has been warmer and drier the past couple of years. I joke that northern CA has moved here but the joke has a bit too much truth in it. :noway: At least we have some snow in the mountains already. We need a lot more. :flowerforyou:

Rita: Your mom has a lovely, friendly face. I see some resemblance to you. :smiley:

Yoga today!!!! Yay!!!! I had to miss the Wednesday class in order to accompany DH to his MS doctor appointment. I've already said how positive that was, and I'm glad I went although I missed the benefits of yoga. I'll be missing yoga over Thanksgiving, too. I can do some yoga on my own with enough floor space, but I have doubts that will be possible. If weather allows I'll burn the calories walking.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" -Audrey Hepburn
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    <3<3

Kate UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    Rita- I get a whopping 20.00 bucks a week spending money..the rest of my paycheck goes into joint account.so that would be tough :s