Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Should your S.O./Spouse have a say so if they feel you are too thin or too large?

Options

Replies

• STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    So in ads determined by current discussions on MFP, I looked some at t-shirts (completely unrelated) I might add to my sister's birthday present next week, and came back to MFP with the following as the main ad on my page:

zds24nvessey.jpg

Nice to know BigTshirt is watching.

HAHAHAA....LOL @ BigTshirt is watching.
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    I watch my 600lbs life all the time....and I am astounded at how many of them are married and/or have a S.O.

I have plenty of friends that are a little overweight and can't find a decent guy, but the 600 lbs men and women can pull them a husband and S.O. and they seem to be supportive for the most part.
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »
    I watch my 600lbs life all the time....and I am astounded at how many of them are married and/or have a S.O.

I have plenty of friends that are a little overweight and can't find a decent guy, but the 600 lbs men and women can pull them a husband and S.O. and they seem to be supportive for the most part.

There's a difference between being supportive and being an enabler, though. ;)

Very good point....
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

Logistically speaking I'm not sure if it's possible to reach 600 lbs without someone enabling this.

In at least one case the enabler was a feeder and left because the feedee started losing weight.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options

Yeah, I realllly wouldn't hold those relationships up as a shining example, if the bits and pieces I've seen of the show are any indication!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

Logistically speaking I'm not sure if it's possible to reach 600 lbs without someone enabling this.

In at least one case the enabler was a feeder and left because the feedee started losing weight.

And another where the enabler was afraid his wife would realize he was worthless and leave him if she lost weight. I think he did eventually decide that risking divorce was better than helping her eat herself to death.
  • STLBADGIRL
    edited April 2017
    Options

I didn't think about it like that... That is so true...big time enabler. But they still have a S.O/husband which is somewhat shocking to me at that level of obesity...
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

I didn't think about it like that... That is so true...big time enabler. But they still have a S.O/husband :/

LOL - an insight into how my mind works.
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options

I think I know the epi you are speaking of. I couldn't comprehend it.

But I don't understand how the 600lb person MAKES them cook food that they shouldn't have - when they can't even get up and walk/cook for themselves. They would get what I cooked and the portion that I provided IF I had to cook for them.
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

Yeah, I realllly wouldn't hold those relationships up as a shining example, if the bits and pieces I've seen of the show are any indication!

Ha, so you think they might be doing it for the cameras?
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options

I didn't think about it like that... That is so true...big time enabler. But they still have a S.O/husband which is somewhat shocking to me at that level of obesity...

You'll find all kinds of dysfunctional people hanging on to one another for dear life. It's really not a plus, in many cases :confused:

Ok, you are right and this makes sense. Whew
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

You'll find all kinds of dysfunctional people hanging on to one another for dear life. It's really not a plus, in many cases :confused:

Yes, and this is precisely why some of us here would not tolerate/enable a spouse who began to let him/herself go. It doesn't need to get to the level of super morbid obesity for you to recognize a demoralizing, toxic dynamic forming.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

Ha, so you think they might be doing it for the cameras?

No, I think they are just dysfunctional people in dysfunctional relationships. Some of them are trying to get better, and some of them aren't...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    an ultimatum implies I had no choice, and I most certainly did.

I'm not the poster you were responding to, but I don't understand an ultimatum to mean you had no choice at all. An ultimatum is simply a statement of consequence -- if you do/don't do this, this is the consequence. Here, the consequence seems like it would have been no relationship.

And for the record, I didn't see the original thread, but it makes sense to me, and I can quite easily see it as coming from a place of concern, as well as a legitimate feeling that your commitment to taking positive steps would be necessary for a relationship.