WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2017

Options

Replies

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Allie You are entitled to half the value of everything. If you want the house, then negotiating that makes sense. But the house isn't liquid. It's a big fat money drain, unless you really want to live in it. On paper, a house worth $200,000 looks like the same thing as a 401K with $200,000 in it. But it isn't the same. Watch out for yourself. (((Hug)))

Karen in Virginia
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,708 Member
    Options
    Karen in Virginia~ Correct... keep in my mind 1/2 the value of everything...yes aka money pit..
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Stopping to say HI!

On the way to airport in a bit. First flight already delayed so could be a long day.... Someone asked if this is first trip to Disney. That would be a big NO. We lived in So Flo for 11 years when the kids were growing up and Disney was our vacation destination more times than I can count. This will be the first trip back since childhood for my daughter, hubs and I went back for our 25th anniversary first time without kids. Fun place!
    So Hidey Ho here I go!

Cheri
    barely awake in College Station, TX
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,753 Member
    Options
    Kelly .... very cute!! I'm copying to my computer ... would love to do this in the future for friends whose daughters are expecting!

Beth
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,056 Member
    Options
    Kelly so cute.

Alison you are worth it. You go girl!

Betty I am trying to focus on what is going right and kindness of others and trying to be kinder myself. Repeating that message Love trumps hate.

(((Betty )))

:heart: Margaret
  • lacruiser2016
    lacruiser2016 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice -- and specially to Mary! I am doing my dead level best to log everything accurately; I have a food scale and use it; I am eating primarily lean meats and veggies, with the occasional complex carb (brown rice, high-fiber whole grain bread), and fruit. I do refuse to stop eating fruit, although I try to focus on best bang for the buck fruits like apples, pears, grapefruit, berries rather than grapes and bananas. I will go back and revisit my profile settings; I probably need to move it to moderately active rather than sedentary.

Oh, that's the cutest baby shower stuff! Someone is really creative!

Also love those reiki quotes. Our attitudes are really about the only thing we can control, right?

Thanks for your generous offer, Christy! A trip to the AO will take lots of planning (and $$$)! Can't wait for it to start -- I'll be glued to the tube.

Enjoy your Sunday, all!
  • FourLynne62
    FourLynne62 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Good morning. I like this idea and I hope we will encourage one another. I have been a "diet" yoyo for many years with losing and gaining back the same five pounds. I want this year to be different, so with that being said my January resolutions:
    1 - stay committed to improving my health
    2 - exercise within my physical limits, but exercise
    3 - stay within the MFP calorie goal per day
    4 - log my meals daily and weigh-in weekly
    5 - lose one pound
    It's a start.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,217 Member
    Options
    KJ - WOW! That is some serious work there! :flowerforyou: You are sooooooo creative! The younger generation do have baby showers over here, but it is not a big thing. We never had them in my day and I've never been to one. Certainly wouldn't want to host one! I hope she appreciates all your hard work. <3

I've done my hair, and I'm in the process of doing my nails. Got a key and instructions sorted for our nice neighbour. Just in case. Last time we had a really bad storm the contact breaker tripped, which would be a disaster for our huge freezer in the kitchen. We have oak flooring. :o

Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • pj4437
    pj4437 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello! Found your post inspiring! Thank you!
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Daughter up and out the door to meet friends for breakfast, so I will pop back on and chat.
    Mia- beautiful work! I love the color and pattern combinations!
    Allie- So much good advice from these ladies! I can't really contribute any, but I do know, from knowing couples who have tried and failed at "house sharing" while divorcing (or just after); letting Tom live with you during this time would be a mistake. Love and hugs to you, friend. <3
    Beth- My cousin saw the children's book based shower foods and has decided to use it at her elementary school (where she works) to kick off Children's Author month (I think that is next month). I think it would be fun to have an adult book party, like for a book club, and have foods based on adult literature. THat would take some thought and planning, though.
    Chris in MA- How wonderful that you are able to mentor a boss/coworker IRL! Of course you can! You are an inspiration to many of us!

So many more I want to chat with, but I am SO tired. I need to get up and go for a walk to wake myself up; because coffee doesn't seem to be working.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,925 Member
    Options
    :)Kelly, what an awesome display of goodies and creativity for the baby shower. Thank you for showing us what it looked like.

:)Allie, based on my experience with a marriage that ended in divorce, I recommend that you get him out of the house as soon as possible and get the house sold so you can live somewhere (even with your father for awhile) that isn't full of reminders of him. It's time for the "new you" to have a life.

:) Our anniversary day was so pleasant that we'll do it again today. Spending time together is always fun.

<3 Barbie
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,753 Member
    Options
    Chris in MA .... I would say you're a healthy role model here too!!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Kate UK: Congratulations on losing the holiday pounds +1! WTG! :flowerforyou:

Alison: One day at a time. You are getting great advice from wise women on this thread. (((HUGS)))

Cheri: Enjoy your trip to Disney! :bigsmile::

Kelly: This looks like the makings of a great baby shower! :smiley:

Chris in MA: It sounds as though you are enjoying your new job and coworkers. You've given your new boss excellent advice. :star:

FourLynne62: Welcome to a great group. You seem to have made a good start. Stop by often for support. :flowerforyou:

We still have cold temps and snow on the ground. Our projected high for the day is 31F. Local TV weather reporters have been saying that there will be a rapid warm up this week with a possibility of flooding in a widespread area. Smaller creeks that flood frequently have been mentioned as the most likely flooding spots. (They have been saying this for several days.) We live beside the Columbia River and it may get deeper, but is less likely to flood than the smaller creeks & tributaries. We have FEMA flood insurance if worse comes to worse.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

January 2017 Resolutions:

1: Log every bite and swallow;
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on strength and stamina.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least 3 glasses of water a day.
    5. Monitor sleep. Average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Just stopping by to say hi.

Rita
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,118 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Lenora- the Kettlebell burns 20-25 calories/minute compared to 8calories/minute for most other exercises. That is because of the muscle after burn which continues to burn calories 3-4 hours after exercising. I entered it under cardio because on my MFP I can't enter anything under strength training. Go into settings-exercise-cardio and enter minutes-20, calories burned 20or25/minute then save it. Or 400-500 calories. I enter the lower of 20. When you then click on exercise it will show up and you can enter however many minutes you worked out and it will calculate that for you.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • azsundancer
    azsundancer Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Lenora- the Kettlebell burns 20-25 calories/minute compared to 8calories/minute for most other exercises. That is because of the muscle after burn which continues to burn calories 3-4 hours after exercising. I entered it under cardio because on my MFP I can't enter anything under strength training. Go into settings-exercise-cardio and enter minutes-20, calories burned 20or25/minute then save it. Or 400-500 calories. I enter the lower of 20. When you then click on exercise it will show up and you can enter however many minutes you worked out and it will calculate that for you.

<3

Mary from Minnesota

Thanks for this ... it's confusing. Do you have a particular step up plan on ~increasing Sets/ Reps with the KB? That was something I was going to looki into today as I am all over the place with the Challenge .. crunches, sit ups and squats.