Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    rusgolden wrote: »
    @elise4270 "only 90" ha ha
    @MNLittlefinn stupid company spam filter is blocking your picture :angry:

Probably blocking the photo for all of the skin showing, lol. @MNLittleFinn looks good on you... excited to hear how your race goes!
    rusgolden wrote: »
    @elise4270 "only 90" ha ha
    @MNLittlefinn stupid company spam filter is blocking your picture :angry:

Probably blocking the photo for all of the skin showing, lol. @MNLittleFinn looks good on you... excited to hear how your race goes!

Well dang I always miss out

Hahahahahahahahahaha
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    ctlaws44 wrote: »
    When coming up on people I like to yell "YHAA!!" (with the whip noise sounding in my head) like from the theme song for Rawhide. I like to imagine I'm herding people like cattle.

Now I want to go one better, buy a whip and DO this!!!

(And yeah, thanks for the dang-dalalang-dang-dang stuff in my head)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn - you're going as a watermelon?????

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha :D Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    I am so telling the OCR guys this.....
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,389 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    @stoshew71 since we run on the same greenway you'll appreciate this. Yesterday I think every single person from the Chinese church up on Old Madison Pike was walking the greenway after church. All in bunches, all walking next to each other, all on the wrong side. Really? My biggest pet peeve is people who let their dogs poop on the greenway itself and don't clean it up. What is there about 15' of grass on each side of the greenway right? Now I will admit from time to time I'll leave my doggie bag behind, but I always pick it up on the way out. They need to put trash cans out there like Bradford has. I don't want to carry my doggie poop bag for 4 miles thank you.

That drives me nuts. I always pick up after my dogs. Once I saw a lady who I know never picks up after her dog. Her dog was pooping and she was yacking away on her phone. I stopped and handed her a waste bag and said, "Did you need a bag? I have extras." She did pick it up that time.

@skippygirlsmom and @kgirlhart - This makes me crazy too! We have people who let their dogs poop on the paved trail and leave it! What makes it worse is the city provides bags and separate little trash bins in places along the trail so they really have no excuse other than being too lazy to clean it up. I did stop a guy a while back who let his dog poop on the trail and walked away... I said to him in an incredulous voice 'Seriously you are going to let your dog poop right there on the trail and not clean it up? You know they provide bags, stick a few in your pocket so you have one when you need it!' He did go to the dispenser and got a bag and went back and cleaned it up. I have seen people let their dogs go right next to the bag dispenser and not clean it up! I guess they just think it will miraculously go away or the poop fairy will take care of it! I saw a sign once on FB that basically said 'Did your dog do this??? There is no Poop Fairy! Clean up after your dog!' I would love to have them to put along the trail!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    I thought watermelon too :)

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    06/01/17 :::: 2.4 :::: 2.4
    06/02/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 2.4
    06/03/17 :::: 8.4 :::: 10.7
    06/04/17 :::: 3.1 :::: 13.9
    06/05/17 :::: 3.3 :::: 17.2
    06/06/17 :::: 3.5 :::: 20.7
    06/07/17 :::: 5.0 :::: 25.7
    06/08/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 25.7
    06/09/17 :::: 3.6 :::: 29.3
    06/10/17 :::: 7.8 :::: 37.0
    06/11/17 :::: 7.5 :::: 44.5
    06/12/17 :::: 2.8 :::: 47.4

90 degrees here too. Went to running group but just did a base run because I'll do hill workout tomorrow night with the HM/marathon group. I only went because there was no way I was motivated enough to get out there and run by myself. It's supposed to cool of by 10 degrees or so tomorrow. I hope.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    I remember last year at an event down in the States an un-scheduled train crossed the course and destroyed the BQ hopes for a large group of Runners. I just copied this from the Web-Site for the Banff Marathon this weekend.

Our scenic running course takes you through some of the most scenic land in the world…and also across some active railway tracks. We will know when trains are approaching and we will have race marshals on both sides of the track to halt the race accordingly. In order to ensure your timing does not get disrupted by train activity, we will place timing matts on either side of the tracks. The time needed to close the course at railway crossings will be deleted off of the final time of any patiently waiting athletes.
    Now that deserves some Kudo's for the Race Director and Committee.
    @MNLittleFinn - you're going as a watermelon?????
    Looks like he could Mascot for the Saskatchewan RoughRiders in the CFL, all he would have to add is a Watermelon Helmet. Okay Me Bad.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    re: Passing

I recognize most of the bad situations that have been described, and I count myself fortunate because they aren't common for me. I run in the street where possible, for a couple of reasons: 1) I run quite a few miles, and asphalt is softer than concrete (or worse, slate in parts of the city), and 2) I have this crazy idea that sidewalks are for, well, *walking* and it's my responsibility to avoid the people using the sidewalk for its intended purpose. So if the sidewalk is full of pedestrians, I'll detour to the street or go around them on the grass. As long as it's an easy run, no big deal; and a sidewalk full of pedestrians is a lousy place to try to do speed work.

Hiker/biker trails is where I get most of my passing issues. I will typically pass runners without comment, unless I'm overtaking a group running together and taking the whole path. For those, I shout, "Runner back!" They seem to wake up for this better than for, "On the left!" Cyclists may call out "on the left" or "on the right," which is fine; or they may pass me on the left without saying anything, which is also fine. The cyclist who passed me on the right without saying anything startled me a little because he broke with convention.

Runners passing me typically pass without comment. But that will usually be someone who knows who I am, and they don't need to say anything to know the safe and convenient way to get around me.

Clumps of pedestrians are the biggest issue, because they are frequently unaware of traffic and they may behave unpredictably. As long as I can see where they are and where they are likely to move, I just go around them. It's their path, too. This becomes a little bit of an issue if a long tempo interval takes me through a congested section of the Erie Canal Trail when I'm trying to run a specific pace. So far, it hasn't turned into a major issue.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,389 Member
    Options
    Ok I am NOT going to gloat about how nice the weather has been here! It didn't get much over 70 all weekend with some rain and drizzle. Today it is topping out at 75. I will be crying though by Friday when it is supposed to hit 90.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    June Running Totals (miles)
    6/1 – 8.25 warm up, speed work, cool down
    6/2 – rest day
    6/3 – 12.18 solo + group run
    6/4 – 7.21 easy with fast finish
    6/5 – 7.07 easy
    6/6 – 11.05 warm up, speed work, cool down
    6/7 – 7.38 group run
    6/8 – 5.33 warm up, easy speed work, cool down
    6/9 – 3.01 warm up + McMullen Mile
    6/10 – 15.01 group run 6 + solo run 9
    6/11 – 10.01 hot and sunny
    6/12 – 10.06 hot with hills

June total to date – 96.56

Nominal Challenge Goal – 230 miles
    Real Goals: Stay healthy. Train toward Rochester Marathon. Run McMullen Mile in under 5:50 on June 9. [Done, 5:44.9] Run Medved 5K to Cure ALS in under 20:00 on June 18.

Today's notes – Today I set out to run my standard 10 mile loop with hills in the opposite direction of what I usually run. You would think a retired guy could time his running for the weather, but that turned out not to be the case today. I had to be up early to take my cat to the vet for a dental cleaning. Big procedure, there all day, and pick her up again at 6:30. So early morning running was out, and evening running was out. Late morning might have worked, except I was totally out of bagged salad. So if I wanted a salad at lunch, I had to go shopping; and Aldi was more likely to have a good selection of bell peppers and grapes if I went in the morning than if I went in the afternoon.

With one thing and another, I got onto the road about noon. The porch thermometer said it was 88º F (31º C) at that point. Because I was an hour earlier than yesterday, I had some sporadic shade for the first 0.7 mile. Then there was quite a bit of shade for mile 2, and the sun went behind clouds off and on early in the run. Still had a very sunny stretch for miles 3 and 4, and I spent quite a bit of time running with traffic on the eastbound and northbound segments of less major streets to grab shade that wasn't available on the other side of the street.

I was looking at my heart rate as I ran, and I saw a definite cardiac drift over the course of the run. But what the heck, the humidity was down at 45%. It will get worse later in the summer. Ended up with 13 minutes in HR Zone 3, and 5 seconds in Zone 4; but I think that was mostly my body trying to shed excess heat rather than serious exertion on my part. Not that it makes that big a difference.

Got home, and I was dripping with sweat. Walked the street a bit to cool down, came inside and saw the porch thermometer now said it was 90º F (32º C). Yes, it really felt that warm. I drained the last of my 8 ounce of Nuun at a stoplight, about 8.7 miles along. Arrived home with maybe 3 or 4 ounces of water left in my 12 ounce bottle. Would have run out on a 12 mile run, and probably would have run out on an 11 mile run. It's time to put away the Nathan 2-bottle hydration belt and pull out the Amphipod 4-bottle hydration belt.

Picked up the cat on time at 6:45. By now it feels like much better running weather. It's only down to 86º F (30º C), but there are hazy clouds in the west and there is plenty of shade. Oh, well. You run when you have time to run.

Yes, the cat is fine, though still a bit out of things from the anaesthetic she needed to get her teeth cleaned:

h133tdmw9b0u.jpg

2017 races:
    January 1, 2017 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY) Finished in 50:45
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) Finished in 1:32:40
    January 14, 2017 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY) Finished in 33:42
    January 28, 2017 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY) short course, finished 4.88 miles in 32:50
    February 4, 2017 USATF Cross Country National Championship Masters 8K (Bend, OR) Finished in 35:39, team won the 60+ Men's cross country championship
    February 11, 2017 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY) sat out due to training schedule
    February 25, 2017 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY) short course, finished 4.34 miles in 27:51
    March 11, 2017 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 33:25
    March 18, 2017 USATF Masters 8K Championship (Shamrock 8K, Virginia Beach, VA) finished in 30:59, PR for 8K
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:49:42
    April 30, 2017 USATF Masters 10K Championship (James Joyce Ramble, Dedham, MA) finished in 39:54, PR for 10K
    May 21, 2017 Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY) finished in 40:04
    May 27, 2017 Canandaigua Classic Half Marathon (Canandaigua, NY) finished in 1:33:06
    June 9, 2017 Charlie McMullen Mile (Fairport, NY) finished in 5:44.90, PR for mile
    June 18, 2017 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY)
    July 28, 2017 Karknocker 5K (East Rochester, NY)
    September 3, 2017 Oak Tree Half Marathon (Geneseo, NY)
    September 17, 2017 MVP Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY)
    November 23, 2017 Race with Grace 10K (Hilton, NY)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    6/1 - 5.20 miles (also starting a diet change to increase carbs slightly)
    6/2 - rest
    6/3 - 9.00 painful and slow miles in sweltering heat with the sun beating down
    6/4 - rest
    6/5 - 5.25 miles not as hot as Sat., but still hot (need to stop making excuses for slow pace)
    6/6 - 5.37 miles - early am, so started out dark, but nice and cool out
    6/7 - 5.00 miles (early am, nice and cool again... had to add some distance to get up to the full 5 miles)
    6/8 - 13.18 miles (started out 3am and tired along with GI distress, terrible pace but stuck with it - improved as I got to the last few miles - average total pace 11:13)
    6/9 - rest (backpacking in evening, not counting non-running miles)
    6/10 - rest (backpacking, not counting non-running miles)
    6/11 - rest (backpacking, not counting non-running miles)
    6/12 - 6.60 miles, fairly warm, totally new area while traveling for work, slow average pace

exercise.png

6/24 - Glacier National Park HM
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    6/1: rest
    6/2: rest
    6/3: 5 miles
    6/4: 10 miles
    6/5: 5 miles
    6/6: rest
    6/7: 5 miles
    6/8: 4 miles
    6/9: rest
    6/10: 9 miles
    6/11: 5 miles
    6/12: 3 miles

TOTAL: 46/105 miles

3 very HOT miles tonight at the group pub run. My phone told me it was 93F with a heat index of 96F at 6:30pm right before the run. Heat acclimation is now in full swing. 3 easy miles was on the plan for today but with the temperature being that hot and still running at a 9:30 min/mile pace, it probably wasn't as "easy" as it should have been. I had never gone on a group run from this specific running store before and looked at the route beforehand, but I accidentally started to blindly follow the two girls in front of me and by the time I realized what I was doing and that I hadn't been paying attention, I didn't really know where I was. Luckily, their pace was only slightly faster than mine and they weren't going for more miles than I was, so I was able to keep them in sight and follow them back to the store. I actually only ended up with 2.6 by the time we got back and was okay with that at first, but ended up going back out after a few minutes to finish up the 3.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    A potential solution to scaring folks?

I'm stiiting outside on the walk eating a bowl of Honey nut Cheerios just after dusk and hear music. It was a runner. She had her music playing on her phone strapped in an arm band.

Anyone try this​?
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    June Goal: Goal? We don't need no stinkin goal.....

6/1 nothin
    6/2 4.00
    6/3 4.00
    6/4 4.00
    6/5 rest
    6/6 3.87
    6/7 4.13
    6/8 3.50
    6/9 rest
    6/10 6.12
    6/11 3.50
    6/12 4.00

Total 37.12

@elise4270 "Anyone try this​? " I have done that when my bluetooth headphones lose charge...but I mostly run on a deserted rural back road, so rarely see anyone to pass anyway....

Ticker is my goal for 2017 and progress to date:
    exercise.png

upcoming races:
    Volcano Rainforest Runs 10k 8/19
    BlockThe Sun Run 5k Oct 14 (https://walk.aimatmelanoma.org/Hilo2017) (physical and virtual options available)
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    01/06 3.26 miles
    06/06 3.76 miles
    07/06 3.77 miles
    12/06 3.79 miles

exercise.png

• vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date     Miles      MTD
    ------   -----    -------
    Jun 04     5.0        5.0
    Jun 05     3.6        8.6
    Jun 07     3.7       12.3
    Jun 09     3.6       15.9
    Jun 10     5.1W      21.0 Bare Cove
    Jun 11     5.1       26.1
    Jun 13     3.7       29.8

• ctlaws44
    ctlaws44 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    ctlaws44 wrote: »
    When coming up on people I like to yell "YHAA!!" (with the whip noise sounding in my head) like from the theme song for Rawhide. I like to imagine I'm herding people like cattle.

Now I want to go one better, buy a whip and DO this!!!

(And yeah, thanks for the dang-dalalang-dang-dang stuff in my head)

Haha! You're welcome. You can add it to your running playlist. It has a good tempo. Not kidding. :D