Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Should your S.O./Spouse have a say so if they feel you are too thin or too large?

Options

Replies

• STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to relay my experience and the trickle on effect... I was at my heaviest at 180 something lbs, along with this weight gain came a drop in confidence, always covering myself up if i was naked in front of my husband, my hands just automatically dropped down to cover my belly which just made him pay even mooore attention to it!! When we were intimate i made sure the lights were dimmed and tried to position myself in the most flattering angle, it was *kitten* draining and totally annoying and mood killing for him.

I felt insecure around other slim women, which in turn caused arguments between me and him. I just felt like a fat, unattractive slob, and honestly who wants to be married to someone with that attitude!!??

...And lets not even get started on my micromanaging and constant blathering on about calories, oi oi oi

You know I can simply relate. My guy told me once if it bothers me (like what you described above) then you need to do something about it. But geez it is draining....
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    evilokc wrote: »
    I think it would be very difficult to tell someone you really love and respect that they are getting into a weight area that is unattractive to you. there is no way to say that without hurting them. I feel that most people who loved their spouse would suffer in silence before they spoke up.

Sometimes the hard thing is the thing that you need to do. Ultimately it would be unlivable for me to not say something.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options

I will say he married me at my highest weight (and he was close to his lowest at the time) and it has never bothered him in the slightest. It also doesn't bother him now that I'm a little lighter and he's my biggest supporter right now. Now, it may not have ever bothered him because it never bothered me - I still felt sexy and confident at my highest weight, it never bothered me to have the lights on or anything like that, I would march around in my birthday suit just fine (in the privacy of our house, of course!) and I know he finds that confidence sexy regardless of what I weigh so it hasn't really affected our sex life.

I think this is a big part of it too, things tend to start spiraling when one person loses self esteem.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I actually didn't really notice how much my husband gained. He's Army Reserves though so his weight gain started to be an obstacle to his career. At that point, it was sort of my business. Our family's health insurance was through Tricare. I try not to be a *kitten* about it but he still thinks I care more about his looks than I actually do. I dated plenty of overweight guys, it never bothered me. However, I'm not a fan of the idea of outliving him. I probably will anyway, there are serious longevity genes in my family tree, but I don't want it to start when I'm still young. Would it be nice if he traded in 10 lbs of fat for 10 lbs of muscle? Heck yeah, but none of my feelings depend on him being willing to do that.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Yes. No reason necessary.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    mwalle09 wrote: »
    It's an important question for sure. I don't think slight weight changes should matter so much and yes loving someone overcomes many flaws and personality counts way more than physical appearance but physical appearance can be an outward sign of something internal. When I met my ex, she was fit because she acted and danced and while I was fit, I was definitely not peak athletic fitness anymore, I'd put on a few but just normal in my eyes and she honestly did not mind. But within a year I'd gained about 50lbs more and had grown unhealthy. We lived together and she had seen the change, I was more stressed, I was binge eating, I was drinking more, there was a lot of pressure at work, etc. I had also stopped all sports and truthfully not the same guy. She brought up the weight then because it was a result of several other things she was seeing and it was even affecting her. So I think while I did not like it, out of concern it was very necessary to both wake me up and get my head out of the sand.

This is a different spin on it....and I believe serious weight gain or serious weight loss is an internal sign of something deeper as well. Thanks because I'm not sure this has been brought up in this thread that it could be more going on internally.
  • Misskcm
    Misskcm Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I think it is important to want your partner to be healthy.
    I had gained 15 pounds since I met my boyfriend and he's gained about 20.
    We both told each other in our own way that the other needed to try to be healthier.
    He makes little jokes that he knows won't hurt me but made me realize I needed to get in shape or and I make sure to cook healthier meals for him and when he is out on the road for work and asks me what he should get for dinner I suggest something healthier like a salad from subway.
    My love hasn't changed for him and I truly believe his hasn't changed for me because of the weight gain we have both put on.
    But I think it is important to be honest with each other and always try to push the other to be the best they can be.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I get what you're daying Ebony. It reminds me of a friend of mine, she was a tiny size 6 when she got married, she didn't stay that size for long. .. Her excuse was "I'm married now, i don't have to worry about my appearance any more" .