June 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    No run for me today, I hit the gym for some weight training. Hope everyone had a good run today!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @BettyM1017 64oz is the goal because I normally drink less! That's the floor of what I'm trying to drink, I told myself I need to drink at least that much, I might be closer to a gallon a day, with the humidity and all. Nuun is an electrolyte supplement.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Hey @BettyM1017 and anyone else wondering what nuun is:

https://nuun.com/blog/behind-the-name-nuun

Some folks like it (I do), some don't. I find it's very convenient with the summer heat.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Some folks like it (I do), some don't. I find it's very convenient with the summer heat.

I like Nuun, especially on hot summer runs because it doesn't give me any stomach issues that I sometimes get from Gatorade. I drink Nuun pre-marathon too, like @MNLittleFinn , but I alternate it with Gatorade because Gatorade gives you carbs and Nuun doesn't.
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

6/1: 8.7k -w/u, Tempo Run, c/d-
    6/2: 10.3k -again Tempo-
    6/4: 7.1k - urban running
    6/6: 14.1k -Long run-
    6/7: 7.3k -Easy run-
    6/8: 1.5k -treadmill as w/u for strength training-

Aim: 49k/161k

New hotel, new gym. I hit the deck :smiley:

Stay free of injuries!
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »

I like Nuun, especially on hot summer runs because it doesn't give me any stomach issues that I sometimes get from Gatorade. I drink Nuun pre-marathon too, like @MNLittleFinn , but I alternate it with Gatorade because Gatorade gives you carbs and Nuun doesn't.

Huh, I had the opposite reaction to Nuun. I can handle Gatorade but Nuun tore my stomach to shreds!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    We talked about this last month how Cipro can cause tendon tears. Andrew, whose blog this is, is a friend of mine and a PT.

https://physioworkshsv.com/psa-can-common-medications-affect-your-tendons/?utm_content=buffer3822c&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I like Nuun because it is [relatively] low carb. It seems to have gotten worse over time, though... I used to be able to find them with 1g net carbs. Now, all the flavors seem to have minimum 3g net carbs. Since I eat low carb, I need more electrolytes than normal anyway. Nuun tablets are a convenient way to deliver those electrolytes... especially when it is impractical to carry a jar of pickles / pickle juice around.
  • wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    @girlinahat - Good job restarting Stronglifts - I have let that go by the wayside and am trying to get someone in my family to restart it with me. I find it hard to self motivate to lift weights.

@RespectTheKitty - So impressed that you just got up and kept going! I highly suspect I would have gotten up and headed back at that point.

@ddmom0811 - So the AP tests will be back soon? My son took Gov, Language, Seminar and World History AP tests this year. Bet you are glad to have that done and get back to enjoying the summer.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Azercord wrote: »
    Well it is official, I've ordered a Fenix 5. I figured it can do anything I might even consider trying (although I really just lift and run) so I might as well go all out and spend the extra. Thanks for all the tips, now to cut the cord on my phone dependency....although I probably still carry it for Zombies, Run! :)

Awesome! That's one of the watches I'm looking at because I want to upgrade from my forerunner 230
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    And.... Another Question for all you more experienced than me marathoners... so basically everyone who's run one. Here'd the background: My goodie bag at packet pick up will also be my gear bag. For both the Half Marathon's I ran, I didn't use one, first because it was an out and back and my family was at the finish, and for the second because I really didn't think of it.

This time around, with a P2P marathon, where I'm actually staying closer to the start, I was thinking it would be good to have a bag set for me at the end. I was thinking a change of clothes (shirt, shorts, my sandals maybe) but that's as far as I got.

So, my question is, Do you make use of having a gear bag brought to the finish line? If so, what did you have in yours?

Thanks!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Wow, just got caught up for today!

I decided to skip this morning's run to keep an eye on a glute that felt a bit off this morning but it's been alright since. I'll just shift my rest day from tomorrow to today and run today's run tomorrow.

Congrats to everyone who ran, I saw a PR posted, a fall that was conquered, tons o mileage, and I know I'm forgetting something, but congrats!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @Azercord I carry my phone both so that I can get updates from Sam andto listen to music in between mission updates. Plus, I see it as a safety precaution... in case of emergency, if I am in a place with service, I can summon help.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - For Boston, I ran in a singlet and shorts. My drop bag had warm up pants, my race shirt, and my Boston Celebration jacket. I wanted to dress more warmly after I stopped running. In the changing tent, I saw a guy changing into dry underwear; I wasn't that smart. Maybe next year.

A lot depends on the weather and how much space you have in the drop bag. It would have been nice to have dry socks and shoes, but space prevented that. (Actually, I packed spare socks but it was too much effort to take off my shoes to change socks.)

You just have to do the best you can with what you know when you have to pack the bag. If you want something specific in the way of food or drink that you don't expect the race to provide, pack that.