Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,584 Member
    Options
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Did an hour on the Stairmaster today. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Ripped Circuit Speed 20 DVD since we have a Newcomer general meeting. I don't remember what that one's like

Sherry - your minion cartoons are a hoot

One reason I use a grocery list is so that I don't impulse buy. The other reason is if I didn't, I'd forget something. You have no idea how many times Vince has forgotten something but I remember it only because I have it written down.

Pooshka - I remember you! Welcome back

Alison - great looking bed. So happy for you. Hope things work out at work and she doesn't try to change things too much

Off to help Vince put away some of the Christmas decorations (outside) so we can make room to put the rest away.

Michele in NC
  • msfanglet
    msfanglet Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    HI there..Stuck inside in NorCal due to flooding. The roads are literally washing away! Who has a great beginner workout youtube suggestion? I don't have any machines, so basic low impact videos. I have been looking, but got a bit overwhelmed, so I thought I'd just ask here. I am currently doing 30-45 mins of yoga daily. I want to add on
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,264 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Our painter friend is here putting the sealer over the stains on the ceiling. He will come back for the painting. I've given him a mug of "builder's tea" and a slice of Christmas cake. :D

For lunch we had egg and cress sandwiches. Mine was an open sandwich to save on carbs. Do you have cress in the US? We buy the cress growing in a plastic pot. I sometimes grow it myself, with mustard, on the windowsill. It is my favourit sandwich ever. Don't like mayonnaise on them, just hardboiled eggs mashed up with a bit of butter and lots of seasoning. Yummy yum yum. :D When I was a child and I went to parties, I never used to eat the sweet stuff, just all the egg sandwiches. :laugh:

I took myself to my recumbent bike and did an extra 222 calories to add to my 248 yoga total. That means I can EAT !

A diet programme on TV tonight, plus my favourite 24 hrs in A&E.(ER) Did I ever tell you I am a doctor/surgeon manqué? :laugh:

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! It's beautiful here today, and after the weekend's hard freeze the high today is supposed to be 80 degrees. It's very windy too, and that blows tons of cedar pollen and whatnot into the air so just about everybody around here is coughing and sniffling and hacking. That's life in the pollen belt!

Re - Thinking good thoughts for your knee. I hope you're able to find comfort soon! Swimming is easy on the knees - is that a possibility?

Pooshka - Welcome back! I conquered flossing procrastination by putting a package of floss on my desk. Now whenever I'm waiting for something to load on the computer, or for someone to send something, I get my flossing out of the way.

Canookie - Here they are! The pionus is Six and the galah is Kiki (a.k.a. the Pink Peril). They're sweet birds. Kiki has the most ridiculous pink cartoon voice, and the cats are afraid of her.

q6qywecjnhp6.jpgz6v0i1ecufdw.jpg

Karen - Thank you for the book recommendation. I'm going to see if our library has "Hardwiring Happiness."

I split yesterday's workout again, half on the Nordic Track and half on the exercise bike. Wasn't sure how the knee would handle the ski machine, but so far so good. I have to see my doctor before she'll refill my hypertension meds, so I thought I'd ask her for a referral to physical therapy. (You can't see a PT here without one.) We don't have much to spare, but I think a few sessions might help make sure I'm on the right track with recovery after my accident.

My sister and her family gave us a three-meal gift certificate to HelloFresh for Christmas. We've made two of the meals so far, and they were good. All three meals have a higher calorie count than I'd have expected though - between 550 and 600 calories. Nonetheless it's been kind of fun for me and my husband to cook together, and with everything measured out for me, I feel like a TV chef!

Have a lovely day, everyone!

-Yvonne in TX
  • angiee2366
    angiee2366 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good morning all- trying to kick start my motivation - hoping I can gain some motivation from y'all :)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Cat in VA: I always chose healthy food, but I ate way too much of it. When I started on MFP I bought a food scale and dishers to measure my portion sizes. They worked miracles, but those miracles took time and weight drops were intermixed with plateaus when I did everything right but the weight didn't shift. Don't give up on the process. It works well but more slowly than we wish. On the plus side, I learned to keep the weight off along the way. If you're stubborn and stick with it, you will, too. :flowerforyou:

Joyce: Thinking of you. I hope things go well. Congrats on the new hairdo. :smiley:

The Better Becky: Congratulations on your success. :star:

Becca: You are doing great! (((HUGS)))

Pooshka2: A DH is a dear, darling or d*mned husband. Welcome to a great group. :flowerforyou:

Alison: Your bed is gorgeous! :smile:

NYKaren: A two pound weight gain in one day? Did you eat a box of salt? If so, water will help. (((hugs)))

Lisa: Eye surgery for DH is tomorrow. thanks for your good wishes. :flowerforyou:

Heather: I'd love to have your recipe for shin of beef stew. It sounds yummy. I love egg salad sandwiches. Egg salad=hardcooked eggs, mayonnaise, with a bit of mustard and salt & pepper to taste. :bigsmile:

Rita: I don't actually know why some RV parks don't accept older rigs, other than to keep out the "riffraff." I was told this by an RV salesman who had an older model for sale because the owners bought new. Friends of ours have an RV that was new in the 1980's or 90's. They are members of Thousand Trails and have had no troubles that they've mentioned to us. :flowerforyou:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

• spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    msfanglet wrote: »
    HI there..Stuck inside in NorCal due to flooding. The roads are literally washing away! Who has a great beginner workout youtube suggestion? I don't have any machines, so basic low impact videos. I have been looking, but got a bit overwhelmed, so I thought I'd just ask here. I am currently doing 30-45 mins of yoga daily. I want to add on

I started with Leslie Sansone walking videos she does various distances 1, 2, 3 miles I've now joined a gym but still do Leslie if I can't get out. Good luck and keep coming here as some great ideas and motivation

Kate UK
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Katla not a bottle of salt, a bag (LARGE) of doritos, there I have admitted it, I will move on! NYKAREN
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Just tried edamame beans but found them a bit bland what can I do to spice them up and still keep low carb

Kate UK
  • Jaja99
    Jaja99 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Karen in Va- thanks for your kind words! Love the plow. I could have used that this week. Your pups are so cute!

Cat in VA- I’m sorry you have not found relief. The first doctor I went to was useless and his expensive inserts and shots did not help at all. The second doctor I saw has been amazing. His shots work so quickly and help for years. I have also bought some shoes from an expensive specialty shoe store. They did help and have held up well. Being able to walk is worth the cost! Good luck with your weigh in. But don’t be discouraged if the scales don’t show results right away. So many other factors can have short term effects- salt, hormones, fluid retention, muscle weight replacing fat, and the list goes on. Do you eat all of the exercise calories? Do you use a scale for high calorie items? It sounds like you are doing good things. Don’t let the scale discourage you!

Michele in NC- we must have been on the same page. I had broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, green beans and a half a baked sweet potato yesterday. I also had spaghetti squash with chili on it. And the remains of a bag of Butterfinger Baking Bits. Which are really crushed candy bars disguised as baking supplies. Oops! I’d better not buy those again.

Beth- Fish sperm? Lol. I’ll never look at chia seeds the same way. I don’t cook with them. I toss some in a smoothie, in my oatmeal, or on a salad. When I remember.

Heather UK- your trip sounds like it will be so much fun. I hope you will post pictures! I am not sure about the availability of cress in the US. I don’t think I have had it, at least not knowingly. I can get watercress through this greenhouse that delivers greens to my house every week, but I haven’t tried the watercress. I googled it to see if they were the same and the answer is depends. Well, watercress is going to go on my next order. What seasonings do you use in your egg? It sounds like something I’d like to try.

Re in Tx- thanks for the info on sending messages. Good to know the trick. I hope your knee gets better quickly. Would an insert in the shoe of your shorter leg help? Or a special shoe? At least as a temporary measure? Good luck with your physical.

Dr Katie- I can relate to how difficult it is to give up books you love. I have been slowly whittling down my collection. They take up space and the dust they collect isn’t good for my allergies or my grandson’s. But at least you know they are going where someone will appreciate them and you will have space for other books you want.

No school/work for a second day due to Saturday’s snow. Yesterday my daughter took me to a medical appointment because my car rides so low and the roads are mostly unplowed. It was nice to spend time with her without the grandkids for a change. Then we went to Wal Mart and got to just chat while picking up a few things.
    Jana in VA
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Re - you say your knee bothers you at night - Just a thought: Do you have back trouble? When I am having sciatica from my low back it travels down the side of my leg and settles in my knee. It is so miserable, keeps me from sleeping, and has me constantly seeking a position to ease it, but it all comes from my back.

Marnie - so glad you are lighter! Yeah!

I have my best success when I pre-log and adjust my food to fit 100 carbs, 100 protein, and 30 fat grams. Today nothing sounds good to eat. I work this pm so I think I will at least have scrambled eggs and grape tomatoes for lunch and let the inspiration for dinner hit me latter.

Toni in Tennessee
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Katla - thank you ever so much for the suggestion to use one of those flossers. Now I don't mind at all flossing my teeth. I think I just had this "thing" about putting my hands in my mouth. Thank you so much, I'll never forget that tip

yvonne - adorable birds

Rita - I never knew that some RV parks don't accept older RV's! Learn something new every day

NYKaren - I don't like Doritos, but I did have some chocolate chips today (there, I admitted it, too)

Kate - I usually don't eat the edamame beans plain but put them in something like soup. Oh, Heather, thank you so much for the suggestion of putting the skirataki noodles in soup! That's another suggestion I'll never forget

Jana - I love spaghetti squash with either tomato sauce or chili sauce on top. If I'd have had some, I would have had it.

Heating up some water for tea then out to help Vince. He didn't need me before, but I'm going to go out now.

Michele in NC
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I forgot to say -

Yvonne - the birds are lovely. I imagine my kitty would be intimidated by a statue of a bird let alone to chirpy ones like yours!

Allie - beautiful bed!

Toni
  • grward612
    grward612 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Re in TX – GREAT JOB ON THE WEIGHT LOSS!!

I love everyone’s pics!! Please keep posting! Heather (CityJaneLondon) … what a cool pic! And don’t worry so much about the over-indulging … just adjust the following day and move on.

Regarding Panhanders: I’ve seen “helping bags” on facebook for panhandlers. You put in several items in a zip lock bag that just about anyone asking for handouts could use, including a few small bills. I’m out in NoWhereVille so I don’t run into this … but everytime I see those bags I think it’s a wonderful idea.
    Yvonne – Blood donation is a great thing! I will have to find a location near me … I think you gave me the motivation I needed to do it.

For EVERYONE who is experiencing turbulence in your life … You are in my thoughts. Life is always a challenge and I hope you find some peace when visiting this thread. It has done me wonders! Always know that everyone everywhere goes through turbulence. I love reading down through all the posts and absorbing all the interesting comments being shared (wishing I could respond to each and every one of them!)
    Mary, I’m always impressed with your workouts! GREAT JOB!

KJLAMoor - I love shoveling snow! One of my favorite things to do for a workout. Most people just think I’m crazy!

Rita – hang in there!! We are all rooting for you, so don’t forget all the cheerleaders you have in this group! I worked with someone who had depression often and I know it’s a powerful thing. I used to tell her “Fake it Til’ You Make it”, she would give half a smile but then tried it a few times. On her worse days, she would come into the office smiling and PRETENDING to be happy. It helped somewhat. I don’t think it’s something that will work for everyone, but always worth a shot!

Charlene – absolutely beautiful quilt!

For those losing the posts they type up – someone suggested typing in Word and then copying over. That’s how I post now and works great!

Everyone enjoy their day today and those in the cold climates like me … KEEP WARM!
    Glenda
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,759 Member
    Options
    Cat in VA … weigh everything … vast difference between size and weight … and it can make a huge impact.

Canookie … thanks for the infographics. My initial reason for trying chia was to up Omega-3s. Neither my husband nor I will eat quinoa .. we tried.. we really tried. Good job with the 3.8 pound weight loss!!

DrKatie … LOL! Kiss my Math!!

Allie … don’t borrow trouble from tomorrow … just one day at a time! And enjoy that bed! It’s beautiful!

NYKaren … I’m back at it today as well … my oreo binge put me up 1.5 pounds. Now you know that’s not real weight … lots of bloat … but it has to stop.

Lanette … I am a self-proclaimed “germaphobe.” I practically wash my hands raw during flu season … but then I also haven’t had the flu in years.

Well, one of my goals for January is to log everything. I haven’t completed my entries since the 1st. I don’t think logging just the morning meals and conveniently ignoring the afternoon food choices is going to cut it. So honestly completing log diary is now the updated goal … Oreos (Doritos and Chocolate Chips) and all.

Beth near Buffalo
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,264 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Jana - Watercress is not the same, but I like it very much. It is peppery. The area where I live is famous for watercress. I love it in soup, but you need a lot. Cress is much smaller and is often combined with mustard sprouts to make "mustard and cress". I just mash a bit of butter in the eggs and salt and quite a bit of freshly ground pepper. It is a very 50s treat. :laugh:

Katla - My shin stew was wonderful, but I used a whole small bottle of beer, when I think a little less would have been an improvement. I made it the usual way, just using the beer instead of wine. It has to be cooked a looooooong time. I had mine with hot, English mustard on the side. :D For flavour I used a gel stock, some Worcestershire sauce and a tablespoon of tomato puree. I fried the floured beef first., before adding onions, garlic,carrots and celery. Really rich. <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    NYKAREN A few months ago I ate almost an entire box of multigrain crackers. OMG! I was stuffed, mad, and self-loathing. So I just went right ahead and ate the last few crackers to finish up the box, so I could log the whole dang box. Which I masochistically did (log the entire box). :#:#:#

Marni Nice, nice weight loss!!

Heather I did not know you were a doctor/surgeon in your dreams!! I suspect you could do anything you set your mind to...

Chia Seeds Never had them, but now looking forward to trying them. Thickener, antioxidants, good fats, fish sperm...oh, I can hardly wait!

Getting rid of books This was made forever easier for me to do the day I saw my mom throw some hardback books in the trash can. I was aghast. She said the library didn't want them, she had already tried to sell them at a yard sale, and they were in her way! That was before the days of recycling, and we didn't have any easy way of donating items in our little town at that time. Somehow, the "hard cover" made discarding a book taboo in my mind...since then I have thrown away, recycled, and donated many books, and have many more to go. They are, after all, just bound paper, and often have no value at all...old outdated college texts, old reference books, PDRs, all kinds of books often "look" important, and were at one time, but in fact, are now just clutter. Also journals and magazines, most of those get recycled now. I still have way too much paper clutter. And they are heavy to move from house to house, I might add!

Yvonne in TX Love the birds!!! Wonderful!

Karen in chilly Virginia
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Chiming in while the kids nap: This pound of veg thing is GREAT!! I am getting the majority of it in my dinner; which is lowering my breakfast and lunch calorie count and allowing me a little wiggle room for dinner. I have already been planning in my head how I am going to figure my veg for next week. I need to stock up on some frozen veg, just bc I like to have it there in case I need a quick veg for the kids or the family; but I am going to pick out a bunch of veggies and just pile them into the scale in the produce dept. I figure about 9 or 10 pounds depending on how much trimming each veg needs... BUT: I have a ton of veg in the fridge for the shower; so I probably won't have to buy as much this week.
    My average pound this week is being consumed something like this: Zucchini in the morning with egg whites, hollandaise made from the yolks, and half cup of cottage cheese for the protein. A large salad made with romaine, spinach, cucumber, tomato, and usually some chicken cubes, then a small portion of whatever I make for DH and DYS for dinner.
    Everyone - thanks for the green tea advice. The water has been going down a bit easier yesterday/today, and I am not stressing about drinking too much tea.
    Glenda- I LOVE shoveling! (No, that is not sarcasm) I like the quietness of the morning when I do it. I am out there at about 5/5:30am and the snow and darkness seems to muffle all man-made sound. It's just me, the soft scrape of the shovel, the pfwhump of the snow tossed, the creaking of the trees and occasional sound of a far off snow blower. My brand of meditation and early morning boot camp all rolled into one! Yea, SNOW!
    Beth- Oh, don't talk about Oreos! I am dreading making those Pinterest white chocolate covered Oreo baby rattles, tonight! I even bought the "blond" Oreos, bc who likes to smile and have chocolate cookie between their teeth?! I think I will leave room in my calorie count for hot cocoa. If I have this, the Oreos should be safe from me.