Of refeeds and diet breaks

Options

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I wonder if you ladies correlate that with water retention and weight gain. I've noticed that my Fitbit resting HR lows and highs tend to correspond fairly closely with individual weigh ins and whether they are "local highs" or "local lows" relative to adjacent measurements.

Mine definitely correlates with fluid retention. Makes sense, because that also means increased blood volume (right?), hence your heart needs to work harder to pump that around. I'll take note of where mine's at on Monday after another day hike, when there should be no womanly hormonal issues in the mix.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Also, does anyone else get a double notification when Pav posts? Are there really two of you Pav??
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Also, does anyone else get a double notification when Pav posts? Are there really two of you Pav??

Nope, I get one notifcation
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely going to have to keep an eye on the HR thing. There is *definitely* some hypermetabolism nonsense going on right now -- although for the love of deity dropping the weight would be greatly appreciated -- considering I'm waking up soaked in sweat, and was able to run a 5K in 27F today with only a light hoodie and base layer, and my HR is *also* up, but I have no idea if it corresponds to cyclical stuff as well. I am definitely anovulatory at this point, but get ravenous pre/around that anovulatory cycle, so would not be heartbroken if there's an upshift as well...
  • maybyn
    maybyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I've been lurking but not posting. Each time I'm wanting to post, the thread's moved on to another subject!

How are you ladies able to monitor your cycles so well?? I get caught out with TOM each freaking time (think about to start long run and finding TOM's arrived without me having any supplies and no shops in sight cos we are at the start of a trail!!).
    Yeah, I have about a 15 beat variation. Peaks at ovulation and start of TOM, but also anytime I've got a decent amount of fluid retention going on. And anytime I'm really angsty.

Very interesting about the correlation with HR. I just did a quick scan through the last month's RHR and finding more than 20-25 beats variation. My peak high is a few days before TOM, then drops way back down to usual again with a peak low in the middle of the cycle.

I don't know whether there is any correlation with weight gain/fluid retention though (for the last month anyway). Maybe this is because I'm eating at a very, very small deficit?
  • maybyn
    Options
    I'm definitely going to have to keep an eye on the HR thing. There is *definitely* some hypermetabolism nonsense going on right now -- although for the love of deity dropping the weight would be greatly appreciated -- considering I'm waking up soaked in sweat, and was able to run a 5K in 27F today with only a light hoodie and base layer, and my HR is *also* up, but I have no idea if it corresponds to cyclical stuff as well. I am definitely anovulatory at this point, but get ravenous pre/around that anovulatory cycle, so would not be heartbroken if there's an upshift as well...

It's not also perimenopause, is it? One of the symptoms is night sweats too.

(Night sweats can be due to many things though. Brings back lots of bad memories for me!)
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    maybyn wrote: »
    How are you ladies able to monitor your cycles so well?? I get caught out with TOM each freaking time (think about to start long run and finding TOM's arrived without me having any supplies and no shops in sight cos we are at the start of a trail!!).

I don't know if this will change for me. I have had a pretty easy time knowing it was coming because I would get 5 minutes of cramps in the morning and later that day it would arrive.

I have not paid attention to fluid retention and HR - I will have to keep an eye on that.

@collectingblues The night sweats are the worst symptom that I have had so far. It is truly awful!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    @maybyn I use a period tracker app. It tells you when you're ovulating too.
  • collectingblues
    Options

(Night sweats can be due to many things though. Brings back lots of bad memories for me!)

I'm only 38! It best not be!
  • maybyn
    Options
    @Christine_72, interesting, never thought to use an app at all.

@bioklutz, I have not gotten cramps since my 20's. I'm also of an age (46) where I need to watch out for perimenopause but don't think I've got any symptoms yet. I also don't feel any different?!!

@collectingblues, yeah too young though I've heard anecdotes about some women experiencing symptoms that early. Hope things resolve for you soon. Are you getting any thyroid meds to regulate your hormones?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I've been lurking but not posting. Each time I'm wanting to post, the thread's moved on to another subject!

Yeah, I have about a 15 beat variation. Peaks at ovulation and start of TOM, but also anytime I've got a decent amount of fluid retention going on. And anytime I'm really angsty.

Very interesting about the correlation with HR. I just did a quick scan through the last month's RHR and finding more than 20-25 beats variation. My peak high is a few days before TOM, then drops way back down to usual again with a peak low in the middle of the cycle.

I don't know whether there is any correlation with weight gain/fluid retention though (for the last month anyway). Maybe this is because I'm eating at a very, very small deficit?

I haven't noticed anything with water retention but then in theory with the scale apparently immovable I could be retaining a boatload in which case my heartrate is already running high and has been since I got my new watch with OHR..........I live in hope!

But also, I can monitor my period because I'm on the pill but I have also been regular as clockwork from my very first period and there has also always been a bimonthly pattern.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

I'd be kind of delighted to have early menopause, I have no intention of reproducing so they're just an annoyance!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Peri, unfortunately for some women, can drag on for years.

It did for me. We were trying to conceive and not having success so I was tested at 30 and found to be perimenopausal then. My periods were okay at that point, but by the time I was 38? I was definitely having symptoms like hot flashes and weird cycles. Still managed to get pregnant again while that was going on, though.

I didn't stop having periods until I was 51.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options

@maybyn I'm more like you. I don't get caught out places because 1. I'm a homebody and don't venture far lol and 2. I have items stashed everywhere just in case. It's gotten better, but ever since I had my third child I'm all over the place. Late. Early. Stable. Out of control. Feel fine. Lots of pain. Never know what to expect.

My mom is 54 and still gets her cycle, I believe (not really a topic I want to discuss with her). I'm 31 so many years to go.
  • collectingblues
    Options
    @Christine_72, interesting, never thought to use an app at all.

@bioklutz, I have not gotten cramps since my 20's. I'm also of an age (46) where I need to watch out for perimenopause but don't think I've got any symptoms yet. I also don't feel any different?!!

@collectingblues, yeah too young though I've heard anecdotes about some women experiencing symptoms that early. Hope things resolve for you soon. Are you getting any thyroid meds to regulate your hormones?

Yup -- I'm well-controled with synthroid. TSH/T3/T4 are all completely normal, both within range, and within what I usually run. There are some female triad things at play, so right now, this is all supposedly "normal" for me/the recovery process.

But -- for apps, if you're looking for one, I use Clue. It's generally accurate within a couple of days for me.
  • collectingblues
    Options

Peri, unfortunately for some women, can drag on for years.

It did for me. We were trying to conceive and not having success so I was tested at 30 and found to be perimenopausal then. My periods were okay at that point, but by the time I was 38? I was definitely having symptoms like hot flashes and weird cycles. Still managed to get pregnant again while that was going on, though.

I didn't stop having periods until I was 51.

We did labs about a year ago, when things started getting weird, and all were completely in range for a non-peri/non-menopausal woman. At this point, the suspicion is that it's all female triad related. The overheating at night *supposedly* is part of metabolism restoration -- which would also be on par with what we saw before with my RMR being higher than predicted. And on par with the sudden "Oh, I don't need eleventy-million layers to run in freezing weather" thing.

I guess for now, I just ride it out...
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I'd be kind of delighted to have early menopause, I have no intention of reproducing so they're just an annoyance!

It's me!
  • eponine1984
    eponine1984 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    In the hopes of getting more/better tracking of calories and burn, I'm looking for input into a heart rate monitor/fitness tracker. Anyone have any input on what you love or hate about yours? There are some good deals on Fitbits today, but I really have no idea what I'm looking for.

Diet break continues strong. Yesterday I ate all the food and drank all the wine.