WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2017

Options

Replies

• Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Kay - I commiserate with you about donating your books. It's so hard! But kudos to you! :flowerforyou: Letting go of things you no longer need gives you what my son used to call "grown-up points". I still have all my old biology, chemistry and biochemistry textbooks from university, and my human physiology books from courses I took later in life. They really should go in the trash. Recent advances in some of those fields are so dramatic that much of what the books say is no longer true. :noway:

Cheri - As you've probably realized, I'm a seasoned traveler. Flying doesn't phase me now, but when my kids were small I would often panic on airplanes, especially at take-off and landing, and during turbulence. One thing that helped me get over it was to reassure myself that planes are built to tolerate strong winds. No matter how bad the wind might feel to me, the plane thinks nothing of it. If I experienced a bump during a flight, I told myself the plane could toss back bumps like goldfish crackers and beg for more. Maybe that line of thought could help you, too. You can do this, my dear!

Heather - Sending strengthening vibes to you for your meeting with your friend. I have very little experience of my own, but from watching my parents over their years of living in a facility where people live until they die, I've understood that one of the most important things you can do for a dying person is simply to be there with your eyes, mind and heart open. :heart:

I'm trying to get back into my normal workaday groove, with only some success. Early days yet, so there's hope.

Oh, and I'm glad to hear that it isn't just us northerly chicks who know about Iditarod.

/Penny, searching for normal at the North Pole

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    allie that is one beautiful bed, you deserve it! Now keep on reciting that prayer-don't go borrowing trouble about the change at work, keep doing what you're doing, keep lining up those ducks!!

For many reasons I went off the rails last night--I mean off the rails my weight jumped 2 pounds :# so it's back to the regular work of logging, planning , exercising lather rinse repeat, lather rinse repeat!!! :|Ann your food plan sounds wonderful, I am inspired to follow in your footsteps.

DH stands for dear husband and mine is very happy in Jamaica right now with DD. The sound of his voice when he is happy with the temp is really something--I happen to have the thermostat turned down 10 (yes) 10 degrees cooler in the house and it feels great! The thermostat wars when he gets home are going to be epic. It is the reason I know we will have to move away from the northeast when we retire!

NYKAREN
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Book recommendation from a NYT article I just read about negative thinking. "Hardwiring Happiness" by Rick Hanson. Gonna check it out of the library. And I just borrowed an awesome wooden puzzle (amazing trust me) that I am starting tonight to keep my hands busy--on reflection, that was my issue last night when I went off the rails.

NYKAREN
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Good morning all
    Returned from Spain last nice to sleep in my own bed. Weighed in this am up 5 lbs could have been worse after 3 weeks holiday.

Just caught up on posts catching my breath, it's hard to keep up even if you miss only one day.

Thoughts are with all facing problems and welcome to anyone new.

Will be back on track from today and just about to do Leslie Sansone 45 min youtube video and some kettlebell swings

Kate UK <3
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,976 Member
    Options
    :) We are driving to Seattle today for Jake's appointment for nuclear stress test and visit with cardiologist. The roads are icy. He's a great driver but he was allowed no coffee yesterday and no food for six hours before the test. I'll have a short walk with Sasha before we go and a walk on the ferry but getting 10,000 steps today will be a challenge.

<3 Barbie from chilly NW Washington
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Katla - hoping the eye surgery for your DH went well, and that recovery is simple and easy.

Barbie - hoping Jake's tests and visit are all good news...

Working today and tomorrow...

Lisa in sunny West Texas
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,087 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Poerava14 wrote: »
    Pip: Love the pup pix,but Bootz <3<3<3

Re: Before you get into any complex orthopedics, see if you can get a referral to a physical therapist. I had laser surgery to treat a 'locked up' knee. Didn't work. I had post surgery PT, who did treatments and gave me exercises to cure the situation. Healing thoughts and energy coming your way.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills

I agree with Rori. I am not seeing a PT for my knee yet, but I have started these exercises I found online by Dr. Jo. It is important to exercise the other muscles supporting your knee. Having one leg shorter than the other is probably the source of the problem. I have a good friend who has this problem too. Discussing with your doctor and PT ways to lessen the impact of this situation is a good place to start. I hate to see you lose mobility over this because our bodies are meant to move. I too am feeling how painful a troubled knee can be. (((Re)))

Alison beautiful bed. I am ready for a nap and I just got up. LOL

Marni loved the info on coconut oil and chia seeds.

Our Frieda was like your Mali Summer. Frieda was a wonderful dog.

:heart: Margaret

Worked a half day yesterday. It was perfect for seeing how my leg is healing. I don't have as much trouble during the day. It is nighttime that is harder. That is part of why I am trying to incorporate better sleep habits. Implementing these habits are making a difference in the sleep I am getting.
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    B)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,343 Member
    Options
    Hi all!
    Went to yoga today. :)
    The photographer has cancelled because of the weather. Actually it's now cheered up and the sun is out. They want to come tomorrow. Grrrrrr!

Going to make shin of beef stew today. Easy, but a looooooong cooking time. Going to use beer to cook it in.
    Having it with brussels sprouts.

Kate UK - I always find that holiday weight goes away really quickly. Most of it is glycogen/water.

I'm going to weigh myself tomorrow after a week of being reasonably good, apart from last Friday. I hope to see a pound gone.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • spikeyhair
    Options
    Heather - Thanks I hope so anyway have just completed 45 min video and KB swings 5x17x13 and hard boiled egg for lunch. Going to try and eat less carbs this year

Kate UK
  • lacruiser2016
    lacruiser2016 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Pip, your kitty is scent-marking the dog -- cats have scent glands along the edges of their jaws, and rub the sides of their faces on people and things in their territories. She's claiming him! :smile:

Had a great week last week, so am motivated to keep it going.

Still haven't seen the quilt pics -- where are they?? Thx!
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    <3
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,416 Member
    Options
    Allie - that bed is so cute! Love the fabric frame/headboard/foot board - bedding is adorable.

It's back to work for me today, thankfully the snow predicted for the I-5 corridor hasn't shown up and hopefully won't until tonight and I have tomorrow off as far as I know. DH is finally heading into town today to get his flu shot -- so many reports of local hospitals at overflow level from pts with flu complications. DH rarely leaves the house so I'd be the "vector" - I don't get the shot and as a rule have managed to avoid any major crud. If I had chronic health issues I'd get the flu shot.

But will get my "other" pneumonia shot next time I'm at the drugstore and there isn't a line - last year got the Pneumovax 23, still need the Prevnar 13.

I am almost a neurotic hand-washer when out in public... and I think it helps keep germs at bay.

After work I plan to hit the 2nd hand bookstore and see what I can find about low-sugar eating. My interest is really piqued now. When I was a chubby kid, my folks sent to me to the doc and he put me on a low-carb diet - 60 grams/day. I didn't stick with it - hard for a young person who doesn't cook and hard for my mom to keep up with... our family was poor and potatoes/carbs were the diet mainstays. This was in the 1960's.

I noticed last fall when I was on the new Weightwatcher's program, and would enter a new food on their tracking system, they were now tracking sugar, not just carbs anymore, and weren't concerned with the sugars in fruit. I'm not sure what their success rate is with this new program.

Yesterday I decided to clean up my Facebook. I stopped following and getting notifications on just about everyone except for health and gardening and positive thinkers. So much crap is being posted on there, it was getting worse than the National Enquirer!

Have a good day everyone!

Lanette
    SW Washington State

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    276228chtx1qh7t8.gif
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squat-3X5X 30
    Russian kettle bell swing-17 X7X 30

40lbs loss by May 27th
    Fitness Test
    Push-ups-3X 15
    Sit ups-3X 15
    Jumping jacks-3X 15

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • spikeyhair
    Options
    <3

Kate UK
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    kevrit wrote: »

Before we bought an RV we read a book called "The Complete Idiot's Guide to RVing" It helped us first to decide that we wanted to RV and then to know what to buy to meet our own special needs. We owned an RV for five years and loved every minute of it, but one day decided to sell it and travel a different way. One summer we traveled in the RV for 99 consecutive days and learned a lot about our marriage. Have you ever seen the Lucille Ball Desi Arnaz movie "The Long Long Trailer"?

<3 Barbie

Going to buy that book! Thanks for the advice Barbie.

Also going to try to find the Lucy movie "The Long Long Trailer".

Karla, why do some parks not allow older trailers?

On my shaker disability, I was granted disability, 2 years after I applied. I was out of money while waiting, so had gone back to work to try it. That put my disability on hold. Ended up with 3 jobs in 3 years and realized I wasn't going to be able to stay at work anywhere so am doing an "expedited reinstatement " ( their words), which gave me 6 months of payments until they decided I wasn't healed enough to work. My 6 months is now up and they sent me a letter stating that I am not getting any more monies until decision is made. That is why I am in this limbo state.

Rita in CT
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    So many posts, so little time!