Things people do that annoys you in the gym.

Options

Replies

• Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    kaizaku wrote: »
    Erik8484 wrote: »
    katadx wrote: »
    Stupid question, but do most people wipe down those textured metal dumbbells? I've only had experience using the smooth shiny ones (which are easy to wipe down) but with the metal grippy ones I'd be concerned about rusting or something like that. Is wiping these down typical gym etiquette?

I've never wiped down a dumbbell or seen someone wipe down a dumbbell.

But I've seen people putting their dirty foot on it while killing time in between sets.

Tens of thousands of hands have touched every single surface in the gym. How many of them do you think forgot to wash their hands after visiting the bathroom?

Everything washes off in the shower, not worth worrying about :)
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Stupid question, but do most people wipe down those textured metal dumbbells? I've only had experience using the smooth shiny ones (which are easy to wipe down) but with the metal grippy ones I'd be concerned about rusting or something like that. Is wiping these down typical gym etiquette?

You vacuum those
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

But I've seen people putting their dirty foot on it while killing time in between sets.

Tens of thousands of hands have touched every single surface in the gym. How many of them do you think forgot to wash their hands after visiting the bathroom?

But before you have the shower, your hands will touch your mouth, , rub your eyes if it's itchy. So many men don't wash their hands after using the bathroom. Unhygienic, unethical people. They tend to go hand in hand.
  • SisypheanWorkout
    SisypheanWorkout Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    tjkita wrote: »
    When someone walks by and farts then continues on.

Hey, things happen sometimes when you're working with heavy weights but "crop dusting" is never cool.
  • tsortsor
    tsortsor Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    When one of those monster gorilla roid monkeys are done there 2nd set and sit on the bench out of breath recovering for 10 minutes. Takes them 30 minutes for one exercise. That annoys me. I can be done my workout in 30
  • djchaney3
    djchaney3 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Annoys me when you get a group of people (normally high schoolers) that stand at a machine for 15 min talking and as soon as you ask if they are done they start using it... Then after one set another 15 min of talking...

NO LIFTING ON THE TALKING MACHINES ALLOWED!!!!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    tsortsor wrote: »
    When one of those monster gorilla roid monkeys are done there 2nd set and sit on the bench out of breath recovering for 10 minutes. Takes them 30 minutes for one exercise. That annoys me. I can be done my workout in 30

Ask to work in.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

Generally you only wipe down soft or flat surfaces. I might wipe down the handles on a kettlebell and dry them before I start, just to make sure they're dry, but I can't say I've ever thought to wipe down grippy handles after.

I might wipe a handle down after, if I ripped a callous or bled on it, but just sweat, probably not.

OMG, people bleed on the equipment, too? I never considered that before. Just more fodder for my nightmares... :o:s
  • SDCook37
    SDCook37 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I would say locker room etiquette. The folks that undress to shower and have their wet clothes and the remainder of their belongs spread out all over the floor and benches. My usual gym has decent sized locker rooms, but no one wants to have to navigate through that stuff
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Women who moan LOUDLY at random intervals during spin class or bootcamp. Yeah, I get that you're expending a lot of effort. So is everyone else. Your random loud cries are startling and SUPER annoying.
  • kaizaku
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    Women who moan LOUDLY at random intervals during spin class or bootcamp. Yeah, I get that you're expending a lot of effort. So is everyone else. Your random loud cries are startling and SUPER annoying.

I've never heard a woman moan at my gym. :lol:
  • fitandy2016
    fitandy2016 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I must be different to everyone else because I hate it when no one talks to me. Although there are times when I want to just get on with my treadmill workout, and focus. It is annoying when someone is breathing really loudly next to you, or someone next to me has a loud conversation with another person. Usually I wear headphones connected to the TV screen on the treadmill and it helps me block out the annoying time wasters. Sometimes though, I want to make friends with others but it is really impossible. Most of the people at my gym are pensioners
  • kaizaku
    Options
    I must be different to everyone else because I hate it when no one talks to me. Although there are times when I want to just get on with my treadmill workout, and focus. It is annoying when someone is breathing really loudly next to you, or someone next to me has a loud conversation with another person. Usually I wear headphones connected to the TV screen on the treadmill and it helps me block out the annoying time wasters. Sometimes though, I want to make friends with others but it is really impossible. Most of the people at my gym are pensioners

Although I like to train and concentrate without talking. I don't mind talking at all. You won't find many who would just talk unless they came with a friend.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

Neither have I, but in terms of infecting others, one is more likely to have a germ or virus transfer from touching a dumbell or other types of lifting bars than from sitting / lying on an unwiped bench surface.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,507 Member
    Options

I've never heard a woman moan, period.

Wait. That's not true.

I've had a couple of blind dates in my lifetime.
  • kaizaku
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

Wait. That's not true.

:smiley:
  • browneyedgirl749
    browneyedgirl749 Posts: 4,984 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

Wait. That's not true.

:lol: you are killin me!!
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

There is a guy at my gym who I have witnessed going straight from the bathroom stall to the exit without washing several times. The gym doesn't offer paper towels, so I either do this stunt where I fling the door open with my shoe or wad up toilet paper to use when I pull the handle, because although I can shower later, I don't want to walk around with this guy's *kitten* germs on my hands for an hour.
  • kaizaku
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »

There is a guy at my gym who I have witnessed going straight from the bathroom stall to the exit without washing several times. The gym doesn't offer paper towels, so I either do this stunt where I fling the door open with my shoe or wad up toilet paper to use when I pull the handle, because although I can shower later, I don't want to walk around with this guy's *kitten* germs on my hands for an hour.

This will make me have OCD
  • littlewolf3785
    littlewolf3785 Posts: 2,592 Member
    Options
    1) When people stare at me while I try to work out.
    2) Waiting to use one of the weight machines or free weights when someone has been on there for a long time.
    3) Over use of grunting, bad language and yelling
    4) When the machines aren't wiped down.
    5) Best one yet, watching men go by with their chest puffed out, stomachs sucked in and walking around the gym all impressed they just bench pressed that weight acting like a cave man for the ladies.
    5) Hog the mirrors right by the free weights.