Of refeeds and diet breaks

Options

Replies

• JoLightensUp
    JoLightensUp Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    ZoneFive wrote: »
    We're looking at insurance for our menagerie -- it's just recently been offered through my husband's employer. Two cats --
    one lady of a certain age (I go by her name here on MFP) and one large dim boy named Stanislaus who has no grasp of consequences and frequently shuts himself into small dark places where he cries piteously. Then two young dogs who recently joined the household. Thaddeus and Dinah will probably benefit the most from the insurance, but we'll cover the lot of them.

You have impressive pet names! I'm trying to imagine calling them all for dinner...or after a glass or two of alcohol lol!
    I think I may be even derailing the derail...
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    It's just as well I don't share office lab space, because I'm listening to Wham! quite loudly and bopping along (and possibly singing, which is really bad), cos NEAT :D
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    We're looking at insurance for our menagerie -- it's just recently been offered through my husband's employer. Two cats --
    one lady of a certain age (I go by her name here on MFP) and one large dim boy named Stanislaus who has no grasp of consequences and frequently shuts himself into small dark places where he cries piteously. Then two young dogs who recently joined the household. Thaddeus and Dinah will probably benefit the most from the insurance, but we'll cover the lot of them.

You have impressive pet names! I'm trying to imagine calling them all for dinner...or after a glass or two of alcohol lol!
    I think I may be even derailing the derail...

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing. ;)

ZoneFive is a shade of gray in a grayscale for black & white photographers. She's a gray and white tuxedo. Stanislaus is because he was a tiny unassuming kitten and needed an imposing name to live up to. And Thaddeus is actually General Thaddeus E. "Thunderbolt" Ross from The Incredible Hulk, while Dinah is Dinah Laurel Lance, AKA Black Canary. I'm a Marvel Comics girl and my husband's a DC Comics boy. Crossover household.
  • JoLightensUp
    JoLightensUp Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Anything worth doing is worth overdoing. ;)

ZoneFive is a shade of gray in a grayscale for black & white photographers. She's a gray and white tuxedo. Stanislaus is because he was a tiny unassuming kitten and needed an imposing name to live up to. And Thaddeus is actually General Thaddeus E. "Thunderbolt" Ross from The Incredible Hulk, while Dinah is Dinah Laurel Lance, AKA Black Canary. I'm a Marvel Comics girl and my husband's a DC Comics boy. Crossover household.

Haha love it! :D

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    This is day 6 of my diet break, and the scale has been holding steady for the last few days at about 4.2 lbs above the last deficit record. Since the scale made that 4 lb jump this weekend after starting the diet break, I think I can attribute that to water weight from extra carbs and some eating out. I'm keeping an eye on it; if it creeps up any more, I may drop another 100 calories off my maintenance to make sure I hold steady, but right now, it looks like my 2200 calories for maintenance (with that 200 calorie "fudge factor") is working!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Since the holidays are coming up I figured I should share some of the more interesting articles that are relevant to refeeds/diet breaks that correlate with .. well, if I'm going to be honest, absolute remorseless holiday indulgence... at least in my case lol

http://www.leangains.com/2010/11/cheat-day-strategies-for-hedonist.html
    and
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html

Lyle's version: https://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/10-tips-to-deal-with-holiday-weight-gain.html/

Shoutout to @psuLemon for reminding me about leangains strategies
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    anubis609 wrote: »
    Since the holidays are coming up I figured I should share some of the more interesting articles that are relevant to refeeds/diet breaks that correlate with .. well, if I'm going to be honest, absolute remorseless holiday indulgence... at least in my case lol

and

Lyle's version: https://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/10-tips-to-deal-with-holiday-weight-gain.html/

So if I drink vodka and soda, I can eat my bodyweight in protein cheesecake on Christmas day and be sweet, right?? :p

Jks, my day will be spent sitting on my deck/in the back garden in the sun, eating, drinking and making merry with my eldest niece, and not caring about calories in the least :)
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    To your first point.. yes, actually lol. Bonus points if you made your protein cheesecake with fat free Greek yogurt, non/lowfat cream cheese, non-nutritive sweetener of choice + peanut butter whey protein + powdered peanut butter, mixed it, chilled it, then drizzled sugar free chocolate syrup on top before serving.

Any guesses to what I'm making for dessert? Haha.

I have not yet made protein cheesecake, but I was thinking it might be on the menu that day (with a trial run prior). Sadly powdered peanut butter is not a thing here. May have to go with strawberry protein powder and use some carbs on real strawberries on top ;)
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

and

So if I drink vodka and soda, I can eat my bodyweight in protein cheesecake on Christmas day and be sweet, right?? :p

Jks, my day will be spent sitting on my deck/in the back garden in the sun, eating, drinking and making merry with my eldest niece, and not caring about calories in the least :)

Okay brilliant science people, I assume the comment above is referring to this part of the second link: "Alcohol is labeled as 7.1 calories per gram, but the real value is more along the lines of 5.7 calories due to the thermic effect of food (TEF) which is 20% of the ingested calories. This makes the TEF of alcohol a close second to protein (20-35% depending on amino acid composition)."

I've always assumed that calorie counts on nutrition labels at least attempted to take into account TEF. Is this not the case across the board? Or do different rules apply to alcohol calorie labeling? Or am I misreading this somehow?

Also, I hadn't heard of that Lean Gains website - so much to read!
  • anubis609
    Options

and

Okay brilliant science people, I assume the comment above is referring to this part of the second link: "Alcohol is labeled as 7.1 calories per gram, but the real value is more along the lines of 5.7 calories due to the thermic effect of food (TEF) which is 20% of the ingested calories. This makes the TEF of alcohol a close second to protein (20-35% depending on amino acid composition)."

I've always assumed that calorie counts on nutrition labels at least attempted to take into account TEF. Is this not the case across the board? Or do different rules apply to alcohol calorie labeling? Or am I misreading this somehow?

For the most part, macro calories were made in an attempt to predict the initial thermic effect after heat was applied in a calorimeter and adjusted for nitrogen loss, but metabolized nutrients undergo further processing by the body that can't be predicted or exactly calculated. Alcohol metabolism can't exactly be tested in lab on humans due to ethics; e.g. "we're gonna get you drinking X amount of alcohol/day and compare it to people who think they're drinking alcohol, but are just getting something else we told them was alcohol.. just sign here to waive your liver health" :D

Here's a long but enjoyable explanation, at least in the first part of the article: http://physiqonomics.com/calories/
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I tried protein cheesecake but I just cannot get on with the flavour of any artificial sweetener and I tried a few. I could tell it tasted really good but I'd want to sweeten it with real sugar and it sort of defeats the purpose (though admittedly would still keep the calorie count low comparatively, but I also don't know how it would interact with sweeteners in the protein powder). I also don't keep protein powder on hand anymore, not worth the calories for me vs solid food.

Anyhoo, Every year I take a diet break at Christmas. Last year was a two/three week free for all because I lost my boy cat mid-December which sucked balls. Usually I would track up to say 23rd of December having started break a few days or a week before. Eat freely for 3 days, which is really free because I generally am alone for Christmas so only one belly to fill with all the treats I overbuy, then track again at maintenance up to around the 1st. Then back to deficit. I am hoping this Christmas is the last one I need to be thinking about deficits. I am also spending the day of, or at least part of it, with friends this year. So I shall eat whatever is on offer but no booze till I get home because driving. I foresee as much buttered rum as I can find the calories to sacrifice for.

There's also a winter wonderland type thing happening in my local (very large) park this year. So food, "German" market, ice skating, funfair and all that good stuff. So there will be banana and Nutella crepes which are a British staple at these things.

The first year I gained two pounds of fat once all the water whooshed off. Last year, well, let's not talk about that! But it was knowingly done and I have undone that gain now.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Oh and also, I have no workplace so no workplace treats to navigate.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    I'm still optimistic about being at goal for Xmas, but I highly doubt that day will be maintenance cals, even if I drag my butt up the big hill in the morning before deck slothing begins.

You would think summer Xmas would make it easier calorie-wise, but nope. We are a British colony at heart, and as much as most people have ditched the big roast dinners for BBQs, there's still plenty of puddingy goodies that must be eaten. Yes, fruit mince pies, I am talking about you.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Oh and also, I have no workplace so no workplace treats to navigate.

I kind of do, but my own space, so easy to avoid. Don't even know if there will be a project Christmas party this year, because there is barely a handful of people left, cos road built, open, and humming along.
  • anubis609
    Options
    Here in the states, we get the gluttonous luxury of Thanksgiving > Christmas > New years.. the "trifecta" of confections. Just wedge a trip to Las Vegas right before Christmas, and there's my holiday trap.

Your winter wonderland sounds festive! I'll have you know that banana Nutella crepes is one of my favorite things ever. I imagine I'd be filling up on brats, sauerkraut, and crepes... and lager. Ha
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    edited November 2017
    Options
    To your first point.. yes, actually lol. Bonus points if you made your protein cheesecake with fat free Greek yogurt, non/lowfat cream cheese, non-nutritive sweetener of choice + peanut butter whey protein + powdered peanut butter, mixed it, chilled it, then drizzled sugar free chocolate syrup on top before serving.

Any guesses to what I'm making for dessert? Haha.

Ironically, theproteinchef.co has some good high protein low fat cheesecakes. I made the pumpkin one last week and loved it. Topped with cool whip and nutmeg... super yummy.

@GottaBurnEmAll knows what i am talking about.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm still optimistic about being at goal for Xmas, but I highly doubt that day will be maintenance cals, even if I drag my butt up the big hill in the morning before deck slothing begins.

You would think summer Xmas would make it easier calorie-wise, but nope. We are a British colony at heart, and as much as most people have ditched the big roast dinners for BBQs, there's still plenty of puddingy goodies that must be eaten. Yes, fruit mince pies, I am talking about you.

I would totally boycott Christmas if my family decided to do a barbeque... WTF??!!

We can have a barbie any day of the year. Christmas requires traditional Christmassy foods :smile: