Replies

• MyEvolvingJourney
    MyEvolvingJourney Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Hi @hk9mm welcome to the group!
  • MyEvolvingJourney
    Options
    Oh gosh. Today was a hard day at work. Technology just wasn't working right, making work difficult. I decided early on that I needed to be sure to practice self care when I got home. I've got essential oils going in my diffuser (lavender and bergamot) and I had a cup of decaf coffee when I got home. I love sipping on a cup of tea or decaf coffee in the early evening just because I find it calming. I did a little bit of stretching, and I might do some more. I take these steps, because I've learned that stress can trigger a binge for me. I've had a cookie and a piece of chocolate, and it's tracked! Instead of having 5 cookies and the rest of the chocolate bar. :smiley: Staying on track!
  • jm216
    jm216 Posts: 3,790 Member
    Options
    hk9mm wrote: »
    Hi all!
    This is my 2nd go around with logging & counting calories. 1st time I lost 20+ lbs (with exercise).
    I’ve been counting again for a month now, along with exercise, & I’m down 10 lbs.
    I’m only counting through the week & keeping the weekends to eat as I please. I think this helps me to stick with it M-F. Last weekend after eating & splurging on pop, I was very happy to see only a half pound gain.
    So keep up the good work everyone! It will pay off!

Welcome HK!
    Glad to have you... congrats on your 10 pound loss. :0)
  • jm216
    Options
    This is a nighttime motivational quote to help get you through snacking.
  • MyEvolvingJourney
    Options
    Great quote!
  • xFreudianSlip
    xFreudianSlip Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I love that attitude!
  • jm216
    Options
    Good morning!
    It’s another day closer to the weekend. :)
    Happy Thursday
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    hk9mm wrote: »
    Hi all!
    This is my 2nd go around with logging & counting calories. 1st time I lost 20+ lbs (with exercise).
    I’ve been counting again for a month now, along with exercise, & I’m down 10 lbs.
    I’m only counting through the week & keeping the weekends to eat as I please. I think this helps me to stick with it M-F. Last weekend after eating & splurging on pop, I was very happy to see only a half pound gain.
    So keep up the good work everyone! It will pay off!

Welcome to the group :smile: 10lbs is fantastic in 1 month. Do you have much weight to lose?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    Oh gosh. Today was a hard day at work. Technology just wasn't working right, making work difficult. I decided early on that I needed to be sure to practice self care when I got home. I've got essential oils going in my diffuser (lavender and bergamot) and I had a cup of decaf coffee when I got home. I love sipping on a cup of tea or decaf coffee in the early evening just because I find it calming. I did a little bit of stretching, and I might do some more. I take these steps, because I've learned that stress can trigger a binge for me. I've had a cookie and a piece of chocolate, and it's tracked! Instead of having 5 cookies and the rest of the chocolate bar. :smiley: Staying on track!

Way to keep on top of the stress! :smile:
  • MyEvolvingJourney
    Options
    I hope you all had a great day! Tomorrow's Friday! Woo hoo! :smiley:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    Thank goodness its Friday :smile: and we have a Bank Holiday weekend which is even better.. the weather is to be really good as well - makes a change!

Have a lovely weekend everyone. :smiley:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I don't normally have the time to check out diaries but occasionally I do...
    I have to say it pains me when I see people constantly eating under 1200 calories, there are very few people who can function healthily on that few calories (we're talking the very petite, the much older and lighter in weight people). Less that 1200 means our bodies wont be getting all the nutrients it needs. Its a sure way to crash and burn.

So I almost want to plead with any of you who might think of aiming to eating less than 1200 and say, don't do it. Its not sustainable. You will feel depleted of energy, you will be 'hangry' and eating prolonged low calories has a detrimental affect, hair falling out, brittle nails and loss of muscle mass. When we lose muscle mass. Bone density is also an issue if we don't fuel our bodies probably.

For any of you ladies who are on the wrong side of 40, we need good muscle mass to help us age healthier, hence the need for strength training as well as some cardio. Its lifting weights that promotes the growth of muscle and aids bone density strength.

Google calculate BMR, You'll find the number calculated is the number of calories your body needs to function and be healthy if you were in a coma - that's without getting out of bed and doing all the things we do in our day. My BMR at 5ft 2 and 125lbs is 1290 cals. So personally I would need to ensure I eat more than 1290 cals a day. Then there's the NEAT and and TDEE calculations. Those are also useful to have. Anyone with Fitbits or similar will know their daily TDEE as these trackers calculate them and they are pretty accurate, within 5% or so.

The NEAT is the BMR plus the calories we expend just doing our usual day to day things, thats really what MFP goes by. And then the TDEE, that is BMR + NEAT + Purposeful exercise. And to give you an example of myself again, I am lightly active so my TDEE averages 2000 cals. So IF I wanted to lose weight I would aim to not eat any more than 20% below that TDEE (that would be 1600).

I hope I'm not bombarding you gals with too much information, but as I always say, knowledge is power and once we understand how our bodies burn calories and know what personally is the right number for us to eat, then the weight loss process works great and we lose weight in a healthy way.

OK, that's my little 10 cents of advice today.

Ruth <3
  • jm216
    Options
    Ruth,

You always have great advice! We appreciate your 10 cents. :)

Yesterday I was off the wagon with logging... only logged breakfast, and I overate my snacks. Today is a new day, so it’s back to complete logging. I like what Ruth said awhile back... get back on the wagon as quickly as you can... don’t let it get away from you.

Happy Friday!

Jill
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    jm216 wrote: »
    Ruth,

You always have great advice! We appreciate your 10 cents. :)

Yesterday I was off the wagon with logging... only logged breakfast, and I overate my snacks. Today is a new day, so it’s back to complete logging. I like what Ruth said awhile back... get back on the wagon as quickly as you can... don’t let it get away from you.

Happy Friday!

Jill

Hi Jill, You know you might have surprised yourself if you went back and logged everything you did eat yesterday and found you didn't do too bad. In fact I would still say, if you have time, go back into yesterdays and log, just out of interest.
    But yes, get todays logged and keep logging until it becomes a habit like brushing your teeth :smile:
  • jm216
    Options
    Ruth...you are so wise.
    I did go back and face my food choices from yesterday, and I logged them. I was way over my calories, but by logging them today, I felt better and less guilty about it. I wrestled with a bag of potato chips yesterday...and I lost the match.

Today is a new day, and I've got this. Have to stop the mindless eating, and change it to mindful portioning.

I love your logging and brushing your teeth analogy! It makes perfect sense. You brush your teeth everyday, and you should log everyday too.

Thanks for being there for me! <3

Have I told you all that I love this group??
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    edited May 2018
    Options
    We love you for starting this group <3

I'm glad you logged yesterday's food, it's a learning curve and one you'll not want to repeat very often. Seeing it there in black and white means we have to think twice about it.

Do you pre log your meals?? I find I'm a creature of habit - similar breakfasts, 3 or 4 lunch choices and 5 or 6 dinner choices which I eat regularly. Once they're logged once I SAVE the meal so its there for again under the saved name. The quantities can be adjusted easily too :smile: the more you log the more data you have and the less time it takes to log your whole day. I reckon 2 mins sorts my day and if I change something as the day goes on it's easy to edit.

Have a great weekend :smile:
  • MyEvolvingJourney
    Options
    I don't normally have the time to check out diaries but occasionally I do...
    I have to say it pains me when I see people constantly eating under 1200 calories, there are very few people who can function healthily on that few calories (we're talking the very petite, the much older and lighter in weight people). Less that 1200 means our bodies wont be getting all the nutrients it needs. Its a sure way to crash and burn.

So I almost want to plead with any of you who might think of aiming to eating less than 1200 and say, don't do it. Its not sustainable. You will feel depleted of energy, you will be 'hangry' and eating prolonged low calories has a detrimental affect, hair falling out, brittle nails and loss of muscle mass. When we lose muscle mass. Bone density is also an issue if we don't fuel our bodies probably.

For any of you ladies who are on the wrong side of 40, we need good muscle mass to help us age healthier, hence the need for strength training as well as some cardio. Its lifting weights that promotes the growth of muscle and aids bone density strength.

Google calculate BMR, You'll find the number calculated is the number of calories your body needs to function and be healthy if you were in a coma - that's without getting out of bed and doing all the things we do in our day. My BMR at 5ft 2 and 125lbs is 1290 cals. So personally I would need to ensure I eat more than 1290 cals a day. Then there's the NEAT and and TDEE calculations. Those are also useful to have. Anyone with Fitbits or similar will know their daily TDEE as these trackers calculate them and they are pretty accurate, within 5% or so.

The NEAT is the BMR plus the calories we expend just doing our usual day to day things, thats really what MFP goes by. And then the TDEE, that is BMR + NEAT + Purposeful exercise. And to give you an example of myself again, I am lightly active so my TDEE averages 2000 cals. So IF I wanted to lose weight I would aim to not eat any more than 20% below that TDEE (that would be 1600).

I hope I'm not bombarding you gals with too much information, but as I always say, knowledge is power and once we understand how our bodies burn calories and know what personally is the right number for us to eat, then the weight loss process works great and we lose weight in a healthy way.

OK, that's my little 10 cents of advice today.

Ruth <3

I agree so much! And that info on BMR is really helpful! I was having difficulty figuring out what my calories should be. If I set my activity as "lightly active" I get 1600 calories. But here's where it gets tricky: according to my fitbit, and I'm not sure how accurate it is, but it says I'm buying 2500 calories a day. I work in food service, so I'm on my feet and walking all day. So 1600 seemed too low. "Active" setting gave me 1960 calories. For a month, I did 1900 and I was gaining and losing the same 2-3 pounds repeatedly. Your comment that it might be maintenance calories really helped! So I lowered it just slightly. And I lost this week! Woo hoo! Now to just keep it going...:)
  • MyEvolvingJourney
    Options
    burning not buying
  • MyEvolvingJourney
    Options
    Good morning! Happy Saturday! What are you up to today? I've got grocery shopping and cleaning to do today and I might get out for a walk. I've got a question for you. I've seen some people count cleaning toward their exercise calories. What are your thoughts on this? I'm on the fence about it.
  • mihalickjoanne
    mihalickjoanne Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am in a bit of a valley today as stressful work week ends. I just don’t feel like trying today. How do you all nurture yourself when you’re just so tired but wired from stress?