Just for Today ..... Daily Commitment Thread- Start of a new year!

Options

Replies

• Saragirl2
    Saragirl2 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Day 2 (Aug 25): Goals

- Keep carbs under 90g
    - Finish the day with cals to spare
    - Drink at least 8 glasses of water
    - No sugar
    - Walk for at least 30mins

As I'm reading this thread and getting to know you all I thought I should post a little history for those of you who know nothing about me...

I gained 65 lbs in the last two and a half years due to some unexpected medical complications. I'm working very hard to lose this weight before my third wedding anniversary (next Oct), so that I can surprise my husband by wearing a dress that I wore on our first New Years Eve together.

The aforementioned medical complications affected my hormones, which drastically affected my moods and therefore my will power. Having always been an emotional eater, I had a very hard time of it and ended up packing on the pounds.

Once my hormones started normalizing and I felt more myself again I started recording my calories here, and I realized that I had been eating between 3000 to 4000 calories a day!!! On days where I would go out to eat, it was closer to 5,000!!!. I knew this HAD to stop.

I am now setting short-term goals as well as long-term goals. Starting with my vacation in France, which is coming up in two weeks time. My goal there is to remain the weight I am now and not gain while away. I will keep you posted each day. I will also be taking a business trip right after I get back home. That will be TOUGH as it will be my 1st time away from my husband in 3 years AND I will be eating in restaurants for 2 weeks!

I am now much healthier, so I know that the willpower will help...but I'm nervous for the next 2 months. I'm trying to remain optimistic and I'm looking forward to getting back into shape. I am working towards my goal slowly, as I cannot yet workout very much... We shall see how it goes!

Sounds like your on the right track! :smile:
  • Saragirl2
    Saragirl2 Posts: 630 Member
    Options

Drink 9 cups of water.
    Track everything.
    Meditate/rest 20 mins every afternoon (try to on vacation). Use Calm App.
    Walk the dog in am.
    Bought healthy foods to keep on hand.
    Walk/cycle everyday while in Canada.
    Do not cave into food pushing...
    Resist weighing myself on my parents old clunky scale. Trust that my efforts will pay off.
    Do some floor exercises everyday to offset not going to the gym.
    Grateful to spend time with family & friends.

• skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Today only two goals, and they count for the rest of the week:

1) Don't be nervous about the future
    2) Enjoy family time without guilt.
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,097 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that I can't be part of the baby discussion... I only have an observation to make... It does seem to be the year of the baby. Six of my friends are pregnant right now! It's so lovely to see them all glowy and happy. Good luck to all of you mothers and those of you wishing to be! I admire you.

Now I'm going to post about my boring health stuff. Lol. It's important to keep myself on track!

Goals for today: Completed!
    - Be a Good Girl!!!✅ Stick to my calorie goal today✅ (within 50 cals) and drink TONS of water✅ so that I can lose the 3+ Lbs of bloating from my over eating adventure yesterday. (Damn you Sushi!!!! You are Too delishious for.me to resist!!!!!)
    - Remain positive about my body and where I'm headed.✅

You can be part of the baby discussion lol!
    I kinda stopped doing goals when I got pregnant because let's face it I'm only going to get bigger!!

My backstory is I'm 25yo, living in the U.K.
    Before I met my OH I was working in a cafe in a gym. Being around personal trainers (and managing to blag one for free) I started to get pretty fit! I was the smallest I've ever been for quite a while!
    I've not ever been massively overweight. My BMI is in the lower end of overweight. I just want to drop 2 dress sizes! Which is around 30lb! U.K. 14 to a UK 10

But I feel like I've been pregnant since 2014!
    This is probably my last child, gender depending. If it's a boy it's definitely the last, if it's a girl then we will have to wait for a while and see if we can afford another one.
    After my last pregnancy I told my partner I didn't want to get pregnant just so I could get my body back and get fit again to be ready for the next pregnancy and I lost about 8lbs since Jan. But it's happened now lol!

I have 2 kids, 3 yo and 1yo and I'm a stay at home mum. So I'm forever tired!
    I'm hoping not to put on too much weight during this pregnancy but so far I've been pretty up and down emotionally and my scales have no battery so no idea what the damage is yet lol!

I'm gonna be posting baby stuff til March next year haha and pretty much everyone on this thread is kind of part of it :)
  • bookmeister86
    bookmeister86 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Just because a lot of people do it, does not mean that it is a good idea. A lot of obese mothers have babies too, but they are creating huge and unnecessary risks for themselves and their children. My mother is a doctor who works with children who have genetic disorders, and one of my closest friends is an OB-GYN. I hear lots of horror stories! Why become a horror story if you don't have to?

There are really two issues--increased risks for mother and baby, plus declining fertility. You never know what will happen as you age either. I lost my uterus to a tumor at age 35 and then no longer had any choice in the matter. I waited too long and did not get to have any children.

I'm sorry that happened to you, it must have been awful. I can understand where you're coming from a lot better now.

I'm coming at it from the other end of the spectrum. I'm 31 and conscious that I probably need to get on with having children in the next few years. But I'm still not completely decided that the partner I'm with is the right one.

Which means that even though the low risk action in terms of fertility/baby health would be to get on with it, I don't think it would be right for me to bring a child into the world if I think its family might split up early on. Similarly, I don't think it would have been right for my mum to have a child when my dad was out of work and suffering from severe mental health issues.

In my view, there are more factors to consider than just fertility and health risks. Those are very, very important, yes. But other things (family stability, mental health, money) have to be weighed up as well. And sometimes that might mean having children later than is recommended, and sometimes (tragically) that might mean not being able to have any. I'm prepared for that to happen (or perhaps not prepared - but aware it might).

I do agree with you though that you shouldn't become a horror story if you don't have to. It's important to consider your choices very carefully to make sure of that. And it's important to be clued up on the risks as well. I could probably do with a trip to the doctor to get myself educated.

Anyway.... as it turns out @HGSmith0920 is only 28, it feels like we are all worrying for nothing in this case! I'm glad @HGSmith0920 appreciates our caring :smile:

• bookmeister86
    bookmeister86 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Not a lot of time this morning so will keep it quick!

Going to Paris this weekend so will catch up with you all on Monday!

Yesterday's commitments -

- Log everything I eat - straight after each meal :'(
    - Make healthy choices at lunch and dinner :|
    - Watch portion sizes/ no of sushi :| a few too many sushi....
    - No snacks except ryvita :)
    - 1 water for each alcoholic drink :'(
    - 30 + minute lunch break :)
    - Meditate :/
    - Read 1.5 papers today :'( papers take ages!!!
    - Leave work by 5.30pm :):) 5pm!

Today's commitments -

- Log everything I eat
    - Be in the green
    - No alcohol
    - No snacks except ryvita

- 30 + minute lunch break
    - go for a walk
    - Read 1.5 papers today
    - Make a plan for not over eating in Paris!
  • SweatsOnSunday
    SweatsOnSunday Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    ^ Those are some great goals, @slittlemeister! Enjoy Paris!
  • MLHC1
    MLHC1 Posts: 678 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @PrincesseAly23 We are here for you!! This group is a great support / motivation team!! I think the best thing to do is to stay accountable. When you hold yourself accountable then you start making different decisions at restaurants, grab-n-go snacks, etc. For example, yesterday I aloud myself to be controlled by my emotions but I logged everything. This holds me accountable and I don't worry about judgement with these friends because we've all been there. Just keep in mind, where you have cell service or Wi-Fi you have this support / motivation group right here :) Good luck and enjoy both of your trips!

8/25 Friday JFT:

Don't get overwhelmed
    Get back to healthy calories
    Email Dr. In charge of research project
    Finish prepping for school
    Take donations to donation center
    Small grocery trip
    Run on elliptical
    Day 5 of 28-Day Plank Challenge
    BB-Workout
    Dinner by 7 pm
    Bedtime by 11 pm
  • PrincesseAly23
    PrincesseAly23 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much @MLHC1 !!! I really really appreciate the positive support! <3
  • cschmitz110515
    cschmitz110515 Posts: 3,514 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm offline one day for training, and this thread has tons of discussions! I think each and every one of you is amazing, each has her own journey & plan. You all inspire me so much!

Recap Th 8/24 Had in-house training 0830 to 1630.
    1) walk dog before training = 3.43 miles & happy dog :smiley:
    2) hold my tongue in training = Did pretty good at this...can't show up the Asst. Manager :wink:
    3) net calories green = Big win! The speaker brought 2 flavors of donut holes, which I love, and he placed both containers on the end of MY table. I did not eat one! Instead, I ate my freggies (thanks @azulvioleta6) & egg that I brought and drank total of 12c of water for the day plus my iced tea. Green for the day! :smiley:
    4) declutter something!!!! = No, exhaustion set in and I fell asleep on the couch :/
    5) unwind 9:30 / bedtime and TV off 10:15 = got up from couch after 10:15 and plopped into bed and straight to sleep...guess I needed that :)

JFT F 8/25 No dog walk before work, I kept hitting the snooze button, guess I still needed sleep.
    1) It's co-worker's birthday, and cake from scratch today in office. I can't avoid it, since we meet in a conference room to share. But I will take a small piece, and just maybe, not even finish it.
    2) Make progress on current work project, so I'm in a good place for the next 4 weeks
    3) Use Calm app, pause & pray
    4) Grocery shop, short list thanks to farmers market
    5) Walk dog while salmon is marinating
    6) Make caprese salad while salmon is baking
    7) Bedtime by 10:30 / farmers market by 7:30 a.m.

Long list for me today, want to get lots done! Have a safe and happy Friday everyone!
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I think I might have forgotten to write a JFT for yesterday, so here's today. Mine are pretty boring since my main focus is simply committing to weighing (not measuring) and logging (not estimating) everything.

JFT:
    1. Meditate (did already this morning)
    2. Weigh and log EVERYTHING
    3. Work on my anxiety with breathing exercises and staying in the moment. Anxiety issues at an all-time high right now and I'm trying not to spiral.
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    THursday
    1. work on power washing the siding :) What a job!! But, I washed the front of the house, and now the side!
    2. power wash and try and clean rug :) And they came out beautiful!
    3. log all food :)
    4. concentrate on water :)
    5. rip out what I have been sewing on :s I am making a quilt, and now trying to "quilt" it by machine -- made a mess! I have knots all over the back of the quilt! For myself, it wouldn't matter, but this is going to be a gift for a friend. So ..... I know I'll spend a week ripping out what I've done, and then resewing it, doing what I am comfortable in doing. So much for trying to learn something new! :) I have about 1/10 of it ripped out :/
    6. work in the yard :)
    7. look up website and come up with meal ideas :/ Day and nite got away from me

JFT, Friday
    1. finish power washing siding
    2. laundry
    3. weed in the yard
    4. log all food
    5. lay out gym clothes for tomorrow morning. Already went today - but my ankles hurt, so I did the ellipitical and some weights
    6. drink water
    7. attempt to rip out more of the quilting
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,351 Member
    Options
    @Slittlemeister: I cannot even imagine being able to say "I'm going to Paris for the weekend." That sounds so awesome! I know I will never see Paris in my lifetime but man, I'd sure like to. Have a GREAT time!

@PrincesseAly23 So nice of you to tell us about yourself! Glad to have you join us. Enjoy your trips. I know how it goes with traveling for work and eating in restaurants for weeks. It's tough! I finally found a little mom & pop cafe that I went to for my meals and found I could get healthier choices than at a fast food place. The nice part was that I was staying at a hotel where I could swim or workout at the end of the day to work off some of those calories too. What I wouldn't give to have a pool at home....sigh. :)

@wanderinglight I have struggled with anxiety for over 20 years. It came on as I was going through divorce from my first husband. Anxiety to the point of panic attacks. It is a horrible feeling that I had to work really hard to overcome. I'm still prone to anxiety and certain situations can trigger panic feelings in me but I have done many things to try to overcome them. Feel free to send me a private message anytime you need to talk. I can't check messages all the time, but just know I empathize with you and I'm here if you ever need to talk to someone who "gets it". You are doing great and I'm so glad you joined us!

@cschmitz110515 It's Art Street this weekend! Do they still have the Farmer's Market? Are they just on separate ends of downtown? I'm thinking Art Street is down by Walnut Street more...? Sounds like you did great with the donut holes. I would never in a million years have been able to ignore a box next to me!

@joan6630 Do you normally do the quilting piece by hand? I'm going to attempt to teach myself how to do the quilting by machine starting with stitch in the ditch method but I'm certain I will be pulling my hair out along with stitches shortly after trying it! LOL
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    Just for Thursday:
    1. Hydrate 65+ oz water :)
    2. Take a walk...no matter how long or far. Just walk. :/ I had such bad joint pain yesterday that I didn't take a walk. However, I was teaching yesterday and so I was standing and moving around a classroom for 5 hours. My FitBit didn't pick up many steps, but I felt like I had ran a marathon! (That is what happens when you get old, @Bex953172 Ha!)
    3. Eat less than yesterday. Journal it. :)
    4. Stay positive at work. Use music to tune out negativity around me. Just work through the tasks. :) I actually helped an angry customer on the phone, who my colleagues did not want to call, and had her smiling and happy by the time we hunt up. Was a great feeling!
    5. Keep a smile in my voice no matter whether it is during class I'm teaching today, talking to coworkers or on the phone. Be positive. :) See above.
    6. Prepare for tomorrow before going to bed :)
    7. Bed1 hour early, sleeping by 10:00 :/
    8. Be grateful for another day <3

Hi everyone! I've been trying to find ways to be more productive at work and to get rid of some of the stress. One of the stressors I have is the number of emails I get in a day. It's seriously crazy. Does nobody just pick up a phone and call to ask questions anymore? Anyway, I have decided that instead of emailing back and forth, I am going to go back to the days before all the techy stuff and CALL or WALK OVER AND TALK to people to answer their email questions. It will cut down on all the back-and-forth replies and 20-questions games, and it will give me back some of my work satisfaction since I'm a People person and miss the interaction. So, we'll see how that goes...

Just for Friday:
    Hydrate
    Eat less than normal and journal every bite
    Listen to Optimal Living Daily podcast
    Take a walk. No distance or time goal. Just take a walk.
    Be grateful for today and for having 'enough'
    Be a positive influence at work. Smile in my voice. Twinkle in my eye. Music to tune out negativity.
    Bed early so I can get up and go to Farmer's Market, Art Street and the Hunting show at Lambeau Field tomorrow.
    Be really present at dinner with DH tonight. He's grilling tenderloin steaks for us. Yum.

Have a wonderful Friday!

• PackerFanInGB
    Options
    @Bex953172 I almost forgot. I was reading posts last night in bed but too tired to reply. I think it is a boy too! Not sure why. Just think it is.
  • cschmitz110515
    Options
    [quote="OConnell5483;c-40315636
    @cschmitz110515 It's Art Street this weekend! Do they still have the Farmer's Market? Are they just on separate ends of downtown? I'm thinking Art Street is down by Walnut Street more...? Sounds like you did great with the donut holes. I would never in a million years have been able to ignore a box next to me![/quote]

Yes it's Art Street weekend! :smiley: Traditionally, the blocks north of Walnut St are for Art Street, and the market is on Washington St south of Walnut. Hubby and I are hoping to go to Art Street this year, since we're not in Door County (our vacation week in the past). Not sure which day though.
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,221 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

@joan6630 Do you normally do the quilting piece by hand? I'm going to attempt to teach myself how to do the quilting by machine starting with stitch in the ditch method but I'm certain I will be pulling my hair out along with stitches shortly after trying it! LOL

No, I do not do any quilting by hand. I usually do stitch in the ditch, but I also know how to do free motion quilting - usually just stippling, meandering, or loops! But this quilt, which is the tenessee waltz, was more complicated. I "thought" I would just stitch around the colored areas - following the curves, and then do free motion quilting in the white blocks using a stencil. Well, by stitching in the ditch following the curves, its a lot of stopping and starting! So the back of my quilt looks like a birdnest! Plus, my points don't all match, so it really shows, especially from the back! Then, I attempted to do FM quilting, using a stencil - another mess! I can't really stipple the entire quilt since I had already done the stitch in the ditch. SO I am ripping out all the stitiching in the ditch I did, and decided to just meander quilt the entire thing - it hides all those imperfections! If this was just for me, I would keep it like I have it, but since its a gift, I want her to like it! . Lesson learned --- plan ahead --- and if its a gift, do not attempt something youve never done before!!! rgdj686jzf1r.jpg
  • cschmitz110515
    Options
    Hi everyone! I've been trying to find ways to be more productive at work and to get rid of some of the stress. One of the stressors I have is the number of emails I get in a day. It's seriously crazy. Does nobody just pick up a phone and call to ask questions anymore? Anyway, I have decided that instead of emailing back and forth, I am going to go back to the days before all the techy stuff and CALL or WALK OVER AND TALK to people to answer their email questions. It will cut down on all the back-and-forth replies and 20-questions games, and it will give me back some of my work satisfaction since I'm a People person and miss the interaction. So, we'll see how that goes...

I think you have a wonderful idea! And it will add to your movement / steps during the day if you walk over. Back in the day when I had a staff (much younger than myself), I had to instruct them to call or walk over to another dept. to get answers to their questions. I did not want all communication done via email, especially since we were all (pretty much) in the same building, and I felt it built up a rapport between depts. Also, it avoided the "20 questions" you referred to. I must be an old fogey. :wink:
  • cschmitz110515
    Options
    @joan6630 Your quilt is beautiful!
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options

@wanderinglight I have struggled with anxiety for over 20 years. It came on as I was going through divorce from my first husband. Anxiety to the point of panic attacks. It is a horrible feeling that I had to work really hard to overcome. I'm still prone to anxiety and certain situations can trigger panic feelings in me but I have done many things to try to overcome them. Feel free to send me a private message anytime you need to talk. I can't check messages all the time, but just know I empathize with you and I'm here if you ever need to talk to someone who "gets it". You are doing great and I'm so glad you joined us!

Thank you so much. I work on it daily and sometimes it's better than others. My surgeon said yesterday that my ankle surgery was going to be "major" and with a "difficult recovery" and that has thrown me into panic mode. I hate anticipating pain and with several "major" surgeries under my belt already I know that he is not exaggerating about how tough it will be.