WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2018

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,178 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Machka: I love the links about the benefits of cycling. I am so glad you shared. DH & I used to cycle, & even bought terra trikes when his balance started to be problematic. It was beneficial, but eventually the MS was too much for him to continue. :sad: I regularly ride a stationary bike in the gym and take yoga classes. Both use big muscles & sustained effort. They are very beneficial for me. I think "horse therapy" is beneficial, too, since riding also requires a lot of big muscle effort and balance control. I support any active recreation that is fun and gets us to move more.

I encourage everyone to find something active that is fun for them—dance, yoga, ride bikes or horses, use exercise machines, roller skate, swim--
    Do the hokey pokey and turn yourself around . . . Thats what its all about. :bigsmile: :wink:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." - Arthur Ashe

I agree ... and I like this quote from the first article ...

Steve Harridge, co-author and professor of physiology at King's College London, said: "Being sedentary goes against evolution because humans are designed to be physically active.

"You don't need to be a competitive athlete to reap the benefits - or be an endurance cyclist - anything which gets you moving and a little bit out of puff will help."

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-43308729
    How exercise in old age prevents the immune system from declining

Machka in Oz
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,423 Member
    Options
    Machka - thank you for those exercise links! Very informative and great reminders!! Happy Birthday! <3

Katla - thank you for that Scotch Broom info. Yes, in WA State it is definitely in the Class B Invasive Species category. I wasn't aware there were seed weevils that might help destroy it. Hopefully the little buggers will stay on the Scotch Broom and not move into the garden. I really despise the commercial herbicides so it would be great to get something natural to keep it in check. When we had a teensy farm in Issaquah east of Seattle many years ago, the pasture was full of scotch broom. We put goats there who did a fabulous job of cleaning it right up.

Becca - Lasagna noodles dipped in sauce sounds might fine ;-)

Hope to get time to go back and catch up on the pages I skip. I see puppy dog pictures B)<3

Lanette
    Rainy SW WA State... 70 and sunshine predicted next Monday!
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,887 Member
    Options
    :)
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Oooh my lasagna was beautiful! I always use a lot of shortening on the pan itself, so the lasagna doesn't fuse in the pan!
    Ooh my fish beeped!
    Becca
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,710 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

bike ride hm 2 gym- 7.34min, 143mhr, 11.9amph. 1.5mi= 92c
    apple watch- 70c
    jog- 50min, 139ahr, 155mhr, 4.5-7sp, 9.52min mi, 5mi= 494c
    apple watch- 522c
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 5.36min, 15.9amph, 140mhr, 1.4mi= 73c
    apple watch- 53c
    Bike ride puy 2 sumn sta- 15.47min, 11.5amph, 147mhr, 3mi= 161c
    apple watch- 112c
    jog sta 2 wk- 5.07min, 9.47min mi, 155mhr .5mi= 79c
    apple watch- 60c
    jog wk 2 sta- 4.38min, 17mph winds, 10.24min mi, 166mhr, .4mi= 63c
    apple watch- 52c
    bike ride dome 2 hm- 21.42min, 7.2amph, 20mph WINDS, 147mhr,2.5mi= 205c
    apple watch- 142c

total cal 1167
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Joyce - so sorry to hear of your problems.

Michele in NC
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    <3:)