WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR NOVEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    All my thoughts just got taken away from me. Well I was saying how much I liked kArens and Wendy's hair. Terry is rocking wonderland,

I took my first new B/P pill this morning. Glad I didn't have the common side effect of headache. This afternoon my reading was 133/76! Now if I can just maintain that. Maybe it was this drug classification I needed all along and he can take me off one of my other medicines, I just hate it that i have to take 6 different medicines to maintain a decent level.

Did you all see the final of the tournament of champions on jeapodry today??? Loved it. I think this tournament has been the most fun. Even Alex Trebeck looked like he was a bit looser! I hope those three guys don't get together and go out on the town. Who knows what would happen.

I feel so proud of myself. I signed myself up for PayPal and actually bought some ornaments from JanetR. This was a big thing for me. But it was seamless. I may have to go back to her site and see if ere are anymore. I may just decorate a whole tree with them! Anyone else make anything I can put on it. Last year at Christmas my sister who was and always will be a preschool teacher, bought clear ornament and this to put in them, stick on the outside, ribbons, whatever. So that is what we decorated the tree with at our Christmas gathering. It was a great babysitter also. We have a new baby his year so we have to get something for her. Her Mom and Dad will help. My sis wants foot prints and handprints.

I sent off our shoeboxes for Operation Chipristmas Child today. The distribution site for us is Denver so they will more than likely go to Mexico or an Indian reservation. I would like the latter. When my daughter worked at the Grand Canyon for a summer, her room mate was full blooded Hopi I think. She was able to spend a lot of weekends with her family. She got real used to using a outhouse! So it would be nice knowing my box would be going to one of those little girls.

Did I talk about Project Runway? Did you approve ode winner. Dancing with the stars finale is next week. I'm glad Survivor has a while yet although hey made the first member of the jury Wednesday night.

Joyce, Indiana
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Joyce, I had to bid each one farewell as I wrapped and boxed them up, I just love them all so much. Enjoy :)

Janetr OKC
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    I am up and having a cup of tea
    My attorney sent the proposal over to Toms attorney and she in turn sent it to him.. im sure he is probably steaming .. it isnt pretty for his side.. but oh well. he will be going to see his attorney after work money and I am sure it will go back and forth for a bit,but not gonna budge much thats for sure..
    Lenora~ geesh find out what is going on and keep us in the loop please
    Becca~ hope your feeling better..I had vertigo and nausea for a long time as I had cronic tonsilitis(sp) ear infections as an adult and getting my tonsils out at 30 was not a picnic,lost 13 lbs in a week.. but haven't had any problems since.. good luck and keep us informed
    I undated my computer and think I lost Lisa's blog can someone pm me and give me the link again? I would aprreciate it
    I am working 7:30-1 today and then coming home and making deviled eggs for tomorrow..
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,363 Member
    Options
    Karen - I just have the basic 6 qt Duo 7. That's fine for me. Some people love the Ultra. Anyone, like Michelle, who is thinking of purchasing a Black Friday Instant Pot, please make sure it is exactly the model you want. I gave seen some LUX on cheap sale, but they are an old and cheap model. Please check with the website to ascertain which one you want. Amazon is helpful too for reading reviews etc. There are many different kinds.

Katla - it is perfectly possible to make the egg bites if you are lactose intolerant. Some people use coconut cream or soy cream. You can use yoghurt cheese made from lactose free milk in stead of cottage cheese. A favourite yoghourt on FB is cold start made with Fairlife milk. I think it would be a little bland for me, but it is popular. If you strain it you get something resembling yoghurt cheese (labneh) . I use the boil method, and make both strained and untrained yoghurt. I get through loads of the cheese. DH is having the last one for his lunch today, heated in the microwave. They were a stunning success. People seem to make large batches and have them during the week for a quick breakfast. :o:)
    You will have to wrest the Pot away from your DH and try some experiments. I really enjoy some of the weirder things you can do, like sprouting beans and rising bread. Have you made hard boiled eggs yet? The shells just slip off. No more cursing!

For lunch I'm having Won Tun Soup. :D<3 From the Chinese supermarket. Plus lots of veg and seaweed.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,193 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Saturday -- My husband and I cycled our November Century! We have designed numerous routes in northern Tasmania and the longest route is our 600K randonnee called Hint of Hadspen Hike.

Because we wanted to check various parts of the Hint of Hadspen Hike before we ran the event, we decided to create three shorter routes out of the sections of the Hint of Hadspen Hike. So the Hint of Hadspen Hike I, II and III were created.

Today's ride was the Hint of Hadspen Hike I. It is a beautiful out-and-back ride, mostly along the north coast of Tasmania ... ocean vistas and roaring waves most of the day! :) But both times we've ridden it, the wind has been a challenge. And there are some challenging little climbs as well ... no Mt Wellington or anything but a few steep pinches.

We're a little out of shape this month, and I'm recovering from dental surgery. My stitches are out now, and it's healing well, but in addition to the aches and pains of being out of shape, my jaw is sore!!

Nevertheless, we made it! :)

Distance: 162.3km
    Elevation: 1,477m
    Moving Time: 8:27:21
    Elapsed Time: 9:58:21
    Speed: Avg: 19.2 km/h | Max: 47.5 km/h

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Machka – how old are the nieces? I’m always trying to come up with ideas too

The oldest one is 12 or 13 ... the youngest is 3 or 4. There are 3 of them, and one nephew who is about 9.

We haven't seen them since 2012, and the youngest wasn't born then!

So it is difficult to come up ideas when we don't really know what they like this year.

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    As far as groups vs. clubs -- my "concern" is if I post something like "we're leaving for xxx tomorrow and will be gone a week", you're right, M, in that it's out there for everyone to see. That's like telling someone "no one will be home so it'll be ok to rob the house" but at the same time I really like the feel of the way it is now. Is there some way to circumvent that? I know that if someone doesn't check in every few days, I get concerned. I love all the wonderful ideas

Simply don't post: "we're leaving for xxx tomorrow and will be gone a week".

I don't post that information on any forums, or on Facebook, or anywhere. I don't even say much to coworkers.

When I get back, then I post: "we're back from xxx and we had a lovely week".

M in Oz

• langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Did a step aerobics DVD today. The plan for tomorrow is to do a 10 pounds down DVD.

I wonder if any of the forums rules apply to my offering DVD's for the price of the shipping? I'm not making a profit. I don't think so. Oh, BTW, I still have the "Lift Weights to Lose Weight" DVD if anyone is interested. Postage is usually a little less than $3. Just PM me if you are interested.

janetr - why are you afraid you'd get in trouble? For what?

Wendy - glad you had such a wonderful time. Thanks for posting those pics. There is no way on this green earth that I'd ever wear a two piece. I hand it to you. Then again, with your figure, you can get away with it. Welcome back!

Ordered chocolate peeps for Vince for Christmas and his Grumpy Cat desk calendar. Hey, with my points, the calendar was free!

Jess told me last night that we're not going to her friend's house for T-day when we get to VA like we did last year. Wish she had checked with the friend before she told me that we were to go. I had things bought for the stuffing that I was going to take up, I have to return them now, I made cookies, but I'll probably just take them up to Jess'. This is such a pain, to have to return things.

I really need to get my hair cut, just don't know when I can get it done. I would like to get it cut before T-day, but I'm not sure that can happen.

Great job Terry!!!! Doing a happy dance for you

Heather - yuk!!!!

As far as groups vs. clubs -- my "concern" is if I post something like "we're leaving for xxx tomorrow and will be gone a week", you're right, M, in that it's out there for everyone to see. That's like telling someone "no one will be home so it'll be ok to rob the house" but at the same time I really like the feel of the way it is now. Is there some way to circumvent that? I know that if someone doesn't check in every few days, I get concerned. I love all the wonderful ideas

Someone posted about the good price that WalMart was having on the IP on Black Friday. What was the price? Hope they'll offer it online.

NYKaren - great haircut!

Lenora - oh, dear, four seizures. Do you know what triggers them?

Exercised, went to Aldi since my shopping list for there was getting quite long. Returned things at Ollies that I'd bought to make things to take to a friend of Jess' who Jess told me we were going to their house after we came up on T day but now tells me that they're going out of the country. Went to Food Lion to exchange some of the spaghetti I got for noodles for the mac & cheese I'll take to Jess. Helped Vince put up the arches for Christmas. Had dinner then went to Lowes Hardware since Vince wanted this certain cotton "snow" for downstairs, then to WalMart for only 3 thnigs, then Sam's since Vince wanted batteries and I wanted to look for spanakopita. They had it, and I also saw some crab rangoon and some brea bites that I got thinking I can use them for Christmas Eve.

Michele in NC

Chocolate peeps? My mom and I were the only ones in the family that liked peeps. Every Easter we would get yellow ones. Had to be yellow. We always laughed about it and how they had to be yellow even though there was no difference in taste. I’ve carried on the tradition and I feel close to my mom when I do. We would of course eat the whole package in one sitting as they get hard quickly (that was the excuse we used anyway). We would joke that they were “fat free “ so okay to have. Miss her so much.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    Barbieoooh where on Whidbey island? My son lives in Oak Harbor, probably too far up, just yell out the window k? Haha! Enjoy the island life!
    Becca
    Oregon

:) I mentioned Whidbey Island especially for you because I knew you'd appreciate where we're going. The ferry lands at Coupeville and we have an hour's drive from the ferry to Anacortes. The drive will take us through Oak Harbor. If you were already living there we could have waved to each other.
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    langman22 wrote: »
    skuehn48 wrote: »
    Hello ladies: Got groceries bought this morning and the market was really crowded. The doctor put me on an old antibiotic for the Eustachian tube infection and the pills are huge. I could not swallow it without breaking it in half. Missed my water exercise this morning because of running errands so will do a tape at home today. Eating lots of yogurt to try to avoid yeast infection due to antibiotic.

Terry - So proud of you making it to onederland! I am at 204 right now and it seems those few pounds to lose to get below 200 are just horrendous.

Wendy - Love the hairdo and the pictures. Glad the critters survived without you but bet they are happy you are back.

Becca - Sending healing angels to you. Hope you feel better soon.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA

Can’t wait for you to join me in “onederland”! Yes those last few lbs to get there are so stubborn. Hang in there, you’ll make it. I’ll be scared to get on the scales tomorrow. I’m afraid it was all a dream. Lol

Yeah! It wasn’t a dream!

Sue, you go girl! You are so close to “onederland”. The more the merrier.
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Morning lovely ladies, what would I do without your kind words of support??

Tis the season to remember how very grateful I am for wisdom, Accountability and kindness from all the women on this forum.

Rori so glad the new care helper is kind and cooks! Also having fridays off would be like a dream, enjoy it. Hope we can see each other in February.

NYKAREN
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,363 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    The reheated egg bite was perfect. :D
    I'm going to make two more this afternoon and freeze them as a test run. If they survive ok it would be a great entertaining breakfast - microwaved from thawed in thirty seconds. :o

DH said my Won Tun Soup with seaweed and shiritaki noodles looked like the contents of a rock pool. :laugh: It was delicious!

Lenora - Please let us know how you are. Sending best wishes. <3<3<3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Heather - There's nothing I love more than gazing deep into a rock pool and admiring the contents.

Yay Terry :flowerforyou:

Lenora - Take care!

Rori - Good to hear you may have found a new caregiver. It's so important to have someone who functions well with both the person being cared for and his/her family.

I'm suffering a bit of brain fog after a couple of tumultous weeks. Hubby and I aren't planning on going anywhere for some time now. It will be heavenly just to chill.

/Penny at the t07190.gif – a really good place to chill

• spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    WENDY love your photos, so glad the animals were ok
    TERRY congrats on the loss

I'm back from DDs, we have no heat or hot water as boiler has died, DH and BIL working on it at the moment. Think it might mean a new boiler as parts have cost over £140 up to now and we can buy a new one for £500 but fingers crossed

I also vote to keep this thread open.

DD is going through menopause, hot flushes etc, Dr has put her on HRT patches but she doesn't think they are doing much good. She is mostly vegetarian so eating less meat's not an option. I told her to ask Dr for DEXA scan to check bone density and to get out her weights and do some strength training.

So proud of my DGD she has EDS and suffers a lot of pain and sometimes needs her wheelchair. She is only 16 and is often exhausted and depressed. She was homeschooled and has started FE College to gain some qualifications, I was doubtful she would keep it up but she has and I'm so glad and told her how proud I am

Need to go see if the 'boys' are any nearer to fixing the boiler

Kate UK <3
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    B)
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    SueBDew - I haven't been able to comment on newsfeed for about two weeks now and I sent a message to MFP but no response.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,428 Member
    Options
    Heather - first, that wasp/hornet nest is spectacular! We had 2 in our maple tree (which we walked by dozens of times a day). Ours were bald faced hornets - reportedly the meaner variety but thankfully never bothered us. Sadly, the IP is sitting on the shelf - will find some recipes and get it going again now that the weather is cold. The recipe for "Starbucks" egg bites looks great!

Lenora - we are waiting for the report on your seizures! Hope they are over and you are recovering OK.

Allie
    - sounds like you are one step closer to getting the divorce finalized. What popped out at me with Tom taking money from this 401K are the taxes and potential liability if enough wasn't withheld. Hoping he had plenty withheld when he took the money out. My DH never thinks of that stuff but then I'm the money manager and tax preparer at our house.

Wendy
    - welcome back to the real world, lol. Your cornrows/braids are so cute! You looked like a teenager on the beach and in front of that waterfall. B) Glad your animals made it - bet they missed you!! So nice you and DH had the opportunity to get away.

Penny
    - I was thrilled to hear Mike is still hanging around. What a pain in the tush with the electric company, especially since it's not a 5 minute drive to go check on it. But a good excuse to see more of your beautiful countryside!

Joyce - good news on the BP front for you, glad the new meds are helping. Can't wait to see a photo of your tree with Janetr's ornaments!

Kate - sorry to hear about the boiler. Hope the guys get it fixed soon. Our heat pump always used to die right before a big freeze or a big hot spell. It was always some fiddly little wire that came loose or a computer part they had to special order. $$$ That's one reason we decided to put in a little woodstove - so far the air quality dudes haven't cracked down on them. Good for you telling your DD about strength training for the bones!

Becca - how are you doing today?

Barbie - should be a good day for the ferry! Enjoy the drive on Whidbey!

So with all of you with the cute haircuts and color and braids.... I took a good look at my "mop" a couple days ago after being out in the rain. My hair is naturally curly..... it was total frizz on the top, and I noticed a LOT of damage from the Velcro curlers. To top it off, when we emptied the vacuum cleaner canister, it was full of my hair!! :'( I always used plenty of break fix, let it "air dry" and tried to be gentle, wear a hat, etc., but it's still ends up coarse and fragile.

I called the gal who used to cut it for me when I had it short, she said she'd call me back and didn't. Then I messaged a sweet gal who works at the gym part time (Kennedy) and opened her own salon.... never heard anything back from her either.

So yesterday morning, I took the dogs over to the groomer in a nearby town, and there was a salon right next to the groomer. I stuck my head in and made an appointment with HER since I didn't hear back from anyone.

Of course, Kennedy messages me back late yesterday afternoon-- I told her sorry, I ended up making another appointment.

All I want is some layers and evening up from the curler damage so I hope she doesn't get scissor happy. I have been cutting it myself for the past year, trimming the ends and it's very forgiving with the curls but don't think I want to tackle the layering. HHmmm.... if I get bored, I might tackle it.

I could have worse problems!

I'm reading a fascinating book.... it is called "Last Hope Island" by Lynne Olson. It's a history book about WWII and how a lot of monarchs/royalty left their "neutral" countries and headed to England when Hitler's troops started invading. Plus good background on what happened after WWI that led up to WWII. It is slow reading as I'm savoring every word. The author must have done an amazing amount of research.

When the dogs were gone yesterday for 2 hours, we did a massive housecleaning - I dusted and tidied up. DH vacuumed the whole house, then he went out and raked leaves and his back is killing him today :(

Looks like there's a slight chance I might go back to working PT at the county again. Will talk with my boss from the Auditor's office this week ... found out 2 gals there are having babies about the same time so they may need someone while they are on maternity leave this spring. And, there's a chance another department might need someone to take over scanning a few hours a week if another employee is successful at going part-time. So we'll see.

OK- time to get the shoes on and inspect the neighborhood, lol.

Have a great weekend!

Lanette
    Clear and chilly SW WA State
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,096 Member
    Options
    Joyce I loved all the collections this year. I do think it was a tough choice. I do think they got it right. When they said his collection was honored with a quiet hush I knew. It is like when we sing a particularly meaningful song and rather than applaud we are met with a stillness that speaks volumes. To me his was that most artistic. His personality just sparkled too.

We just sang such a song titled I Believe the words were taken off the wall at Auschwitz:

I believe in the sun even when it is not shining.
    I believe in love even when I don't feel it.
    I believe in God even when he is silent.
    I believe in love even when I don't feel it.

We got inspiring feed back from the Congregation. They did applaud and I wish they had not because for me it was that kind of song that is more prayer than a song. I still sing the song in my head almost everyday.

I think these words do hit a nerve for our times too.

To remember what is truly important in our lives love and healing being at the top of the list.

:heart: Margaret
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Lanette when he took it out lately he can take out with no penalty.when we did the kitchen he was able to borrow against it and put it back in.