Respect in the gym

Options

Replies

• BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    That is why I work out in my home gym. I can work at my own pace.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I would just be annoyed at having to squeeze my workout in between someone else's set while they hog every machine.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Actions like this by women who are lifting is exactly why men groan when they see us heading to the free weight station.

Nah - we groan because it takes that much effort to stifle our woodies when we see women that aren't afraid of free weights.

:happy:
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    I would be a bit annoyed considering I would wait 45 minutes for you to be done with your circuit. Since you are doing circuit training, there is no point in using a squat rack as you are probably not lifting real heavy weight anyway. Grab a barbell or dumbells and go to a free area of the gym and use that area.
  • cst573
    cst573 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    re-read the OP regarding the use of bands. OP wasn't specific, but I'm guessing he was doing some power work where he attaches resistance bands to the bar or to his body for extra resistance at specific places in the lift. And if he's setting that up, he's not going to break it down between sets for someone else to work in. totally legit, imo.

Re: men saying stuff to women that they wouldn't say to men: I've had men tell me that I couldn't use a piece of equipment until they were finished and I've told other guys that they didn't get to use 3 stations at the same time, whether they were trying some giant set or super set or doing a circuit. i'll always try to accommodate but at a certain point my time is just as valuable as theirs. it's not a guy vs girl thing at all.

if anything, i'd bet the OP isn't used to proper gym etiquette because as a cute young girl she'll get a free pass in a spot where a guy would get cussed out.

Agreed. Many people in the gym today have no idea what gym etiquette is.
  • abbylg1983
    abbylg1983 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    You left the power cage to do another lift.

You're lucky he asked at all. In fact, it was probably more of "you know you're supposed to unload and wipe down the equipment after every use, right?"

True. Given the way OP says he too kept people from using the equipment while he himself was not using it, I'd say it was less about being polite and more of a passive aggressive swipe at OP for treating a public gym like its there for her private use.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    OP set woman in the free weight section back about ten years...bahahahahaha

Maybe in her gym, but sure as h3ll not in MY gym. When I am working in sets with the guy training to do Mr. South Carolina, no one looks at me like le petit fleur. Want respect? Earn it. Demand it. Pick up the big boy weights and sling them around the room. Works for me. :drinker:
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    re-read the OP regarding the use of bands. OP wasn't specific, but I'm guessing he was doing some power work where he attaches resistance bands to the bar or to his body for extra resistance at specific places in the lift. And if he's setting that up, he's not going to break it down between sets for someone else to work in. totally legit, imo.

Re: men saying stuff to women that they wouldn't say to men: I've had men tell me that I couldn't use a piece of equipment until they were finished and I've told other guys that they didn't get to use 3 stations at the same time, whether they were trying some giant set or super set or doing a circuit. i'll always try to accommodate but at a certain point my time is just as valuable as theirs. it's not a guy vs girl thing at all.

if anything, i'd bet the OP isn't used to proper gym etiquette because as a cute young girl she'll get a free pass in a spot where a guy would get cussed out.

Agreed. Many people in the gym today have no idea what gym etiquette is.

^^^This
  • abbylg1983
    abbylg1983 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    OP set woman in the free weight section back about ten years...bahahahahaha

Maybe in her gym, but sure as h3ll not in MY gym. When I am working in sets with the guy training to do Mr. South Carolina, no one looks at me like le petit fleur. Want respect? Earn it. Demand it. Pick up the big boy weights and sling them around the room. Works for me. :drinker:

I think the comment about setting women back didn't have anything to do with OP's fitness level or exercise routine. Rather it was regarding the fact that OP was practicing poor gym etiquette, and when called on it, immediately assumed she was being singled out because she's female vs being called out because she was in the wrong. You could put Mr. South Carolina to shame with your workout routine and still be an inconsiderate *kitten* that cries discrimination when called out on it.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    OK, that *kitten* was funny. Chill.
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Circuit training belongs somewhere other than a free weight room. I don't know where and I honestly don't care, but just not there. People are there to lift heavy weights and you don't do that jumping from station to station and interfering with other lifters.

I circuit train from time to time with free weights and typically with more than the average bro so your argument is irrelevant. To the OP it iswas extremely rude of him to do so at least you were doing squats not setting up bands and straps a total waste of squat cage realestate.

Thanks for the lolz.

If you look at upper-end power cages you will notice that they have pins for bands. It's a perfectly legitimate use of the equipment. Hogging several pieces of equipment while you jump from one to the other is not. No matter how big and strong you think you are it's still rude and you'd get corrected or thrown out of any legit weight room for doing so. Like other posters have pointed out, if you want to "circuit train" with free weights, then do more than one exercise at a single station.

He's exactly right. Anybody who says that setting up bands or chains in a power rack is a waste of real-estate CLEARLY has no idea what the hell they're talking about. Go back to your JM videos...

Actually there fellas, I use bands from time to time, they are a nice change of pace but I wouldn't dare interrupt or inhibit others from squating so that I can do band work, sorry that's like using a bench press to do ab work, get out of the way (Personally I think setting straps or bands makes much more sense in a smith machine, at least then it's a useful piece of equipment). There is a way to circuit train with free weights considerately, you just don't assume that piece of equipment belongs to you once you get up, so if you finish your bench rack it and move to squats well the bench is fair game and if it's time to go back to it on round 2 and it's taken you shuffle the order and do something else or politely ask if you can work in a set, it's pretty simple really. Everyone assumes equipment is being hogged but unless someone says get off my __ you are really just assuming.

ETA: I don't circuit train often probably twice a year for a couple of weeks to give the heavy lifting a break but I like the JM video assumption.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    My two cents... circuits are inherently inconsiderate in a public gym. More inconsiderate than a guy who ties up a machine, because at least he is focusing on one piece of equipment, and not five.

That said, OP seems like she was being as considerate as possible, which is cool, given the nature of her chosen protocol. Also, someone tying up any piece of equipment for more than maybe 15-20 minutes is ridiculous in a public gym.

Also, I doubt his additude was a result of you being a woman, although admittedly, if he was going to make an issue of it, he'd probably be more confident confronting a woman than a man.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options

(Personally I think setting straps or bands makes much more sense in a smith machine, at least then it's a useful piece of equipment).

No, just no. A smith machine squat is far different than a free weight squat and should not be intermingled.

Also, just to be clear, this is probably what is meant by setting up bands

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beTYTlPV6Mc

You can see where the guy in the video has tied off on the bottom of the rack, and connected to the bar.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    i wouldn't even consider doing a circuit of 5 stations at a public gym. seriously - who's taking up whose space here?
    unless you get a bunch friends to come along and you all switch at the same time :wink:
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options

(Personally I think setting straps or bands makes much more sense in a smith machine, at least then it's a useful piece of equipment).

No, just no. A smith machine squat is far different than a free weight squat and should not be intermingled.

You can see where the guy in the video has tied off on the bottom of the rack, and connected to the bar.

well that makes a little more sense, and I was being sarcastic about intermingling, personally i don't touch the smith machine.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I go to the 'Y.' I see more and more people coming in and doing circuits. I think at the gym, just like everywhere, we have to accommodate. You may think circuits are dumb; but people like them and believe they get something extra out of doing them. So, share. The OP did exactly the right thing, exactly what you are supposed to do in a gym. She said: Yeah, I'm coming back. But feel free to use the rack in between. We'll share.
    That's what you would do if there was one rack and some dude was doing 10 sets. You'd work in. Why is it any different because she is doing a circuit?
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options

well that makes a little more sense, and I was being sarcastic about intermingling, personally i don't touch the smith machine.

I use it, it is where I hang my towel, belt, knee wraps, chalk bag while I am texting my friends about getting swole.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I go to the 'Y.' I see more and more people coming in and doing circuits. I think at the gym, just like everywhere, we have to accommodate. You may think circuits are dumb; but people like them and believe they get something extra out of doing them. So, share. The OP did exactly the right thing, exactly what you are supposed to do in a gym. She said: Yeah, I'm coming back. But feel free to use the rack in between. We'll share.
    That's what you would do if there was one rack and some dude was doing 10 sets. You'd work in. Why is it any different because she is doing a circuit?

I used to go to the Y and they actually set us up on a circuit during the free fitness session. I'd say training, but they weren't trainers. So there were a ton of people doing a circuit, but never once did I ever see anyone save the machines in their circuit. Literally never. If someone was on the next machine in my circuit, I just moved on. I assume others did the same since no one ever said anything to me.

Not to say my experience is your experience, but that's why I was blown away. I've never even experienced anything like "saving" a piece of equipment unless someone was running to the bathroom or water fountain.
  • cspinelli712
    cspinelli712 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I had belonged to Shapes Fitness for women and they do have an area for circuit training. All the women are very repesctful of each other and do 2 or 3 sets on each machine and then moves to the next machine. I like they way they have it set up. I also like the fact this is a women's only center so everyone there fpr working out and I do see women on cell phones but they remove themselves from the machines and go set at the table in front of store so there is no hogging machines and making other people wait. I am renewing my membership there. No none-sense place.
  • nyrina4life
    nyrina4life Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Even though this thread is a couple days old, and has some serious mileage in replies, I do think you were pretty fair to him. I have had other girls who 'claim' an area let me use the equipment when they are resting or doing something else.

If I read your post correctly, it sounded as though he was goofing off instead of doing what needed to be done, and moving on. (it is possible I read it wrong, but...I know I have seen PLENTY of men and women who slump down on a set of equipment, and make it theirs for thirty - forty minutes, and spend 80% or more fiddling with their phones or flirting!)