WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2018

Replies

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,695 Member
    Hi Gals,

Lisa – laughed at the sausage metaphor !!! excellent

Heather – was so happy to hear of the positive response from DOS and then the DDIL response and I danced a little jig for you! What a great day!

Felicia - I only know a tiny bit about SAD (more about general depression) but if your son and DH are dealing with SAD and are both living at your place, could you replace light blubs with the full spectrum one that are supposed to help? You wouldn’t even need to announce it just do it and see if it helps at all…. I think Katla deals with SAD, she may have more insight than I do.

Terry – Happy Days!!!!

Smiles

Kim from N. California
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,650 Member
    edited April 2018
    GodMomKim wrote: »

Felicia - I only know a tiny bit about SAD (more about general depression) but if your son and DH are dealing with SAD and are both living at your place, could you replace light blubs with the full spectrum one that are supposed to help? You wouldn’t even need to announce it just do it and see if it helps at all…. I think Katla deals with SAD, she may have more insight than I do.

That's not a bad idea. My DH is fine, well as much as any of us are fine. :smirk: My dad is the one who suffered with depression during the last decade or two of his life.

I think light, exercise, and better eating habits, all would improve his mood. But it's hard for him to get up and do things, so he spends a lot of time in his dark room in bed then roams around the house at night.

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,061 Member
  • lilnoramitchellandre
    lilnoramitchellandre Posts: 144 Member
    Terry and Allie - We refinanced our house to a much lower interest when it went way down, and number of years, although they wouldn't refinance it for 10 (if they had we'd be nearly paid off; but, at least it is below what our life insurance is. By doing so we saved roughly $45K. Don't regret doing it at all. Now we are so close to paying it off I feel like I would be able to pay for my living expenses with my SS and Retirement. My SS would increase by the difference of his versus mine. Otherwise, I will either deeding the land to my sons (after paying it off) and rent a condo somewhere - preferably in a gated community. Not sure where at this point. Might even consider moving to Macon. Then I would be closer to where I grew up and near friends and in the same town my PsycheMD is located. Finding other MDs would not be nearly as difficult. But, they would be something to consider about moving to the beach, too.

Paying off the house versus keeping the money invested needs to be something that only a finance advisor should give (after looking in to how much you have invested, how much your house mortgage is, and working out a balance in keeping with your income). One thing you need to take into consideration if the interest deduction you get on your house on your 1040 every year (but, the interest on money in as investment might not be considered ... I can't remember, if you take money out of your investment). I think money that goes into an investment has already been taxed if coming from an existing 401K or through an inheritance; and, if you had invested it and made interest off it; I think if you took it out you'd only have to pay taxes on the interest that would be considered income. But, don't take it from me; it has been a couple of years since we took much money out of our investment; but, took it out to pay off high interest credit cards. My CareCredit account had interest of 29.99% - that really is 'mobster' level. When we paid off our debt the only one we did not pay off was the one that Louis uses for his business. Since it is in his name only, I don't think they can hold me responsible for it in the event he passes away before I do. They'd be on the bottom of the list of things to pay for such as a funeral and his last illness, if he had to have long-term care. They'll just be SOL. I'll pay off the mortgage, my car (if not already paid off), and his last expenses including his funeral. Then I will put the rest back with the financial company I use. Whether or not I pull the interest earned (monthly or quarter or roll it over to buy more stocks and bonds)) will depend on my expenses. I have a reasonably low life insurance policy; but, I don't know if it has any cash value. I might check into it, I'd rather have it 'working for me' instead of something I have to pay for. It's term and now will (over the next 14 months) reduce down to 1/4th of the face value. But, that's be more than enough to bury me. I plan to be cremated anyway. But, all this is something I don't need to concern myself about. I could pass away before he does anyway.

But, I've never gone through a divorce. Was TomCat ordered to keep a life insurance policy in full force to pay alimony if he were to drop dead tomorrow? So many decisions and things to consider. Start writing down any questions you have, that will help a lot when you go to see the financial advisor (1st trip); next would be to go to an attorney to draw up a Will.

Lenora
  • LodiLooWho64
    LodiLooWho64 Posts: 7 Member
    New here. What a great group. Barbie, is that a poodle or a doodle poodled? Beautiful!
  • LodiLooWho64
    LodiLooWho64 Posts: 7 Member
    April Goals

Enjoy every bite slowly
    Lose 6 pounds
    Only one rest day from exercise per week
    Mix it up....Hula Hoop, walk, swim, bike, free weights
    Try 3 new recipes or more
    keep it simple
    No more elevators, taking the stairs.
    Increase my lunges and pushups from 30 to 40 twice a week.

Here we go.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Afternoon gals. I have a dilate eye exam in half an hour so trying to do this before going.

Heather, it's coming than end now! And then you have to get it published. Will you self publish it like you did your other books?

We paid off our house years ago and it was a good feeling. A really good feeling. As you know, we did our funeral planning the other day and purchased it all. Well you don't really purchase. It is on a ten year plan and they say it is better that you pay it off in one year. I think they actually call it a life insurance policy. We have one retirement policy that really does no growth, it is a gauranteed death benefit. So we are thinking of pulling that money out and paying off these burial plans. But the interest rate is terrible.

Joyce, indinana
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Joyce, When I have my eyes dilated the use a machine now. It does not enlarge the pupils and cause vision problems for the rest of the day. The insurance won't cover the cost of the machine but it only costs me about $35 and well worth it.

Janetr OKC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Felicia: I hope the ex girlfriend is willing to send your son's guitar. I agree with you that it might improve his outlook on life. They say that music soothes the soul and that seems like it would apply to both musicians and listeners, but music is an essential part of a musician and more important to them. Good luck. :heart:

Allie: You're doing a great job working with your brother on your dad's estate. WTG!!! :flowerforyou:

DH has been to the doctor with digestive issues. The doctor put him on the FODMAP Diet and he is feeling better. We are learning a bunch. Products containing gluten have been kicked off the island, so we're adjusting things every meal. So far he is feeling so much better & the change over it is well worth the trouble. We've found gluten free bread and rice based noodles that are tasty and easily substitute for the conventional bread and noodles. I'm still eating regular bread while he eats the gluten free version, but soups and stews are now gluten free. As near as I can tell, a gluten free diet is not necessarily lower in calories. Some of the substitutions are a bit higher in calories than our old standby choices. Salads are a challenge, too, between dressings & ingredients. He needs head lettuce only & I like romaine so we now have two salads. We make a homemade dressing that is okay for both of us but his beloved blue cheese dressing is now in his past. He clearly feels better and this is a very good thing. Are any of you familiar with FODMAP? Advice is welcome.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"It is not selfish to be happy. It is your highest purpose. Your joy is the greatest contribution you can make to life on the planet. A heart at peace with its owner blesses everyone it touches." ~ Alan Cohen

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,994 Member
    Lenora ,yes he has a life insurance policy and has to keep it up to date..and when he retires he needs to keep it if it costs less than 750.00 a year..
    I will be getting most of his 401k and 50,000 in cash.but am still renting here want to purchase this condo .but with what I make and alimony still won't cover the bills.so looking for part time work .Kim suggested odd jobs so have put that out on a secure social media outlet...
    I pulled a muscle in my shoulder blade area and having issues .so laying low the rest of the day..will see if I have any Flexeril left.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 4,194 Member
    o:)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,132 Member
    edited April 2018
    lodiloowho My dog in the picture is a Standard Poodle. My other dog is of very mixed ancestry. My daily dog walking is two to three hours
    <3 Barbie from beautiful NW Washington
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,061 Member
  • OregonMother
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Felicia: I hope the ex girlfriend is willing to send your son's guitar. I agree with you that it might improve his outlook on life. They say that music soothes the soul and that seems like it would apply to both musicians and listeners, but music is an essential part of a musician and more important to them. Good luck. :heart:

Allie: You're doing a great job working with your brother on your dad's estate. WTG!!! :flowerforyou:

DH has been to the doctor with digestive issues. The doctor put him on the FODMAP Diet and he is feeling better. We are learning a bunch. Products containing gluten have been kicked off the island, so we're adjusting things every meal. So far he is feeling so much better & the change over it is well worth the trouble. We've found gluten free bread and rice based noodles that are tasty and easily substitute for the conventional bread and noodles. I'm still eating regular bread while he eats the gluten free version, but soups and stews are now gluten free. As near as I can tell, a gluten free diet is not necessarily lower in calories. Some of the substitutions are a bit higher in calories than our old standby choices. Salads are a challenge, too, between dressings & ingredients. He needs head lettuce only & I like romaine so we now have two salads. We make a homemade dressing that is okay for both of us but his beloved blue cheese dressing is now in his past. He clearly feels better and this is a very good thing. Are any of you familiar with FODMAP? Advice is welcome.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

She sent it -- I have tracking numbers. :-) -- $263 later . . . I didn't realize it had an amp, which is very heavy and needed to be insured.

I hear you about gluten free -- it is not lower calorie, nor necessarily healthier, in general. For those of us who can't eat gluten, of course, it is healthier. I'm going to track down a video about it that is really funny. I'm not completely FODMAP, so I'm not sure in what ways it's more restrictive than just gf.

Franz has the best gluten free bread, in my family's opinion. Also gluten free brownies, gf corn bread, and gf pretzels are actually better than the gluten options. I ended up not satisfied with gf pasta, so I don't eat it much.

Cross contamination is a thing -- so even if it doesn't list wheat/gluten in the ingredients but says it was processed on machines that process wheat/gluten, he may want to stay away.

We have two toasters. Gluten is sticky, so I can't let my bread come anywhere near where their bread has been. I even have my own butter.

Any questions -- I might have answers.

Felicia

• OregonMother
    Gluten stand up: https://youtube.com/watch?v=Zky2ShG3XPk

When my son and I feel down about being gluten free, we either watch this or quote lines of it to each other. It's about 3 minutes long.

Felicia
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 678 Member
    Heather.... I admire you... and think you are a gutsy gal.

Betsy in NW Washingon