Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.
Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Should your S.O./Spouse have a say so if they feel you are too thin or too large?

Replies

• STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Definitely been some unsavoury comments been said re larger people. You will have to read back

I'm interested... but with 27 pages in this thread, can you help me narrow the search? Are we talking half way back? early on? 2 days ago?

Not trying to put you on the spot/make you call out names...

Spotlight has named some just now but and if you go back a few pages there was a quick summary

OK, since those are right here, let's start there.

I don't find fat people sexually attractive.

Is that fat shaming? I don't think it is. It's a preference... I'm not condemning who they are as a person, I'm just saying I'm less apt to want to have sex with them, everything else being equal.

If someone said they didn't find bald people attractive, I wouldn't be offended. It's not a judgement on who I am, it's a judgement on my hairline, which I'm well aware of, and they have every right to have that opinion.

The smell thing... I'm not even sure what to make of that.

I brought up fat shaming because that is a real thing and it makes it difficult for an obese person to want to go out in public, work out in a gym or do other physical activities. Most of the time an obese person is already unhappy with the way that they look and have to deal with that 24/7 from their own perspective and then have to hear it or get the stares, etc. adds another layer to it.

wtf, now we cant look around because it can offend a larger person?

c'mon now...stop minimizing stuff... "Look around" and "stare" is different. This is type of foolery I'm talking about.
  • STLBADGIRL
    I can be a bit shallow when dating....I've probably ruled out some good candidates b/c of their appearance or their phone conversation. But once we cross over to the love category, it's a new set of rules....I'm a little forgiving on some flaws if you are a good/decent man.
  • STLBADGIRL
    @cs2thecox - Clap, clap....Nicely put and I agree with everything you've said!

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,069 Member
    Oh wow. That breaks my heart. ^^
  • STLBADGIRL
    And for your entertainment and to show the backlash from his post - I will post some of the responses....Funny, they sound like we do in this thread...lmaooooooooooooo

salamanderwolf 71 points
    sorry, you f()cked up. I know everyone will come on and tell you, "yay you did the right thing, being overweight is terrible, it shows lack of focus/commitment/care" etc etc etc. But you f()cked up.
    look at what you wrote. what you wrote is a grown up relationship. grown up relationships don't have the wild, throw the person round the room, make her scream, grab the whipped cream kind of sex all the time. It has the comforting, silly, laughable, intimate kind of sex. it has the I've got a cold but still feel like getting it on kind of sex. It even has the I'm not really feeling it but I love you to the point I want you to be happy so I'll *kitten* you knowing if the situation was reversed you would do the same thing kind of sex.
    you had a great woman you felt everything for to the point you write a long essay saying how much you love her and seriously threw it away for sex? seriously? go back and read your TL;DR. it reads like a soppy 13 year old's text book.
    You may get someone you feel passionately attracted to instead but will they produce the same feelings that produced this post? I doubt it. so what you have to do is choose whats important to you. if sex is important enough to throw someone who makes you feel like this without even talking to her away then great, fill you boots on all the passionate squelchy sloppy sex you can get your hands on.
    If you want someone who's gonna be there when your throwing up, keeping your hair clear of the mess, someone who is gonna be there and not judge you when you cry, just hold you and tell you its ok or someone who will laugh like its the funniest thing they've ever seen when something stupid happens during sex then fight for her, talk to her if she will still talk to you, let her know what happened. give her the choice and if she's as special as you think then she may surprise you.
    either way, good luck and I really really wish you choose right for your life.
    permalinkembed

BizSib 48 points
    No one has an obligation to stay with someone they aren't attracted to.

salamanderwolf 9 points
    yeah at no point did I say "You, You monster!!!! how dare you break up with her. My god your worse than Hitler!!!!" I merely pointed out there are more important things than sex in a long term grown up relationship.
    sorry about the sarcasm though, having a crappy day.
    permalinkembedparent

BizSib 24 points
    More important things? Maybe. But sex is pretty f()cking important if you ask most people.
    Sorry about your crappy day :( I hope it gets better.
    permalinkembedparent

evilbrent 0 points
    Name one thing more important than love.
    permalinkembedparent

nlakes 12 point
    You cannot have long-term mutual love without sex in most relationships.
    Resentment builds up without sex and nobody on earth has enough love to overcome that.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    is this a case of - the more people have going for them, the more preferences they hold?

Just a thought.

So your suggestion is that only someone without stuff going for them would stay with a spouse who gained a few lbs and became a 25 BMI?

Because no one in this thread has actually been talking about initial attraction.
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    cs2thecox wrote: »
    Then yes, it's absolutely ok to acknowledge change BUT you have to be very clear in your head why the change is unacceptable to you, and consider what might have triggered it. Is it a health concern, is it something that it has caused to change about your relationship. I think you would always have to bring it up in that kind of context rather than just "wow, bae, you got FAT!".

My libido doesn't really care what the reasons are, though. My eyes see someone that's fat and I have no desire at all to do anything naked with them. That is one of the reasons why the change is not acceptable.

[quote[Depending on the reasons, it may be something you can work through, or it may not be.[/quote]

It's something either that person changes or they don't, but I can't just make myself still be attracted to someone who got fat if their reason is good enough. It doesn't work that way. My options become cheat, abstinence, or end the relationship.
    We should all look a bit deeper, but if the issues revealed do show you're not compatible, then it's better to call it than stay in a relationship that doesn't make either of you happy.

My ability to actually get aroused isn't based on deeper issues though, so regardless of what they are the physical manifestation is still an issue, and one I would not be able to get past.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    I so want to post a dead horse meme here but I've already been warned this week, so I'd better not...

How about a dog???

Poor pupper! Actually, very overweight pets make me sad, because it means their humans aren't knowledgeable enough or don't care that they are obviously overfeeding or feeding them the wrong thing (says the lady who spends upwards of $100/month on grain-free food for her two doofy mutts :tongue: )

Yeah, I feel the same way. There was this terrible episode of Cat from Hell (that Jackson Galaxy show) with this enormously obese cat that had been so poorly fed that it would eat donuts (and begged for them) and not normal cat food (or the types of food cats should eat -- basically meat). I was so angry with the family (of course the owners on those shows are usually the issue).

I suppose my fat squirrels fall somewhat in the same category as they are eating food from humans in some way, probably, but for some reason I do find fat squirrels cute. (I think slightly fat kitties can be cute too, but it's bad for their health -- my older cat, not the one in my avi, gives me a struggle with his weight as he overeats when given an opportunity and doesn't want to be active.)
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,871 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I so want to post a dead horse meme here but I've already been warned this week, so I'd better not...

How about a dog???

Poor pupper! Actually, very overweight pets make me sad, because it means their humans aren't knowledgeable enough or don't care that they are obviously overfeeding or feeding them the wrong thing (says the lady who spends upwards of $100/month on grain-free food for her two doofy mutts :tongue: )

Yeah, I feel the same way. There was this terrible episode of Cat from Hell (that Jackson Galaxy show) with this enormously obese cat that had been so poorly fed that it would eat donuts (and begged for them) and not normal cat food (or the types of food cats should eat -- basically meat). I was so angry with the family (of course the owners on those shows are usually the issue).

I suppose my fat squirrels fall somewhat in the same category as they are eating food from humans in some way, probably, but for some reason I do find fat squirrels cute. (I think slightly fat kitties can be cute too, but it's bad for their health -- my older cat, not the one in my avi, gives me a struggle with his weight as he overeats when given an opportunity and doesn't want to be active.)

Fat squirrels are definitely cute! I figure it's on them as non-domesticated animals to practice proper portion control :lol: I fear I am derailing this fascinating thread with my discriminatory views of fat pets now, though. No fat pets for me!
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    is this a case of - the more people have going for them, the more preferences they hold?

Just a thought.

So your suggestion is that only someone without stuff going for them would stay with a spouse who gained a few lbs and became a 25 BMI?

Because no one in this thread has actually been talking about initial attraction.

The higher your market value the more you can be picky yourself. It's how the whole thing works.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited April 2017
    aggelikik wrote: »
    I love it when it all gets down to athlete pics to "prove" that BMI does not work for us common people. The sad truth is that for most of us, at a BMI of 25 or even 24 or for many 23, we are not looking that good any more. The fact that there are lots of people in whatever country one might be who are very overweight, it really does not change anything.

Reese Witherspoon is supposedly at a 25 bmi, Tom Cruise is at 26. they look pretty good to me, and would still look good with a few more pounds. ashley graham comes in at 29 and i would not kick her out of bed; same with denise bidot. these arbitrary lines in the sand are sad.

personally, i tend more towards sapio-sexual considerations than i am concerned whether my partner is carrying extra weight. if it's a health concern, if it inhibits sex drive (not performance, but obesity can impact that too) then i would address those issues with him, but the aesthetics aren't a driving force for me. **unless we're talking tinder.

And this is why there are no rules in preferences and there is also maybe some cultural influence about what is normal or going a step further, desirable. You finding Ashley Graham or Denise Bidot (had to look them up I admit) looking good is awesome for you and for anyone who feels this way. I cannot talk about sexual attraction as I am not bisexual, but I would have felt pretty awful for myself if my body looked like this. Different people have different ideas about what is beautiful and sexy. And this is ok, it is not a crime or a moral issue.