Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Should your S.O./Spouse have a say so if they feel you are too thin or too large?

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    I took it as more 'Where do they FIND a spouse when they can't get out of bed?', when so many other singles are out there searching and can't manage to find anyone.

I would guess that sometimes they meet them online either dating sites or other forums.
    Just like many other people.

On the show, most of them met their partners while they were still up and mobile. Then, they just continued to gain to the point of immobility.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Mine has no problem with telling me how fat and unattractive I am. I'm not sure what he was going for, but it sure didn't help me lose weight.

I think it's because you have to be mentally ready to do it for yourself.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    IMO if your feelings toward your partner undergo any sustained (even if minor) change, you have a responsibility to tell them. It shouldn't get to the point where your partner is "too thin" or "too fat," because that's not something that just happens; it's something that happens over time. And if I choose to ignore a potential problem because maybe it'll just resolve itself, I need to worry less about my partner's issues and focus more on addressing my own.

Effective communication is VITAL to any long-term relationship.
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    I took it as more 'Where do they FIND a spouse when they can't get out of bed?', when so many other singles are out there searching and can't manage to find anyone.
    Yes, how do you find a spouse and how do you keep a spouse when normal day activities or a having a typical functioning marriage is halted. For most, no sex, no dating life, no working, no sharing the bed, no maintaining of the house, etc....
  • STLBADGIRL
    Mine has no problem with telling me how fat and unattractive I am. I'm not sure what he was going for, but it sure didn't help me lose weight.
    @chantelp0508 Yes, that type of communication does not work for all people. Are you still with him?

• heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    IMO if your feelings toward your partner undergo any sustained (even if minor) change, you have a responsibility to tell them. It shouldn't get to the point where your partner is "too thin" or "too fat," because that's not something that just happens; it's something that happens over time. And if I choose to ignore a potential problem because maybe it'll just resolve itself, I need to worry less about my partner's issues and focus more on addressing my own.

There are people who have said that it seems extreme to bring up a five or ten pound weight gain, because it's so minor and it shouldn't change anything. I think you have a clear point here about why it's not too minor to bring up. If you don't, then what? Do you wait until it's a serious problem and then you're that jerk who "suddenly" isn't attracted to them anymore and dumps them?

Personally I prefer the early and more communication route, both for myself and from an SO, and I prefer if they're direct about it. I don't do subtle hints.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member

There are people who have said that it seems extreme to bring up a five or ten pound weight gain, because it's so minor and it shouldn't change anything. I think you have a clear point here about why it's not too minor to bring up. If you don't, then what? Do you wait until it's a serious problem and then you're that jerk who "suddenly" isn't attracted to them anymore and dumps them?

Personally I prefer the early and more communication route, both for myself and from an SO, and I prefer if they're direct about it. I don't do subtle hints.

can you really see 5 pounds difference in someone?
  • chantelp0508
    chantelp0508 Posts: 162 Member
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »
    @chantelp0508 Yes, that type of communication does not work for all people. Are you still with him?

[/quote]

I am. I just try to ignore it
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member

can you really see 5 pounds difference in someone?

The more fit and lean someone is, the easier it is to see smaller weight fluctuations.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Interesting thread. I have always been overweight and I still am. I had no problem attracting men when I was 200 lbs heavier. I still talk to a couple of men that I have known for some years. The funny thing is some don't mention my weight either way. I asked one if he liked my new body or my old body and he said he cant tell the difference. I did not take that as insult because he is attracted to me both ways. I asked another guy that I really like if he likes my body better now or before. He said I liked your body before and I like your body now. Great answer. I also asked him if there is a point where I could lose so much weight that he would no longer be attracted to me. He kinda gave me a vague answer. For me, I think people see you as you portray yourself, no matter what size you are. If someone likes you and especially if they love you then they should love you as you are. Having said that, if a man I like gains an extreme amount of weight I do not think I would still be attracted to him...Ijs
  • STLBADGIRL
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    A bit off topic but my boss got this junk email this morning and it made me think of this thread:

is7sxknjkl9a.png

@MeganAM89 What the actual *kitten*...... I wonder how this is going to play out.... I have no more words....
  • STLBADGIRL
    A bit off topic but my boss got this junk email this morning and it made me think of this thread:

is7sxknjkl9a.png

@MeganAM89 What the actual *kitten*...... I wonder how this is going to play out.... I have no more words....

It's just click bait - and possibly a link to a virus.

lmaoooooooooooooo. Didn't pick up on that. I've been studying for finals and I am a little off my rocker today. :blush:
  • STLBADGIRL

I am. I just try to ignore it [/quote]

Crap. Please do not let his ill way of communicating to you result in low self esteem. And hopefully he is supporting you on your quest to a healthier and fitter you.
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    I think if you're over weight or under weight your s.o can make a suggestion to you about it like "honey maybe we should start eating healthier and working out together" if they take it wrongly there's ways to tell them without being mean like "I just want us to be healthier so we can live longer together and feel better" of they don't want to change then that's fine but if you're not okay with it don't be with them. Demanding a change or treating you badly for it is a form of domestic abuse so no that is not okay. There are ways to talk about these things and they should be addressed.
  • STLBADGIRL
    ericatoday wrote: »
    I think if you're over weight or under weight your s.o can make a suggestion to you about it like "honey maybe we should start eating healthier and working out together" if they take it wrongly there's ways to tell them without being mean like "I just want us to be healthier so we can live longer together and feel better" of they don't want to change then that's fine but if you're not okay with it don't be with them. Demanding a change or treating you badly for it is a form of domestic abuse so no that is not okay. There are ways to talk about these things and they should be addressed.
    I've had friends to lose weight at their partner's request and they S.O still left. Sometimes I think it is multiple factors and weight is just the icing on the cake vs just the weight issues IMO. I know others on here said that weight solely will cause them to leave though. And for some reason I don't think they would have the sweet conversation that you stated they should have :/

• TaraTaraTara76
    TaraTaraTara76 Posts: 89 Member
    I don't think an SO should ever bring up their partner's weight. Period. End of story. There's no need. If somebody gets overweight, I'm sure they are well aware of it. It's just a recipe for hurt feelings or in my case I'd probably get pissed off:)
  • STLBADGIRL
    I don't think an SO should ever bring up their partner's weight. Period. End of story. There's no need. If somebody gets overweight, I'm sure they are well aware of it. It's just a recipe for hurt feelings or in my case I'd probably get pissed off:)

@TaraTaraTara76 - so are you suggesting that they not communicate with you at all their feelings regarding your weight or are you suggesting that they should trust that you will do something about your weight on your own?