10 a Day (800g) Veggie&Fruit Challenge Participants Check in!

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I didn't feel like logging everything

Breakfast -- oats (about 3 servings)
    cauliflower rice
    banana
    blueberries

Lunch -- big salad (about 4.5 servings)
    chickpeas
    romaine, spinach, boston lettuce (cup of each)
    cucumber
    olives (do these count?)
    radishes
    broccoli

Dinner -- made big soup (about another 5)

white beans (can't count, since I counted the chickpeas)
    celery
    carrots
    potatoes (don't count? I forget if they do for this challenge)
    tomato
    cabbage
    kale
    leeks (everything is better with leeks, I'm part Welsh, after all!)
    onions

12 or 12.5 servings
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

cauliflower rice
    banana
    blueberries

chickpeas
    cucumber
    olives (do these count?)
    radishes
    broccoli

celery
    carrots
    tomato
    cabbage
    kale
    onions

12 or 12.5 servings

I count potatoes for one serving if they have the skin on; per UK rules they don't count.

Everything is DEFINITELY better with leeks--one of my favorite vegetable to grow. Was this a minestrone type soup, or just regular vegetable soup? Soup is sounding really good now...
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I made the veg count but today was a high calorie day. Hungry all day long. And no movement because I am in Houston area and it was cold and icy...pretty much shut everything down. Oh well, today's another day :)

Banana
    1/2 svg

Lunch - Meal Simple premade meal I just popped in the oven. Sprimp Vindaloo with vegetable blend. I'm assuming a full serving of veg

1 svg

Dinner - Rice and beans - beans cooked with onions, tomatoes and corn, counting beans as 1 and veg as 1

2 svg

Snacks - (turnip, radish, cabbage, snap peas, tomato, carrot, celery, blueberries)

6.5 svg

10 servings
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

srk369 wrote: »
    I made the veg count but today was a high calorie day. Hungry all day long. And no movement because I am in Houston area and it was cold and icy...pretty much shut everything down. Oh well, today's another day :)
    s

Cold and icy in Houston? What's up? Is the world turned upside down?
  • lemurcat12
    edited January 2018
    Options

cauliflower rice
    banana
    blueberries

chickpeas
    cucumber
    olives (do these count?)
    radishes
    broccoli

celery
    carrots
    tomato
    cabbage
    kale
    onions

12 or 12.5 servings

I count potatoes for one serving if they have the skin on; per UK rules they don't count.

Everything is DEFINITELY better with leeks--one of my favorite vegetable to grow. Was this a minestrone type soup, or just regular vegetable soup? Soup is sounding really good now...

Just kind of a use up stuff I have around vegetable soup.

And agreed, this kind of weather makes me want soup. I have leftovers, so know what I am having tonight.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,202 Member
    Options
    Jeez, I dunno - borderline, I think.

100g mixed berries in oatmeal

112g winter squash
    95g tangerine

Restaurant salad, plus spinach/tomato/guac on veggie burger (not counting the burger; who knows what the heck is in that *baby-feline*!) - maybe 3 servings all told?

65g celery
    35g orange bell pepper
    114g cucumber
    32g tomato
    30g fermented beets

So, 583 in gram-y stuff, which is just over 7 servings, plus maybe 3 servings at the restaurant = close to 10, maybe?

It'll have to do. ;)
  • abowersgirl
    abowersgirl Posts: 3,409 Member
    Options
    Lettuce 85 x 3
    Chickpeas 118
    Mushroom 66
    Onion 42
    Carrots 67.2
    Celery 128
    Corn 216

These were all mixed between lunch and dinner
  • French_Peasant
    Options
    Well, yesterday was an interesting day, ending up with my husband and I working out at the Y from 9 to 10 pm LOL. ( we have to go a certain number of times a week to be reimbursed by insurance, and we have been so swamped lately we are getting behind). I did manage to get my veg in however.

120 g salsa (I eat this with scrambled eggs when I can get them in the morning)
    85 g romaine
    90 g raspberries
    100 g raw cauliflower (worst. snack. ever.)
    200 g banana
    2 servings Southern green beans
    1 serving baked beans
    1 serving juice

So about 11 1/2 servings total.
  • abowersgirl
    abowersgirl Posts: 3,409 Member
    Options
    Banana 126
    Cucumber 280
    Onion 40
    Mushroom 18 x 4
    Broccolli 228
    Banana 63

Over 800
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    100g mixed berries

136g pineapple

65g winter squash
    274g beets
    245g onions
    138g broccoli
    43g elephant garlic
    87g shiitake mushrooms

= 1088g, 13.6 servings

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Breakfast- 1 serving
    Lunch- 2 servings
    Dinner- 1 serving
  • Fififox9
    Fififox9 Posts: 23 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Hi - well I missed the party...back to work this week so my time and planning was a bit erratic. The good news is that I have continued vastly increased levels of veg intake...not so much fruit. My logging has been approximates due to time issues and I couldn't weigh and was eating parts of bigger batches as sides, mains, etc. so hard to track exact 80g equivalents. The good news though is that after 2 weeks on my new regime I am 8 lbs lighter, have finally entered the right headspace to do this journey for the long haul and am feeling fantastic...more energy, clear headed, etc. I will try to log exact portions now over the weekend and join you posting. Apologies for not doing it in a more systematic measured way but I am delighted I joined this because I am eating super healthy with new super tasty veggie recipes inspired by this challenge ☺
  • lemurcat12
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Last couple days were almost exactly like the 16th, as I've been just eating the same basic stuff. Today is work lunch (we'll see) and I am traveling part of next week (Mississippi) so expect to have a much harder time meeting the challenge. (I don't yet know how long I am traveling -- have a one way ticket to Jackson, which I think needs to be a country song.)
  • French_Peasant
    Options
    Fififox9 wrote: »
    Hi - well I missed the party...back to work this week so my time and planning was a bit erratic. The good news is that I have continued vastly increased levels of veg intake...not so much fruit. My logging has been approximates due to time issues and I couldn't weigh and was eating parts of bigger batches as sides, mains, etc. so hard to track exact 80g equivalents. The good news though is that after 2 weeks on my new regime I am 8 lbs lighter, have finally entered the right headspace to do this journey for the long haul and am feeling fantastic...more energy, clear headed, etc. I will try to log exact portions now over the weekend and join you posting. Apologies for not doing it in a more systematic measured way but I am delighted I joined this because I am eating super healthy with new super tasty veggie recipes inspired by this challenge ☺

What fantastic progress you have made! I agree, veg makes SUCH a huge difference....we are always being told that, but it is so illuminating to see it for ourselves. Congratulations on your great work! What have been your favorite things that you are eating?
  • French_Peasant
    Options
    Last couple days were almost exactly like the 16th, as I've been just eating the same basic stuff. Today is work lunch (we'll see) and I am traveling part of next week (Mississippi) so expect to have a much harder time meeting the challenge. (I don't yet know how long I am traveling -- have a one way ticket to Jackson, which I think needs to be a country song.)

Jackson!!!

Is there anything more adorable than Johnny and June sassing each other in this song? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GvD_NQrLFo

We got married in a fever, hotter than a pepper sprout,
    We've been talkin' 'bout Jackson, ever since the fire went out.
    I'm goin' to Jackson, I'm gonna mess around,
    Yeah, I'm goin' to Jackson,
    Look out Jackson town.
    But they'll laugh at you in Jackson, and I'll be dancin' on a Pony Keg.
    They'll lead you 'round town like a scalded hound,
    With your tail tucked between your legs,
    Yeah, go to Jackson, you big-talkin' man.
    And I'll be waitin' in Jackson, behind my Jaypan Fan.

Just eat huge piles of greens and beans alongside your BBQ, y'all! You can do it!
  • French_Peasant
    Options
    Okay, so I am sitting here laughing at myself because I thought maybe I had 5 or 6 servings of veg yesterday, but turns out I had substantially more. Just a good example of how much our minds can trick us! It was just one of those days where I couldn't even make a trip to the bathroom, had to grab a stuffed pretzel for breakfast, and had to throw away much of my lunch because I just didn't have time to eat the whole thing.

So here is the tally:

1 T tomato paste (at least, stuffed in pretzel)
    2 1 C snowpeas
    1.25 100 g romaine
    2 2 cups potato leek soup (just counting the leek half because no peels, LOL)
    2 1 c applesauce
    1 .5 c chopped tomatoes and cukes on salad
    .5 50 ish grams avocado
    2 150 g banana
    1.5 120 g raspberries
    1 left over Cub Scout juice box that I drank just before bed to try to get another serving in :D
    _____

The potato-leek soup was at a restaurant, but now I am wondering if there are any acceptable peels-on recipes. I make Julia Child's recipe, and it seems a shame to mess with perfection.

• French_Peasant
    Options
    Breakfast- 1 serving
    Lunch- 2 servings
    Dinner- 1 serving

One thing that I have found to be very helpful for increasing servings is to pack a bag of fruits for snacks, even if I am not packing my lunch. So, for today I have a banana, a container of sliced strawberries, and a dry pint of blueberries (I won't eat the whole thing, it was just faster to toss the whole thing in and later mix it with the strawberries).

Another helpful thing is the list of "cheats" that I have lined up. They are not actually cheats, but just lack the sense of purity and suffering that comes with a lovely afternoon snack of raw cauliflower. :D So for me the really easy things to eat are the serving of juice, freeze-dried fruits I get at Target (I go by the number of servings listed on the bag), hummus to count as a bean serving, and Terra Sweets n' Beets chips dipped in guacamole.

It definitely takes a lot of preparation and work to hit this challenge!
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Okay, so I am sitting here laughing at myself because I thought maybe I had 5 or 6 servings of veg yesterday, but turns out I had substantially more. Just a good example of how much our minds can trick us! It was just one of those days where I couldn't even make a trip to the bathroom, had to grab a stuffed pretzel for breakfast, and had to throw away much of my lunch because I just didn't have time to eat the whole thing.

So here is the tally:

2 1 C snowpeas
    1.25 100 g romaine
    2 1 c applesauce
    .5 50 ish grams avocado
    2 150 g banana
    1.5 120 g raspberries
    1 left over Cub Scout juice box that I drank just before bed to try to get another serving in :D
    _____

The potato-leek soup was at a restaurant, but now I am wondering if there are any acceptable peels-on recipes. I make Julia Child's recipe, and it seems a shame to mess with perfection.

Try pureeing the cooked peels in blender or food processor, using whatever recipe. Gives the soup freckles, but I find the texture/look acceptable (though I'm not one who highly values "velvety" or "silky" soup - I prefer it a little more texture-y. ;) ).

I'd more likely make potato soup with the potato middles, and hold out the skin with a decent flesh layer to dice and add at the end. With sweet corn. Maybe roasted sweet corn. <Wanders off toward kitchen, wondering how those red-flesh potatoes would do in soup with roasted sweet corn and a big slug of roasted elephant garlic . . . .> .
  • French_Peasant
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

So here is the tally:

2 1 C snowpeas
    1.25 100 g romaine
    2 1 c applesauce
    .5 50 ish grams avocado
    2 150 g banana
    1.5 120 g raspberries
    _____

Try pureeing the cooked peels in blender or food processor, using whatever recipe. Gives the soup freckles, but I find the texture/look acceptable (though I'm not one who highly values "velvety" or "silky" soup - I prefer it a little more texture-y. ;) ).

I'd more likely make potato soup with the potato middles, and hold out the skin with a decent flesh layer to dice and add at the end. With sweet corn. Maybe roasted sweet corn. <Wanders off toward kitchen, wondering how those red-flesh potatoes would do in soup with roasted sweet corn and a big slug of roasted elephant garlic . . . .> .

You have given me courage. If it warms up enough this weekend to pull some leeks, I will do some experimentation. :)
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

So here is the tally:

2 1 C snowpeas
    1.25 100 g romaine
    2 1 c applesauce
    .5 50 ish grams avocado
    2 150 g banana
    1.5 120 g raspberries
    _____

You have given me courage. If it warms up enough this weekend to pull some leeks, I will do some experimentation. :)

Please report back . . . even if you decide I'm out of my mind. (I'm strong; I can take it. ;) )!