10 a Day (800g) Veggie&Fruit Challenge Participants Check in!

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I am sitting here laughing at myself because I thought maybe I had 5 or 6 servings of veg yesterday, but turns out I had substantially more. Just a good example of how much our minds can trick us! It was just one of those days where I couldn't even make a trip to the bathroom, had to grab a stuffed pretzel for breakfast, and had to throw away much of my lunch because I just didn't have time to eat the whole thing.

So here is the tally:

1 T tomato paste (at least, stuffed in pretzel)
    2 1 C snowpeas
    1.25 100 g romaine
    2 2 cups potato leek soup (just counting the leek half because no peels, LOL)
    2 1 c applesauce
    1 .5 c chopped tomatoes and cukes on salad
    .5 50 ish grams avocado
    2 150 g banana
    1.5 120 g raspberries
    1 left over Cub Scout juice box that I drank just before bed to try to get another serving in :D
    _____

The potato-leek soup was at a restaurant, but now I am wondering if there are any acceptable peels-on recipes. I make Julia Child's recipe, and it seems a shame to mess with perfection.

I've been thinking about just trying making it peels on and seeing how it goes. I've done Julia's, but usually play around with it -- she had an option to add watercress, and I really like it with watercress added so was thinking of trying it with another green.
  • lemurcat12
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Yesterday was pretty lame -- had lots at breakfast (smoothie with half an avocado (apparently a big half, 90 g), about 110 g of spinach, 160 g of blueberries, 70 g of cauliflower, 40 g of bean sprouts -- so almost 6 servings). I prefer roasted squash in my smoothies as my second veg in addition to the greens, but weirdly I've found that the cauliflower and sprouts work well, and I had them on hand, so.

Lunch was sandwiches from a local place, but not even salad or fruit (which is unusual), so I had a turkey sandwich with a little lettuce and tomato, some giardiniera, eh, not even really a full serving.

Got stuck at work late, so had the same thing (leftovers) for dinner, and realized there were apples in the office so had one (around 160-170 g).

So total 8.
  • sportychic87
    sportychic87 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Game on. I’m having a 2 egg omelet with 1/2 cup tomatoes and 1 cup zucchini right now
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    9 to 10 servings today. This has really opened my eyes. I love veggies, salads, but this is my normal. Just didn't realize I have days with 0 veggies, as well as days with 10. How could I not know when I am logging?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,201 Member
    Options
    Friday: Complete washout - maybe 4-5 servings?

Saturday:

56g crispy broad beans (count as 40 to omit the crispy)
    Wendy's side salad - 1 serving?
    Wendy's baked potato (with skin ;) ) - 1 serving
    Subway chopped salad - 3-4 servings?
    60g tomatoes
    100g sauerkraut
    201g split peas (count as 80g)
    68g pineapple
    121g cherry berry mixed fruit

Total: Over 10 servings, I think.

Sunday:

100g mixed berries in oatmeal
    209g cantaloupe
    28g crispy broad beans (count as 20 to omit the crispy)
    171g winter squash
    68g celery
    93g tomatoes
    93g cucumber
    44g orange bell pepper
    51g onions
    62g salsa

Total: 11 servings
  • corinasue1143
    edited January 2018
    Options
    About 9 servings today.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I got 9.5 servings yesterday (including a mimosa :# HEY IT COUNTS!), and 11.25 servings on Saturday with my only "cheat" being a v-8, which doesn't seem much like cheating to me, being much more virtuous than champagne and orange juice!
  • corinasue1143
    Options
    Maybe 1 serving all day.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Pretty lame day, as expected, but right now there's some sort of wild party at my hotel that is apparently connected to the Winter Commodity Conference of the Mississippi Farm Bureau, so that's maybe something? Or not, but it's funny.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    OK, now I'm feeling a little less deficient about last Friday. ;)

Monday:

100g mixed berries
    70g onions
    176g diced tomatoes (jar)
    185g winter squash
    64g cherry tomatoes
    150g black beans (counted as 80g)
    112g carrots
    108g asparagus
    28g crispy broad beans (can't count - excess legumes)

Total: 895g = 11+ servings

Oatmeal with berries (and more) at breakfast; black bean/pasta/tomato spicy soup, winter squash with miso, raw veggie plate, cold roasted asparagus for dinner, chocolate candy for lunch ;).
  • French_Peasant
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    OK, now I'm feeling a little less deficient about last Friday. ;)

Monday:

100g mixed berries
    70g onions
    176g diced tomatoes (jar)
    185g winter squash
    64g cherry tomatoes
    150g black beans (counted as 80g)
    112g carrots
    108g asparagus
    28g crispy broad beans (can't count - excess legumes)

Total: 895g = 11+ servings

Oatmeal with berries (and more) at breakfast; black bean/pasta/tomato spicy soup, winter squash with miso, raw veggie plate, cold roasted asparagus for dinner, chocolate candy for lunch ;).

This sounds absolutely fantastic!!
  • French_Peasant
    Options
    Well, yesterday was a big fat fail for me, because I siad screw it, I'm having grilled cheese and beef stew for dinner (and chocolates for dessert!)

1 serving salsa
    2 servings mixed veg
    1.5 serving romaine (that I ate without dressing, possibly leading toward my not so great dinner choices)
    1 serving (or thereabouts) avocado from the sandwich and veg from the stew
    1.25 serving banana
    _____
    6.75 servings

I think I will be getting in a lot more today, as I ate lunch with my son, and got the cooked veg he was going to throw away, plus a couple bags of celery that he had heading to the trash as well, and red pepper hummus dip, and my husband gave me a banana (an actual banana :# ). Oh my goodness--the amount of beautiful produce being wasted. :( It is crazy. The schools HAVE to serve it, so the kids take it, then straight into the trash. I don't think it's legal for me to even have taken what my son was throwing away. So wasteful, and probably extremely expensive.
  • French_Peasant
    Options
    Okay, so I might have gone over my goal by 700 or so calories, but I got in a LOT of veg, and didn't have anything on my "naughty" snacks list. (I don't actually regard chocolates and cookies as naughty, I just try to keep that list as short as possible).

One annoying thing that I did was decide that I needed to use up a bunch of blueberries, and that the only way to use them up was to have them in oatmeal, which of course also necessitates cream and a little sugar. I wasn't even hungry, but ate every last blueberry and scrap of oatmeal, just shoving it in. Why did I do that? I don't know. But now I don't have to worry about the blueberries spoiling. :/

Here was my day, including my school lunch snacks:

1--salsa
    3--canned drained pears
    2--greenbeans
    2.5--school bananas
    1--culver's side salad (offset by a burger and half a kid's burger, LOL. Hell no am I letting that half go to waste!)
    1--culver's burger fixings and extra dish of pickles
    1--red pepper hummus dip
    1.5--school celery and carrots
    .5--guacamole
    1--Terra Sweets n' Beets
    2--blueberries
    _____
    16.5 servings
  • corinasue1143
    Options
    About 10 servings today
  • French_Peasant
    Options
    About 10 servings today

Woo hoo!
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Sigh. It's my Tuesday/Wednesday restaurant doldrums again. Tuesday dinner with the mixed-media arts'n'crafters, Wednesday post-practice dinner with the rowing team. Fun, but cramps my usual dinner veggie-wallowing style!

Tuesday:
    100g berries
    Panera small salad - maybe 1-1.5 servings?
    Panera small garden veggie soup - 1.5 servings?
    Apple
    45g dry-roasted soybeans

Total: 5 servings?

Wednesday:
    100g berries
    227g cantaloupe
    Restaurant salad plus spinach/tomato/guac on veggie burger (not counting the burger) - maybe 3 servings?
    103g pineapple

Total: Around 8 servings?
  • corinasue1143
    edited January 2018
    Options
    1 grapefruit
    .5 pear

2.5 salad
    .5 Pear
    1.5 mixed veg, mostly green beans

2.5. Salad

2 broccoli, red peppers, mushrooms

10.5 total
    Doing better. This is really helping me.
  • AnnPT77
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Nice work, @corinasue1143! When you say it's helping you, do you mean nutritionally, or with satiation, or. . . ? (None of my business, really - but just curious. :) ).
  • corinasue1143
    edited January 2018
    Options
    It's opening my eyes. I've never really cared about nutrition. I've counted calories and macros, but never paid any attention to vitamins, etc.
    Like when I went to weight watchers and they said fruit or a candy bar--it's all carbohydrates. In my old age--I am 68 and have Fibro, cfs, arthritis, etc. I'm trying to pay more attention to healthy food. I'm just learning to balance things better.
    I love vegetables, summer fruits, but just have to learn to incorporate them more regularly, not so sporadic.
    Satiation, no, it doesn't really help.
  • French_Peasant
    Options
    @corinasue1143 I am inordinately excited for you! That is how it was for me--struggling at first, and then the lightbulb goes on and you just start clicking along.

For satiation, have you tried anything like guacamole or hummus? You can get both in little 100-calorie cups, eat them with other veg, and thereby sneak in yet another serving of veg, although of course the calorie count is higher...but it sure makes celery go down easier, ha ha.