Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Should your S.O./Spouse have a say so if they feel you are too thin or too large?

Options

Replies

• MsMaeFlowers
    MsMaeFlowers Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »
    I had to tell my husband a while back that I love him no matter what, but that if he gained any more weight, certain positions would become impossible for me. I was nice about it, didn't tell him he had to lose weight or anything like that. He has since joined the gym and started losing some weight. He wasn't willing to give up what he likes to do, and he decided that was enough motivation.

I love the way you put this..... LMAO that he joined a gym. I love it!!!

Basically I just told him what would happen (or not happen) if he continued going the way he was going, and it was up to him whether or not he wanted to make a change. I'm happy he made the change ;) but I would never have tried to force it on him.
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »
    I had to tell my husband a while back that I love him no matter what, but that if he gained any more weight, certain positions would become impossible for me. I was nice about it, didn't tell him he had to lose weight or anything like that. He has since joined the gym and started losing some weight. He wasn't willing to give up what he likes to do, and he decided that was enough motivation.

I love the way you put this..... LMAO that he joined a gym. I love it!!!

Basically I just told him what would happen (or not happen) if he continued going the way he was going, and it was up to him whether or not he wanted to make a change. I'm happy he made the change ;) but I would never have tried to force it on him.

That may include "this relationship will not continue" for some of us. If someone chooses being fat (I have never been in a relationship with someone who even got close to being unattractive by losing weight) over us having a healthy sex life, then the relationship is going to end.
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    Physical attraction and a healthy sex life is important, I agree, but this goes back to something I said earlier about reasonable expectations. Because we WILL change as we get older. So if you're the sort of person who would be completely turned off when your partner gains 20 pounds, are you ALSO the sort of person who will be completely turned off when he/she goes gray? Bald? Wrinkly?

This is maybe a silly and personal thing for ME, but I worry, a lot, that my husband was TOO into my looks when we met and fell in love. It set the expectations too high. I was at my absolute best, then, and I think I'm at my best again, now, but I can't maintain that level of attractiveness forever. Is he going to sit me down at some point and say, "honey, I love you no matter what and all, but our sex life is suffering because you're not that attractive to me anymore, and maybe, for the sake of our marriage, we would be a happier couple if you got regular botox injections and dyed your hair." And would it be acceptable for him to do that? Can I sit him down in a few years and ask him to get hair plugs if he starts to bald?

This is where I'm having a disconnect. There seems to be an attitude in this thread that if your partner fails to maintain an appropriate level of attractiveness, well, that's probably the end of your relationship, and I can't quite get around that, all by itself. I think sexual attraction is important, but in a loving relationship, that attraction goes further than what you see in the mirror. Doesn't it? Shouldn't it?

I understand what you are saying -but attraction means a lot to me as well. We can agree that attraction is a big realm of things. For instance, I have dated this guy that was so HOTTTTT. Geez he was hot, but he had a piss poor personality and attitude, which made him very unattractive to me even though he looked HOT! It is a matter of perspective IMO. For instance I'm not ready to date a 70 year old right now, because the saggy balls and 100% white pubes I'm not ready for.....but I can deal with someone around my age and we are progressing through them things together. I know with age comes potential weight gain, but my expectation is for you to remain active, be conscious about it because I want to be attracted to you, have fun and have you around for a long time.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I think everybody has a responsibility to not "let themselves go". You should try to maintain something close to the condition you were in at the start of a relationship. Obviously, people gain weight while pregnant, and it is natural to gain a FEW pounds (not 75) with advancing age. But attraction is a big part of what initially draws people together, and most people (not all) do have types that they are and aren't attracted to and weight plays a big role in that for many people. Plus, I think attraction is a "glue" that helps couples weather other stresses on the relationship and survive tough times.

A spouse can still love you but lose attraction...and that is not their fault, but it will weaken the relationship.

So I say, yes, they do have a right to voice their opinion, but only if there has been a material change. If you gain 5 or 10 pounds, they need to just accept it. But if you gain enough that it significantly impacts appearance or activities you are able to do with them, they should speak up IN A RESPECTFUL MANNER.

Sure, it is easy to say "if they really love me, they will love me at any weight." But try turning that around and saying "If I really love them, I will care enough for them and myself and our relationship to stay at a healthy weight."

BTW, this also works the other way. If you lose so much that it dramatically changes appearance, that can also negatively impact attraction if it goes too far, and they have a right to speak up then as well. And this holds for both men and women.

• itsallgood803
    itsallgood803 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I think if it's coming from a place of love from the other person, than it should be ok. It's just a sensitive subject for most people, especially for those of us who have struggled for a long time with their weight. Personally my weight bothers me more than anyone else around me, and I'm the one constantly complaining about it. So I believe that if someone happy with who they are, they don't need to change. My husband has been trying to help keep me motivated because I'm the one that wants to change. He met me when I was 70lbs lighter and has always told me I'm beautiful and he doesn't care what my weight is.
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    Physical attraction and a healthy sex life is important, I agree, but this goes back to something I said earlier about reasonable expectations. Because we WILL change as we get older. So if you're the sort of person who would be completely turned off when your partner gains 20 pounds, are you ALSO the sort of person who will be completely turned off when he/she goes gray? Bald? Wrinkly?

This is maybe a silly and personal thing for ME, but I worry, a lot, that my husband was TOO into my looks when we met and fell in love. It set the expectations too high. I was at my absolute best, then, and I think I'm at my best again, now, but I can't maintain that level of attractiveness forever. Is he going to sit me down at some point and say, "honey, I love you no matter what and all, but our sex life is suffering because you're not that attractive to me anymore, and maybe, for the sake of our marriage, we would be a happier couple if you got regular botox injections and dyed your hair." And would it be acceptable for him to do that? Can I sit him down in a few years and ask him to get hair plugs if he starts to bald?

This is where I'm having a disconnect. There seems to be an attitude in this thread that if your partner fails to maintain an appropriate level of attractiveness, well, that's probably the end of your relationship, and I can't quite get around that, all by itself. I think sexual attraction is important, but in a loving relationship, that attraction goes further than what you see in the mirror. Doesn't it? Shouldn't it?

What I see always matters, and weight and physical fitness matter a lot. An unfit, overweight partner isn't just living with the natural progression of age. It's an unnecessary change, and one that I'm not going to lie and say that such a change would be something I could overlook and still find that person attractive. I'm not going to fake it and be miserable. And I sure wouldn't ask that of someone else, either.
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    I think everybody has a responsibility to not "let themselves go". You should try to maintain something close to the condition you were in at the start of a relationship. Obviously, people gain weight while pregnant, and it is natural to gain a FEW pounds (not 75) with advancing age. But attraction is a big part of what initially draws people together, and most people (not all) do have types that they are and aren't attracted to and weight plays a big role in that for many people. Plus, I think attraction is a "glue" that helps couples weather other stresses on the relationship and survive tough times.

A spouse can still love you but lose attraction...and that is not their fault, but it will weaken the relationship.

So I say, yes, they do have a right to voice their opinion, but only if there has been a material change. If you gain 5 or 10 pounds, they need to just accept it. But if you gain enough that it significantly impacts appearance or activities you are able to do with them, they should speak up IN A RESPECTFUL MANNER.

Sure, it is easy to say "if they really love me, they will love me at any weight." But try turning that around and saying "If I really love them, I will care enough for them and myself and our relationship to stay at a healthy weight."

BTW, this also works the other way. If you lose so much that it dramatically changes appearance, that can also negatively impact attraction if it goes too far, and they have a right to speak up then as well. And this holds for both men and women.

So then what number of pounds do you draw the line at? Because I'm going to say something well before the BMI hits 25, and to me reaching into the overweight range is going to be kill my attraction. It would take a rare case of swole with low body fat percentage to change that.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    @heiliskrimsli A lot has been mentioned about SO being overweight/obese and I'm wondering if you (and others who feel the same) would be leaving your SO if they became underweight?
  • gingerdoesfitness
    gingerdoesfitness Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I will never again change my appearance to please someone my soon to be ex has always liked bigger girls. I was 189 when I got pregnant with my youngest. After she was born I lost down to 125 I was really proud of myself and looked much better over time my stbx started making comments and convincing me to gain weight when he left in Jan I was my heaviest weight ever @ 244 pounds.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Sure if he/she does not mind a punch in the mouth. LOL