WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2016

Options

Replies

• lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Morning, all... slept for nearly 7 hours last night, it was so nice to be back in our own space. This week is the last Monday that I'll have to work, then I'll be at the paper just on Tuesdays and Fridays. It might not be good for our budget, but it sure will be good for my soul...

Speaking of good for your soul - here's the listing for one of the top candidates right now... http://www.landwatch.com/Baxter-County-Arkansas-Land-for-sale/pid/4343365. Trying not to get our hopes up about anything, as we still have time.

Love y'all!
    Lisa, in West Texas, but dreaming of a little farm in Arkansas
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,783 Member
    Options
    Good Morning all~
    I had a very fitful sleep, gee I wonder why..
    Grits~backstory met Tom online, I was still married to Rich ,but had moved out and started the divorce process,yes I went from the frying pan into the fire.. he was married and his ex and I are dear dear friends.. she divorced him because back then he was drinking alot.. she had 4 adult children and a year old daughter when they married, so he helped raise Jillian.. from what I hear she was a spoiled rotten brat, and at 32 yrs old sorta still is, it is all about Jillian,,, she has 3 children 2 older ones we consider our grandaughters .. Tom and I were fine for a long time,but the older he got the worse he got..he is very unhappy with his work and trying to make it another year and a 1/2 to retire.. he is a non stop person, doesnt sit still even when he has time to.
    a year and a 1/2 ago something snapped and it was while we were doing the reno on kitchen and bathroom, he doesnt love me anymore. and that is that..
    he has 6 weeks vacation and this year he has been down 3 times I only get 2 weeks vacation and I use it to go down there.. I love it down there lots of birds, and I have made alot of friends in the park..yes the house here in Connecticut is worth more than the one down there.. but I would never be able to afford the mortgage..
    yes I will speak with someone, and I have family and friends who love me and will be there for me when needed
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,669 Member
    Options
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Gloria ~ Wishing you a wonderful first day at work. Being familiar with the office and retaining your previous salary and benefits is great! I could not even imagine going back to work at my age. You are much admired by all of us.

Lisa ~ That looks like a very promising place and the price looks very good.

DH left in the wee hours to take his BnL to the hospital for a hip replacement. BnL has lived alone for the last 40 yrs after his wife (my DH's sister passed). This is his second hip and for some reason he thinks he will be sent home today. I hope they decided to keep him for a couple of days.

Carol
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    <3
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)<3
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I feel for you Allie. You can call or pm me anytime. We can meet and just vent. I'm in a similar situation. Went f I'm a verbal/ physical abuse to another verbal/leechy relationship. I need out, know it is all up to me but feel guilty about where it would leave DH who is very needy and depressed.

Rita
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    <3
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,083 Member
    Options
    Allie if you have property in two states without a trust your estate could go into probate in two states. The important thing to do now is make sure if something happens to Tom that it is set up that you inherit without it going through probate. He has already put you through a finicial ringer. Enough is enough. No reason to add to it. Has he been screened for Alzheimer's. It can change a person's personality. I know with my mother-in-law my father-in-law noticed changes ten years before it became really noticeable to others.

My mom had her affairs set up in a trust and I have already received my inheritance and she died Oct. 21st. I do not think that would have happened if she had only had a will.

(((Alison)))

:heart: Margaret
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: You are nearly done with Christmas shopping and I haven't even begun. I am impressed and starting to realize that I'd better get busy. :star:

Charleen: I LOVE the penguins! Thanks for putting a smile into my morning. :smiley:

Allison: (((HUGS)))

Barbie: It is great to see the excellent progress you are making recovering from surgery. WTG!!! :bigsmile:

I'm in the process of doing laundry from our trip and have stained a favorite over shirt. It is back into the wash by itself for round two. I hope I don't end up needing to replace it. I'm optimistic. I'm planning to make chicken soup today. Since Thanksgiving was at DSIL's home, she will get all the great turkey leftovers to make her soup. She deserves more than that for being the hostess with the mostess. We had a lovely time.

DH wanted to wait and travel today in order to avoid heavy traffic, but I wanted to be home and go to yoga. The traffic was never bad & am looking forward to yoga.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

November Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Morning everyone. I'm enjoying a week of relaxation near Kerrville, TX. Doing hikes and walks and generally nothing. Very relaxing except for the wind. I used to live in windy country but have gotten used to life without wind the past 15 years and I forget what it's like to have it blowing all the time. The colors are beautiful, the sun in shining, the river is babbling and life is good today.

I only have two people left to get Christmas gifts for. The hardest two of the family. What to get someone who never shows ANY excitement, thanks, disgust, no emotion at all for a gift? We never know if what we get them is good or not as they just grunt "huh" and that's it. It isn't just our gifts, it's all gifts so I can't take it personally but sheesh it would be nice to know if it was appreciated or not....

Marcelyn
    escaping Houston for the Hill country this week.

• suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Got this far.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Katla - This might not work, now that it has been washed before (especially if it has been dried in a dryer) - which tends to 'set' the stain. I can be terrible about having on a nice top and cooking something that splatters. When that happens, after I have combines as many 4-letter words I know - for being stupid; I pump out a little big of 'foaming hand soap' and also spray the area with something like Resolve or some other stain product, like Shout. And pat them into the shirt using my pointer finger. Pat it, don't rub it and immediately put it into a soak cycle on your washing machine. I've done this sometimes even after a couple of days of it just being in the dirty clothes basket. I try to check everything I am about to wash for stains. Usually it will cut the grease (also another thing, other than the 'foaming hand soap', that really works better is 'white or clear' DAWN. That is what they use to wash oil off ducks and other types of birds from an oil spill. Some people say put cold water on a stain; but, 'if' it is oil or grease, the water will not do anything other than to make the stain spread out0. Even if you are having to wear the top out somewhere you can put the foaming hand soap on it and it will dry in a few minutes and most of the time, it won't show. Any time you have a stain on your clothes, the quicker you treat it, the more likely you are to be able to get it out.

The only thing I cannot seem to get out of something I might wear is 'mustard'. That is almost impossible to get out. I'm sure there is something or some 'home remedy' to do it, I just have not found out what it is.

Do any of you know if it is better to soak dry beans overnight before cooking them in a crock pot?

Lenora
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Marcelyn would it be appropriate to offer a donation in those two hard to gift folks. This year we are donating to different organizations in their name for our older neices and nephews. One donation is going to the Wildlife foundation for her love of tigers! The other is going to girl scouts of America!
    I will let you know how it goes, we all figure it's better than socks!

NYKAREN
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    This week I am going out to buy 'gift certificates' for my children and grandchildren. I do have a 'few' items I give them for opening up; but, rather than go 'shopping' and trying to find something they will like, wear, or fit ... I do this. I don't expect for them to give us anything ... they need to spend that money on the girls. Last year my DYS and DDnL#2 gave me a framed portrait of them.

Our DOS and DDnL#1 struggle financially, so I do not really want them to feel obligated to give us anything. Usually her Mother will make dishrags that have the crotched ends that button over the handle of the stove. I love getting these. DDnL#1 can usually find a 'little something' she thinks is 'cute' that I probably would not go out and buy for myself. And I 'certainly' do NOT expect for my DOGD to buy us anything at all. Just having her home for the holidays and being able to spend time with her is enough.

Christmas has become so commercialize that I really hate it to be honest. I remember my Christmases as a child. We had a tree that my Mother ordered from A&P that touched the ceilings (11'). It had some really pretty hand painted ornaments and we'd hang tinsel on it. We'd wrap presents and when we were little we exchanged presents with friend; but, that stopped as we got older. One thing I remember that my Dad enjoyed was to find out the names of a family with children who would not otherwise have a Christmas if not for someone being benevolent.
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies!

Wow! It seems like relationships are the topic of the week…..

Allie: Regardless of who you are with and regardless of what they are doing the first thing you need to do is learn how to love, appreciate, and value yourself. If you love, appreciate, and value yourself your footsteps will be ordered accordingly. Remember “A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step – Confucius.” Concentrate on taking one step and the next step will be easier. Help is at hand here and out there - you just need to take a step. And remember you are not the first woman to find herself at this point.

Holiday Gatherings and Children and In and Out Laws: Someone mentioned that families are not the same as when we were young and grew up with a Mother and Father…..that is true. DH’s OGS welcomed me into the family as Granny Number Six. I could only crack-up laughing. :D Some of our children love spending time with us, some of them have decided not to spend time with us, some of them are just hit and miss. We issue general invitations if you want to come then do so. If you don’t want to come it’s ok. We treat our siblings the same way. We don’t particularly care for any of the official or unofficial spouses but we keep our opinions to ourselves. We have decided to do things because it pleases us to do so. Because we don’t want to this year we are not hosting the Christmas Day family gathering…next year we are not hosting the Thanksgiving family gathering. We are talking about going to the islands for the holiday! <3

Michele: I remember loving my first husband’s parents beyond reason and thinking what a wonderful family he had. They were so wonderful to our son. I always took their opinions to heart and included them in everything. A couple of years later I found out differently. I think children go through those changes where the grass is greener on the other side but they eventually come to realize where their real love comes from. Just hold on……

Tere in RVA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,325 Member
    Options
    My elder son has invited me to be his Friend on Facebook. I really hate Facebook and currently only have a very few Friends, but I didn't feel I could turn him down. (He is unemployed and recovering from severe depression ). So now I am treated to pics of his greyhounds and lots of geek talk. But it must be a compliment to be invited, right? :laugh:

DH's elder daughter has asked us to have a Sunday lunch in a pub half way between our houses. I'm not jumping with joy at the venue, but DH is really delighted to have a date fixed with her. I will do my best to enjoy it. It's important to him. <3

Yoga tomorrow. :D It's going to be a frosty morning, so plenty of car spraying in prospect. I wear rubber gloves over my leather ones to spray the windows.

Just had the most delicious Chicken, Spinach and Pea Curry. Enough left for my lunch tomorrow.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Old tree picszf4ly5kfedb.jpg