10 a Day (800g) Veggie&Fruit Challenge Participants Check in!

Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,203 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm the eccentric in this crowd: I eat nearly all my veggies at dinner most days. Still no problem to get 10+ servings pretty often.

For me, a major calorie management strategy was subbing delicious veggies for what I think of as "filler carbs": Rice and other grains, most pasta, bread, etc. I don't have anything against those foods, but I personally don't find them super-appealing taste-wise, nor are they particularly satiating for me. They simply "cost" too many calories for their value to me, as a routine part of daily eating. (I do require my daily oatmeal, though!)

I like cutting up a good-sized plate of assorted raw veg, and starting to graze on those as I cook the rest of dinner, and get quite a few of my dinner veg that way.

Since last report, nothing revolutionary. Berries in the oatmeal every day, as usual.

Saturday was more carb-y than usual, with almost 700 exercise calories (almost 3 hours) in play. Lunch was an individual pizza (spinach, tomato sauce) and a chunk of veggie-heavy savory bread pudding (black beans, onions, sweet potatoes, garlic) I had in the freezer leftover from a potluck.

Dinner was black bean/tomato soup with onions and sweet corn, flavored with nutritional yeast snd cocoa powder. On the side, a whole cucumber, cut-up. I think the whole day comes in around 10 servings, even when counting all the beans as only 80g total.

Sunday lunch had fresh pineapple, a bowl of winter squash from the freezer, and
    one from a batch of veggie-heavy crustless mini quiche/frittata thingies I'd put in the freezer on Friday (had broccoli, onions, mushrooms). I also ate an ounce of crispy broad beans.

Dinner was more black bean/tomato soup, this time with onions and orange bell pepper, flavored with nutritional yeast, cumin and turmeric. On the side, another cucumber and some celery. Total for the day: About 15 servings, again following the rules and undercounting beans.

One background comment on this: When I cook with onions, it's typically half to a whole regular-sized onion per serving. Garlic is often a good bit of fresh elephant garlic. These, for me, are ingredients, not just a tiny slice for flavor.

Monday, I really only ate 2 meals (just random timing).The veggie-intensive one (lunch? dinner?) had a bowl of winter squash with white miso, a handful of raw grape tomatoes, edamame/mung pasta with a spicy chile/peanut/hacho miso/rice vinegar sauce, and green peas. For dessert, frozen cherry/berry mix with yogurt and chocolate PB2. Net result, I came out short, about 6.8 servings. (I didn't count the pasta as veg, BTW, even though the only ingredients are beans.)
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Googling a recipe for black bean tomato soup now.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Googling a recipe for black bean tomato soup now.

Personally, I just mix a bunch of stuff together. Be brave - what's the worst that can happen? ;)
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I guess I'm the eccentric in this crowd: I eat nearly all my veggies at dinner most days. Still no problem to get 10+ servings pretty often.

For me, a major calorie management strategy was subbing delicious veggies for what I think of as "filler carbs": Rice and other grains, most pasta, bread, etc. I don't have anything against those foods, but I personally don't find them super-appealing taste-wise, nor are they particularly satiating for me. They simply "cost" too many calories for their value to me, as a routine part of daily eating. (I do require my daily oatmeal, though!)

I like cutting up a good-sized plate of assorted raw veg, and starting to graze on those as I cook the rest of dinner, and get quite a few of my dinner veg that way.

Since last report, nothing revolutionary. Berries in the oatmeal every day, as usual.

Saturday was more carb-y than usual, with almost 700 exercise calories (almost 3 hours) in play. Lunch was an individual pizza (spinach, tomato sauce) and a chunk of veggie-heavy savory bread pudding (black beans, onions, sweet potatoes, garlic) I had in the freezer leftover from a potluck.

Dinner was black bean/tomato soup with onions and sweet corn, flavored with nutritional yeast snd cocoa powder. On the side, a whole cucumber, cut-up. I think the whole day comes in around 10 servings, even when counting all the beans as only 80g total.

Sunday lunch had fresh pineapple, a bowl of winter squash from the freezer, and
    one from a batch of veggie-heavy crustless mini quiche/frittata thingies I'd put in the freezer on Friday (had broccoli, onions, mushrooms). I also ate an ounce of crispy broad beans.

Dinner was more black bean/tomato soup, this time with onions and orange bell pepper, flavored with nutritional yeast, cumin and turmeric. On the side, another cucumber and some celery. Total for the day: About 15 servings, again following the rules and undercounting beans.

One background comment on this: When I cook with onions, it's typically half to a whole regular-sized onion per serving. Garlic is often a good bit of fresh elephant garlic. These, for me, are ingredients, not just a tiny slice for flavor.

Monday, I really only ate 2 meals (just random timing).The veggie-intensive one (lunch? dinner?) had a bowl of winter squash with white miso, a handful of raw grape tomatoes, edamame/mung pasta with a spicy chile/peanut/hacho miso/rice vinegar sauce, and green peas. For dessert, frozen cherry/berry mix with yogurt and chocolate PB2. Net result, I came out short, about 6.8 servings. (I didn't count the pasta as veg, BTW, even though the only ingredients are beans.)

I starred this thread recently, looking for inspiration and new ideas. This post covered both. Thanks for taking the time to type this out. Going to go back and read more of the thread in the next few days.

• French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I'm a huge fan of getting vegetables at all meals. When I did breakfast omelets that was always an easy way to start the day with vegetables -- usually spinach (sometimes kale or chard) plus at least one other green veg (zucchini, asparagus, and broccoli are all great), and then if on hand mushrooms or onions or tomatoes, depending on mood. Sometimes fruit on the side, although more often some extra protein with cottage cheese or smoked salmon or greek yogurt.

I'm still in this weird smoothie kick currently, not sure why as the weather is freezing, but it's what I crave in the mornings -- today I tried adding some fava beans (pre cooked and cold). Tons of veg in these -- serving of fava, serving of avocado, two servings of greens (kale and spinach), and two servings of berries (strawberries and blueberries). Most important, it's tasty.

Going to have my current favorite (vegetarian, not vegan) salad from a lunch place today for Fat Tuesday, as no animal products after today (until Easter). Also, probably a packzi (a little jelly in it made from fruit, but I won't count it!). ;-)

You're going full on medieval rules this year, huh? Did you do that last year too?

I had a huge stack of blueberry pancakes last night (although I was disappointed to make it less than halfway through, LOL), and am cutting out added sugar* with modest exceptions on feast days/Sundays. And also increasing my fruit/veg again.

*Except the chocolate-dipped madeleines I had this morning because I forgot to eat them yesterday...not the most auspicious start to Lent!

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of getting vegetables at all meals. When I did breakfast omelets that was always an easy way to start the day with vegetables -- usually spinach (sometimes kale or chard) plus at least one other green veg (zucchini, asparagus, and broccoli are all great), and then if on hand mushrooms or onions or tomatoes, depending on mood. Sometimes fruit on the side, although more often some extra protein with cottage cheese or smoked salmon or greek yogurt.

I'm still in this weird smoothie kick currently, not sure why as the weather is freezing, but it's what I crave in the mornings -- today I tried adding some fava beans (pre cooked and cold). Tons of veg in these -- serving of fava, serving of avocado, two servings of greens (kale and spinach), and two servings of berries (strawberries and blueberries). Most important, it's tasty.

Going to have my current favorite (vegetarian, not vegan) salad from a lunch place today for Fat Tuesday, as no animal products after today (until Easter). Also, probably a packzi (a little jelly in it made from fruit, but I won't count it!). ;-)

You're going full on medieval rules this year, huh? Did you do that last year too?

No, I thought about it, but just vegetarian last year (which is my norm, the only time I haven't in years was when I was actively losing weight and didn't want to do anything food-related). Got out my Vegan Soul Kitchen book to start inspiring new ideas, and my 660 Curries.

In other news, I've been looking at some houses, and drooling over gardens -- the rooftop gardening thing is okay, but it would be so great to be a real in-the-ground gardener. Might bug you with questions if I do that!
    Except the chocolate-dipped madeleines I had this morning because I forgot to eat them yesterday...not the most auspicious start to Lent!

Heh, I've done stuff like that before, oops!
  • French_Peasant
    Options

No, I thought about it, but just vegetarian last year (which is my norm, the only time I haven't in years was when I was actively losing weight and didn't want to do anything food-related). Got out my Vegan Soul Kitchen book to start inspiring new ideas, and my 660 Curries.

In other news, I've been looking at some houses, and drooling over gardens -- the rooftop gardening thing is okay, but it would be so great to be a real in-the-ground gardener. Might bug you with questions if I do that!
    Except the chocolate-dipped madeleines I had this morning because I forgot to eat them yesterday...not the most auspicious start to Lent!

AWESOME!!! What neighborhood are you looking in, or are you considering the suburbs? Feel free to bug away with any garden questions--we can either PM or open a thread on it, as I think there would be a lot of people who could benefit from the discussion (or weigh in with their own knowledge and experience).

The biggest garden I was involved with (4250 square feet) is on land that has been sold for a parking lot, so I will have a lot more time on my hands this growing season. :/
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Tuesday, I ate a large number of vegetablelarally unhelpful foods, like a handmade raspberry custard paczki (genuine Hamtramck issue) and craft beer. (Yes, I made up a word in there - not "paczki" ;) ). Dinner was a salad and vegetable soup at Panera (sigh - had to sneak in my own broiled tofu and nootch to put in the soup, in order to hit my protein goal - sigh.)

I had the usual berries in oatmeal Tu/We both.

So, Tuesday was probably only in the 5-6 serving range, all told.

Wednesday lunch was cooked green split peas from the freezer with onion and nootch, plus some crispy broad beans. Dinner, one if my mini eggy veggie things from the freezer, a raw cucumber cut up, a bowl of freezer winter squash with cheese in it, and some grape tomatoes. Snack after evening weight training, fresh pineapple with cottage cheese. Even undercounting legumes, that's about 13 servings

You can tell from my constant grousing that I don't like the legume rule, can't you? ;) It makes no sense to me that I can count 274g of squash and 196g of cucumber, but only 80 of peas. Why???? (Rhetorical question.)

Happy vegetablization, and Valentine's Day!
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Two slices of veggie pizza, salad bar and steamed vegetables for lunch. Covered, I think.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I don't like the legume rule either.
  • ehseeker
    ehseeker Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    What is the legume rule?
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    ehseeker wrote: »
    What is the legume rule?

No matter how much you eat, you're only supposed to count 80g. I think it's a UK thing. When I looked it up some time back, the US rules (taken in total) were even goofier.

From memory, so maybe wrong, I think the US legume part of the rules was that they count as protein unless/until your protein goal was met, then the excess counted as veg . . . or something.

You can tell these rules were designed by committees . . . and you can tell why nearly no one follows them religiously. Yeesh.

Bodies don't count that way! ;)
  • lemurcat12
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I actually think counting servings is inherently kind of silly and problematic unless you are just starting out so your eyeballing or understanding of what eating lots of vegetables is can't be relied on.

But I think this thread is fun and encouraging and the challenge serves as a good thing to form it around, so!

The MyPlate recommendations are to eat 1.5-2 cups of fruit (with a "cup" being a banana, small apple, half a large apple, or an actual cup -- so it's complicated, and I don't think in cups anyway).

For veg, MyPlate recommends 2.5-3 cups (for greens a cup is a cooked cup or 2 cups raw).

MyPlate counts beans and peas as either protein or veg, depending on how you want to use them. Potatoes also count for MyPlate.

This challenge obviously is to eat a lot more, because of the UK study that suggests that going well above the minimum recommended is beneficial.

On the whole I'd say use judgment and if a significant part of your veg is potatoes (or even beans), eat more non starchy vegetables, but I wouldn't not count them, and especially beans and peas I think are very nutritious on par with other veg and that what's important is variety.

For my own way of eating I think starches (including potatoes, beans, peas, corn, oats, so on) are one component of a meal (that I think of as a valuable component) and non starchy veg are a separate component, so I tend to understand why guidelines limit how much starchy veg can count or don't count them (as the Harvard Healthy Eating Plate and this challenge won't count potatoes (and sweet potatoes, I guess)), in that in the US and likely also the UK there is certainly a problem with people not eating adequate veg and the veg that people who don't eat veg probably do eat are things like potatoes and baked beans and maybe occasional other beans and peas, so the idea is to encourage eating one's greens (and other non starchy veg).
  • lemurcat12
    Options

AWESOME!!! What neighborhood are you looking in, or are you considering the suburbs?

A few different ones on the North side, mostly, although I am checking out Evanston and Oak Park just to be complete.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options

For my own way of eating I think starches (including potatoes, beans, peas, corn, oats, so on) are one component of a meal (that I think of as a valuable component) and non starchy veg are a separate component, so I tend to understand why guidelines limit how much starchy veg can count or don't count them (as the Harvard Healthy Eating Plate and this challenge won't count potatoes (and sweet potatoes, I guess)), in that in the US and likely also the UK there is certainly a problem with people not eating adequate veg and the veg that people who don't eat veg probably do eat are things like potatoes and baked beans and maybe occasional other beans and peas, so the idea is to encourage eating one's greens (and other non starchy veg).

I read somewhere, can't remember where, that sweet potatoes count, but white potatoes don't. Couldn't figure out why. According to your reasoning, it's clear. Sweet potatoes have color, and they're always telling us "eat the rainbow" and people who don't eat veggies probably
    Eat a lot of white potatoes, not much sweet potatoes. So just trying any way to open our eyes and minds to veggies.
  • French_Peasant
    Options

I read somewhere, can't remember where, that sweet potatoes count, but white potatoes don't. Couldn't figure out why. According to your reasoning, it's clear. Sweet potatoes have color, and they're always telling us "eat the rainbow" and people who don't eat veggies probably
    Eat a lot of white potatoes, not much sweet potatoes. So just trying any way to open our eyes and minds to veggies.

It was probably the UK rules posted at the very beginning of this thread. You're right about the people who don't eat a lot of veg: they don't want people thinking chips or crisps or mash are appropriate. I personally count jacket-on potatoes but not jacket-off potatoes, because they are stripped of much or their nutrients and fiber.

I also agree that the bean rule is pretty idiotic as well. I don't eat a terrible lot of beans, but if I have a large serving of black bean soup, it would be nice to have it count, LOL.
  • French_Peasant
    Options
    Back in the saddle again, with 12 servings to kick off Lent, woohoo! Although I was tested sorely yesterday: I picked up fancy chocolates for my kids and could not indulge in my absolute favorite candy, strawberry-rhubarb chocolates, AND when we went out for dinner last night, there was a large offering of free Valentine's York peppermint patties at the hostess stand.

At least it wasn't as bad as my kids not getting to have Valentine's Day parties--they got to get ashes on their foreheads instead, LOL.
  • AnnPT77
    Options

I think there was also something mentioned - can't recall the source - that white potatoes could be counted (in some scheme) if one ate them with the skin, but not if eaten without. Yeah, more nutrients with skin, but still . . . <eye roll>.

The few times a year I eat a baked potato (with skin) or put one in soup at home, I'm counting them. My overall diet is very low in potato nutrients - I'm probably fully deficient. ;) I probably wouldn't count french fries: Delicious in proper forms, but I think of them more as a treat (like the paczki ;) ), not a real nutrition source. Yeah, that's weird, but it gets weirder than that here in my head sometimes. ;)
  • lemurcat12
    edited February 2018
    Options

Not for this challenge.

Actually, I think potatoes and sweet potatoes are pretty similar nutritionally (and would consider both a starch course, and have vegetables in addition). I think both ARE nutrient dense foods, however, and since they have different nutrients I think having both (not necessarily at the same time!) is great. I don't like that so many people are all anti potatoes. But I also would not think that either potatoes or sweet potatoes sub for non starchy veg (in my mind they sub for grains).
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Ratatouille is on the menu for tonight's dinner with some Mahi Mahi. We also scored some backyard oranges and will be eating those for dessert.

ETA. We've had a really weird winter so far and still have tomatoes in our backyard, so I am using those tonight too.