10 a Day (800g) Veggie&Fruit Challenge Participants Check in!

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Back to almost normal the past couple of days (meaning yesterday and so far today), relief. Crazy stressful week, but being back home helps.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    It's opening my eyes. I've never really cared about nutrition. I've counted calories and macros, but never paid any attention to vitamins, etc.
    Like when I went to weight watchers and they said fruit or a candy bar--it's all carbohydrates. In my old age--I am 68 and have Fibro, cfs, arthritis, etc. I'm trying to pay more attention to healthy food. I'm just learning to balance things better.
    I love vegetables, summer fruits, but just have to learn to incorporate them more regularly, not so sporadic.
    Satiation, no, it doesn't really help.

Good show! Nutrition isn't always an immediate payoff, but I think I've seen medium- to long-term benefits in health, energy, and vitality. (I'm 62 myself, BTW, so not a kid either ;) , and with a bit of the long-haul traveler's baggage - osteoarthritis, hypothyroididm, etc.).

Personally, I feel like reducing what I think of as "filler foods" (bread, pasta, etc.), and increasing veg/fruit, has made the flavor/texture profile of my eating more varied & pleasurable, too - but I know that sort of thing is very individual. :)

I'm sorry it's not been magically satiating for you - it is for some, and that's certainly part of the picture for me.

Best wishrs!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    American flour is bad for me. Makes everything hurt, as well as makes me bloated, etc. I try to avoid flour and soy. Boy, do I feel sorry for all those
    People who really HAVE TO avoid it. There is flour and soy in EVERYTHING. I do eat some non gmo, unbleached, etc. flour, but it definitely isn't my favorite food. Also eat crackers, cookies made in Europe. Again, not a weakness, just occasionally.

Hunger is not a problem for me. I eat more because the clock says it's time than because I'm hungry.

My mom wasn't a great cook. I never ate vegetables growing up. Not sure how much it was just because I preferred candy, and how much was because my mom boiled all veggies until they were mush. But I eventually learned that they were sometimes good. I didn't start learning how to cook them myself until I was 50 or so. So I'm a very late starter. But I'm catching up.

I definitely! Have more energy. Not quick, crazy energy, but lasting, follow-through, make it to the end energy.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    8 servings today
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Good job.

I've stopped logging again, although I am comfortable that I've been eating my 10+. Going to try to log again starting Monday.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I hosted a baby shower for my niece yesterday, so the previous couple of days have been a hot mess for me involving a lot of cake, plus fast food (and the very unwisest of choices therein...like french fries, my nemesis) with all the running around and trying to keep the kitchen clean.

On Saturday, we tried to stop at Culvers, and it was ape-crap crazy, so we went next door to iHOP, where OF COURSE I had to get the Bananas Foster Brioche French Toast. So, with some extra banana, that was a serving, ha ha!

And then Saturday night we tried to go to two different sushi places, and both were absolutely bonkers with lines out the door, so we went to the Arby's that was next to the 2nd one (not that I would have gotten much veg at the sushi joints, but I would at least have very low calories and no access to fried mozzarella sticks). Interestingly, at 6:30 on a Saturday night, in a city in the heart of the Midwest, Arby's was abandoned, and the sushi joints (also a sushi-hibachi joint we drove by) were bonkers. I found that to be a very interesting data point.

Back on track today--I have a lunch bag stuffed full with fruit and veg from the shower (and NO CAKE).
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Went with the huge breakfast salad today. My cat woke me up at 3:30 am by dropping a toy on my head (I didn't take the hint, so mean!) and when trying to go back to sleep I started thinking "I really want a salad with butter lettuce and spinach and an orange" and luckily I had those things so for breakfast did a giant salad with them and misc other veg I wanted to use (including some brussels and half a turnip which I roasted).
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Back on track yesterday!

2--red raspberries
    1--tomato paste
    2--California blend
    1--marinara over lasagna
    3--steamed broccoli
    .5--burger fixings
    1.5--banana
    3--mixed fruit left over from baby shower

This morning I am making my way through a 6-oz clamshell of blackberries...I really wish I had some french toast and whipped cream, ha ha! Much tastier that way.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    More fruit than usual today so far. I am actually much more consistent about vegetables than fruit, but whenever I do eat more fruit (I still always eat more veg than fruit), I always realize that I tend to feel better when I do. I love fruit.
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    I just realized this challenge exists. I'll play. This is yesterday's food.

100g banana
    95 g baby carrots
    200g steamed cabbage with
    60g apple
    100g broccoli
    200g total vegs in chicken veg stew, figured using recipe calculator (carrot, parsnip, celery root, turnips, sweet red peppers, onions, butternut squash)
    400g watermelon
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    While I haven't checked in to the challenge lately, I'm still in the building . . . just spending too much screen time on other threads. ;) Be back soon to catch up. :)
  • beaglady
    Options
    Wednesday's food

100g banana
    120g baby carrots
    80g black beans (actually more)
    225g vegs in black bean chili (tomatoes, tomato paste, onion, green and poblano peppers, butternut squash)
    200g total vegs in chicken veg stew, figured using recipe calculator (carrot, parsnip, celery root, turnips, sweet red peppers, onions, butternut squash)
    160g grapefruit

• AnnPT77
    Options
    K, gonna spare you full details of catch-up. Last Thurs/Friday were a write-off. I probably got 5+ at least on Thursday, but I was too lazy to log a veggie-heavy appetizer buffet at a reception. Friday was just plain sub-fab.

Saturday: 1113g = 13.9 servings
    Sunday: 1071g = 13.3
    Monday: 883g = 11.0 (but there would be several more if I could count all the legumes! ;) )
    Tuesday: 634g = 7.9. I counted 165g of commercial veggie-topped cauliflower crust pizza as 100g veggies, which is a wild guess).

Wednesday:
    100g mixed berries
    100g guess for other half of cauliflower pizza
    191g winter squash
    56g sauerkraut
    152g celeriac
    123g celery
    108g cucumber
    125g tomatoes
    80g guess for soybeans in 134g tempeh, 'cos legumes, plus other ingredients
    33g onions
    32g jicama

Total: 1100g = 13.7 servings.

Today's not over yet, but this catches me up on previous days.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Been pretty good lately, and been logging again since Monday.

Yesterday (meals jumped, but I had a smoothie, lentil/vegetable soup with fruit on the side, and tofu with noodles and veg and spices (vegan bulgogi):

Breakfast: about 100 g cucumber, 100 g kale, 50 g avocado, 100 g strawberries, 50 g mango, so about 5 servings

Lunch: lentil soup with tomato, onions, carrot, celery (I can only count the lentils as one serving, the other veg was about 1.5 servings), plus 150 g mangos -- I'll call that around 4-4.5 servings

Dinner: tofu and veg with noodles dish, with ginger and sriracha -- green pepper (50 g), onions (40 g), broccoli (120 g), mushrooms (60 g), some bean sprouts I did not measure -- 3+.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Thursday:

Lunch
    100g mixed berries (in the oatmeal with Greek yogurt, walnuts, cinnamon, molasses, hemp & flax seeds)

Dinner
    Pea Soup (with garlic bouillon base & nutritional yeast)
    - 160g cooked peas (count as 80)
    - 56g onions
    - 39g frozen corn
    171g broccoli (steamed, with Tamari)
    175g winter squash (with white miso)
    Salad with balsamic vinegar & watermelon seeds
    - 166g romaine lettuce
    - 82g grape tomatoes
    - 82g English cucumber
    - 27g onions
    - 24g orange bell peppers

Total: 1002g = 12.5 servings

If you haven't tried white miso in winter squash, I recommend it: subtle but tasty. My massage therapist, quite the foodie, clued me in. ;)
  • lemurcat12
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Will have to try.

Today:

Breakfast (big smoothie -- I feel kind of embarrassed about all the smoothies, but they are working for me lately)
    187 g strawberries
    48 g avocado
    106 g spaghetti squash
    165 g spinach
    95 g cucumber

Lunch (bowl, also included quinoa)
    110 g carrots
    115 g tomato
    40 g onion
    90 g chickpeas (count 80)
    20 g raisins (forget if these count, something like one serving of dried fruit?)

Dinner (playing around with noodles, this one was cold instead of hot and had the edamame instead of tofu like yesterday, thought of adding a cooked green tomato, but I didn't want more food or need more veg, so hoping it stays good)
    65 g green edamame beans (I think these count normally?)
    164 g butternut squash (pre roasted)
    115 g cucumber
    25 g radish

1335 g = 16+ (but mostly because breakfast was way high today)
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Thursday:

Lunch
    100g mixed berries (in the oatmeal with Greek yogurt, walnuts, cinnamon, molasses, hemp & flax seeds)

Dinner
    Pea Soup (with garlic bouillon base & nutritional yeast)
    - 160g cooked peas (count as 80)
    - 56g onions
    - 39g frozen corn
    171g broccoli (steamed, with Tamari)
    175g winter squash (with white miso)
    Salad with balsamic vinegar & watermelon seeds
    - 166g romaine lettuce
    - 82g grape tomatoes
    - 82g English cucumber
    - 27g onions
    - 24g orange bell peppers

Total: 1002g = 12.5 servings

If you haven't tried white miso in winter squash, I recommend it: subtle but tasty. My massage therapist, quite the foodie, clued me in. ;)

Oops, plus 87g banana (and some taco Doritos ;) ) for a bedtime snack, so more like 13.5 servings.
  • beaglady
    Options
    Thursday

130 g baby carrots
    225 g green beans
    50g(?) spinach and peppers in Lean Cuisine meal
    250g pear
    160g grapefruit
    50g tomato and a smidge of lettuce on a sandwich

865 Total
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Friday. I only ate 2 meals (not official IF, just today's timing).

100g mixed berries in the usual oatmeal concoction

456g frozen rainbow cauliflower (roasted, with grated parmesan)
    Pea soup (with garlic bouillon paste base, cheddar cheese):
    - 104g red-flesh potatoes with skin (I think I can count these?)
    - 26g onions
    - 196g cooked peas, counted as 80g
    167g winter squash (with white miso)

Total: 933g = 11.6 servings

I'm not counting the non-veg ingredients I mention, but am finding others' reports more interesting/inspirational because you say how you eat the veg, so I'm trying to do likewise.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    We are all losing steam again I guess (not enough debate or something). ;-)

I just can't seem to get myself to consistently log, but I do like the idea of sharing how the veg were used (and estimating servings), so will do yesterday:

Oats+cauliflower rice with blackberries and raspberries (also walnuts and soy milk), and brussels on the side. (around 4.5 servings)

Faux lasagna with white beans, garlic, mushrooms, eggplant, spinach, and tomatoes, and the rest of the brussels sprouts (I was using them up). About 6 servings

Cabbage soup with tofu -- bunch of cabbage, mushrooms, tomatoes, kimchi, green peppers, onions, plus rice in the soup. Good but I think I'll add some broccoli and more spice to the leftovers. I'd estimate about 5-5.5 servings.