Just for Today ..... Daily Commitment Thread- Start of a new year!

Options

Replies

• wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    MLHC1 wrote: »

@MLHC1 I had repair of a tear in my knee earlier this year and I still have pain with walking. I wonder if a brace like that would help? I hadn't thought of it since it's supposed to be "fixed", but I haven't been able to actually take a walk through the neighborhood since the surgery. I'm going to check it out!

I have been able to go from two periods of 6 weeks on crutches to full brace walking with a limp to regular walking with brace to walking without brace........now I'm running, cycling and exercising without my knee brace. I only use my knee brace for martial arts and when we go trail cycling (mountains, etc).

I'm so sorry to hear it is still an issue. I LOVE that knee brace (and ankle brace)!! Let me know if you try it out, I hope it helps ;)

That ankle brace is the exact one I've been wearing in the pool for walking and light swimming. For walking around and every day activities, I'm wearing one that combines the lacing with the cross-velcro straps for 8 point stabilization. It's a lifesaver and it's the ONLY reason that my surgeon has said I can go on my honeymoon to Italy and Amsterdam in two weeks :)
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,221 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

ONLY reason that my surgeon has said I can go on my honeymoon to Italy and Amsterdam in two weeks :)

Are you getting married in 2 weeks!! And a honeymoon to Italy and Amsterdam!!!!! :) Congrats!!!
  • mytime6630
    Options
    @joan6630 I'm not pregnant yet, but the DH and I had a long serious talk about our goals for the future and when children come into the picture.

The DH is 34 and his body is rather quickly starting to deteriorate after many many years of self-inflicted abuse. He knows that isn't getting any younger and that he thinks it's time to seriously start thinking about having children. But on the other hand, we talked about me going back to school and finishing my degree. So pretty much it boils down to either school or babies. And as much as I want to finish my degree, I think I want babies more. But I did apply to my local community college and am going to sit with an advisor and see what exactly I need to do to finish my degree. We dont want to start trying to have babies until the beginning of next year, so if it's only one or two classes that I need maybe I can take them as an accelerated winter class before we start having babies. I dont know yet though...there are a lot of things up in the air and a lot of things I have to make a decision. But whatever I decided I know that the DH with stand behind me, but I also know that he is firm in his stance that it has to be one or the other and I will abide by that.

Geriatric pregnancies start at age 35. You might want to sit down with your GYN or a reproductive endocrinologist as well as with a school counselor. In addition to increased difficulty in getting pregnant, you may be putting a future child at risk by waiting longer. Paternal age at conception makes a difference too.

I think this has changed, hasn't it? I know when I had my kids it was that way, but it seems people are having children much later in life now, with no problems.
  • MLHC1
    MLHC1 Posts: 678 Member
    Options

That ankle brace is the exact one I've been wearing in the pool for walking and light swimming. For walking around and every day activities, I'm wearing one that combines the lacing with the cross-velcro straps for 8 point stabilization. It's a lifesaver and it's the ONLY reason that my surgeon has said I can go on my honeymoon to Italy and Amsterdam in two weeks :)

That's Awesome!!!! :D

Congratulations on your wedding and honeymoon!! Italy and Amsterdam will make an excellent honeymoon.....my advice, enjoy every minute and DON'T WORRY about ANYTHING, just be in-love and have fun :D
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,097 Member
    Options
    joan6630 wrote: »

ONLY reason that my surgeon has said I can go on my honeymoon to Italy and Amsterdam in two weeks :)

Are you getting married in 2 weeks!! And a honeymoon to Italy and Amsterdam!!!!! :) Congrats!!!

Oooo Amsterdam! Where were you going to visit there? :)
  • MLHC1
    MLHC1 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    MLHC1 wrote: »
    8/23 Wednesday JFT:

✔Coffee w/ my husband :)
    ❌Take an additional amount of donations to donation center (more toys and clothes)
    ✔Clean and organize family room and office
    ✔Small grocery trip (need some soup :D )
    ✔Son to football practice 3:30 - 6:30; everyday :p
    ✔Run on elliptical
    ✔Day 4 of Plank Challenge
    ✔BB-Workout (just do it before 5 pm)
    ✔Dinner by 7pm (definitely making the Kung Pao Chicken tonight)
    ❌Budget meeting w/ hubby --> R/S
    ✔Bedtime by 11 pm

• cschmitz110515
    cschmitz110515 Posts: 3,514 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Since Th is all-day training, I'm updating tonight.

Recap 8/23 Wed. challenge: happy hour w/ former colleagues at pub
    1) Walked dog 3.4 miles before work, perfect weather = happy Carmela & dog :smiley:
    2) Look up pub menu online before happy hour and select something lower in calories = did this & selected Santa Fe chicken salad :D
    3) At pub, focus on the company of friends / have 1 adult beverage / order selection from #2 = had a great but too short time with friends :smiley: and ordered the salad even though I really wanted the fried perch plate with french fries. o:) Had one 12oz beer :)
  • cschmitz110515
    cschmitz110515 Posts: 3,514 Member
    Options
    Something screwy happened to my update. Cont'd.
    4) Prep Th snacks for another in-house training day from 8:30 - 4:30 = done & remembered water bottle, iced tea container and dismiss move alarms :)
    5) Net calories w/i 100 green = really close, red 104. Maybe filling all bird feeders / baths plus watering all planters burned 4 calories? :)
    6) Bedtime w/ TV off 10:15 / walk dog Th a.m. / plan to

JFT The 8/24
    1) walk dog before training
    2) hold my tongue in training
    3) net calories green
    4) declutter something!!!!
    5) unwind 9:30 / bedtime and TV off 10:15
  • josephinebowman
    josephinebowman Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Let's see-- calories (had onion soup, did well on this), exercise YES, dishes/laundry/floor (sort of), need to mow (did it all on riding mower before rain), and going to stand over kid at computer (2 hours).
    Thursday -- watch calories, drink water, exercise, dishes/laundry/trash, school work.
  • HGSmith0920
    HGSmith0920 Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options

JFT, 8/23/17

1. Log all food :)
    2. Keep in green :)
    3. Do dishes :)
    4. Clean living room :)
    5. Dinner in the crock pot by 11 :DMore like 1:30 Lol. But it was a fast cooking recipe so it worked out just fine
    6. Clean out car :)
    7. Clean bathroom :)
    8. Have DH pick up MIL by 5 :)I drove but he came with me. For some reason, he refuses to drive my car. No idea why since it's newer and in a lot better condition then his is
    9. Enjoy dinner with MIL :)
    10. Return MIL by 8 :/9pm
    11. Wind down by 930 :|Got home at 9:30
    12. Bed by 1030 :'(Doubtful

Had a great dinner with the DH and MIL. She was relatively well behaved and was walking around so well! She spent 9 months in a hospital bed after complications with open heart surgery. She had a trachea 6 of the months. It's amazing she can breathe unassisted, let along talk like a normal human being. Her voice is a bit scratchy but her recovery since she got out of the hospital in June has been *kitten* amazing! I think her level of crazy has died down since she had her heart attack as well. Got her home later than I wanted though. So now it's 10 pm and I have a sink full of dishes to do and a bed calling my name. So I'm going to post my goals for tomorrow, finish the dishes and then hit the hay!

JFT, 8/24/17

1. Log all food
    2. Stay in green
    3. Make an actual lunch for work!
    3. Keep drawer balanced
    4. Ask for help if I need it
    5. Make something simple for dinner
    6. Get eggs from Mom
    7. Make egg salad
    8. Baseball and cuddles
    9. Wind down by 10
    10. Bed by 11
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options

Thank you so much for all the enthusiasm!! I was actually married four years ago (that's me in my profile pic) but we had to instantly jump into "real life" tough stuff. I had been in a bad accident and needed back surgery, then his parents were both diagnosed with serious illnesses (Parkinson's and ALS) so we moved across the country to take care of them. Then his stepbrother stole all of his mom's money while she was dying, so she moved in with us and we took care of her until she passed away in February of this year. To say it's been a rough few years is an understatement, but we have leaned on each other and faced the tough stuff together.

I've been to Amsterdam several times and Rome just once, back when I was single. Cannot wait to go back now that I'm in love. <3<3
  • mytime6630
    Options

Thank you so much for all the enthusiasm!! I was actually married four years ago (that's me in my profile pic) but we had to instantly jump into "real life" tough stuff. I had been in a bad accident and needed back surgery, then his parents were both diagnosed with serious illnesses (Parkinson's and ALS) so we moved across the country to take care of them. Then his stepbrother stole all of his mom's money while she was dying, so she moved in with us and we took care of her until she passed away in February of this year. To say it's been a rough few years is an understatement, but we have leaned on each other and faced the tough stuff together.

I've been to Amsterdam several times and Rome just once, back when I was single. Cannot wait to go back now that I'm in love. <3<3

Wow - you have been through a lot! I hope you have a awesome honeymoon! You certainly deserve it!
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    skymningen wrote: »

And tomorrow:
    1) Get to work early to be prepared for meeting. :)
    2) Eat more fruit :|To some extend. I ate some melon and nectarine. I wanted to finish the melon though and didn't.
    3) Again, do not stress out about not hearing from the fellowship. :|Yes, I try not to think about it, but this waiting game is wearing me out.
    4) Pack stuff for visiting family during weekend in the evening :|Threw something together. Whatever. Mum said 'casual', so I will be fine unless I come naked.

I am so tired today. Just haven't been sleeping well all week and just going on and on. I have been telling myself, that I will recover during a weekend of being fed and allowed to sleep in as much as I want, but now I feel I need more than just a weekend and I am a little scared to gain from being fed and especially being fed the type of food my family makes. Not unhealthy junk, but lot's of carbs. Lot's. And too large portions. And I cannot eat less if grandma cooks anyway, and if mum cooks they still would be worried that I am starving. Uh.

So today? I am not sure. I will put here what I wanted to plan to do, although now I really just want to work, come back and sleep.

1) Go to gym after work
    2) Write all of my stuff for the book chapter
    3) Do the dishes when home and make the bed.
    4) Don't freak out about being tired and stressed and nothing happening.
  • bookmeister86
    bookmeister86 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    @joan6630 I'm not pregnant yet, but the DH and I had a long serious talk about our goals for the future and when children come into the picture.

The DH is 34 and his body is rather quickly starting to deteriorate after many many years of self-inflicted abuse. He knows that isn't getting any younger and that he thinks it's time to seriously start thinking about having children. But on the other hand, we talked about me going back to school and finishing my degree. So pretty much it boils down to either school or babies. And as much as I want to finish my degree, I think I want babies more. But I did apply to my local community college and am going to sit with an advisor and see what exactly I need to do to finish my degree. We dont want to start trying to have babies until the beginning of next year, so if it's only one or two classes that I need maybe I can take them as an accelerated winter class before we start having babies. I dont know yet though...there are a lot of things up in the air and a lot of things I have to make a decision. But whatever I decided I know that the DH with stand behind me, but I also know that he is firm in his stance that it has to be one or the other and I will abide by that.

Geriatric pregnancies start at age 35. You might want to sit down with your GYN or a reproductive endocrinologist as well as with a school counselor. In addition to increased difficulty in getting pregnant, you may be putting a future child at risk by waiting longer. Paternal age at conception makes a difference too.

I think this has changed, hasn't it? I know when I had my kids it was that way, but it seems people are having children much later in life now, with no problems.

Yes, it has. Expectant mothers of 35+ are now called 'advanced maternal age ' rather than 'geriatric'. We are healthier for longer these days and therefore having children at a later age is easier and safer than it was.

From what I understand, it does get harder after 35 and there is an elevated risk of complications. But it is not like there is a cliff edge at 35 where the risks shoot up. Like anything, changes happen gradually.

And as ever with statistics, 'higher' risk can still basically mean 'fairly low risk'. I remember when I went on the pill, my mum sent me this article from the newspaper saying how the pill increases chance of blood clots. I took it to the clinic and the doctor was very impatient (with the newspaper). Yes, it increases it....but from something like 0.0001% to something like 0.0002%. Technically that's a 'doubled risk'... but not really changing the odds at all!

I have no idea what the statistics are on babies aged 35, but I would imagine they are much better than people think they are. 1 in 5 babies is born to a 35+ year old mother.

Also: I'm a child of a 35 year old mother and look how well I turned out? :wink:

For my parents, it wasn't appropriate to have kids before then. They didn't have the money and until that point my dad had been in and out of work due to mental healthy issues. Waiting was the right decision for them.

@HGSmith0920 Probably worth you talking to your doctor about this - to get an informed view and advice? But most of all... enjoy this time! It's super exciting! :-)

• bookmeister86
    Options
    @OConnell5483 @joan6630 Happy to have inspired you both! Now the challenging thing will be to keep this motivation up till Christmas - we'll have to help each other!
  • bookmeister86
    Options
    Yesterday was pretty good - day 2/4!

Today will be challenging as I'm going out to eat TWICE. Dinner will be ok as we're going for sushi which is light (as long as you don't eat too much of it that is). But lunch might be more challenging as I'm not sure where we're going yet.

- Log everything I eat :)
    - No snacks except ryvita :)
    - No alcohol :)
    - Be in the green by 250 (exercise calories) :) 252!!! :)
    - 30 + minute lunch break :)
    - Meditate :)
    - Listen to music to boost mood :)
    - Read two papers today :neutral: 1.5 I tried to read one at the gym but struggled as (a) it was long (b) reading on the exercise bike is actually really hard if you're putting in effort!!! I'll finish off today
    - Leave work by 5.30pm :/ 6.20. Not good. I have to stop doing this. Since coming back to work I've been really conscious of how little free time I have - I have to maximise it!
    - Go to gym after work and burn at least 250 calories (not much but I'm still only allowed to do light exercise which restricts what I can do) :smile:
    - Check out gym classes :smile: None looked suitable right now, but quite a few looked fun so might try when I'm allowed to do 'strenuous exercise' again! I might do zumba like @joan6630!

Today's commitments -

- Log everything I eat - straight after each meal
    - Make healthy choices at lunch and dinner
    - Watch portion sizes/ no of sushi
    - No snacks except ryvita
    - 1 water for each alcoholic drink

- 30 + minute lunch break
    - Meditate
    - Read 1.5 papers today
    - Leave work by 5.30pm
  • bookmeister86
    Options

I have no idea what the statistics are on babies aged 35, but I would imagine they are much better than people think they are. 1 in 5 babies is born to a 35+ year old mother.

Just to be clear, by 'babies aged 35' I meant having babies @ 35 years old. I do know quite a few 35-year old babies (mainly male) but I wasn't meaning them...

Laughing at my own joke now :smile:
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

In some ways it has changed, in some ways it hasn't. The ability to become pregnant naturally still drops off at the same age, and it becomes much more difficult, but there are more fertility treatments available, and maternal care of older women has improved. The risk of chromosomal defects goes up starting in the 30s and continues to climb. That has not changed. I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but there might be people reading this who would take it as true, and many many childless people wish they had known the real odds of a successful pregnancy before it was too late for them.

But don't listen to me either. Don't just listen to some people on a weight loss forum, if having children after 35 is a possibility in your future, LOOK IT UP AND READ ABOUT IT AND TALK TO A REAL DOCTOR.
  • PrincesseAly23
    PrincesseAly23 Posts: 440 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I wish I had found this thread months ago! The idea of having a daily achievable goal seems like the PERFECT way to stay accountable and to accomplish your long-term goals in a managable and realistic way!

I hope you don't mind me posting so late into the year...

SW: 200.6
    GW: 145

Goals for today:
    - Be a Good Girl!!! Stick to my calorie goal today and drink TONS of water so that I can lose the 3+ Lbs of bloating from my over eating adventure yesterday. (Damn you Sushi!!!! You are Too delishious for.me to resist!!!!!)
    - Remain positive about my body and where I'm headed.
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options

There is a significant increase of genetic diseases like trisomy 21 in older mothers. But what we learned in the clinical genetics lecture was, there is also an even more significant increase in the ability to give a special needs child what it needs. So basically: They have a little bit increased risk, but they have a larger increase of the life quality of any child they will get (as it was right to wait for your parents).