Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Should your S.O./Spouse have a say so if they feel you are too thin or too large?

Options

Replies

• heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    @heiliskrimsli A lot has been mentioned about SO being overweight/obese and I'm wondering if you (and others who feel the same) would be leaving your SO if they became underweight?

If they were so underweight that it became unattractive and killed the sex life and the relationship, sure.

I've just never actually been in the situation where weight loss was the problem. Previous experience has been with people who gained weight.

What you're essentially asking is if I'd be in a relationship with someone I did not find attractive and the answer to that is unequivocally "No."

There are people who I have in my life, who I care about, who are not related to me and who I'm not sexually attracted to or having sex with. Those people are called friends. They are not candidates for a romantic relationship.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    @heiliskrimsli A lot has been mentioned about SO being overweight/obese and I'm wondering if you (and others who feel the same) would be leaving your SO if they became underweight?

If they were so underweight that it became unattractive and killed the sex life and the relationship, sure.

I've just never actually been in the situation where weight loss was the problem. Previous experience has been with people who gained weight.

What you're essentially asking is if I'd be in a relationship with someone I did not find attractive and the answer to that is unequivocally "No."

There are people who I have in my life, who I care about, who are not related to me and who I'm not sexually attracted to or having sex with. Those people are called friends. They are not candidates for a romantic relationship.

I've read what you wrote and the focus was on an SO who gained weight, not lost, so I wanted to find out if your unattraction would go that way as well. Some people only care about a partner getting fat, not getting too thin. Thanks.
  • heiliskrimsli
    Options
    Aging is something that unless you die young is unavoidable and will happen to us all. It's also natural to be attracted to people who are around the same age that we are, although there are outliers.

When it comes to an adult with normal mental faculties, being overweight or underweight is a choice, not an inevitable part of life that we all go through. It may seem wrong to some that I have a different view of aging than I do of gaining or losing significant amounts of weight, but it's a fact. While the ages of people I'm attracted to has changed as I've gotten older, I've never been attracted to overweight or significantly underweight people.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    Physical attraction and a healthy sex life is important, I agree, but this goes back to something I said earlier about reasonable expectations. Because we WILL change as we get older. So if you're the sort of person who would be completely turned off when your partner gains 20 pounds, are you ALSO the sort of person who will be completely turned off when he/she goes gray? Bald? Wrinkly?

This is maybe a silly and personal thing for ME, but I worry, a lot, that my husband was TOO into my looks when we met and fell in love. It set the expectations too high. I was at my absolute best, then, and I think I'm at my best again, now, but I can't maintain that level of attractiveness forever. Is he going to sit me down at some point and say, "honey, I love you no matter what and all, but our sex life is suffering because you're not that attractive to me anymore, and maybe, for the sake of our marriage, we would be a happier couple if you got regular botox injections and dyed your hair." And would it be acceptable for him to do that? Can I sit him down in a few years and ask him to get hair plugs if he starts to bald?

This is where I'm having a disconnect. There seems to be an attitude in this thread that if your partner fails to maintain an appropriate level of attractiveness, well, that's probably the end of your relationship, and I can't quite get around that, all by itself. I think sexual attraction is important, but in a loving relationship, that attraction goes further than what you see in the mirror. Doesn't it? Shouldn't it?

I understand what you are saying -but attraction means a lot to me as well. We can agree that attraction is a big realm of things. For instance, I have dated this guy that was so HOTTTTT. Geez he was hot, but he had a piss poor personality and attitude, which made him very unattractive to me even though he looked HOT! It is a matter of perspective IMO. For instance I'm not ready to date a 70 year old right now, because the saggy balls and 100% white pubes I'm not ready for.....but I can deal with someone around my age and we are progressing through them things together. I know with age comes potential weight gain, but my expectation is for you to remain active, be conscious about it because I want to be attracted to you, have fun and have you around for a long time.

I think your expectations are right on target. I'm old fashioned about this, but I believe that we have a responsibility to our friends, family, and most importantly our spouses and significant others to be positive and make things better. This begins with personal maintenance and improvement. What better way to honor your spouse than by keeping up your appearance, attitude, and demeanor. Now this does not included obvious exceptions such as medical issues and I'm not focused on aesthetics, but health - absolutely.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    I don't see why not.
    I mean you don't have to be an *kitten* about it, but I would rather my husband tell me when my *kitten* is getting big. It's kind of hard to look back there.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »
    Physical attraction and a healthy sex life is important, I agree, but this goes back to something I said earlier about reasonable expectations. Because we WILL change as we get older. So if you're the sort of person who would be completely turned off when your partner gains 20 pounds, are you ALSO the sort of person who will be completely turned off when he/she goes gray? Bald? Wrinkly?

This is maybe a silly and personal thing for ME, but I worry, a lot, that my husband was TOO into my looks when we met and fell in love. It set the expectations too high. I was at my absolute best, then, and I think I'm at my best again, now, but I can't maintain that level of attractiveness forever. Is he going to sit me down at some point and say, "honey, I love you no matter what and all, but our sex life is suffering because you're not that attractive to me anymore, and maybe, for the sake of our marriage, we would be a happier couple if you got regular botox injections and dyed your hair." And would it be acceptable for him to do that? Can I sit him down in a few years and ask him to get hair plugs if he starts to bald?

This is where I'm having a disconnect. There seems to be an attitude in this thread that if your partner fails to maintain an appropriate level of attractiveness, well, that's probably the end of your relationship, and I can't quite get around that, all by itself. I think sexual attraction is important, but in a loving relationship, that attraction goes further than what you see in the mirror. Doesn't it? Shouldn't it?

I understand what you are saying -but attraction means a lot to me as well. We can agree that attraction is a big realm of things. For instance, I have dated this guy that was so HOTTTTT. Geez he was hot, but he had a piss poor personality and attitude, which made him very unattractive to me even though he looked HOT! It is a matter of perspective IMO. For instance I'm not ready to date a 70 year old right now, because the saggy balls and 100% white pubes I'm not ready for.....but I can deal with someone around my age and we are progressing through them things together. I know with age comes potential weight gain, but my expectation is for you to remain active, be conscious about it because I want to be attracted to you, have fun and have you around for a long time.

I don't think we disagree, here, I think I'm just wondering where the line is, for everyone. We're talking about "drastic" changes, or "significant" weight gain, or "Fabio" turned into "Fat Albert," but aside from health concerns, at what point would weight gain (or loss) be significant enough to affect one's marriage based on lack of sexual attraction? Are there other features that are similarly important, or is weight a unique feature because of the perceived ability to "control" it? Because yeah - I can dye my hair. I DO dye my hair. But does he have a right to expect it?

I just don't know. I'm sure the answer is different for everyone, and I know there are a lot of other factors at play, but I'm curious. Like I said - it's a personal insecurity for me, and I think this is a really interesting discussion.

My husband is twice my weight. He's gained about 70# during our marriage. I don't find him less attractive because he's obese. He certainly did find me unattractive when I gained 100#. I don't base my marriage on just having sexy time, but it is nice to get it twice a year instead of never.

If people want to have sex as the main basis of their relationship, that's cool.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Yes I think so. However it should be lenient and health based. If they're complaining over a 5-10 lb gain or loss but you've always been in the normal health bracket, they're being too picky. If it's coming from a place of concern for health (as in you have significantly changed weight and they can see you suffering) then they should bring it up because they love you.

The gray area for me comes when you and your SO met when one was at an unhealthy weight.. if that doesn't come up while dating... should it come up in marriage? I'm not sure. At some point it sits too long to be overly appropriate to bring up unless it is the one who has the weight problem who brings it up. There would be exceptions always though.

It's so case by case. It's hard to weigh in on the matter (lol).

No matter what they should love each other. But that doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to discuss health issues respectfully.
  • heiliskrimsli
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Yes I think so. However it should be lenient and health based. If they're complaining over a 5-10 lb gain or loss but you've always been in the normal health bracket, they're being too picky. If it's coming from a place of concern for health (as in you have significantly changed weight and they can see you suffering) then they should bring it up because they love you.

The gray area for me comes when you and your SO met when one was at an unhealthy weight.. if that doesn't come up while dating... should it come up in marriage? I'm not sure. At some point it sits too long to be overly appropriate to bring up unless it is the one who has the weight problem who brings it up. There would be exceptions always though.

It's so case by case. It's hard to weigh in on the matter (lol).

No matter what they should love each other. But that doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to discuss health issues respectfully.

I'm not a proponent of unconditional love or the idea that someone should stay in a relationship that isn't a positive thing in their life.

I would bring up the weight problem early on, offer help to fix it, and if nothing changes, it's time to move on.

I'm also not going to start dating someone who is at an unhealthy weight. They will not make it to a first date, and if they're hiding it (online dating, blind dates) they won't make it through the first date so there's no risk that I'm going to be OK with it for a while and then have to bring it up later. If there's no attraction up front, there will be no dating.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options

I'm also not going to start dating someone who is at an unhealthy weight. They will not make it to a first date, and if they're hiding it (online dating, blind dates) they won't make it through the first date so there's no risk that I'm going to be OK with it for a while and then have to bring it up later. If there's no attraction up front, there will be no dating.

Just to build on this idea, it seems to me that if someone enters into a new relationship with the idea they are going to change someone, that seems like a nice start to a completely dysfunctional relationship anyways. I think it is perfectly acceptable to only pick to date people you are attracted to, I don't really see a good reason to try to force something you don't want. Unless you are unfortunate enough to be having some sort of arranged marriage?
    VeryKatie wrote: »

It just feels like they had to have found the personal attractive to have entered the relationship at all, so something must have changed. If the overweight spouse is still relatively the same then there must be something else going on that is making the other feel less attracted to them I would think.