10 a Day (800g) Veggie&Fruit Challenge Participants Check in!

Options

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Do you often find yourself going over recommended vitamin A? Do you worry about it?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,198 Member
    Options
    Do you often find yourself going over recommended vitamin A? Do you worry about it?

I often go over the MFP goal (RDA) - often somewhere in the 200% to 600% range, and I assume that could be understated because product labels and database entries are inconsistent.

No, I don't worry about it. I'm no nutrition expert, but my amateur understanding is that research shows some reason for concern about high levels of vitamin A in the form that's common in supplements, but little evidence that the form common in whole plant foods is a concern even at quite high levels. I get a tiny amount from enriched foods, some from dairy, lots from whole plant sources. (I don't eat meat, so none from that.)

Somewhat technical, but this has details from a mainstream source:

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminA-HealthProfessional/

• corinasue1143
    Options
    Thanks @AnnPT77, very informative. Looks like eat all the veg you want, just be careful of that bear liver. Don't think that will be a
    Problem for me. Just need to be careful of calves' liver. That looks like my only possible problem. (That's what I thought, but wasn't
    Sure).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

Yeah, all the time.

Like Ann said, not an issue if it's from veg, since the A from veg is really carotenoids from which your body makes A, and it won't make A you don't need. Just don't OD on supplements or eat polar bear liver!

(I think chicken or calves liver is really healthy and probably few people eat enough to worry about.)
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    BTW: I'm still eating beaucoup veggies/fruits (with the possible exception of a couple of days a week with restaurant dinners that have too many cals and too few veg & leave me at 7-ish servings total), and I'm logging in my diary, but getting lazy about reporting here.

Partly, this is because my patterns are boring: Many of the veg are at dinner. Dinners are often an omelet or legume soup or chickpea pasta or pseudo-Asian pasta or stir-fry; or pseudo-Mexican soft tacos or tostados or something; all with varied veggie add-ons and sides.

Sides are often winter squash, that often with white miso (still have probably 20 2-cup bowls of yummy farmers market heritage squash in the freezer ;) ); big salad (usually romaine base because it keeps so well); roasted veg (root veggies, asparagus, cauliflower, cabbage, etc); or a plate of cut-up raw veg.

So, boring for y'all to read over time, I think.

Today, I had the usual 100g berries in my essential daily oatmeal; a graze-y lunch of hard-boiled eggs, goat cheese, crackers, and a banana (61g); and dinner was winter squash (188g) with miso, fresh pineapple (120g), and as sort of broiled-tofu stir-fry with onion (57g), elephant garlic (12g), broccoli (221g), black beans (85g) seasoned with brown rice vinegar, tamari, and gochujang chile paste. Snack was 28g crispy broad beans.

So, total is between 10 & 11 servings.

Happy Friday!

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Hey y'all!

Getting back into eating more vegetables. cwolfman13 posted a curry dish and it is almost done cooking.
  • corinasue1143
    Options
    No, actually not boring for me. As I have said, I didn't learn to eat veggies when I was so young, so I'm having to teach myself now when I'm
    Way too old to learn easily. Lol. So seeing how other people get veggies every day, in other ways besides salads, is very helpful to me.
    I'm doing better about having veggies every day, not just some days, but I have to think about it. It's not just natural yet.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Hey y'all!

Getting back into eating more vegetables. cwolfman13 posted a curry dish and it is almost done cooking.

That sounded yummy! Give us an independent review, K?

For those not otherwise clued in, I believe she's talking about this:

http://wholeheartedlylaura.com/2015/10/tasty-potatoes-potato-and-lentil-curry-recipe.html
  • L1zardQueen
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Hey y'all!

http://wholeheartedlylaura.com/2015/10/tasty-potatoes-potato-and-lentil-curry-recipe.html

Yep, you're good!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Hey y'all!

I hope you like it as much as I do...i do adjust the curry from time to time... and sometimes I like the stew thinner or thicker so more or less liquid.

Hope it was tasty...
  • L1zardQueen
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Hey y'all!

I hope you like it as much as I do...i do adjust the curry from time to time... and sometimes I like the stew thinner or thicker so more or less liquid.

Hope it was tasty...

It was delicious, thank you sharing!
  • L1zardQueen
    Options
    Veggie scramble for brekkie and pizza topped with salad greens and whatnot for dinner.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Partly, this is because my patterns are boring: Many of the veg are at dinner. Dinners are often an omelet or legume soup or chickpea pasta or pseudo-Asian pasta or stir-fry; or pseudo-Mexican soft tacos or tostados or something; all with varied veggie add-ons and sides.

I was feeling like my patterns were boring or repetitive too. I tend to do smoothie or oats with some kind of fruit and veg at breakfast, very often a huge salad at lunch (sometimes a chili or bowl or something involving soup), and then some kind of pasta or stir fry at dinner, although this is where I tend to experiment (and I sometimes bring leftovers for lunch too).

I am actually going to be beginning an effort to go through and get ideas from a bunch of cookbooks I have to change it up some, so it might be inspiring to post here to report on how it goes. I can't follow recipes (I just hate cooking that way), but I get ideas from them that I try out.

I do like hearing about what others have been eating, although no need to report every day, of course, and I feel silly/boring doing so as well.
  • ehseeker
    ehseeker Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Definitely not getting enough so I'm joining in to make myself more conscious of veggies - which I love. It's just cooking for 2 grown men - my sons - and a 3 year old I tend to focus more on the starch and protein with some veggies added. We get plenty of fruit as that's a grab as you will type of food. So adding more veggies. Great thread.
  • ehseeker
    Options
    Hey y'all!

Hope it was tasty...

Looked back several pages and can't find. Can you tell me which page it's on? TIA.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    ehseeker wrote: »
    Hey y'all!

Hope it was tasty...

Looked back several pages and can't find. Can you tell me which page it's on? TIA.

It was just a few posts up on this page:

***snip***

• French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Definitely not getting enough so I'm joining in to make myself more conscious of veggies - which I love. It's just cooking for 2 grown men - my sons - and a 3 year old I tend to focus more on the starch and protein with some veggies added. We get plenty of fruit as that's a grab as you will type of food. So adding more veggies. Great thread.

Welcome to the challenge! It is definitely a worthwhile endeavor.
  • ehseeker
    Options
    Hey y'all!

Hope it was tasty...

It was just a few posts up on this page:

***snip***

Thank you. Found it.
  • ehseeker
    Options
    Wilted spinach in skillet and added to my scrambled egg white & egg yesterday morning and topped with salsa. This thread had me more aware of incorporating veggies and fruit into each meal instead of waiting until evening for the veggies. Had a great salad yesterday topped with feta for protein, fruit for snacks, etc. Felt satisfied and good all day.
    Thank you for this thread.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of getting vegetables at all meals. When I did breakfast omelets that was always an easy way to start the day with vegetables -- usually spinach (sometimes kale or chard) plus at least one other green veg (zucchini, asparagus, and broccoli are all great), and then if on hand mushrooms or onions or tomatoes, depending on mood. Sometimes fruit on the side, although more often some extra protein with cottage cheese or smoked salmon or greek yogurt.

I'm still in this weird smoothie kick currently, not sure why as the weather is freezing, but it's what I crave in the mornings -- today I tried adding some fava beans (pre cooked and cold). Tons of veg in these -- serving of fava, serving of avocado, two servings of greens (kale and spinach), and two servings of berries (strawberries and blueberries). Most important, it's tasty.

Going to have my current favorite (vegetarian, not vegan) salad from a lunch place today for Fat Tuesday, as no animal products after today (until Easter). Also, probably a packzi (a little jelly in it made from fruit, but I won't count it!). ;-)