April 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 i wish i could just grab and go. I found out in october that after about 45 miles, most thingslook like crap to me. Nutrition mainly means packing things I'll still want to eat in the latet miles.

@MNLittleFinn what will you be packing for calories?
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @7lenny7 i wish i could just grab and go. I found out in october that after about 45 miles, most thingslook like crap to me. Nutrition mainly means packing things I'll still want to eat in the latet miles.

@MNLittleFinn what will you be packing for calories?

I have enough Tailwind for the whole thing. Dump, fill with water and go. Quesadillas are ok too, so I'll be having those at the aid stations, plus potato chips.... the csndy and stuff, or anything sweet just did not look good at all.

Tailwind worked great in October so im sticking with it. I'll be seeing what looks good at midnight too, but i want to have something I know I'll handle after hours on trail.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - how early do you get up to run? I recall another quote from the Notebooks of Lazarus Long:

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep."

@PastorVincent - If the wind were 27 mph and steady, I'd consider running in it today. Here, it's gusty. I went to the podiatrist today. My car rocked on its shocks at a stoplight, and I had to pay attention to hold my lane on the interstate. There are random power outages in the area, and we had blowing snow for the evening commute. Fortunately, I was home by then.

I made the executive decision that today will be an unplanned rest day. I don't want to take my car across town in traffic to the group run, and I don't particularly want to go out on local roads with drivers having possible control issues and probably not looking for some idiot out running in this weather. I could dress for the temperature and wind, but I'm concerned about traffic and random blowing tree branches.

Oh, well. That means I'll have more miles that I can run tomorrow, instead of having to limit myself to 6. :)
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn do you mean Lazarus Lake for that quote?
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    04/01/18 :::: 5.3 :::: 5.3
    04/02/18 :::: 3.6 :::: 8.9
    04/03/18 :::: 4.8 :::: 13.7
    04/04/18 :::: 1.5 :::: 15.2

Just a tiny run before my circuit training workout this morning. Didn't have time for more then and this afternoon, well the 50 mph winds are not too inviting. My fence blew over in my back yard and I'm pretty unhappy about that development as an end to my day. Guess I'll be taking Stella out on a leash only for a while. We also saw/heard two trees fall when I was walking her on the trail after work so I decided it was time to get out of there. Just hoping we don't lose power before this is all over. In the meantime, I'm over here having some wine.

• garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 "Satan's Sidewalk"...an apt name, and one I've never heard before!
    @7lenny7 and @MNLittleFinn You've both got this and we'll all be virtually cheering you on!!!

Monday the wind was blowing from the north, and it made for a slightly chilly run compared to recent temps. Tuesday, it came from the south, and made for a much warmer and more humid run. And then this morning, it came from the north again...nothing like the weather making its mind up about things.

I got in 15 miles this morning taking things easy in the chillier breeze. My ankle is still a little swollen, but it has definitely come down since I noticed it on Sunday so I'm not really bothered about it at all now; if things start to hurt, that's when I get concerned!

02 - 15.39
    03 - 13.55
    04 - 15.21

Total: 44.15 / 280 miles
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn do you mean Lazarus Lake for that quote?

Yeah. Autocorrect got it and i didnt notice until after an hour. I have no clue how it autocorrected lake to long.... stupid phone
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    I have enough Tailwind for the whole thing. Dump, fill with water and go. Quesadillas are ok too, so I'll be having those at the aid stations, plus potato chips.... the csndy and stuff, or anything sweet just did not look good at all. //.

@MNLittleFinn Read that as Quaalude's : which seemed rather an odd choice for Fueling even if it was your phone auto correcting - then went back and read it again.

Is there a live update site for race results??
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    I have enough Tailwind for the whole thing. Dump, fill with water and go. Quesadillas are ok too, so I'll be having those at the aid stations, plus potato chips.... the csndy and stuff, or anything sweet just did not look good at all. //.

@MNLittleFinn Read that as Quaalude's : which seemed rather an odd choice for Fueling even if it was your phone auto correcting - then went back and read it again.

Is there a live update site for race results??

There "should" be live updates each lap, according to the RD. But since they have to beam down their own 4G to the valley for it, it might not be perfect.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    The forecast for today was supposed to be 60 deg F with a bit of a breeze. So my plan was to drive home and immediately go for a long run outside. When I left the office it was nearer 40 deg F and absolutely bucketing down. I bailed and went to the gym instead and ran 7 miles on the treadmill. Not ideal, but I got into the zone and the time passed quite quickly.
  • JulieS3103
    JulieS3103 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    April 3 - 2 mile Treadmill run
    April 4 - 3 mile Treadmill run

5 miles so far/Goal 70 miles

Upcoming Races:
    4/28/18 Brown Deer 10k
    6/10/18 Manitowoc Half Marathon
    8/18/18 Madison Mini Half Marathon
    9/16/18 North Face Endurance 10k
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    3/1 = rest day...sort of (moving day)
    3/2 = 9.5 miles
    3/3 = Vinyasa yoga class and 3.5 miles
    3/4 = 3 dreadmill Miles and 20 minutes strength training

April mileage goal = 125 miles / April miles complete = 16 miles
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Tailwind worked great in October so im sticking with it. I'll be seeing what looks good at midnight too, but i want to have something I know I'll handle after hours on trail.

Yeah, must say pretty happy with Tailwind my self. Glad you turned me on to it a while back.

I have done several 20 mile runs with Tailwind now, and it is looking good for me to use in my first ultra come may. Not a fan of the taste, but it does seem to quench thirst much better than sports drinks, and I do not need to deal with gels while running. Figure that plus what is at the aid stations should be enough.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Another rest day for me yesterday. I wanted 10 but I hadn't worked on our bathroom renovation since before the kids came home for Easter and I knew if I ran instead I'd pay in the long run. So, I painted instead.

Tonight. Tonight I'll be running.

Since @MNLittleFinn brought it up I'll post some of my thoughts on the upcoming Zumbro race.

Training - I feel as ill-prepared for a race as I've ever felt. This IT band issue has really held back my miles and my training and while it's better, it's not totally resolved. I originally planned 8 runs of 20 miles or more for this cycle but I've only had 2. Last year when training for a 50K I had 6 runs of 20+ miles. I should have went for 50M last year!

Nutrition - I've done nothing to refine or practice my nutrition plan. My plan this year is to eat whatever looks good at the very well stocked aid stations. I will say, this race is set up great for AS support. You really don't have to carry much. The greatest distance between aid stations is 4.33 miles. I'll be going through an aid station 14 times in 50 miles. Eric will be going through 29 times in 100 miles! So, while I haven't practiced a nutrition plan, I'm not too worried about it. I'll grab a couple of gels along the way to keep with me, but other than that, it will be aid station buffet all the way.

Gear - I decided Sunday that I don't think I care for my Altra Lone Peaks after all. I think the toe box is too wide for me so I scrunch up my toes to try to get a better fit (ETA: that doesn't make sense, I know, but I can't figure out how to describe it better) and end up with the tips of my toes being sore. I couldn't figure out why that happened until @amymoreorless was asking about it (I think it was her). I'll have those shoes for one lap but will probably rely on my Cloudventures for the first and third lap. Again, more 20+ mile training runs would have helped figure this out.

Weather - While it's way to early to trust the forecast, *if* the forecast holds, we're in for a pretty muddy run. I doubt it can be as muddy as my Psycho Wyco in February, but it will not be a fast course. Since I was planning on hiking a third to a half of the course anyway, the mud won't slow me down much as it will other folks. And that Psycho Wyco race was perfect as mud run training. So I have that going for me.

The only thing that can stop me from finishing this race is my IT band. I can power though the pain, but I won't push it to the point where I think I might injure myself, or take me out of running more than a couple of weeks. There are plenty more races in my future. No reason to go all in on this one.

@7lenny7 Yes, I am the one with the toe scrunching problem. It is a hard bad habit to break. I have epic calluses at the ends of my toes now.

Good luck on your race!